Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2020, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
I stand partially corrected ... going back to the question as originally posed

UA is PARTIALLY CORRECT for the second flight

as a further hint, other than TT's DC9, there were only a limited number of twin-engine aircraft types plying the skies around AMA in early 1966, and their OAG codes only had two characters
I'm thinking "LE" which would mean Braniff or American but if you're headed for Portland - and assuming your routing doesn't take you AWAY from Portland (such as to Kansas City or Oklahoma City) - I don't see either of those two coming into play. Now it's possible Continental might've had a Viscount "VV" but I don't see a two stop routing out of Amarillo - again assuming the routing doesn't take you AWAY from Portland. And of course Frontier might've run a Convair 580 "C5" up to Denver but I'm at a loss as to the routing back then. Alas, I am only a simple minded bus driver so I'd better leave this one to others far more intelligent than I. Good luck!
Old Oct 8, 2020, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Unless you guys object, I want to insert some non aviation questions into the mix, taken from our Abbey Road pub quiz, in which @YariGuy is our unofficial team captain.

Who is the only person to win Nobel Prizes in different science disciplines? Bonus points if you are able to name the subjects.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
1. ... of course Frontier might've run a Convair 580 "C5" up to Denver but I'm at a loss as to the routing back then. ...
1- well now! your supposition of DEN as the connecting point is CORRECT!

so ... let’s think about other carriers (from researching these questions, there were two that I know of) that operated AMA-XXX-YYY-DEN in early 1966 with something other than a Convair 580

and by the way, for purposes of completeness in answering the entire question, don’t forget about CO ...

Last edited by jrl767; Oct 9, 2020 at 1:24 pm Reason: added link to relevant post a bit upthread
Old Oct 9, 2020, 6:17 am

Programs: BA
2A. flag carrier for what eventually became 2 different countries (and is still the flag carrier for one of the countries). Name the other country and its flag carrier too
Can I offer CSA, formerly for Czechoslovakia, now just for the Czech Republic. Although the S has gone from the state, the airline still keeps it (bit like Aeroflot still keeping the Soviet Union hammer & sickle logo on current Russian aircraft).

The Slovaks never got a carrier of their own going long term. Partly because their capital Bratislava is geographically effectively a suburb of Vienna in Austria, and with open borders etc and a major airport about 30 minutes along the Autobahn, it never worked out. Ryanair moved in on what direct business from Bratislava's own airport remained (most custom seems to come from Vienna).

If we want a country where the breakaway developed their own flag carrier, I would suggest Pakistan. Of course, before 1947 it was originally all India, at a time when Indian National Airways were the principal carrier, and Bombay, Karachi etc were their home ports. Then Pakistan broke away, in two widely separated parts, and PIA came along, in no small part to connect the two halves together. When things were good with India, about half the time, they flew straight across. When not, the other half of the time, they had to fly right round past Sri Lanka, and needed serious intercontinental-capable aircraft to do the trip. Then the eastern half broke away and Biman Bangladesh started up, while PIA continued in the western half..

Last edited by WHBM; Oct 9, 2020 at 6:41 am
Old Oct 9, 2020, 6:20 am

Separately, I wish to draw the attention of many participants here to American, Delta, United, Southwest, Jet Blue and Alaska all about to be folded into British Airways. Welcome all ...

https://londondaily.com/after-tuesda...published-this
born sleepy, Seat 2A, TPJ and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 6:50 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
So while we are at it, which airlines were

1. flag carrier for 2 different countries.
How about

Caribbean Airlines

I think the story was that BWIA went bankrupt and reincarnated as Caribbean Airlines and then acquired Air Jamaica.

So - at least in theory - Caribbean Airlines should be a flag carrier of Trinidad & Tobago and Jamaica.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by WHBM
Can I offer CSA, formerly for Czechoslovakia, now just for the Czech Republic. Although the S has gone from the state, the airline still keeps it (bit like Aeroflot still keeping the Soviet Union hammer & sickle logo on current Russian aircraft).
Answered in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32717355-post20440.html

If we want a country where the breakaway developed their own flag carrier, I would suggest Pakistan. Of course, before 1947 it was originally all India, at a time when Indian National Airways were the principal carrier, and Bombay, Karachi etc were their home ports. Then Pakistan broke away, in two widely separated parts, and PIA came along, in no small part to connect the two halves together. When things were good with India, about half the time, they flew straight across. When not, the other half of the time, they had to fly right round past Sri Lanka, and needed serious intercontinental-capable aircraft to do the trip. Then the eastern half broke away and Biman Bangladesh started up, while PIA continued in the western half..
The subcontinent airline breakup is a possibility but I wasn't thinking of decolonialization. I understand the whole India - Pakistan division was a mess drawn up in Whitehall and not any separatism (the only post-colonial breakaway/up was Pakistan).

Then again, you have provided the answer I was seeking.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Separately, I wish to draw the attention of many participants here to American, Delta, United, Southwest, Jet Blue and Alaska all about to be folded into British Airways. Welcome all ...

https://londondaily.com/after-tuesda...published-this
Ah, no doubt part of a master plan conceived by Luis Gallego who is now the head of IAG.

And I wonder where Alex Cruz will show up next after he departs from BA.....
Old Oct 14, 2020, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by jlemon
Ah, no doubt part of a master plan conceived by Luis Gallego who is now the head of IAG.

And I wonder where Alex Cruz will show up next after he departs from BA.....
Hopefully nowhere to do with aviation.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
And what if at some point IAG was allowed to acquire American Airlines? Pure speculation on my part, of course...but then again, these are strange times and the commercial air carrier business certainly has yet to emerge from the current crisis brought on by the pandemic. Hopefully the situation will stabilize in the not so distant future.

Well, theoretically speaking, if AA were to be merged into BA, the combined UK-based airline could possibly be named British American which then might simply be known as.....BAM.

You heard it here first, folks....
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
no

just no

Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted dupe post.....see below.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 15, 2020 at 6:09 pm
Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plus this interesting news headline today courtesy of Air Transport World (ATW) as a sign of the times......

United Airlines Execs Upbeat Despite $1.8 Billion Net Loss In The Third Quarter

Yep, they kept their 90 day loss under two billion and UA management stated they have now turned the corner.....

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 15, 2020 at 7:24 pm
Old Oct 16, 2020, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by moondog
Unless you guys object, I want to insert some non aviation questions into the mix, taken from our Abbey Road pub quiz, in which @YariGuy is our unofficial team captain.

Who is the only person to win Nobel Prizes in different science disciplines? Bonus points if you are able to name the subjects.
That would be Marie Curie for physics and chemistry, I think.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
Who is the only person to win Nobel Prizes in different science disciplines?
Bonus Questions: What airline did the above referenced person fly to Stockholm upon? Did he/she travel in Business Class or Economy Class?

P.S. It's good to have internet access again. I recently rode by rail across the continent from Portland, OR to Baltimore, MD. Unfortunately, I was unable to access the internet via amtrak's wi-fi network in either the Portland or Chicago lounges or aboard the Cardinal which is wi-fi equipped. I spent last night in Glen Burnie, MD and then flew from Baltimore to Miami today.

Alaska Airlines sells only half of the seats in its First Class cabin and within reason leaves the middle seats empty back in steerage (families, couples, known groups excepted). Not so American Airlines on which all seats are fair game. This afternoon's flight between Charlotte and Miami was sold out and of course it seemed we spent an inordinate amount of time crowded into the jet bridge as somewhere ahead of us things unraveled onboard. Not a good or safe way to travel. I'll be sticking to Alaska or Southwest from now on.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 17, 2020 at 11:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.