Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2020, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Even though it doesn't mention any airlines by name, "Come Fly With Me" by Frank Sinatra gets honorable mention in my book.

And who could ever forget Roger Miller's classic rendition of...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 14, 2020 at 10:36 pm
Old Nov 14, 2020, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Even though it doesn't mention any airlines by name, "Come Fly With Me" by Frank Sinatra gets honorable mention in my book.
Even better, 10 c.c.'s Mandy
Old Nov 15, 2020, 1:32 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Even better, 10 c.c.'s Mandy
This was based directly on the National Airlines 1970s "I'm Xxx Fly Me" ads, with a different girls' name and picture each time, which were quite extensive across the UK in the 1970s in newspapers and on billboards when National just had a single daily flight from London to Miami. I recall Eric Stewart and Graham Gouldman, the two 10cc songwriting principals, wrote about it in a music paper at the time.

Unfortunately, the guys, despite remembering the detail of its creation, completely missed the airline name. One now claims it was American Airlines, the other says United ...

https://www.loudersound.com/features...fly-me-by-10cc

Last edited by WHBM; Nov 15, 2020 at 2:17 am
Old Nov 15, 2020, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
This was based directly on the National Airlines 1970s "I'm Xxx Fly Me" ads, with a different girls' name and picture each time, which were quite extensive across the UK in the 1970s in newspapers and on billboards when National just had a single daily flight from London to Miami. I recall Eric Stewart and Graham Gouldman, the two 10cc songwriting principals, wrote about it in a music paper at the time.

Unfortunately, the guys, despite remembering the detail of its creation, completely missed the airline name. One now claims it was American Airlines, the other says United ...

https://www.loudersound.com/features...fly-me-by-10cc
Thanks for that tid bit. Good enough for trivia fodder. For some reason, I don't think I ever noticed these ads!

Music paper being the NME? Just wasn't following music enough to read let alone buy it though I know a good many in school who did.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
And who could ever forget Roger Miller's classic rendition of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or326cOCzdU

Ad/media blocker didn't show me this until I used a different browser this morning.

As for the song lyrics, probably the best about flying revenue. Have to say I don't think I knew much about it if at all.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The other airliner song is Gunga Din (obviously not the Jim Croce version) written by Gene Parsons which came out in The Byrds' Ballad of Easy RIder:

I'm writing this here letter from aboard a DC-8
Heading into Angel Town, I hope it's not too late
It rained in New York City
Mister Rock 'n' Roll couldn't stay
The crowd was mad and we were had
Chasing the sun back to L.A.
Have breakfest with me mamma
I hope they'll let us in
Got a leather jacket on
I know that it's a sin
Gunga Din
Sitting backwards on this airplane, is bound to make me sick
Spend your life on a DC-8, never get to bed
Settle down (settle down)
Now we're over Kansas, where…
Unless there were lounge or rear-facing seats, I imagine the plane is a private or charter?

DC-8 Gunga Din / The Byrds
Old Nov 15, 2020, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
This was based directly on the National Airlines 1970s "I'm Xxx Fly Me" ads, with a different girls' name and picture each time ...
oh, it was more than just the FAs with names in the ads ... NA emblazoned a girl’s name by the forward door of their jets as well

I flew on “Rita” when N4618 operated NA105 DCA-MIA in December 1972
photo credit
Old Nov 15, 2020, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Well, folks, I believe it's time for a new set of OTAQ&D questions. So here we go once again. Please limit your response to two quiz items per day so that all may participate. And as always we are looking for specific answers concerning the equipment with an example being the B727-100 and B727-200 being considered as two different aircraft types. When in doubt concerning the equipment, let the OAG aircraft codes be your guide.

The 1960's...

1. In 1960, two airlines were operating nonstop transcontinental services in the U.S. with turboprop aircraft types. One of these air carriers operated a daily roundtrip service between the east coast and west coast while the other airline operated just two roundtrip flights per week. Both air carriers served the same city on the east coast but different cities on the west coast. There was also a significant difference concerning the service operated by each airline. So with all this in mind, identify both air carriers, the respective aircraft types they operated on these flights, the airport served by both on the east coast as well as the two airports served on the west coast to include the specific carrier that served each of those airports and the significant difference concerning their flights. ANSWERED

2. It's 1966 and you are Phoenix where you've just completed a project assignment as an independent contractor. Old friends have invited you to join them on a backpacking trip in the Desolation Wilderness Area in the El Dorado National Forest near Lake Tahoe. So you would like to fly into the closest airport to the trail head that has jet service with a mid morning departure from Phoenix and an afternoon arrival into this closest airport. Quick research reveals that two airlines and a connection will be required with an interline connecting time of two hours and 20 minutes between the carriers. Both of these flights will make one stop en route. Name both air carriers, the stop made by each flight, the connecting airport, the airport you will arrive into via your connecting flight and the different aircraft types operated on each service. ANSWERED

3. Fill in the blank concerning the aircraft type featured in this manufacturer's 1967 print ad:

"It has been proved.....that 15 passengers cover the direct operating cost of a _____(aircraft)_____ on a 260 mile stage....."

Hint: the above aircraft in question was a twin engine jet

4. Also in 1967, this airline ran a print ad with this headline:

Sky lift to the C.S.A. "alps"

What air carrier ran this ad and what does C.S.A. stand for? ANSWERED

5. It's 1968 and you are on Grand Cayman in the Caribbean. You need to fly to St. Lucia and have found a flight that operates twice a week and makes two stops en route. Identify the airline you'll be flying with, the two stops, the equipment and the airport you will arrive into on St. Lucia. ANSWERED

6. It's still 1968 and you are in Las Vegas. You've been asked to attend a meeting in Portland and have found an interesting connecting service from LAS to PDX offered by one airline with this connecting schedule appearing in their timetable. Your first flight will make two stops and your second flight will make one stop with a connecting time of 53 minutes between the two flights. And here's a hint concerning the connecting city: it's not a major airport and is off the beaten path. Identify the air carrier, the two stops made by the first flight, the connecting city, the stop made by the second flight and the two different aircraft types. ANSWERED

7. Now it's 1969 and you are in Montevideo. You are off to London in first class on board a flight that only operates once a week with this service making four stops en route. Name the airline, all four stops in order and the equipment. ANSWERED

8. It's still 1969 and you are back in Phoenix. This time you are heading for Calgary. One airline can get you there; however, a connection will be required with the first flight making three stops en route and the second flight making one stop. You will have a quick connecting time of just 37 minutes per this airline's timetable and the same aircraft type will be operated on both flights. Identify the air carrier, the three stops made by the first flight, the connecting airport, the stop made by the second flight and the equipment. ANSWERED

The 1970's...

9. Fill in the blank concerning this 1970 airline print ad:

"In case you didn't know it, we have Super DC-9's with extra leg room at every seat; one of the best on-time records in the business; an improved in-flight service including instant breakfast, hot chocolate, continental breakfast and free stamps, breakfasts, dinners, and snacks on more flights. In case you didn't know it. ____(airline)____" It wasn't Allegheny, North Central, Ozark or Texas International. The specific aircraft type was the DC9-30.

10. You're on board a flight in Palm Springs departing for San Francisco. It's 1971. One stop will be made en route and this service operates four days a week. Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

The next three quiz items have a time line of 1975....

11. You are back in Las Vegas and are flying to New Orleans in first class. Your flight will make three stops en route with a circuitous routing. First you'll head east and then you'll head south. Identify the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment. ANSWERED

12. Now you are in Brasilia and are heading to Tokyo. Several airlines will be involved and you would like to have enough time at your connecting city for a quick business lunch. You find this trip is possible via the city you want to connect through just once a week. Your first flight will be nonstop and your second flight will make one stop en route. Your second flight is also a joint operation conducted by two air carriers. You'll have a leisurely four hours and 40 minutes to make your connection and thus plenty of time for your business lunch. Name all three airlines, the connecting city, the stop made by the second flight and the respective aircraft types operated on each flight. Hint: the connection was made in South America

13. Identify the airline that ran this print ad:

"Introducing the new DC-9-50....We call it the comfort cabin. Because the DC-9-50 has a spacious new look and feel from front to back." ANSWERED

14. It's 1976 and you are on a nonstop flight from Brisbane to Noumea. The airline in question operates this service three days a week with two morning departures on the weekends and a midday departure every Wednesday. Name the air carrier and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

The next nine quiz items all have a time line of 1979....

15. This airline was offering a discounted air fare with "absolutely no restrictions" from New York City to Washington, D.C. for a mere $15.00 at this time. However, on closer inspection, you find this low fare is only offered on one early morning daily nonstop flight. Identify the airline that offered this low fare, the airports the flight in question departed from and arrived into, and the equipment. ANSWERED

16. This airline was operating direct one stop service six days a week from Houston to Toronto. Name the airline, the airport in the Houston area the flight in question departed from, the stop and the aircraft type. Hint: the air carrier in question only operated a total of four departures a day from the Houston area with two flights a day each to just two destinations at this time

17. You've just stepped off a sailboat at sunset in the harbor in Old San Juan and must now fly to Anchorage for a meeting. Quick research reveals that you will be able to depart SJU the next morning and arrive into ANC before 9:00 pm that same day. Two airlines and a connection will be involved and you'll be in first class on both flights. Your first flight will make two stops en route to your connecting city where you'll have just under one and one-half hours to connect. Your second flight will be nonstop. Identify both air carriers, the two stops made by the first flight, the connecting city and the two respective aircraft types operated. ANSWERED

18. Now you are in Milwaukee and are on your way to New York City. You're in no rush and have found an interesting milk run flight which makes five stops en route with a circuitous routing. Name the airline, all five stops in order, the NYC airport you will arrive into and the aircraft type. Southern operating a DC9-10 MKE - MEM - ___ - MOB - ATL - IAD - LGA. Still looking for the second stop.... which wasn't JAN or GPT.

19. From New York City, you've now journeyed up to Toronto for a visit with old friends on board a flight which departed in the morning from Newark Airport and made one stop en route. What airline were you flying with, where was the stop made and what type of equipment did you fly on? ANSWERED

20. Following a lovely visit with your friends in Toronto, business calls which means a trip to Tucson. Surprisingly, you find there is a direct flight from YYZ to TUS which operates six days a week and makes four stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all four stops in order and the aircraft type. Republic operating a DC9-50 with DTW being the first stop. This flight did not stop at ORD....but it did stop at MKE and MSP. So we are still looking for one missing stop here as well as the correct order of the four stops.

21. The meeting in Tucson went well; however, a follow up meeting is now called for in nearby Phoenix. You're booked on a morning nonstop to PHX which operates daily and departs TUS at 7:40 am. What airline will you be flying with and what is the equipment operated on this flight? ANSWERED

22. The meeting in Phoenix also was successful and now it's time to head to Washington, D.C. You're in no rush and have found an interesting multi-stop flight which operates a circuitous routing. This service makes four stops en route, operates six days a week and arrives into National Airport (DCA). You book a seat in first class. Name the air carrier you will be flying with, the four stops in order and the aircraft type. Hint: first you fly north and then you fly east

23. A last minute change in plans now requires you to fly from Phoenix to Boston instead of Washington, D.C. No problem! You find the first departure of the day from PHX to BOS is a two stop direct flight which operates six days a week. Ah, what's this? No first class is offered on this flight as the aircraft is in an all-coach configuration? No problem again as you are able to book a window seat in the front of the cabin. What airline will you be flying with, where will the two stops be made and what is the equipment? ANSWERED

The 1980's.....

24. You are in Houston in 1980 when the phone rings. And this is what you hear: "Hey man, we are in Mazatlan and I need an extra crewmember to help sail the cat back home to Santa Barbara! Can you help your old sailing buddy out?!" Well, of course you can! You quickly ascertain that one airline can get you into MZT just after 12 noon via a connection with a connecting time of just over one and one-half hours. Your first flight will be nonstop and breakfast will be served while your second flight will be nonstop as well with lunch being served. Identify the airport you will depart from in the Houston area, the air carrier, the connecting city and the different aircraft types operated on each flight. Hint: the connection was not made at an airport in Texas

25. Now it's 1982 and you are in Winnipeg. This time you really do need to travel to Washington D.C. and are booked on a daily direct flight that will make one stop en route. Name the airline, the stop, the airport you will arrive into in the Washington, D.C. area and the equipment. ANSWERED

26. You are now in Amarillo in 1983 and are about to travel to London. You've found a very attractive coach fare with two airlines and a connection being involved. Your first flight operates daily and will be nonstop to your connecting city where you will have two hours and 10 minutes to connect. Your second flight will also be nonstop and only operates on the weekends. Identify both air carriers, the connecting city, the airport you will arrive into in the London area and different aircraft types operated on each flight. ANSWERED

27. Fill in the blank concerning this print ad run by a U.S.-based airline:

THE NEW OWNERS OF ___(airline)___ INVITE YOU TO FIND OUT JUST HOW GOOD AN AIRLINE CAN BE IN 1984.

ANSWERED.....it was Western

28. It's 1985 and you are in Fort-de-France in the Caribbean. You're off to Mexico City via two flights and a connection with both flights being operated by the same airline. Your first flight operates four days a week and makes two stops en route to your connecting city where you will have one hour to make your connection. This flight also has a change in flight number at one of the intermediate stops although it is same plane service. Your second flight will be nonstop. Name the air carrier, the two stops made by the first flight, the connecting city and the equipment which was the same aircraft type operated on both flights. ANSWERED

Hint for # 29 and # 30: The same aircraft type was operated on both flights

29. It's 1988 and you are en route from Indianapolis to San Antonio for a lunch meeting the next day on the Riverwalk on board the only direct flight that operates from IND to SAT. This service operates daily and makes one stop. Identify the airline, the stop and the equipment.

30. The lunch meeting in San Antonio went well and you are now on your way to Milwaukee on board a daily direct flight that makes one stop en route. Name the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft type.

This will get us started with more to come.....

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 30, 2020 at 9:43 am Reason: fine tuning as usual...and answer updates plus a correction concerning connecting time for # 6
Old Nov 15, 2020, 12:41 pm

Thanks for that tid bit. Good enough for trivia fodder. For some reason, I don't think I ever noticed these ads!

Music paper being the NME? Just wasn't following music enough to read let alone buy it though I know a good many in school who did.
Could have been any. University union (student club) used to get them all each week. New Musical Express (NME); Melody Maker; Record Mirror: Sounds: Rolling Stone.

10cc also owned, themselves, their recording studio, Strawberry Studios, for themselves and many others, in a Victorian-era building in inner Stockport, near Manchester. Directly behind the building is where the British Midland Canadair C-4 Argonaut crashed on approach to Manchester, in the 1967 Stockport air crash. It was fortunately on waste area, which had been derelict for 25 years since WW2 bombing. The memorial to the disaster is just to the east of the studio on Waterloo Road. I think they likely bought the building a couple of years after the accident. Here https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4072...7i13312!8i6656 . The memorial is the stones and the names tablet on the right, their studios are the old brick building on the left. All other buildings visible, and the trees around the memorial, post-date the accident.

The National Airlines ads of the 1970s were on various billboards in (principally) London and Manchester. They also appeared in The Times newspaper, which in those days had a daily, notably challenging, crossword at the bottom of the front page, a national institution. Alongside was a blank column as a scribbling area, which had a small sponsorship ad at the top, seemingly a favourite for airline ads. National, with one girl's name in the Fly Me slogan, and the sunburst face logo, was a recurring regular there, alternatively UK Northeast Airlines after their name change from BKS. Just like National cycled the girls' names, Northeast cycled their destinations from London, they only had a few - Newcastle, Leeds, Bilbao, Bordeaux, Klagenfurt. We had a guy in the students union, where we got The Times daily as well, who could often do the crossword each morning in about 10 minutes (apparently all the senior spy staff at MI5/MI6 were similar), and if there was space left in the scribbling area under the National ad he would then do a decidedly non-politically correct sketch of the abovementioned girl !

(One April 1 the crossword composer did a first class April Fool on the readers with clues which cleverly seemed to fit, but didn't, which caused extreme angst all day in various government and academic senior circles, and a huge amount of correspondence in the letters column subsequently, and was even mentioned wittily in the House of Commons ! ).
Old Nov 15, 2020, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

25. Now it's 1982 and you are in Winnipeg. This time you really do need to travel to Washington D.C. and are booked on a daily direct flight that will make one stop en route. Name the airline, the stop, the airport you will arrive into in the Washington, D.C. area and the equipment.
Sounds suspiciously like something Northwest would have operated. To DCA Via MSP with a DC-9 (can't even narrow the sub-type but it wasn't the MD-80 precursor).
Old Nov 15, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Sounds suspiciously like something Northwest would have operated. To DCA Via MSP with a DC-9 (can't even narrow the sub-type but it wasn't the MD-80 precursor).
25. And you are off to an excellent start here! It was indeed Northwest.....however, the flight did not stop in Minneapolis/St. Paul, the aircraft wasn't a DC9-30 and the service did not arrive into Washington National. Please guess again, sir!
Old Nov 15, 2020, 5:26 pm

7. Now it's 1969 and you are in Montevideo. You are off to London in first class on board a flight that only operates once a week with this service making four stops en route. Name the airline, all four stops in order and the equipment.
From the days when Uruguay was a significant trading partner with Britain - coal in, beef out was the tradition, but there was a lot more.

British United VC-10, which had started at Santiago and Buenos Aires, hopped over the River Plate (like Short flying boats once did) to Montevideo, then Sao Paolo, Rio, Las Palmas and Lisbon, to London gatwick.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the days when Uruguay was a significant trading partner with Britain - coal in, beef out was the tradition, but there was a lot more.

British United VC-10, which had started at Santiago and Buenos Aires, hopped over the River Plate (like Short flying boats once did) to Montevideo, then Sao Paolo, Rio, Las Palmas and Lisbon, to London gatwick.
7. Correct! Here's the complete sched.....

BR 664: Santiago Pudahuel (SCL) 14:40 - 16:20 Buenos Aires (EZE) 17:05 - 18:40 Montevideo (MVD) 19:10 - 21:30 Sao Paulo Viracopos (VCP) 22:00 - 22:50 Rio de Janeiro Galeao (GIG) 23:50 - 10:20+1 Las Palmas (LPA) 11:20 - 14:15 Lisbon (LIS) 14:50 - 17:00 London Gatwick (LGW)
Freq: Mondays only
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Of course....
Equip: VC10

And according to the British United marketing message which appeared in their timetable at this time.....

BUA - the only British airline flying all VC10 services to Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Montevideo, Buenos Aires, Santiago.

Why settle for less?
Old Nov 15, 2020, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And Congratulations to NASA and the entire SpaceX team for the successful launch of four astronauts this evening from KSC in Florida to the ISS!
Old Nov 15, 2020, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
2. It's 1966 and you are Phoenix where you've just completed a project assignment as an independent contractor. Old friends have invited you to join them on a backpacking trip in the Desolation Wilderness Area in the El Dorado National Forest near Lake Tahoe. So you would like to fly into the closest airport to the trail head that has jet service with a mid morning departure from Phoenix and an afternoon arrival into this closest airport. Quick research reveals that two airlines and a connection will be required with an interline connecting time of two hours and 20 minutes between the carriers. Both of these flights will make one stop en route. Name both air carriers, the stop made by each flight, the connecting airport, the airport you will arrive into via your connecting flight and the different aircraft types operated on each service.
well, before jumping into this 1966 question I'll observe that my remaining 1966 questions again had few takers, so herewith the answers:

2A- As the project is winding down, you receive invitations to three consecutive breakfast meetings to discuss follow-on efforts. The first is on Wednesday at the field office in Billings; the second is with a consultant in Chicago on Thursday; and the third is at the Boston home office on Friday. Naturally, you’re delighted to see that you can keep your two-stop routine in place for the entire cross-country trip. On the first day, each flight involves a different airline and a different aircraft type, and you’ll even have time for a beer or two and dinner with a college buddy in the airport where you change airlines. Further perusing the first airline’s timetable, you realize you can depart PDX on an earlier flight (on yet a different type) to one of the intermediate stops and have lunch at that airport (presuming, of course, that you’ll actually find a restaurant or bar in what’s sure to be a fairly small building) before picking up the original flight. Please identify both airlines, all three equipment types, and all stops in sequence.
HINT: The flights on the first airline operated with twin-engine aircraft; the flight on the second airline operated with a four-engine aircraft
2A: West Coast, DC3, PDX-YKM; F27, YKM-PSC-GEG; Northwest, Electra, GEG-MSO-GTF-BIL

2B, 2C- Both the second and third days are straightforward: a direct two-stop flight, each on a distinct airline and jet. As usual, please the airline, the aircraft, and the stops in order for each flight.
HINT: One has four engines, the other does not
2B: Northwest, 727, BIL-BIS-MSP-ORD
2C: American, 990, ORD-DTW-JFK-
BOS

3A- A month later, as you’re enjoying your second Bloody Mary and struggling with the Sunday crossword, a frantic-sounding project manager from the Newark office calls. The courier service just delivered the wrong drawing package for her client’s Monday morning visit. Can you somehow get the right files to Newark in time? Well, your Monday tickets are in your attache case, and your calendar has been blocked for months -- an early flight for a breakfast meeting with a Dartmouth professor to talk about a potential consulting arrangement, with further talks and tours of the research labs in the afternoon. Then you're supposed to proceed on the same airline to an airport near Long Island University, site of a 730pm welcome reception for a two-and-a-half-day symposium. Please identify the airline, both equipment types, the airport serving the Dartmouth campus, your arrival airport in the New York metropolitan area, and of course the intermediate stop on the southbound flight.
HINT: Both are twin-engine aircraft
3A: Northeast, DC3, BOS-LEB; FH-227, LEB-EEN-JFK

3B- Your first thought is to switch your morning flight to a NYC departure, so you could simply check into the conference hotel tonight. Bummer, no two-stop trip today; it's a 1045am arrival, meaning it'll be a down-and-back by train and/or the Eastern shuttle. Or not! Here’s a nonstop to EWR, and a late evening one-stop on another carrier and aircraft type, back to BOS. The airlines, the aircraft, and the stop on the return flight, please.
HINTS: Both airlines in question operated these two aircraft types (and had several others in common); the two carriers competed on all three segments, although service to/from the intermediate stop may have used other NYC airports
3B: National, Electra, BOS-EWR; Eastern, 727, EWR-BDL-BOS

3C- A few minutes later the phone rings again. Wait, what? She needs the Denison University folio, but has the Rutgers University one? Dang it, where’s a map? Where’s the OAG? Okay, here’s a workable single-carrier itinerary – but it's 13 brutal hours. The project manager agrees to meet you at a major airport, about an hour’s drive from Newark, where you’ll be disembarking from a direct First Class dinner flight (making, of course, two stops). Your return trip leaves just over four hours later -- plenty of time to review the files and have what will certainly be a much-needed drink -- and gets you back to Logan before sunrise; it involves two different jets, with the first flight making an intermediate stop before the connecting point. Please identify the airline, all aircraft types, the meetup airport, and all stops in order.
HINT: All three are four-engine aircraft
3C: TWA, Constellation, BOS-BDL-PIT-CMH; 880, CMH-PIT-JFK; 707, JFK-BOS

4- Following the symposium closing session, you’re headed to Mexico City. You certainly could have picked the simple same-plane two-stop itinerary, but you found a much more interesting option that involves two airlines, two aircraft types, and an unusual connecting point. It also arrives at the far-less-inconvenient hour of 955pm rather than shortly before midnight. You know the drill: we’re looking for the departure airport, the airlines, the equipment, and both enroute airports. Bonus points, of course, for the info for the direct flight.
HINT: All three aircraft are from different manufacturers
4: American, BAC 1-11, LGA-YYZ; Canadian Pacific, DC8, YYZ-YQG-MEX; direct flight -- American, 707, JFK-DAL-SAT-MEX

2- "jet service to the Lake Tahoe area in 1966" was a Pacific Airlines 727 from Los Angeles/LAX, with an intermediate stop in San Jose/SJC ... the most probable one-stop jet service from PHX to LAX would have been a Western 720 via San Diego/SAN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.