Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2020, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
Air Alsace, via Nancy
Aerospatiale SN.601 Corvette
9. Correct! SY 606 departed Colmar (CMR) at 5:30 pm and arrived into Nancy (FNC) at 5:50 pm before departing at 6:10 pm with an arrival into London Gatwick (LGW) at 6:15 pm local time.

The Aerospatiale SN.601 Corvette was also used as a business jet. As a regional jet operated by Air Alsace, I think it was configured with just 14 seats and thus may have been one of the smallest (if not the smallest) jet aircraft ever operated into London Gatwick in scheduled airline operations.

Here's a photo of an Air Alsace Aerospatiale SN.601 Corvette at LGW.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-...orvette/811758

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 2, 2020 at 4:57 pm Reason: added photo link & corrected airport code for Nancy
Old Sep 2, 2020, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
18- I'm pretty sure that the only other airport in the Houston area that saw commercial service was Ellington Field (EFD) ... jlemon has over the life of the Quiz mentioned several Continental affiliate carriers, but the one that sticks in my mind with respect to "only aircraft type operated by the air carrier in question" is Emerald Air, which iirc flew the DC-9-10

5- sounds a lot like a TWA Convair 880 via Indianapolis/IND
5. Ah, it wasn't TWA, the aircraft wasn't a CV-880 and the stop was not made at Indianapolis....

18. Over the years, there were actually six airports in the greater Houston area that saw scheduled passenger service. Galveston and Lake Jackson had scheduled passenger operations as well but are a bit further away from the Houston area; however, not by much. Of the six airfields with airline flights in the Houston area in the past, Ellington Field (EFD) was definitely one of them with Continental Express EMB-120 Brasilia and ATR-42 service followed by ERJ-135 service with all COEx flights making the short hop across town to IAH. I flew on COEx a number of times between EFD and IAH with connections being made to and from CO mainline flights at IAH.

However, to the best of my knowledge, Emerald Air never served Ellington Field. You may also recall that Emerald Air operated the Fairchild Hiller FH-227 as well in addition to the DC9. Plus, EFD is not the airport we are looking for here nor was the aircraft a DC9-10.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 2, 2020 at 3:04 pm Reason: additional info
Old Sep 2, 2020, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
5- 1969, DAY-XXX-LAX, not a TW 880 via IND ... let's try American, with a 727-100 stopping at Cincinnati/CVG
Old Sep 2, 2020, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

5- 1969, DAY-XXX-LAX, not a TW 880 via IND ... let's try American, with a 727-100 stopping at Cincinnati/CVG
5. American operating a B727-100 is correct; however, the flight in question did not stop at Cincinnati.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
5- third time's the charm: Nashville/BNA
Old Sep 2, 2020, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

5- third time's the charm: Nashville/BNA
5. Yep! Here's the sched....

AA 335: Dayton (DAY) 5:15p (EST) - 5:06p (CST) Nashville (BNA) 5:35p - 7:35p Los Angeles (LAX)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Dinner BNA-LAX
Equip: 727
Old Sep 2, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA
15. You've successfully concluded your business in Glasgow and are now headed to Miami. You are surprised to find there is actually a weekly nonstop flight which departs from Prestwick Airport to Miami which fits your schedule. Name the airline and the equipment.
1981 was the first wave of UK holiday interest there. I reckon it's most likely Air Florida on a DC-10.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
1981 was the first wave of UK holiday interest there. I reckon it's most likely Air Florida on a DC-10.
15. Indeed, the aircraft operated on this weekly nonstop service from PIK to MIA was a DC-10.

However, the air carrier in question wasn't Air Florida. Please guess again, sir!
Old Sep 2, 2020, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
9. Correct! SY 606 departed Colmar (CMR) at 5:30 pm and arrived into Nancy (ETZ) at 5:50 pm before departing at 6:10 pm with an arrival into London Gatwick (LGW) at 6:15 pm local time.

The Aerospatiale SN.601 Corvette was also used as a business jet. As a regional jet operated by Air Alsace, I think it was configured with just 14 seats and thus may have been one of the smallest (if not the smallest) jet aircraft ever operated into London Gatwick in scheduled airline operations.
The photo is one in Air Alsace colours, but they mainly were seen in Air France livery, like many other French secondary operators. For some reason all the other schedules they had were on AF flight numbers but this run from Gatwick to Nancy and their home base at Colmar was on their own.

Here's the schedule from a couple of years earlier, in the Air France timetable, where you can see they also did the Air France twice-daily service from Strasbourg (about 45 minutes drive from Colmar) to London Heathrow, likewise with the Corvette (code NDC). The Corvette was from Aerospatiale, which was a merger of the old Nord and Sud companies; the design was done by Nord before the merger, hence the code NDC. For some reason the daily service always seems to have been run from the Gatwick end, not otherwise served by Air Alsace, with a quick turnround at the Colmar base before heading back.

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...77/af77-24.jpg
Old Sep 2, 2020, 4:31 pm

15. Indeed, the aircraft operated on this weekly nonstop service from PIK to MIA was a DC-10.

However, the air carrier in question wasn't Air Florida. Please guess again, sir!
OK, let's go for Laker.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
OK, let's go for Laker.
15. Correct! The flight was indeed operated by Laker Airways Skytrain. Here's the complete sched....

GK 63: Manchester (MAN) 14:00 - 14:50 (est.) Glasgow Prestwick (PIK) 15:35 - 19:40 Miami (MIA)
Freq: Wednesdays only
Service class: one size fits all although I believe three different air fares were offered, being Super Economy, Excursion and Walk-On
Meal service: I think dinner was included with Super Economy and Excursion fares but was an extra charge for Walk-On fares
Equip: DC-10

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 2, 2020 at 5:28 pm Reason: additional info
Old Sep 2, 2020, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And in current airline news, the airline industry publication Air Transport World (ATW) reported today that over 16,000 employees of United Airlines will be furloughed effective October 1.

That is apparently good news for a large number of UA workers as the airline had initially stated that around 36,000 employees would be furloughed.

We continue to live in interesting times, folks.....
Old Sep 3, 2020, 12:29 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass

3. Fill in the blanks concerning this 1967 print ad:

___(airline)___ choose a new jet and ___(country)___ becomes the fifth Latin American country to order the BAC One-Eleven. . .
VASP, Brazil

which joined TACA, LANICA, LACSA, and Austral already operating the plane in South America

20. In 1987, this airline introduced a front cabin service on its wide body aircraft it called "Big Seat service". The air carrier in question described this service as being "a business-style standard of travel at much less than a business-style price" with the seats offering "the comfort of extra width, extra legroom and extra-deep cushioning of a business-style seat." Name the air carrier that offered this "Big Seat service".
Ward Air

Last edited by teddybear99; Sep 3, 2020 at 12:40 am Reason: forgot to answer question 20
Old Sep 3, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
19. It's still 1985 and you are in Albany in New York state. Old friends have invited you to visit with them at their new home in the village of Mt. Baldy located in the San Gabriel Mountains in southern California. You are in no hurry and have found a very interesting direct flight which makes no less than six stops en route to the closest airport to Mt. Baldy village. The flight in question appears to operate to just about every point on the compass except due east during its journey from ALB to southern California. Identify the airline, all six stops in order, the airport you will arrive into in southern California and the equipment.
So, 1985 would be just before my family moved back to the Albany area but I'll take a stab at this.

My initial guess is United doing ALB-BUF-ORD-TUL-DEN-SFO-ONT on a 737-200.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8. Ah, yet another lovely visit with good friends in the village of Hakalau on the Big Island of Hawaii. You are with your Louisiana lady friend and now it's time to journey to New Orleans....in first class, of course. You will depart from the Big Island from the nearest airport to Hakalau and make one connection en route with both flights being operated by the same airline. Your first flight operates daily and will make two stops en route to your connecting airport where you will have a leisurely one hour and 22 minutes on the ground. Your second flight will operate nonstop to New Orleans and is also a daily service. So with all this in mind, identify the airport you will depart from in Hawaii, the airline you will travel with all the way to New Orleans, the two stops made by the first flight, the connecting city and the different equipment operated on these flights.
8- let’s try United: a 747 operating Hilo (ITO) - Honolulu (HNL) - Los Angeles (LAX) - Chicago (ORD) (and I’ll even go so far as to guess it was UA118, which I took as the LAX-ORD redeye in early 1977) ... followed by a 737-200 to MSY

10. You've just finished a project assignment in Milwaukee when the phone rings and you hear this: "Hey, buddy, the repairs are finished and the cat is good to go! We are ready to set sail to Virgin Gorda! When can you be here?!" And just where is your old sailing buddy located? "Nassau!" Well, here you go again....and you quickly ascertain that two airlines will be involved for your trip from MKE to NAS with a 90 minute connection time between the two flights you'll be traveling on, both of which will be nonstop and also both operated with the same aircraft type. Identify both air carriers, the airport where the connection will be made and the equipment.
10- I think a connection between two domestic carriers is unlikely ... and that said, I can’t think of too many airlines of other countries serving NAS from the U.S. or Canada
  • Air Canada might have had service from Toronto/YYZ, but 1975 is probably several years too early for nonstop MKE-YYZ service
  • however, I vaguely recall Air Jamaica running a DC-8 from Chicago/ORD, so a same-aircraft possibility there would be United

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.