Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
AL777 PIT-ORD was my first flight on a D95 (27 Dec 75, in the middle of a Liberty Fare jaunt)

23- my first metaphorical dart landed near Byron Airport which is 41 miles from San Jose/SJC and 42 miles from Oakland/OAK ... as either of those would be a feasible stop for RC between PHX and SEA, I’ll offer them sequentially in the interest of reducing downline back-and-forth
23. It was Oakland. Here's the sched....

RW 8: Mazatlan (MZT) 12:45p - 2:40p Phoenix (PHX) 3:45p - 5:32p Oakland (OAK) 6:05p - 7:49p Seattle (SEA)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: C/Y
Meal services: Lunch MZT-PHX, Dinner OAK-SEA
Equip: B727-200
Note: Aircraft front cabin configuration was marketed as "Business Coach" with 16 seats in 2/2 layout & more legroom than Y
Old May 8, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by WHBM
My ONLY ride on a DC9-50 was on Republic, Toronto to Detroit, in probably autumn 1980.
I think that my only ride in a 40-series was on SAS, ZRH-CPH, in 1970. All my other experience with DC9 aircraft was on Allegheny and Northwest.

It was also my only flight on SAS until 2019.
Old May 8, 2021, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
[QUOTE=jlemon;33236252]
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

10. Well, it wasn't VIASA. And please note my comment above: "...nor was the equipment a DC9-10". So we've ruled out the short fuselage DC9. Which means.....
Yeah, looks like you responded to my response before I was able to change it to a KLM DC-8-83. So how about that?
Old May 8, 2021, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by kochleffel
I think that my only ride in a 40-series was on SAS, ZRH-CPH, in 1970. All my other experience with DC9 aircraft was on Allegheny and Northwest.
iirc the North American OAG never distinguished between the -30 and the -40, using the “D9S” code for both; can’t speak to the International edition however

I’ve flown on a pair of -40s — N773NW (ATL-DTW, Aug 1992) and N775NW (DTW-BNA, Nov 2010) — but I’m not sure of their full heritage; I think the “NW” suffix in the registration was my only clue that I wasn’t on a -30
Old May 8, 2021, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
[QUOTE=Seat 2A;33236762]
Originally Posted by jlemon

Yeah, looks like you responded to my response before I was able to change it to a KLM DC-8-83. So how about that?
10. Unfortunately, it wasn't KLM.

And what the heck is a DC-8-83?! A Super DC-8 retrofitted with Space Shuttle main engines?!?!
Old May 8, 2021, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
10. Unfortunately, it wasn't KLM.

And what the heck is a DC-8-83?! A Super DC-8 retrofitted with Space Shuttle main engines?!?!
Oops! Seems I'm having all kinds of problems with this question. Maybe I ought to put down the Woodford Reserve and turn down the Spafford. Sh*t, I dunno - Caribair with a DC-9-30

And just to add my 2 cents to the DC-9-50 Club, my first flight on a -50 came aboard Hawaiian Air in August 1976. I later added flights with AL, NC, EA, Transtar, RC, NW & DL

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 8, 2021 at 5:18 pm
Old May 8, 2021, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Caribair with a DC-9-30....
10. Correct! Here's the sched....

CB 936: Curacao (CUR) 1:55p - 2:20p Aruba (AUA) 2:45p - 4:00p San Juan (SJU)
Freq: Daily
Service class: Y
Meal service: None
Equip: D9S

I believe Caribair was operating a very small fleet of DC-9-31 aircraft configured with 115 Y seats in the spring of 1970 as they had retired their Convair 640 turboprops by this time. The San Juan-based air carrier would continue to operate all of their scheduled flights with the D9S for several more years until they were acquired by Eastern, which I think occurred in 1973. Caribair was also one of the few airlines to operate jet service into Vigie Field (SLU), the close-in airport serving Castries, the capital of St. Lucia.
Old May 9, 2021, 8:49 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jrl767
iirc the North American OAG never distinguished between the -30 and the -40, using the “D9S” code for both; can’t speak to the International edition however
The equivalent ABC published in Britain did differentiate them, when the airline did, as D93 and D95. However, many operators chose not to (even if they only had one of the types) so it was just DC9. SAS for their unique DC9-20 and DC9-40 showed DC9 and D9S. In contrast the 727 long did not cater like the OAG did for 727 or 72S, which I was surprised to see when I first got hold of an OAG.
Old May 9, 2021, 11:51 am

Alaska acquired five 727-212As from Singapore. They were not crew favorites, nicknamed the "Roach Coaches" for having arrived from Singapore with a bit of a cockroach infestation (by Alaska standards). I flew aboard a couple of them over the years, one of them (ship 296) four times and never did encounter and cockroaches.
A few years ago I did a major sales pitch in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Office on about the 20th floor. Right in the middle of the presentation a large cockroach climbed slowly right across the flipchart I was using, in front of us all. A range of reactions from those in the room. The no-nonsense local director who was there was the one who took immediate action ... and I received more apologies from all those involved with building maintenance etc than I would have believed possible. I felt it was just one of those things in the tropics.
Old May 9, 2021, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As always, please limit your response to two quiz items per day so that all may participate and please be as specific as you can when identifying aircraft types. Thanks!

9. Name the airline that ran a print ad in 1970 with this headline:

THE EXECUTIVE JET. The convenience of the office. The comforts of home.

It wasn't Pan Am. The aircraft operated by the airline in question were not business jets but were mainline jetliners in scheduled passenger service. Hint: this air carrier was not based in the U.S.

13. It's still 1975 and you are still in southern California. From Los Angeles you've driven down to Newport Beach in Orange County for a meeting. Now you are heading to a second meeting up in Portland, Oregon. You've found a convenient direct daily flight from Santa Ana to Portland which makes two stops en route. Name the airline, both stops and the aircraft. ANSWERED

18. From Philadelphia you need to travel to Dayton. You've found a convenient early afternoon flight which operates daily with just one stop being made. Name the air carrier, the stop and the equipment. It wasn't USAir, Republic, TWA or Delta. The stop was made at CVG, the aircraft was a DC9-30 and the time line here is the late spring of 1979.
Just three to go here on this Mothers Day.....and although I do not think we have any mothers as active participants on the OTAQ&D, who knows who might be lurking out there.

Meantime, Happy Mothers Day to everyone's Mom!

Last edited by jlemon; May 10, 2021 at 12:46 pm Reason: answer update
Old May 9, 2021, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
A few years ago I did a major sales pitch in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Office on about the 20th floor. Right in the middle of the presentation a large cockroach climbed slowly right across the flipchart I was using, in front of us all. A range of reactions from those in the room. The no-nonsense local director who was there was the one who took immediate action ... and I received more apologies from all those involved with building maintenance etc than I would have believed possible. I felt it was just one of those things in the tropics.
Well, down here in subtropical south Looziana, our lawless cocka-roaches have been known to attempt to vote.....
Old May 9, 2021, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
21. Indeed it was....and you are correct, sir! Here's the complete sched...

SQ 642: Singapore (SIN) 8:00a - 9:40a Bangkok (BKK) 10:40a - 2:40p Hong Kong (HKG)
Freq: Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays only
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Breakfast SIN-BKK, Lunch BKK-HKG
Equip: B727-200
Note: SQ 642 operated with DC-10 on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays only
I thought the SQ 727s (believed they were in fleet for a very brief period) were used for routes such as SIN-PEN and the like. There was another very brief stayer (other than the DC-10) in the fleet which would make an interesting question. Have no idea where they were deployed to though.
Old May 9, 2021, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I thought the SQ 727s (believed they were in fleet for a very brief period) were used for routes such as SIN-PEN and the like. There was another very brief stayer (other than the DC-10) in the fleet which would make an interesting question. Have no idea where they were deployed to though.
Besides Bangkok and Hong Kong, Singapore Airlines was also operating Boeing 727-200 service into Bandar Seri Begawan, Colombo, Jakarta, Madras and Manila in the spring of 1980 according to the OAG.

And concerning the other aircraft operated by SQ, I think they may have operated B737-100 and/or B737-200 equipment at one point with these airplanes possibly coming from Malaysia-Singapore Airlines (MSA) back when Singapore was formed and MSA became Malaysian Airline System.....but I'm not completely sure about this.

Last edited by jlemon; May 9, 2021 at 2:18 pm Reason: clarification
Old May 9, 2021, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
And yet another one was the A340-300. In fact, these were sold off again even before the last new ones were delivered, as Boeing took them in part exchange for the 777s. There was then quite a standoff between Boeing and Airbus, who refused on some paperwork technicality to support them when Boeing tried to remarket the ones delivered direct from Toulouse to Seattle (or wherever Boeing chose to park them).. Took a while to sort out as Airbus held all the cards. In the end Emirates got many of them.

The A300s, too, the last one of the order had only been there about 18 months when the whole lot were quite rapidly withdrawn and sold.

Last edited by WHBM; May 9, 2021 at 2:34 pm
Old May 9, 2021, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

With a bit of downtime on the OTAQ&D this afternoon, I thought a couple of you might get a kick out of what a large postcard collection looks like. I won't show all the cards, of course. Pictured is a banker box with binders of postcards only of BOAC/BEA/British Airways plus other British Airlines. I've also included a shot of just one page representing the latest livery of Titan Airways. Those are just four examples. I've got about 25 cards of Titan aircraft from over the years. All told, if I had to guess I'd say I have about 1400 cards of just British airliners. Not all countries require so many binders - Britain is a bit of an exception - but for example I need another Banker Box just to handle the binders required to deal with the Middle East, West Asia and The Stans (Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, etc) I'll take these pictures down tonight or tomorrow morning.

strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.