Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Nov 4, 2020, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I always liked the "wide-body look" of the 707/727 interior with the coutoured bins and sculpted ceiling

as an aside, three of the six airlines whose advertisements appear above are represented in the answers to my questions from 1966 (in fact, one airline appears three times)
Old Nov 5, 2020, 3:03 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
My first experience with European low cost carrier seating came aboard a Vueling A320 flight between Frankfurt and Barcelona. OMG! The 29" pitch was indeed tight. Thank goodness it was only a 2 hour flight!
Life is different over here. We all grew up with holiday flights to the Mediterranean with 28" pitch from the holiday airlines, that's 119Y in a Super One-Eleven or 130Y in a 737-200. UK aero seat manufacturer Rumbold came up with a seat design called Rumbold Slimline, which became the standard fitting. When operators such as British Caledonian ran the aircraft on a mix of holiday flights and mainstream schedules, the latter got the same seating - my first ever jet, a scheduled British Eagle One-Eleven, Liverpool to London, was just like this (with about 25 passengers on board - Eagle went bankrupt the following month).

Incidentally, you generally got a hot meal (of sorts) served both ways on those Mediterranean flights, so had to put the tray down, plus that holiday wonder, the duty free bar service, charged for, where the flight attendants turned into some of the best sales team you can imagine - poorly paid but they were on commission and it was said some doubled their pay from this in high summer.

When Ryanair and Easyjet started up, both initially ran with jets leased from the holiday flight market, so the same applied and has stuck.

There were some less than honourable moments. The 130Y 737-200 had seats pitched this way, 6-across, right over the centre-wing emergency exit. When the British Airtours 737 was destroyed by fire on takeoff at Manchester in 1985, this was found to have significantly impeded escape. The next month the seat against the exit was summarily removed from every UK-registered 737 and they were all knocked down to 128Y. Possibly worse was the 1967 loss of the Air Ferry DC4 in 1967 which struck a mountain on the French/Spanish border on approach at about 3am, with 88 passengers on board - in a DC4 ! It was the worst DC4 accident of all. No wonder, I don't think you could have got another in.

Spirit describes its seats as being “pre-reclined,” which is just a clever way of saying they have no recline at all.
Euphemism of the week.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Good Morning All! Lady K and yours truly along with our lil pup Miss Bella have now returned from a road trip in my BMW M4 up to the wilds of Arkansas and Oklahoma. The latter actually has low mountains (who knew) in the Ouachita National Forest located in the extreme east-southeast portion of the state while the highest point in the former (2,753 feet above sea level - no danger of a nose bleed here) can be found in Magazine Mountain State Park (we stayed in a very upscale cabin on a ridge top in this park with the accommodations being reminiscent of a ski lodge in Vail - highly recommended!) located inside of Ozark National Forest. The fall foliage colors were magnificent and it was great trip!

I should be ready to submit a new batch of quiz items in a couple of days so pleased stay tuned....and I'll also check in with Seat 2A and ascertain how he is coming along with his new set.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by jlemon
... the wilds of Arkansas and Oklahoma. ...
those are two of the last three states on Mrs767's "yet-to-visit" list (Kansas being the third, so all will be easily attainable in a single Alaska Airlines trip such as SEA-OKC/ICT-SEA when conditions again permit) ... have made a note re accommodations

Originally Posted by jlemon
I should be ready to submit a new batch of quiz items in a couple of days so pleased stay tuned....and I'll also check in with Seat 2A and ascertain how he is coming along with his new set.
one more appeal ...
Originally Posted by jrl767
... three of the six airlines whose advertisements appear in Seat 2A's post above are represented in the answers to my questions from 1966 (in fact, one airline appears three times)

Last edited by jrl767; Nov 11, 2020 at 3:13 pm
Old Nov 12, 2020, 7:19 am

those are two of the last three states on Mrs767's "yet-to-visit" list (Kansas being the third ...)
From over here I've managed, in various forms, 38 of the US states over the years. The remaining 12 are alas a scatter; I've wondered sometimes about coming over to knock off the remaining ones, but it would be quite a trip. I've done Kansas, but Arkansas and Oklahoma are two of the 12 - along with South Dakota, West Virginia, New Hampshire etc (courtesy of TWA, I managed Maine without New Hampshire ... who is thinking "Did TWA ever serve Maine ?).

Have however done all the Canadian provinces (even PEI), having driven St Johns Nfld to Victoria BC in 1983, 5,500 miles overall, in 13 days. I'd do it again in a moment ? I can also claim every UK (and Ireland) county, curiously not achieving the last UK one until after that Canadian trip, and every mile of UK motorways.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
While waiting for the next set of trivia answers, I'll troll for future quiz fodder.

As far a popular music goes, I am familiar with only one airline and 2 types of aircraft featured in the lyrics, I think the first answer is obvious. The 2nd pair maybe a bit less. Am prepared to be enlightened.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
While waiting for the next set of trivia answers, I'll troll for future quiz fodder.

As far a popular music goes.....
In the same vein, name the singer-songwriter who performed this song which mentions a wide body aircraft.....

I walked to the window turned out the light
Looked at the city went through the night
Yeah I stood in the darkness stood all alone

Thank God for California thank God I'm going home

That's right you hurt me baby hurt me good
Hurt me like no one else ever could
Cut me down the middle face down in the dirt
And we both know it's too late to save it
Betcha feel proud about it baby
You taught me how to hurt

DC-10, 10:45
Halfway to L.A. red in the eye
Might be the devil, might just be his friend
It don't make no difference you ain't gettin' me again

That's right you hurt me baby hurt me good
Hurt me like no one else ever could
Cut me down the middle face down in the dirt
And we both know it's too late to save it
Betcha feel proud about it baby
You taught me how to hurt
Old Nov 13, 2020, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3 popular songs (I'm pretty weak in that department especially the last 4 decades). The other two I have in mind feature 4-holers.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach

As far a popular music goes, I am familiar with only one airline and 2 types of aircraft featured in the lyrics.
  • airline: Beatles, Back in the USSR -- "Flew into Miami Beach BOAC"
  • 4-engine jet: Steve Miller, Jet Airliner -- "But my heart keeps callin' me back / As I get on the 707"
  • 2-engine jet: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Travelin' Band -- "737 comin' out of the sky"
Old Nov 13, 2020, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

• airline: Beatles, Back in the USSR -- "Flew into Miami Beach BOAC"
Only airline one I know of.

• 4-engine jet: Steve Miller, Jet Airliner -- "But my heart keeps callin' me back / As I get on the 707"
  • 2-engine jet: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Travelin' Band -- "737 comin' out of the sky"
Have (or my wife has) the TSMB CD with that song but have never noticed the lyric. Never noticed the CCR. So up to 5.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
  • airline: Beatles, Back in the USSR -- "Flew into Miami Beach BOAC”
paper bag was on my knee. Man, I had a dreadful flight
Old Nov 13, 2020, 4:58 pm

• airline: Beatles, Back in the USSR -- "Flew into Miami Beach BOAC
Quick question then. The track opens with the sound of an aircraft.

What aircraft ?
Old Nov 13, 2020, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Quick question then. The track opens with the sound of an aircraft.

What aircraft ?
I've seen the answer, at least according to Wikipedia, in the past few months. I don't have confidence in that answer (due to the type of propulsion).
Old Nov 13, 2020, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

considering the era, along with the nationality of the questioner and the artists, perhaps a Britannia?
Old Nov 13, 2020, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
One hit that got a lot of airplay in the early 1970s was Albert Hammond's "It Never Rains In Southern California"

Got on board a westbound 747
Didn't think before deciding what to do
Oh, that talk of opportunities, TV breaks and movies
Rang true, sure rang true

Seems it never rains in southern California
Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before
It never rains in California
But girl, don't they warn ya?
It pours, man, it pours

Out of work, I'm out of my head
Out of self respect, I'm out of bread
I'm underloved, I'm underfed
I wanna go home

It never rains in California
But girl, don't they warn ya?
It pours, man, it pours

Will you tell the folks back home I nearly made it?
Had offers but didn't know which one to take
Please…

I would hear this song and always envision myself on TWA's afternoon 747 from JFK out to LAX.

Alas, that never happened. Instead I ended up on United's 7:00pm DC-10 watching Yul Brynner and Richard Benjamin in Westworld...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.