Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2021, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
82. (1992) If you’re looking to travel from Chicago’s south side to Orlando, Florida, there’s only one airline to call with three almost daily flights between Midway and Orlando. The correct answer requires only the name of the airline.

Definitely wild guess territory here: Sun Country Airlines.

It's looking more and more like the actual answer will floor you! That said, it was not Sun Country!
Old Jan 18, 2021, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
77. (1992) You love Cozumel! You and your family have vacationed there five out of the last eight years and this year will make your sixth visit. Normally you’d have to make a connection somewhere, but not this year. There’s a new one-stop direct flight out of Boston Logan that’ll get you into Cozumel by midday. Better yet, you’ll even be served a snack and lunch enroute. Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft please. It's not an AA 72S via DFW nor an NW A320 via MEM
It was not United via IAD. Nor was the aircraft manufactured by Airbus.
While the aircraft of record was indeed smaller than a 727-200, it was not a member of the 737 family. Additionally, the flight was not operated by Continental and did not route through Newark.
77- well, the 757-200 was a few feet longer than the 72S, so we must be looking at either a 727-100 or an MD-80

given that the “Partially Correct” paradigm seems to have gone extinct, I’ll offer NW again; I think they still had a few short-body tri-jets in the fleet in 1992, and a BOS-CZM routing via Detroit/DTW would make sense
Old Jan 18, 2021, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
77. (1992) You love Cozumel! You and your family have vacationed there five out of the last eight years and this year will make your sixth visit. Normally you’d have to make a connection somewhere, but not this year. There’s a new one-stop direct flight that’ll get you into Cozumel by midday. Better yet, you’ll even be served a snack and lunch enroute. Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft please.

Well, the 757-200 was a few feet longer than the 72S, so we must be looking at either a 727-100 or an MD-80. Given that the “Partially Correct” paradigm seems to have gone extinct, I’ll offer NW again; I think they still had a few short-body tri-jets in the fleet in 1992, and a BOS-CZM routing via Detroit/DTW would make sense.

If the correct airline was Northwest, I would have told you so. Had it been a 727-200, same thing. By the way - speaking only for myself on this, I am variant specific and have been on record as having stated this on more than one occasion. Just last week we were discussing this with leaning toward how the OAG differentiates, i.e. DC9, D9S, D95, M80, 727, 72S, 73S, 733, 734, 735 etc. As such, if you were to correctly note that the aircraft was a 737-300 but you'd given an incorrect airline, I might have said you were "partially correct". Or, more likely I would credit you with the correct aircraft as I typically do. Depends upon my blood sugar levels. Or whether I'd come down from whatever fungus I'd eaten the night before. Honestly though, I tend to employ "partially correct" only if by giving full credit to a correct aircraft or stopover point would then make the answer glaringly obvious. On the whole though, if you give a correct aircraft variant, correct airline or stopover point, I acknowledge that and if you go back and check out my past responses you'll see they bear that out. On the other hand, if the correct aircraft was a 737-300 and you'd offered up a 737-800 - you would not be partially correct regarding the aircraft. You would not even be a tiny scintilla correct. You would just be wrong. And wrong is what you've been on all of your answers regarding this question up until this point.

That said, Northwest is still incorrect. Detroit is also incorrect. However, the 727-100 is correct. 100% so. So there ya go. Now go figure out the rest of it.
jlemon likes this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 18, 2021 at 8:30 pm
Old Jan 18, 2021, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
82. Definitely wild guess territory here: Sun Country Airlines.
Continental
Old Jan 18, 2021, 10:18 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
82. (1992) If you’re looking to travel from Chicago’s south side to Orlando, Florida, there’s only one airline to call with three almost daily flights between Midway and Orlando. The correct answer requires only the name of the airline.
You mentioned it's an airline that's still flying... I seem to recall Delta being a sponsor of Disney and having considerable service to Orlando, including from Chicago (I don't recall if that included Midway or just O'Hare). Let's try a Delta 737-200.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
77- peace, my friend; that was neither a critique of your replies nor a masochistic “please sir may I have another”

the only Mexican carrier running a 727-100 in 1992 *might have been* TAESA, but the mention of two meal services doesn’t comport with a routing via Cancun/CUN, to say nothing of the fact that we’ve never mentioned them in the Quiz as an Eighth Freedom operator on BOS-JFK (or Miami/MIA if they even had service there)

that means it’s a U.S. operator

NW and UA are out; BN, EA, and NA were gone; AA, CO, and PA didn’t have any more -100s; TW never served CZM

so we’re left with a post-dereg startup, and I’m drawing a blank ... perhaps Carnival had an odd short-body? if so, it would probably have operated via Ft Lauderdale/FLL
Old Jan 19, 2021, 7:05 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
82. I'll put in for United. I know they've run flights from MDW a few times including with Ted.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
82. I'll put in for United. I know they've run flights from MDW a few times including with Ted.
Well one of us must have gotten it by now... I think we've guessed every airline that's currently operating.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per Toshbaf: Continental

Per strickerj: You mentioned it's an airline that's still flying... I seem to recall Delta being a sponsor of Disney and having considerable service to Orlando, including from Chicago (I don't recall if that included Midway or just O'Hare). Let's try a Delta 737-200.

Per Bluehen1:
I'll put in for United. I know they've run flights from MDW a few times including with Ted.Per strickerj: Well one of us must have gotten it by now... I think we've guessed every airline that's currently operating

And we have a WINNER! It's Bluehen1 by a nose! United is indeed the carrier of record - surprising given the strength of its hub across town at ORD, but evidently someone identified a need from the South Side and filled it with three almost daily flights between Midway and Orlando - this in addition to United's usual complement of flights out of O'Hare.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
77. (1992) You love Cozumel! You and your family have vacationed there five out of the last eight years and this year will make your sixth visit. Normally you’d have to make a connection somewhere, but not this year. There’s a new one-stop direct flight that’ll get you into Cozumel by midday. Better yet, you’ll even be served a snack and lunch enroute. Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft please.

The only Mexican carrier running a 727-100 in 1992 *might have been* TAESA, but the mention of two meal services doesn’t comport with a routing via Cancun/CUN, to say nothing of the fact that we’ve never mentioned them in the Quiz as an Eighth Freedom operator on BOS-JFK (or Miami/MIA if they even had service there). That means it’s a U.S. operator. NW and UA are out; BN, EA, and NA were gone; AA, CO, and PA didn’t have any more -100s; TW never served CZM. So we’re left with a post-dereg startup, and I’m drawing a blank ... perhaps Carnival had an odd short-body? if so, it would probably have operated via Ft Lauderdale/FLL

Way to sniff it out J! So we know it's a 727-100 and you've correctly eliminated all of the usual suspects. It is not Carnival through FLL but you're on the right track with the idea that it's a post-dereg start-up. Follow your nose down that trail and I see the answer revealing itself sooner than later.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wow! I started this 90 question set 497 posts back (# 20948) on December 27th - 23 days ago. Great job, everyone! And now we're down to the last two - each of them partially answered at that! Just a reminder - Please limit yourselves to a single question at a time so that all might have a chance to participate.

It's a 727-100 with a post deregulation start-up

83. (1984) Identify the three airlines that in 1984 operated their respective aircraft in an all First Class configuration, i.e. 2x2 seating throughout the aircraft. Identify the aircraft type each airline operates as well.
Air One and Midwest Express identified so far... It is not Regent/MGM Grand but the aircraft was a 727-100

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 19, 2021 at 4:15 pm
Old Jan 19, 2021, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Wow! I started this 90 question set 497 posts back (# 20948) on December 27th - 23 days ago. Great job, everyone! And now we're down to the last one - partially answered at that! Just a reminder - Please limit yourselves to a single question at a time so that all might have a chance to participate.

83. (1984) Identify the three airlines that in 1984 operated their respective aircraft in an all First Class configuration, i.e. 2x2 seating throughout the aircraft. Identify the aircraft type each airline operates as well.
Air One and Midwest Express identified so far... It is not Regent/MGM Grand but the aircraft was a 727-100
83. I'll guess this was McClain Airlines with B727-100 equipment.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
83. I'll guess this was McClain Airlines with B727-100 equipment.
McClain didn't start flying until after 1984, possibly 1985but more likely 1986.

Air Atlanta, the US carrier, not the Icelandic one. Air Atlanta gave up on being a first class only airline early on.

Last edited by Toshbaf; Jan 19, 2021 at 3:41 pm
Old Jan 19, 2021, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

77- BOS-XXX-CZM, a post-deregulation startup carrier operating a 727-100

the only way I'll get this one is thru some research, which I will hold off doing for awhile ... here's an open invitation for anyone else to chime (or tap ) it in
Old Jan 19, 2021, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'll guess this was McClain Airlines with B727-100 equipment.

That's the one, JL. McClain Airlines (2M) has been the subject of quiz questions before here with its short lived service into Rockford, IL from Chicago ORD. If I recall, that flight continued on to LAX. Per the OAG I referenced for this question, McClain is limited to just two daily flights - one in each direction between LAX and PHX. Hard to make much money that way! Here's a McClain ad with a seatmap:

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 19, 2021 at 4:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.