Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by wrp96
Wasn't the only other US operator of 717s at that time Hawaiian?
Originally Posted by jlemon
I believe Hawaiian began operating the Boeing 717 on interisland routes back in 2001 and that they decided to lease several more 717s following Aloha ceasing interisland passenger flights.

And there was also one other U.S. based Boeing 717 operator in 2005.

Bonus: Name this airline. I do not think it was American operating aircraft formerly flown by TWA....
Midwest?
Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by strickerj
Midwest?
Bonus: Correct! The air carrier formerly known as Midwest Express was operating nonstop Boeing 717 service between its Milwaukee hub and ATL, BOS, DFW, DEN, MCI, LGA, EWR, MCO, PHL and DCA in 2005 in addition to operating several various MD-80 models at this same time.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
28. It's 1989 and you are on your way to Montevideo from Los Angeles for a meeting. Your flight only operates once a week and makes four stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all four stops in order and the equipment. It wasn't Aerolineas Argentinas or LAN Chile and stops were not made at PTY, LIM or GIG.The flight was operated with a 707 and stops were made at MEX, SCL and EZE.
28- this would seem to leave only two other South American 707 operators, namely Ecuatoriana and Avianca ... I have to think EU would have served both Quito/UIO and Guayaquil/GYE, which would make it a total of five stops, so AV with the missing (second) stop at Bogota/BOG appears to be the answer we're looking for
Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I will try to clean up a couple of these..

28. It's 1989 and you are on your way to Montevideo from Los Angeles for a meeting. Your flight only operates once a week and makes four stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all four stops in order and the equipment.
It wasn't Aerolineas Argentinas or LAN Chile and stops were not made at PTY, LIM or GIG.The flight was operated with a 707 and stops were made at MEX, SCL and EZE.

At this point there do not seem to be a lot of options left. I don't recall the Uruguayan national carrier Pluna - which operated its 707(s) well into the early 2000s - ever serving Los Angeles. However, I do recall Ecuatoriana and its colorful four engine Boeings serving Los Angeles. As such, let's go with Ecuatoriana operating LAX-MEX-UIO-SCL-EZE-MVD. (I see jrl767 has opted for Avianca - also equally viable. One of us has got to be correct!)

On a side note, back in 1983 I flew aboard EU's 720B (ex-AA) and 707 (ex-PA). The 720 still had the old boxy service modules above each row of seats and the interior may well have have been original AA issue.

37. If you wanted to fly nonstop on board an Airbus A319 from Los Angeles to Boston at this time there was only one choice. What airline would you call?
It wasn't United.

Not too many transcon A319 operators. United would have been my first guess as well, but now that it's off the board, let's go with Northwest feeding its European services out of Boston.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
28- this would seem to leave only two other South American 707 operators, namely Ecuatoriana and Avianca ... I have to think EU would have served both Quito/UIO and Guayaquil/GYE, which would make it a total of five stops, so AV with the missing (second) stop at Bogota/BOG appears to be the answer we're looking for
28. Yep it was Avianca. Here's the sched....

AV 073: Los Angeles (LAX) 8:20p - 1:45a+1 Mexico City (MEX) 2:45a - 8:00a Bogota (BOG) 9:00a - 4:35p Santiago (SCL) 5:25p - 7:05p Buenos Aires Ezeiza (EZE) 7:55p - 8:30p Montevideo (MVD)
Freq: Saturdays only
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Yep....
Equip: 707
Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I will try to clean up a couple of these..

28. It's 1989 and you are on your way to Montevideo from Los Angeles for a meeting. Your flight only operates once a week and makes four stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all four stops in order and the equipment.
It wasn't Aerolineas Argentinas or LAN Chile and stops were not made at PTY, LIM or GIG.The flight was operated with a 707 and stops were made at MEX, SCL and EZE.

At this point there do not seem to be a lot of options left. I don't recall the Uruguayan national carrier Pluna - which operated its 707(s) well into the early 2000s - ever serving Los Angeles. However, I do recall Ecuatoriana and its colorful four engine Boeings serving Los Angeles. As such, let's go with Ecuatoriana operating LAX-MEX-UIO-SCL-EZE-MVD. (I see jrl767 has opted for Avianca - also equally viable. One of us has got to be correct!)

On a side note, back in 1983 I flew aboard EU's 720B (ex-AA) and 707 (ex-PA). The 720 still had the old boxy service modules above each row of seats and the interior may well have have been original AA issue.

37. If you wanted to fly nonstop on board an Airbus A319 from Los Angeles to Boston at this time there was only one choice. What airline would you call?
It wasn't United.

Not too many transcon A319 operators. United would have been my first guess as well, but now that it's off the board, let's go with Northwest feeding its European services out of Boston.
28. Please see post # 23015 above....

37. Ah, it wasn't Northwest either....
Old Jun 4, 2021, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
meant to include this with my prior post
28- ... I have to think EU would have served both Quito/UIO and Guayaquil/GYE ...
Quito is at an elevation of ~9000 ft; when fueled for the ~2350-mile UIO-SCL flight, a 707 would have probably been severely payload-limited due to takeoff performance (hence the ~175-mile hop to GYE which is at sea level)
Old Jun 4, 2021, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Q F Seventy Five (The Horse)

This seems as good a thread as any to post this. Was just watching a horse race from BEL and the early pacesetter was a horse named Q F Seventy Five. QF Seventy Five faded late and finished third. With the horse's sire being Australian-bred Vancouver, is it safe to assume that QF75 was once a flight serving YVR?

https://www.equibase.com/profiles/Re...istry=T&rbt=TB
Old Jun 4, 2021, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
33. This U.S.-based air carrier ran a print ad in 1995 which made this claim:

_____(airline)_____ : The Newest Jet Fleet of Any Air Carrier

The ad also specified the new jet operated by this airline. Name this air carrier as well as the aircraft type.

The following four quiz items all have a time line of 2005....

---
Wild guesses, so don't laugh!

33. Western Pacific Airlines, Boeing 737-300
37. Spirit Airlines
Old Jun 5, 2021, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf

The ad also specified the new jet operated by this airline. Name this air carrier as well as the aircraft type.

Wild guesses, so don't laugh!

33. Western Pacific Airlines, Boeing 737-300

37. Spirit Airlines
These are both great guesses! However.....

33. It wasn't Western Pacific and the featured aircraft wasn't a B737-300.

37. It wasn't Spirit.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Jun 5, 2021, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Herb687
This seems as good a thread as any to post this. Was just watching a horse race from BEL and the early pacesetter was a horse named Q F Seventy Five. QF Seventy Five faded late and finished third. With the horse's sire being Australian-bred Vancouver, is it safe to assume that QF75 was once a flight serving YVR?
Maybe the old flight that use to tag on from SFO. When QF restarted its own flights to Canada in the very early 2000s (started 2000 and ended 2001) QF 3/4 served YVR and the one to YYZ may have been 1/2.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please limit your response to two per day so that all may participate. And as always, please be as specific as you can with your answers including specifying the actual aircraft type if possible. Thanks!

The next three quiz items have a time line of 1979.....

23. You are in Mexico City and need to travel to Denver. You're in no rush and wouldn't it be nice if there was an interesting milk run flight from MEX to DEN? Well, you're in luck as there is a daily service which makes no less than five stops en route! Identify the air carrier, all five stops in order and the aircraft. ANSWERED

24. If you wanted to fly from Aguadilla in Puerto Rico nonstop to Miami, there was only one airline to call with this air carrier operating service three days a week. Name this airline and the equipment it operated on the route. The aircraft in question had four engines.

25. You are in Baton Rouge where you've just had dinner with friends and have now received an urgent message. Can you be in Houston the next morning for a very important meeting at 7:00 am? A quick check of schedules reveals the last flight of the evening from Baton Rouge to Houston departs from BTR just after 9:30 pm and arrives into IAH just before 11:30 pm. This flight operates daily and makes one stop en route. You book a seat and are on your way. Identify the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft. ANSWERED

26. In 1985, Air Wisconsin was operating two flights every weekday nonstop from Chicago O'Hare to this destination. Both flights were operated with BAC One-Eleven equipment with Air Wisconsin competing with a major air carrier on this particular route with the other airline operating three daily nonstop flights from ORD. Identify this destination as well as the air carrier that Air Wisconsin was competing with on the route. ANSWERED

30. It's the spring of 1991 and you are on your way from Toronto to Chicago. You found an interesting flight which operates six days a week and makes two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the equipment. ANSWERED

31. Now it's the fall of 1991. You are in Jacksonville and have been asked to attend a meeting in Mexico City. Much to your surprise, you find there is a daily direct flight from JAX to MEX which makes four stops en route. Name the air carrier, all four stops in order and the aircraft. ANSWERED

32. It's a beautiful evening in the spring of 1995 and you are in Barbados at the yacht club where you've just finished inspecting a sailboat that's for sale. The cat is in excellent condition and you're ready to do the deal. And then you are informed the owner is in San Juan and you will need to personally meet with him in order to finalize the transaction. A quick check of schedules reveals there is a seat available on the first nonstop flight of the day from BGI to SJU. This flight only operates three days a week; however, it does operate the next morning. What air carrier will you be flying with and what is the equipment?

The ad also specified the new jet operated by this airline. Name this air carrier as well as the aircraft type. ANSWERED

The next three quiz items also have a time line of 1995....

34. You've just hopped off a sailboat in Nassau and need to attend a meeting in Tampa before heading to Colorado for a snow skiing trip with friends. Ah, here's a convenient nonstop flight from NAS to TPA which operates five days a week. What airline will you be flying with and on what type of aircraft? It wasn't Trinity Airlines or Laker. The equipment was a B727-200.

35. The meeting in Tampa went very well and now you're off to Steamboat Springs. You've actually found a direct flight that operates daily from TPA to HDN with one stop being made en route and better yet, first class is available. Identify the air carrier, the stop and the equipment. It wasn't American, Continental or United and the stop was not made at DFW, IAH or ORD. The aircraft was a B727-200.

36. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Boston to Allentown at this time, there was only one airline to call. The air carrier in question was operating two nonstops a day from BOS to ABE with the same aircraft type being operated on both flights. Name this airline and the aircraft. It wasn't USAir or USAir Express. These flights were operated with jet equipment and the service wasn't a code share operation.

The following three quiz items have a time line of 2005....

37. If you wanted to fly nonstop on board an Airbus A319 from Los Angeles to Boston at this time there was only one choice. What airline would you call? ANSWERED

38. You are in Cancun on a Monday evening when the phone rings in your hotel room. Can you be in Boston for a meeting this Wednesday morning? A quick check of schedules reveals a nonstop flight from CUN to BOS which operates three days a week including every Tuesday afternoon. You book a seat. Name the air carrier and the equipment.

40. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Edmonton to Los Angeles at this time, there was only one airline to call with this air carrier operating just one flight every day from YEG to LAX. Name the airline and the aircraft type. It was America West Express operated by Mesa Airlines with a _____________. The aircraft in question wasn't a CRJ700.
Making good progress here on a wet and soggy Saturday. We are currently under a Flash Flood Watch and River Flood Warning in the LFT area....and hurricane season is now underway as well. Thankfully, there are no tropical weather systems in the Atlantic, the Caribbean or the Gulf of Mexico at the present time. However, we have been receiving lots of rain for over a month now with this past May being the second wettest in 80 years as we received over two feet of rain during the month. Fortunately, the sand bags and the rum are ready to go on standby should they be needed due to high water.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 9, 2021 at 10:25 am Reason: answer updates
Old Jun 5, 2021, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

30. It's the spring of 1991 and you are on your way from Toronto to Chicago. You found an interesting flight which operates six days a week and makes two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the equipment.
30- continuing the theme of questions about YYZ trans-border operations, I see

I believe USAir took over Eastern’s route to Buffalo/BUF, so a hop from there to Pittsburgh/PIT and thence ORD is certainly plausible; let’s go with a 737-300

31. Now it's the fall of 1991. You are in Jacksonville and have been asked to attend a meeting in Mexico City. Much to your surprise, you find there is a daily direct flight from JAX to MEX which makes four stops en route. Name the air carrier, all four stops in order and the aircraft.
31- while I can think of several U.S. airlines that served both JAX and MEX, the only one that wouldn’t have had a *really* roundabout routing is American, thanks to their two smaller southeastern hubs … I’ll offer a 727-223 via Raleigh/Durham (RDU), Nashville (BNA), Memphis (MEM), and Dallas (DFW)
Old Jun 5, 2021, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

30- continuing the theme of questions about YYZ trans-border operations, I see

I believe USAir took over Eastern’s route to Buffalo/BUF, so a hop from there to Pittsburgh/PIT and thence ORD is certainly plausible; let’s go with a 737-300

31- while I can think of several U.S. airlines that served both JAX and MEX, the only one that wouldn’t have had a *really* roundabout routing is American, thanks to their two smaller southeastern hubs … I’ll offer a 727-223 via Raleigh/Durham (RDU), Nashville (BNA), Memphis (MEM), and Dallas (DFW)

30. USAir with the second stop being Pittsburgh: Yep!

First stop being Buffalo with the equipment being a B737-300: Nope!

31. American with a B727-200 with stops in Nashville and Dallas/Fort Worth: Yep!

Stops at Raleigh/Durham and Memphis: Nope!
Old Jun 5, 2021, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

30- iirc US served Rochester/ROC from YYZ as well; the question now is how much smaller of a jet are we looking at … start with a 737-200

31- few options on a reasonably direct BNA-DFW routing besides Little Rock/LIT, but I’m not sure that would have supported a 72S, so I’ll say New Orleans/MSY; in terms of a tag between JAX and BNA, a look at a map suggests Savannah/SAV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.