Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2021, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
13- April 1975 OAG shows RW812 with DC9 equipment rather than D9S, so the question is evidently based on a different month

it still makes me wonder how airlines were able to accomplish sub-15-minute stops at these small intermediate points; obviously they didn't top off the fuel tanks every time, and the use of integral airstairs or stair trucks rather than jetways cut a few minutes as well
Yep, I used a Hughes Airwest system timetable for this one instead of the OAG. And concerning the short ground times, I remember when RW operated DC9-30 service into Santa Maria. The aircraft would usually be turned in around 10 minutes as pax loads into and out of SMX were normally very light.
Old May 10, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA
it still makes me wonder how airlines were able to accomplish sub-15-minute stops at these small intermediate points; obviously they didn't top off the fuel tanks every time, and the use of integral airstairs or stair trucks rather than jetways cut a few minutes as well
Range of reasons. Smaller loads off/on with a milk run, maybe only 10-20 at each point. No reserved seating. NO huge bags in the passenger cabin, all in/out with professional loader in the hold. No jetways. No nose-in stands, just circle in front of the terminal. No 10th for departure on the runway.

And long-term, professional, directly-employed, proud of their airline ramp and gate staff.
Old May 10, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
along with no refueling, let's not forget some stations where pilots would only shut down the left-side engine(s)

Originally Posted by WHBM
... No 10th for departure on the runway.
very often the flight with a 10-minute thru stop was the only flight at the terminal for several hours
Old May 10, 2021, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Range of reasons. Smaller loads off/on with a milk run, maybe only 10-20 at each point. No reserved seating. NO huge bags in the passenger cabin, all in/out with professional loader in the hold. No jetways. No nose-in stands, just circle in front of the terminal. No 10th for departure on the runway.

And long-term, professional, directly-employed, proud of their airline ramp and gate staff.
This was precisely the case at Santa Maria when Hughes Airwest was operating jet service.
Old May 10, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA
along with no refueling, let's not forget some stations where pilots would only shut down the left-side engine(s)
I think the Saab 340 was the first prop aircraft to omit an APU, but use the starboard engine's generator to power the aircraft systems on the ground, with a "propeller brake" to hold the propeller stationary while the passengers and bags went in/out on the port side.

It must have worked fine on the prototypes, but a periodic issue was the propeller brake would stick firmly On when it was time to depart. Happened on a Crossair Saab (an early user) at London City, and apparently many other places, just wouldn't release. It of course meant the flight, fully loaded, had to be cancelled.
Old May 10, 2021, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by teddybear99
Why take them down? It is nice to see memorabilia that people have collected over the years. If someone gets in a bind financially, it could be sold off to raise funds as there is always collectors out there. I wish I could find Old OAG's to peruse to come up with questions not so easily found on sites like Departed Flights and the such. As I am no longer in an industry that supports air travel, I am not as much as an AVGEEK that I used to be.
Thanks, TB99. Truth be told, it became obvious some years ago that nobody would ever offer me anywhere near the value of this collection were I to put it up for sale - and of those that would offer to buy such an eclectic collection - the vast majority would be fellow collectors, most of whom are older dudes in their 60s and 70s. They'd likely cherry pick it for what cards they don't have and sell off the rest. In a perfect world, I'd come across some young collector who sincerely appreciates the value of these cards - not for their financial value but rather "Oh wow! An East African VC10!!". I'd happily give such a person the collection. The problem is most people under 30 have no idea what a VC10 is and again, the old guys are too financially value oriented for my tastes. I never much cared for those guys.

Who knows - maybe the Smithsonian would take it. Just kidding, of course. While a museum sounds nice, the ability to peruse the 100+ binders and enjoy the cards therein would be difficult to safely allow. Regardless, I still enjoy adding to it. After 50+ years, it's taken on a life of its own.

As for short enroute stop times, I remember flying Frontier Convair 580s all around the mountain west. If I remember correctly, they'd shut both engines down and roll a portable Hobart APU up to the airplane for power. Most stops were not much more than 20 minutes and one big difference as WHBM has pointed out was that people didn't drag all their baggage onboard. Those shelves above our seats were for hats, coats and pillows. Even in the seventies, when airlines began catering to onboard baggage, they'd often install a baggage shelf suitable for a dozen bags or so. How times have changed... Note the mention of carry on baggage containers in F & Y in the ad below...

strickerj likes this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 10, 2021 at 9:24 pm
Old May 11, 2021, 8:06 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Thanks, TB99. Truth be told, it became obvious some years ago that nobody would ever offer me anywhere near the value of this collection were I to put it up for sale - and of those that would offer to buy such an eclectic collection - the vast majority would be fellow collectors, most of whom are older dudes in their 60s and 70s. They'd likely cherry pick it for what cards they don't have and sell off the rest. In a perfect world, I'd come across some young collector who sincerely appreciates the value of these cards - not for their financial value but rather "Oh wow! An East African VC10!!". I'd happily give such a person the collection. The problem is most people under 30 have no idea what a VC10 is and again, the old guys are too financially value oriented for my tastes. I never much cared for those guys.

Who knows - maybe the Smithsonian would take it. Just kidding, of course. While a museum sounds nice, the ability to peruse the 100+ binders and enjoy the cards therein would be difficult to safely allow. Regardless, I still enjoy adding to it. After 50+ years, it's taken on a life of its own.
I'm only 36; does that count?
Have you by chance scanned the collection? You could make digital copies available online while keeping the originals safely in storage. My wife works for a private collector that's doing that for an archive of Civil War documents. It's slow and tedious but it's worth it to preserve a part of history.
Old May 11, 2021, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

9. Name the airline that ran a print ad in 1970 with this headline:

THE EXECUTIVE JET. The convenience of the office. The comforts of home.

It wasn't Pan Am. The aircraft operated by the airline in question were not business jets but were mainline jetliners in scheduled passenger service. Hint: this air carrier was not based in the U.S.

18. From Philadelphia you need to travel to Dayton. You've found a convenient early afternoon flight which operates daily with just one stop being made. Name the air carrier, the stop and the equipment. It wasn't USAir, Republic, TWA, Delta , Midway, Eastern, Allegheny or Ozark. The stop was made at CVG, the aircraft was a DC9-30 and the time line here is the late spring of 1979.
Last call for the above! And I shall provide the answers tomorrow should there be no takers.

Last edited by jlemon; May 11, 2021 at 2:48 pm Reason: answer update
Old May 11, 2021, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
18. From Philadelphia you need to travel to Dayton. You've found a convenient early afternoon flight which operates daily with just one stop being made. Name the air carrier, the stop and the equipment.
It wasn't USAir, Republic, TWA or Delta.
The stop was made at CVG, the aircraft was a DC9-30 and the time line here is the late spring of 1979.

Well it seems all the heavy lifting has been done on this one, leaving us to select a single US airline - one that operated the DC-9-30 in 1979 and was not US, RC, TW or DL. Hmm... well, we're shortly after deregulation here. Midway was a D9S operator, but early on was a dedicated hub and spoke operation out of MDW. The only other option that comes to mind for flights east of the Mississippi is Eastern Airlines. The routing just doesn't seem very Eastern - unless maybe it continues on to St. Louis, and frankly PHL-CVG-DAY just screams US or TW with RC another possibility. You've definitely done some nice research here, Mr. Lemon. I'm going to go with Eastern if only because I can't think of any other DC-9-30 operators that fit the bill. So - picture me sitting here with fingers crossed...
Old May 11, 2021, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by strickerj
Have you by chance scanned the collection? You could make digital copies available online while keeping the originals safely in storage.
I have not. There are two reasons for this - One is of course the amount of time involved. At present I've got too many other things that I'd like to do first such as re-editing all of my trip reports and getting some of the more extensive trips in book form. The other is that many of the cards I've acquired over the past 40 years have come from independent publishers and as such do not have the universal value of an airline issue card. These days very few airlines still publish postcards of their aircraft and indeed postcards as a whole have become less poplar in the era of quick and easy internet based communication.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by strickerj
Have you by chance scanned the collection? You could make digital copies available online while keeping the originals safely in storage.
I have not. There are two reasons for this - One is of course the amount of time involved. At present I've got too many other things that I'd like to do first such as re-editing all of my trip reports and getting some of the more extensive trips in book form. The other is that many of the cards I've acquired over the past 40 years have come from independent publishers and as such do not have the universal value of an airline issue card. These days very few airlines still publish postcards of their aircraft and indeed postcards as a whole have become less poplar in the era of quick and easy internet based communication.
Old May 11, 2021, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Responding to Seat 2A......

18. Ah, it wasn't Eastern nor was it Midway or Republic (with the latter not coming into existence until the summer of 1979).

The clue here is the time line....
Old May 11, 2021, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

18. Ah, it wasn't Eastern nor was it Midway or Republic (with the latter not coming into existence until the summer of 1979).

The clue here is the time line....
Well, with the mention of it not being US Air, I'd moved on but depending upon when in 1979 this was, there's really no other choice than Allegheny Airlines aboard a DC-9-31 Vista Jet
Old May 11, 2021, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

Allegheny changed its name to USAir in Oct 1979

(172 posts later ... )
and note the same time stamp on answers
Old May 11, 2021, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Allegheny changed its name to USAir in Oct 1979. (172 posts later ... )
and note the same time stamp on answers
In that case, it's time for me to move on and let other more knowledgeable participants solve this one. Good luck, gang!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.