Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: All of them!
4) Detroit/Montreal 1988 --British Airways--
Old Nov 29, 2012, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

I should have said that were there a DC-8 on the ANC-HNL route I would like to have been on it. As to HA DC-8s serving ANC, I don't doubt you and hopefully didn't imply that I did. My only flight on that market was in 1983 aboard a Western DC-10. We departed Honolulu on a nice late June evening at about 6:00pm. As we flew north the sun set, and as we approached Alaska the sun rose again, then set again as we descended into Anchorage. Great flight, and the flight attendant introduced me to the pleasure of Amaretto on my ice cream sundae instead of hot fudge.

Hey, no problemo, Seat 2A! I've always found it very interesting how air carriers switch equipment around to meet expected demand. And roger that concerning the Amaretto! A good cup of coffee in first class with both Baileys and Amaretto is quite the treat! "And, ma'am, I'll have another one of those, please......"
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by cs57
4) Detroit/Montreal 1988 --British Airways--
Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding! We have a winner!

The other foreign airline operating on this route was Sabena. However, the schedule shows them operating an all coach 73S some days and a mixed configuration 72S on most others. I didn't see any local service airlines offering similarly timed flights and it seems odd that SN would keep any of its own aircraft parked at YMX for this short flight. Anyone have any further insight on this?

BTW, Sabena also operated a 747 on the YMX-ORD route.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
7. Continental from EWR? Of course! But Air West from JFK?!

Hey, Air West/Hughes Airwest never got further east than Des Moines, Milwaukee and Houston Hobby! Although RW was long gone by 1988, of course.....

I believe what our good friend miniliq meant was America West......
mea culpa -- this is the Old-Timers' Quiz -- senior moments are expected.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 5:11 pm

Programs: BA
Post 2000 of this thread, so the obvious (to us in the UK) airline to use to illustrate this is THIS ONE :

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-2...2b186495d467e7

Air 2000 was one of the new-generation of “quality” holiday airlines that came along in Europe in the 1980s, getting away from the tatty image of Dan-Air or Channel Airways, with significant investments in new aircraft, and notably pleasant in-flight catering, which would leave current US legacy carriers standing (eg mimosas and three-course meals for everybody). An elegant livery as well (the one here), from their start in 1987, until some bright sparks in marketing paid good money to have not one but two livery changes in quick succession, culminating in the ludicrous one instantly nicknamed “the starfish”, then in 2004 they changed the name of the airline to First Choice, then they sold out. But it was very good at the start. Canada 3000 was an offshoot.

OK, we need a question, one that the US team can have a go at as well. For much of their time Air 2000 Boeing 757s operated near-daily (and sometimes multiple flights per day) between two relatively minor US airports, although no US travellers could use it for these legs. What were the two US airports ?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM
OK, we need a question, one that the US team can have a go at as well. For much of their time Air 2000 Boeing 757s operated near-daily (and sometimes multiple flights per day) between two relatively minor US airports, although no US travellers could use it for these legs. What were the two US airports ?
Is this photo of any relevance to your question?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding! We have a winner!
DTW-YUL on BA L1011? I discounted them because I didn't think they used the Tristar TATK. 500?

Last effort for #2: Air Hawaii DC-10 .
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
DTW-YUL on BA L1011? I discounted them because I didn't think they used the Tristar TATK. 500?

Last effort for #2: Air Hawaii DC-10 .
The DTW-YMX schedule shows BA operating an L10 (As opposed to an L15). I seem to recall BA using the Tristar on some of its flights into New Orleans and either Tampa or Orlando or both. Possibly miniliq or jlemon may know something about those services...

As to that HNL-LAS flight, it's proving pretty tricky. Western used to fly it with a DC-10 and America West would go on to fly it with a 747, but in between another airline flew it - twice weekly with widebodied equipment.

Air Hawaii? Didn't they go out of service a couple of years earlier, like in 1986 or 87? I remember that they didn't last very long... but I did manage to score a postcard of their DC-10 before that happened.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:43 pm

2) Hawaiian on an L-1011 Correct
As to that HNL-LAS flight, it's proving pretty tricky. Western used to fly it with a DC-10 and America West would go on to fly it with a 747, but in between another airline flew it - twice weekly with widebodied equipment.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oops! I'm sorry about that, AW. In all the subsuquent banter about this question, I'd totally forgotten that it was one of yours correctly answered early on. Hawaiian it is - or was. Well done!

These questions still remain:

8. You’ve been invited to judge a barbecue competition in Kansas City. Mmmm! This airline offers the only nonstop wide bodied service between New York and Kansas City with a single morning departure. Breakfast will be served. Which airline and aircraft would you be flying upon?

14. What was the first U.S. Airline to sponsor an English football club?

15. This airline became the first to install television aboard its airplanes. Which airline was it and what year did this happen?

16. In 1961, this became the first U.S. airline to utilize a centralized computer based reservation service. What airline was it?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 30, 2012 at 12:23 am
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:57 am

16. In 1961, this became the first U.S. airline to utilize a centralized computer based reservation service. What airline was it?
I'll be really interested to see what the answer is. I also considered PANAMAC, but this page, and this page, among others, confirmed what I had remembered, that AA's Sabre was introduced as the first in 1961. So that's what I answered with.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Is this photo of any relevance to your question?
Good morning all from a frosty London, with my car all frozen over !

No, the photo, which is of an Air 2000 Boeing 757 leased to US charter operator Apple Vacations, is not connected. Charter companies in the Northern USA, and particularly Canada, have their peak time for vacation travel demand in the winter, down to the Caribbean/Mexico etc. Those in Europe have it in the summer, and business drops away in the winter. So there is a long tradition of leasing aircraft in both directions in the low season, as here.

The operation in the question is an actual Air 2000 operation.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 5:43 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
14. What was the first U.S. Airline to sponsor an English football club?
It may not be the first, but I see that Delta is sponsoring Chelsea according to this news item.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
BA used Tristars on various transatlantic routes, to a range of points, although it varied from year to year. The Tristar fleet, like the 767 fleet which replaced it, was divided into two, European and Long-Haul, with quite different cabin layouts for each, but the majority was always Long-Haul.

The series 500s were a bit of a silly story. Delivered in about 1980, the whole lot were disposed to the RAF in 1983 during a downturn, almost immediately followed by BA getting new licences for South American routes for which they had to go out and lease secondhand 500s from Air Lanka from 1985 to 1988. However, East Coast services would typically be on the -200 fleet.

I flew a 500 from Heathrow to Seattle in 1982, and onwards to Vancouver BC. We just stayed on board at Seattle and didn't enter the USA. Would cause apoplexy nowadays.

We discussed the BA Tristar 500 flights that briefly operated London-New Orleans-Mexico City around post # 1570 above.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Post 2000 of this thread, so the obvious (to us in the UK) airline to use to illustrate this is THIS ONE :

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-2...2b186495d467e7

Air 2000 was one of the new-generation of “quality” holiday airlines that came along in Europe in the 1980s, getting away from the tatty image of Dan-Air or Channel Airways, with significant investments in new aircraft, and notably pleasant in-flight catering, which would leave current US legacy carriers standing (eg mimosas and three-course meals for everybody). An elegant livery as well (the one here), from their start in 1987, until some bright sparks in marketing paid good money to have not one but two livery changes in quick succession, culminating in the ludicrous one instantly nicknamed “the starfish”, then in 2004 they changed the name of the airline to First Choice, then they sold out. But it was very good at the start. Canada 3000 was an offshoot.

I'll take a wild guess at this one....

Sanford Orlando Airport (SFB) and St. Petersburg Clearwater Airport (PIE) with services actually originating and terminating somewhere in the U.K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.