Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Nov 16, 20, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Plat, Honors Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
19. From New York City, you've now journeyed up to Toronto for a visit with old friends on board a flight which departed in the morning from Newark Airport and made one stop en route. What airline were you flying with, where was the stop made and what type of equipment did you fly on?
So, I'm going to assume this was early 1979 and guess Allegheny with a stop in Buffalo on a DC-9.
Old Nov 16, 20, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
9. Fill in the blank concerning this 1970 airline print ad:
"In case you didn't know it, we have Super DC-9's with extra leg room at every seat; one of the best on-time records in the business; an improved in-flight service including instant breakfast, hot chocolate, continental breakfast and free stamps, breakfasts, dinners, and snacks on more flights. In case you didn't know it. ____(airline)____"

Call it a gut feeling, but I'm going to go with Allegheny Airlines on this one, with a DC-9-30

13. Identify the airline that ran this print ad:
"Introducing the new DC-9-50....We call it the comfort cabin. Because the DC-9-50 has a spacious new look and feel from front to back."

This also sounds like Allegheny. I did two separate Unlimited Mileage fares and flew a lot of these birds.
Old Nov 16, 20, 8:44 am

Programs: BA
4. Also in 1967, this airline ran a print ad with this headline:

Sky lift to the C.S.A. "alps"

What air carrier ran this ad and what does C.S.A. stand for?
Wasn't this a dig by Continental at United associating themselves by name with the USA, so they came up with the CSA, or Continental States of America.
Old Nov 16, 20, 10:24 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Platinum Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post

2- "jet service to the Lake Tahoe area in 1966" was a Pacific Airlines 727 from Los Angeles/LAX, with an intermediate stop in San Jose/SJC ... the most probable one-stop jet service from PHX to LAX would have been a Western 720 via San Diego/SAN
2. Correct! Here are the scheds....

WA 701: Phoenix (PHX) 10:25a - 11:19a San Diego (SAN) 11:40a - 12:10p Los Angeles (LAX)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: None
Equip: Boeing 720B FANJET
Note: WA 701 continued on to SEA from LAX

Connecting to.....

PC 204: Los Angeles (LAX) 2:30p - 3:21p San Jose (SJC) 3:45p - 4:17p Lake Tahoe (TVL)
Service class: Y
Equip: Boeing 727-100 JET
Note: "JET Commutair service" LAX-SJC

The Pacific Air Lines 727 service into Lake Tahoe in 1966 were the first jet flights at TVL. However, they did not last very long and Pacific soon returned to serving Lake Tahoe exclusively with the Fairchild F-27 primarily with service from the S.F. Bay Area. This F-27 service at Lake Tahoe continued after the airline merged with Bonanza and West Coast to form Air West.

I think the 727 service into TVL was not profitable for Pacific which resulted in the termination of jet service by the air carrier at the airport. Whatever the reason, a jet ban was then introduced at the Lake Tahoe airport which resulted in TVL primarily being served with Electra turboprop equipment by Holiday followed by PSA and Air California, and later with other turboprop aircraft types with examples being the DHC-7 Dash 7 and Convair 580 operated by other air carriers.

Many years later, Air Cal reintroduced jet service at TVL with the MD-80. Air Cal then began flying the B737-300 into Lake Tahoe instead of the MD-80. American continued serving TVL with B737-300 equipment formerly operated by Air Cal following its acquisition of the latter airline. And one fine day I arrived at Lake Tahoe on board an AA B737-300 (which still had the Air Cal livery but with American titles). The approach from the south was quite dramatic as the aircraft swooped quite low over a mountain ridgetop just a few minutes before touching down at TVL. It was a beautiful day for flying into this interesting airfield located in the Sierra Nevada Mountains just south of the lake.
Old Nov 16, 20, 10:38 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Platinum Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Bluehen1 View Post
So, I'm going to assume this was early 1979 and guess Allegheny with a stop in Buffalo on a DC-9.
19. Excellent catch, sir! The time line here is actually late 1979 which means the air carrier was USAir which was still using the "AL" two letter code at this time. This flight indeed made an intermediate stop at Buffalo. And I will assume that your guess concerning the equipment was actually a DC9-30 and thus not a DC9-10.

However, the aircraft wasn't a D9S so please guess again!
Old Nov 16, 20, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
9. Fill in the blank concerning this 1970 airline print ad:
"In case you didn't know it, we have Super DC-9's with extra leg room at every seat; one of the best on-time records in the business; an improved in-flight service including instant breakfast, hot chocolate, continental breakfast and free stamps, breakfasts, dinners, and snacks on more flights. In case you didn't know it. ____(airline)____"

Call it a gut feeling, but I'm going to go with Allegheny Airlines on this one, with a DC-9-30

13. Identify the airline that ran this print ad:
"Introducing the new DC-9-50....We call it the comfort cabin. Because the DC-9-50 has a spacious new look and feel from front to back."

This also sounds like Allegheny. I did two separate Unlimited Mileage fares and flew a lot of these birds.
9. Yep, we are indeed talking about the DC9-30 here. However, the airline in question wasn't Allegheny so please guess again, sir!

13. Correct! Here's the Allegheny print ad....

www.departedflights.com/ALnewdc95075.html
Old Nov 16, 20, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
Wasn't this a dig by Continental at United associating themselves by name with the USA, so they came up with the CSA, or Continental States of America.
4. Correct! Here's the Continental ("the proud bird with the golden tail") print ad....

COalps67
Old Nov 16, 20, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Plat, Honors Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
19. Excellent catch, sir! The time line here is actually late 1979 which means the air carrier was USAir which was still using the "AL" two letter code at this time. This flight indeed made an intermediate stop at Buffalo. And I will assume that your guess concerning the equipment was actually a DC9-30 and thus not a DC9-10.

However, the aircraft wasn't a D9S so please guess again!
How about a B727-100.
Old Nov 16, 20, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bluehen1 View Post
How about a B727-100.
19. Yep! Here's the sched....

AL 87: New York Newark (EWR) 8:55a - 9:54a Buffalo (BUF) 10:35a - 11:03a Toronto (YYZ)
Freq: Daily except Sundays
Service class: Y
Meal service: Snack EWR-BUF
Equip: 727
Old Nov 16, 20, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
8. It's still 1969 and you are back in Phoenix. This time you are heading for Calgary. One airline can get you there; however, a connection will be required with the first flight making three stops en route and the second flight making one stop. You will have a quick connecting time of just 37 minutes per this airline's timetable and the same aircraft type will be operated on both flights. Identify the air carrier, the three stops made by the first flight, the connecting airport, the stop made by the second flight and the equipment.
8- the only two carriers that come to mind as serving both PHX and YYC in 1969 are Air West and Western, and I think that the one-stop consideration for the second flight rules out WA, whose YYC service was Electra milk runs up from Denver/DEN and Salt Lake City/SLC ... how about RW DC9s connecting at Seattle/SEA, with the first flight stopping at SLC, San Francisco/SFO, and Portland/PDX and the second at Spokane/GEG

1979 ... 15. This airline was offering a discounted air fare with "absolutely no restrictions" from New York City to Washington, D.C. for a mere $15.00 at this time. However, on closer inspection, you find this low fare is only offered on one early morning daily nonstop flight. Identify the airline that offered this low fare, the airports the flight in question departed from and arrived into, and the equipment.
15- American had long endeavored to compete with the Eastern Shuttle between LaGuardia/LGA and National/DCA, but by this time they had retired the BAC 1-11 Series 400 and were down to only a handful of 727 flights on the route ... all that said, though, Northwest was operating a JFK-Dulles/IAD-ORD domestic tag on their Chicago-Tokyo 747 flight around that time; I paid something like $39 for IAD-ORD, and the flight left ~0945, so both the schedule and the aforementioned $15 fare for JFK-IAD are entirely believable
Old Nov 16, 20, 5:41 pm

8- the only two carriers that come to mind as serving both PHX and YYC in 1969 are Air West and Western, and I think that the one-stop consideration for the second flight rules out WA, whose YYC service was Electra milk runs up from Denver/DEN and Salt Lake City/SLC ... how about RW DC9s connecting at Seattle/SEA, with the first flight stopping at SLC, San Francisco/SFO, and Portland/PDX and the second at Spokane/GEG

15- American had long endeavored to compete with the Eastern Shuttle between LaGuardia/LGA and National/DCA, but by this time they had retired the BAC 1-11 Series 400 and were down to only a handful of 727 flights on the route ... all that said, though, Northwest was operating a JFK-Dulles/IAD-ORD domestic tag on their Chicago-Tokyo 747 flight around that time; I paid something like $39 for IAD-ORD, and the flight left ~0945, so both the schedule and the aforementioned $15 fare for JFK-IAD are entirely believable
8. An excellent guess as it indeed was Air West operating DC9-10 equipment on both flights. The first flight made its first stop in Salt Lake City and its third stop in Portland while the second flight stopped in Spokane. However, the second stop made by the first flight wasn't SFO and the connection was not made at SEA.

15. Ah, it wasn't Northwest, the flight did not depart from JFK and the equipment in question wasn't a 747. But on the plus side of the column, the flight we are looking for did arrive into IAD.
Old Nov 16, 20, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
8- well, I'll offer that the second stop on the first flight was Boise/BOI, and (taking a page from my 1966 timetable questions ) that the connection was at Tri-Cities (Pasco/Kennewick/Richland, PSC) ... there's another possibility for both, but we shall see if I need to guess again

15- Braniff was also in the NYC-IAD markets in 1979, and I'm pretty sure that they served Newark in addition to JFK ... but let's not leave LGA out in the cold here; Southern had been absorbed into Republic a couple years earlier, so it wouldn't surprise me if this deeply-discounted flight was on one of their DC9s that continued to Atlanta
Old Nov 16, 20, 6:41 pm

8- well, I'll offer that the second stop on the first flight was Boise/BOI, and (taking a page from my 1966 timetable questions ) that the connection was at Tri-Cities (Pasco/Kennewick/Richland, PSC) ... there's another possibility for both, but we shall see if I need to guess again

15- Braniff was also in the NYC-IAD markets in 1979, and I'm pretty sure that they served Newark in addition to JFK ... but let's not leave LGA out in the cold here; Southern had been absorbed into Republic a couple years earlier, so it wouldn't surprise me if this deeply-discounted flight was on one of their DC9s that continued to Atlanta
8. Yep, the second stop made by the first flight was BOI; however, the connection was not made at PSC.

15. Well, Southern was very much still around in the spring of 1979. Here's their April 29, 1979 route map:

Southern Airways April 29, 1979 Route Map

And the flight in question operated with a DC9-10 did depart from LGA. Care to amend your guess?
Old Nov 16, 20, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8- Yakima/YKM is my other thought on a connecting point between PDX and GEG
15- so I guess I'll guess SO
Old Nov 16, 20, 7:02 pm

8- Yakima/YKM is my other thought on a connecting point between PDX and GEG

15- so I guess I'll guess SO
8. Nope, it wasn't YKM either.....

15. That's the ticket! And here's the sched....

SO 132: New York LaGuardia (LGA) 6:30a - 7:26a Washington Dulles (IAD)
Service class: S
Equip: DC9
Note: SO 132 operated continuing service to ATL, HSV and MEM

Search this Thread
Search Engine: