Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2020, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
35- MDW-MEM: let's try United on a 737-200 ... TI DC9 MEM-XXX-YYY-DAL-HOU, XXX and YYY are not LIT and SHV: there sure ain't much else in those parts except Hot Springs/HOT and Texarkana/TXK (I went IAH-SHV-GGG-DFW on a TI Convair 600 in 1974, but I don't think Longview/Marshall/Kilgore ever saw jet service)

56- you indeed said Christmas; the "technicality" comment was only in (exasperated) jest with respect to several other recent answers (from myself as well as others) about the airline of record vs the guess

as for the origin of this flight, it was abundantly clear to me that dfw88 had initially been very close to saying "AS from SEA" but opted for PDX instead ... accounting for the calendar oversight, my guess is US (nee PS) from SEA

Last edited by jrl767; Dec 9, 2020 at 2:39 pm
Old Dec 9, 2020, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
35- MDW-MEM: let's try United on a 737-200 ... TI DC9 MEM-XXX-YYY-DAL-HOU, XXX and YYY are not LIT and SHV: there sure ain't much else in those parts except Hot Springs/HOT and Texarkana/TXK (I went IAH-SHV-GGG-DFW on a TI Convair 600 in 1974, but I don't think Longview/Marshall/Kilgore ever saw jet service)

56- you indeed said Christmas; the "technicality" comment was only in (exasperated) jest with respect to several other recent answers (from myself as well as others) about the airline of record vs the guess

as for the origin of this flight, it was abundantly clear to me that dfw88 had initially been very close to saying "AS from SEA" but opted for PDX instead ... accounting for the calendar oversight, my guess is US (nee PS) from SEA
35. Ah, it wasn't United operating the first flight nor was the aircraft a B737-200.....however, the second flight operated by Texas International did indeed stop in Hot Springs, Texarkana and as we already know Dallas Love Field.

56. Yep! USAir indeed continued to serve Yakima after acquiring PSA....but not for very long. At the end of 1988, USAir was actually operating two daily MD-80 flights into YKM (and I think the aircraft were formerly operated by PSA). Here are the complete schedules for both....

US 2763: San Francisco (SFO) 11:40a - 1:31p Seattle (SEA) 2:05p - 2:46p Yakima (YKM)
Freq: Daily
Service class: Y
Meal service: Lunch SFO-SEA
Equip: MD-80

US 2735: San Francisco (SFO) 8:40p - 10:31p Seattle (SEA) 11:00p - 11:41p Yakima (YKM)
Service class: Y
Meal service: Dinner SFO-SEA
Equip: MD-80

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 9, 2020 at 3:24 pm
Old Dec 9, 2020, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
And here's some hopefully interesting news....

Back when I moved to Austin in the early 1970's to attend the University of Texas, Austin was only served by three airlines: Braniff International operating B727-100 and B727-200 aircraft, Continental operating B720B and B727-200 aircraft and Texas International operating DC9-10 and DC9-30 aircraft. The longest nonstop flight from AUS back then was operated by Braniff to Washington Dulles.

The years have sped by and my oh my....how Austin has grown. Earlier this year, I was booked on a British Airways A350 from London Heathrow nonstop to Austin. However, the current pandemic resulted in the cancellation of my trip to Europe last summer.

And now Hawaiian Airlines has announced new nonstop A330 service twice a week between Honolulu and Austin to commence this coming April. Let's hope the world has sufficiently returned to normal by that time!
Old Dec 9, 2020, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
35- a Delta DC-9-30 is about the only remaining option that comes to mind for MDW-MEM
Old Dec 9, 2020, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by jlemon
50. It's 1986 and you are back in Toronto. This time you are headed to Los Angeles and have found a direct flight from YYZ to LAX that will make one stop en route. Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft type.
Just to get an obvious one out of the way: UA DC-10 via ORD?

48. JAL is correct. And I'm reasonably sure the aircraft was a DC8-62. Plus you have also correctly guessed the first stop: Sao Paulo Viracopos (VCP).

However, this flight did not stop at Lima, Mexico City or Vancouver so please guess again, sir!
Looking at the direct line from SAO to TYO, it wouldn't be too far from such classic destinations as NYC and ANC. I don't think JAL ever served MIA so maybe CCS was a stop along the way and not too far off that direct route.

How about the JL DC-8-62 operating GIG-VCP-CCS-JFK-ANC-NRT?
Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
39. Northwest with a DC-10 is correct....however, this flight did not stop at Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Which means.....please guess again, sir!
Whaat?!! Not MSP?! Oh Lord - alright then, Jamestown, ND. No wait!! Chicago. Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket. Chicago!
Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

35- a Delta DC-9-30 is about the only remaining option that comes to mind for MDW-MEM
35. Ah, you previously guessed DL with a D9S in post # 20803 and I then responded in post # 20805....
Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
50. Just to get an obvious one out of the way: UA DC-10 via ORD?

48. Looking at the direct line from SAO to TYO, it wouldn't be too far from such classic destinations as NYC and ANC. I don't think JAL ever served MIA so maybe CCS was a stop along the way and not too far off that direct route.

How about the JL DC-8-62 operating GIG-VCP-CCS-JFK-ANC-NRT?
48. You are definitely on the right track as the JAL flight in question definitely stopped at New York JFK and Anchorage. However, it did not stop in Caracas.....although you do have the order of the stops correct. So what we are looking for here is the missing second stop.

50. Nope, it wasn't United, the aircraft wasn't a DC-10 and the flight we are looking for did not stop at Chicago O'Hare.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

35- grrrrrrrrr
Southern, DC9-10
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Whaat?!! Not MSP?! Oh Lord - alright then, Jamestown, ND. No wait!! Chicago. Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket. Chicago!
39. But what about Fargo?!?! I think they would have been thrilled to have DC-10 service!

Chicago is correct, of course.....and oh by the way, this Northwest flight did not originate in Atlanta and did not terminate in Seattle. Here's the complete sched....

NW 27: Miami (MIA) 1:40p - 3:23p Atlanta (ATL) 4:10p - 5:04p Chicago O'Hare (ORD) 5:50p - 7:58p Seattle/Tacoma (SEA) 9:00p - 10:15p Anchorage (ANC)
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: REGAL IMPERIAL SERVICE MIA-ATL, Snack ATL-ORD, Dinner ORD-SEA, Snack SEA-ANC
Equip: DC-10
Note: REGAL IMPERIAL SERVICE - At no extra fare, Northwest's most elegant in-flight service featuring our finest cuisine. First class meals served on fine china and linen with choice of entrees including complimentary cocktails, wine, and after dinner drinks. Specially selected meals in Coach are most frequently served with wine or champagne within the U.S. domestic system. Hot Oshibori towels are provided on select flights.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

35- grrrrrrrrr
Southern, DC9-10
35. Yep, it was good ol' Southern Airways, the "Route of the Aristocrats", which initially served Midway Airport before subsequently switching its Chicago service over to O'Hare. Here's a late 1960's Southern print ad before the airline began to spread its wings to destinations outside of the southern U.S.....

SOmoretoourdc967

And here are the scheds.....

SO 31: Chicago Midway (MDW) 7:30a - 8:50a Memphis (MEM)
Service class: S
Meal service: Breakfast
Equip: DC9
Note: SO 31 complete routing MDW-MEM-JAN-MOB-GPT-MSY

Connecting to....

TI 967: Memphis (MEM) 11:05a - 11:46a Hot Springs (HOT) 12:01p - 12:26p Texarkana (TXK) 12:46p - 1:25p Dallas Love Field (DAL) 2:00p - 2:48p Houston Intercontinental (IAH)
Service class: S
Meal service: Snack MEM-HOT
Equip: DC9
Note: TI 967 complete routing MEM-HOT-TXK-DAL-IAH-HRL-MFE

Back in 1970, I flew on board TI 967 from Memphis to Houston as I recently mentioned.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 11:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
48. Also in 1980, this air carrier was operating a direct flight once a week from Rio de Janeiro to Tokyo. The service in question made four stops en route from GIG to NRT. Identify the airline, all four stops in order and the aircraft type.

Japan Air Lines
DC-8-62
GIG (Rio) - VCP (Campinas, sort of Sao Paulo) - SJU (San Juan Puerto Rico) - JFK - ANC - NRT
(sort of odd, to me. I would have recommended CGH (Sao Paulo) - GIG - CCS (if allowed) - JFK - ANC - NRT or CGH - GIG - PTY - LAX - NRT)
Old Dec 9, 2020, 11:55 pm

Programs: BA
Here's a late 1960's Southern print ad before the airline began to spread its wings to destinations outside of the southern U.S.....
It was a curious feature of US airline marketing material by this time to give such emphasis on FAN Jets. Northwest was another, and I'm sure further ones did as well. Elsewhere nobody seemed to have any clue about the difference, or even what the expression meant. Even if the aircraft type was mentioned, which wasn't often, it was just by name, and likely a picture, but never specifics about engine type.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
It was a curious feature of US airline marketing material by this time to give such emphasis on FAN Jets. Northwest was another, and I'm sure further ones did as well. Elsewhere nobody seemed to have any clue about the difference, or even what the expression meant. Even if the aircraft type was mentioned, which wasn't often, it was just by name, and likely a picture, but never specifics about engine type.
Yes, they certainly did. The marketing departments at a number of U.S. air carriers placed great emphasis concerning turbofan powered aircraft in their respective print ads....and as you point out, quite often without any real information with regard to just what a fanjet was.

Here's a Continental ad concerning the Boeing 720B.....

COcomingsoon62

As you mentioned, Northwest got into the fanjet marketing act as well. Here's a couple of Northwest Orient ads.....

NWthisfanjet64

NWdiscoveramerica67

TWA took things a bit further with this ad headlining "DynaFan" jet power....

TWworldsonlymovietheater63

Meanwhile, in 1964 American claimed to have "the largest fan-jet fleet in the world" in this ad.....

AAfanjet64

And American also ran a number of print ads in what they called their "The American Airlines fan-jet story" series. Here's a couple of them....

AAfanjetclimb63

AAhaveyounoticed64

The wonderful world of airline advertising, folks.....
Seat 2A and strickerj like this.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 10, 2020 at 12:03 pm
Old Dec 10, 2020, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
48. Also in 1980, this air carrier was operating a direct flight once a week from Rio de Janeiro to Tokyo. The service in question made four stops en route from GIG to NRT. Identify the airline, all four stops in order and the aircraft type.

Japan Air Lines
DC-8-62
GIG (Rio) - VCP (Campinas, sort of Sao Paulo) - SJU (San Juan Puerto Rico) - JFK - ANC - NRT
(sort of odd, to me. I would have recommended CGH (Sao Paulo) - GIG - CCS (if allowed) - JFK - ANC - NRT or CGH - GIG - PTY - LAX - NRT)
48. Yep, the missing stop we were looking for here is San Juan. And I have no idea why JL 021 stopped at SJU as I suspect they did not enplane or deplane any passengers at San Juan unless on a stopover basis. Perhaps JAL decided a technical stop was required between Sao Paulo Viracopos and New York JFK.

Unfortunately, I do not have the complete schedule for this JAL service so here's the relevant page from the March 1, 1980 Worldwide OAG (as reproduced by the good folks over at departedflights.com) with the departure and arrival times for JL 021 from Rio de Janeiro (GIG) to Tokyo (NRT):

NRT80p3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.