Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Well, since we are discussing classic aeroplanes, I think it's time for several quick bonus questions before we head back to the latest quiz items courtesy of the intrepid and irrepressible Seat 2A!

1) One version of the Britten-Norman Islander, being the BN-2T, featured turboprop engines. Identify these engine types.

2) The Britten-Norman Trislander featured three (3) reciprocating engines. Were turboprop engines ever offered on this aircraft as well?

3) The Trislander could also be equipped with an auxiliary propulsion system. Identify exactly what this system was.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:58 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Just proves the old adage about airplanes designed by committee....
For a little read about aforementioned committee :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brabazon-Com.../dp/0752443747

Actually, as one of the committee was Sir Geoffrey De Havilland, owner and chief designer of his company whose aircraft types we have been mentioning, they really should have done better. Anyway, I'll get this thread too far off topic if we get into all this.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by WHBM
Anyway, I'll get this thread too far off topic if we get into all this.
Yes, and I've only scratched the surface of French designs - Languedoc, Armagnac and the Duke's Pants.

Then there's the Italians...
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:29 am

Yes, and I've only scratched the surface of French designs - Languedoc, Armagnac and the Duke's Pants.
Ah, the Duck's Pants. One used to come in to a small airport close to where I was a kid, in the late 1960s, just on a few afternoons a week. It used to get just a handful of passengers. Hey, this can be a quiz question. Anyone like to guess its route ? Or even speculate what type we are speaking about ?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond

Then there's the Italians...
Hey, this is getting too technically obscure -- when you say Languedoc and Armagnac, you're getting into my specialty of miniature liquors!

And no, WHBM I obviously don't know what you're talking about.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Which airline served BOS-PIT, prior to Allegheny's monopoly on the route?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Which airline served BOS-PIT, prior to Allegheny's monopoly on the route?
Hello again moondog, welcome back.

I'll go for TWA on Boston to Pittsburgh, both nonstop and stopping at Hartford/Springfield.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hello again moondog, welcome back.

I'll go for TWA on Boston to Pittsburgh, both nonstop and stopping at Hartford/Springfield.
Correct, sir!

I'm sorry I can't think of more creative questions. My uncle bought me one of those phone book style OAGs when I was around 6 or 7 (~1981), and I studied it cover to cover (e.g. I knew about those DL night fares to the extent that I often encouraged my mom to book them), but of course, it's long gone, so I'm resorting to asking questions from memory only.

ETA: From that same OAG, I distinctly recall that BOS-HNL was $904 in C RT on TW, while BOS-LAX/SFO were double the price. As such, I urged a family vacation to Hawaii.

Last edited by moondog; Feb 20, 2013 at 12:39 pm
Old Feb 20, 2013, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I'm sorry I can't think of more creative questions.
Not at all, it's all interesting stuff to be reminded of and chat about,please write more about such points. How did TWA get such a strong presence in Pittsburgh ? Why did they do so well with the movie world over in LA ? What were the differences in cultural style over here in Europe between Pan Am and TWA (a whole discussion point in itself) ?

Now. Back to the Duck's Pants. Come on team !
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Not at all, it's all interesting stuff to be reminded of and chat about,please write more about such points. How did TWA get such a strong presence in Pittsburgh ? Why did they do so well with the movie world over in LA ? What were the differences in cultural style over here in Europe between Pan Am and TWA (a whole discussion point in itself) ?

Well, you've got me there, WHBM......although I am looking forward to the answer! :-:

Now, we did enjoy some superb duck salami paired with a wonderful Cabernet Sauvignon at the certain winery located not too far from PRB over the holidays.....but that's another story!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
OK, I took the challenge and sweated out the research, and in an article on the 13 Ugliest Airplanes I found photo number 11, which is the French Deux-Ponts -- "known to a generation of British schoolboys as the Duck's Pants," an unpressurized double-decker powered by 4 Pratt & Whitney radials, that could seat up to 135 pax. The article is really a hoot, with photos of a lot of ugly but interesting aircraft.

I will definitely bookmark this page for the next question about some weird plane.

Great question! Do I win something?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
OK, I took the challenge and sweated out the research, and in an article on the 13 Ugliest Airplanes I found photo number 11, which is the French Deux-Ponts -- "known to a generation of British schoolboys as the Duck's Pants," an unpressurized double-decker powered by 4 Pratt & Whitney radials, that could seat up to 135 pax. The article is really a hoot, with photos of a lot of ugly but interesting aircraft.

I will definitely bookmark this page for the next question about some weird plane.

Great question! Do I win something?
And now we know that the A380 actually had a prehistoric relative......
Old Feb 20, 2013, 4:15 pm

And now, after that detour into aircraft history, back to Seat 2A's questions::

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Being as the October 15th, 1981 edition of the OAG has been such a treasure trove of questions for schedule and route buffs, here are fifteen more questions from that terrific tome:

8. Between New York and Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, two airlines offered nonstop service. One of them, the Dominican national airline, served the route with a twice weekly 727 flight. The other airline was a U.S. carrier that served the route with a twice weekly flight operated in an all economy configuration. Name this U.S. airline and the equipment used on this route.
This would be Capitol Air (CL), not to be confused with Capital Airlines (CA), which I flew to a job interview in Youngstown (YNG) back in 1963. The CL service to POP in the DR in 1981 was likely a DC-8, although I believe they used some DC-10's later.
9. Which U.S. airline operated the only nonstop flights between Grand Turk, BWI and Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic?
Staying with POP service, I think it was Air Florida (QH) with a 737.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by miniliq
8. Between New York and Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, two airlines offered nonstop service. One of them, the Dominican national airline, served the route with a twice weekly 727 flight. The other airline was a U.S. carrier that served the route with a twice weekly flight operated in an all economy configuration. Name thus U.S. airline and the equipment used on this route.

This would be Capitol Air (CL), not to be confused with Capital Airlines (CA), which I flew to a job interview in Youngstown (YNG) back in 1963. The CL service to POP in the DR in 1981 was likely a DC-8, although I believe they used some DC-10's later.[/I]

9. Which U.S. airline operated the only nonstop flights between Grand Turk, BWI and Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic?

Staying with POP service, I think it was Air Florida (QH) with a 737.
Good on ya, miniliq! You’re correct on both counts. Capitol Air operated a DC-8-61 on Wednesdays and Saturdays between JFK and Puerto Plata. Dominicana countered with its twice weekly 727-100 on Wednesdays and Sundays.

Good call on the Air Florida flights between GDT and POP. They were operated thrice weekly with a 737-200.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 20, 2013 at 9:08 pm
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

5. This airline offers the only service of any type between Birmingham, Alabama and Houston, Texas with a single daily nonstop flight. Which airline is this?

6. This airline operated the only nonstop flights between Los Angeles and Baltimore. Both were operated with the same aircraft type but interestingly, one flight was operated in an all-coach configuration while the other offered both First Class and Coach. Name the airline and the equipment used.
5. I believe this would be USAir with DC-9-30 service.

6. Sure sounds like World Airways with DC-10 service.

As for the aircraft with a first class section, I wasn't aware that World offered such front cabin service; however, perhaps they had leased a D10 that was in two class configuration and did not want to reconfigure the aircraft.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.