Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2020, 5:41 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Now you've got me curious as to why there are no volcanoes north of Baker until Mt. Edgecumbe, located just off Sitka, Alaska.
I never realised there was a Mount Edgcumbe in Alaska. The original is an old country mansion in western England, which had a Lord living there, the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe. Now he had a steam railway locomotive named after him, one of the last ones, which I have a childhood recollection of seeing it at our town's station with his grand name on a huge highly polished brass plate. Most locomotive names were shorter, on smaller plates, so this one was distinctive. Now it was one of the few kept running after steam trains finished in the UK, it's still around at a museum and comes out occasionally for a good run. I've not seen it since those times long ago, but it seems it's still in good hands. Details here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_40...Mount_Edgcumbe
Old Jul 31, 2020, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
5. (1990) Imagine yourself flying into Las Vegas while seated in First Class aboard a four engine jet. There are only two aircraft that fit the bill- each of them operated by different airlines. Please identify each aircraft type and the airline that operates it.

MGM Grand Air, DC-8-62
Old Aug 1, 2020, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
5. (1990) Imagine yourself flying into Las Vegas while seated in First Class aboard a four engine jet. There are only two aircraft that fit the bill- each of them operated by different airlines. Please identify each aircraft type and the airline that operates it.

MGM Grand Air, DC-8-62

Oh my - that really is First Class! But alas, not in 1990. We're looking for a different airline and equipment type - one not built in California...
Old Aug 1, 2020, 4:16 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador

Let me try with Tower Air. This is my 3rd Tower Air attempt on this forum (and so far I was always wrong ). But after the Iraqi invasion on Kuwait, Tower had limited options to serve TLV, so maybe they were looking for additional revenue streams? They did not have F - only C and were using only B747-300's built in WA. Third time lucky
Old Aug 1, 2020, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM

The BA DC-10 fleet were principally from the British Caledonian takeover. They surprisingly were well received by an airline which had hitherto preferred the Tristar, and lasted in BA service longer than they had served with B Cal. All were series 30.

The -30 centreline gear was actually optional, and some carriers with medium-range routes actually removed and reinstalled it, with a lesser MTOW, to gain the advantage of both lesser weight and lesser landing fees where these are based on MTOW. There were even accounts of a carrier or two leasing the removed centre gear out to other carriers who had sent theirs off for overhaul. It could also be raised and lowered independently if required, I don't know the mechanical details of why you might choose not to lower it but apparently it did sometimes happen, for some reason, and I just searched and found a discussion about it here https://community.infiniteflight.com...witch/116722/9
One learns something new just about each and every day.....and I was not aware of these details concerning the centreline gear on the DC-10-30 (and I would assume on the DC-10-40 as well). It also answers a question I had about the DC-10-30 aircraft operated by the Tanker 10 folks for aerial firefighting. As you can see below, the firefighting tank is slung underneath the fuselage and thus the centreline gear cannot be used. That's actually a three tank system under the airplane with 2,700 gallon, 4,000 gallon and 2,700 gallon capacities. Tanker 10 currently operates four DC-10-30 aerial firefighting air tankers.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/10-T...-30-ER/5259921
Old Aug 1, 2020, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

1. (1990) The last time you flew from Phoenix down to Mazatlan, it was aboard a multi-stop Aeronaves de Mexico DC-9. These days that airline is called AeroMexico and it no longer serves Phoenix. On a positive note, a different airline is now offering thrice weekly nonstop service down to MZT. Que Bueno! You call and book a couple of seats for the Saturday departure. What airline and aircraft will you be flying upon?

26. (1979) Now you’re in Denver and you need to get to Baltimore. You’ve got a sheaf of paperwork to go over before you get to Baltimore, so the three stop flight you’ve booked will allow you to get plenty of work done. Identify the airline, the three stops in order and the aircraft type.
1. My first inclination was this service was operated by Alaska Airlines with an MD-80. However, I seem to recall that Delta actually operated some limited nonstop service from Phoenix down to Mexico....which did not make a lot of sense unless these flights originated at their Salt Lake City hub which I believe they did with PHX being an intermediate stop. So let's go with Delta operating a B737-200.

26. This sure sounds like an interesting route operated by Ozark being Denver - Sioux City - Peoria - Champaign - Baltimore with OZ flying a DC9-10 on the service.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
1. (1990) The last time you flew from Phoenix down to Mazatlan, it was aboard a multi-stop Aeronaves de Mexico DC-9. These days that airline is called AeroMexico and it no longer serves Phoenix. On a positive note, a different airline is now offering thrice weekly nonstop service down to MZT. Que Bueno! You call and book a couple of seats for the Saturday departure. What airline and aircraft will you be flying upon?
Originally Posted by jlemon
1. My first inclination was this service was operated by Alaska Airlines with an MD-80. However, ... let's go with Delta operating a B737-200.
1- well, as much as I had a similar first thought, I think it'll still be a DC9 ... Aero California, with a Series 10

4. (1970) Your University of Syracuse Orangemen are playing the University of Miami Hurricanes this weekend. You love a good football game almost as much as you love the sunshine, beaches and bronze skinned girls down in South Florida. A call to your travel agent reveals a single nonstop flight operating between Syracuse and Miami each day. Book it, please. Name the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.
4- gotta think this would have been Eastern, most likely with a 727-200

BONUS SYR-MIA QUESTION -- On a cold and windy Saturday morning in early December 1972, the equipment managers of the Cornell men's soccer team helped the university grounds crew scrape almost four inches of overnight snow off the frozen PolyTurf playing surface; about two hours later, the Big Red had defeated Harvard 2-0 to secure a spot in the NCAA semi-finals.

Allegheny of course had only limited service out of ITH (something like 2x Convair 580 to ELM/DCA, 1x CV5 to ELM/PHL, 3x CV5 and 1x BAC 1-11 to UCA/LGA, and 1x BAC to ELM/PIT), and the traveling party numbered close to 30 -- maybe 23 players, the head coach and two assistants, the trainer, the two equipment managers, and a reporter/photographer one from the campus paper). As a result, we flew out of SYR: late morning departure, interline connection of approximately 2 hours, and arrival around 5pm. What were the two airlines, the two jet types, and the connecting airport?
Old Aug 1, 2020, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by TPJ

Let me try with Tower Air. This is my 3rd Tower Air attempt on this forum (and so far I was always wrong ). But after the Iraqi invasion on Kuwait, Tower had limited options to serve TLV, so maybe they were looking for additional revenue streams? They did not have F - only C and were using only B747-300's built in WA. Third time lucky

Not a bad guess, TPJ, but no - it wasn't Tower (which as you've mentioned didn't have a proper First Class cabin - only business Class)

The airplane we're looking for was not built in California or Washington...

Please guess again!
Old Aug 1, 2020, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My first inclination was this service was operated by Alaska Airlines with an MD-80. However, I seem to recall that Delta actually operated some limited nonstop service from Phoenix down to Mexico....which did not make a lot of sense unless these flights originated at their Salt Lake City hub which I believe they did with PHX being an intermediate stop. So let's go with Delta operating a B737-200.

Correct! Back in 1990, Delta actually had fairly decent First Class service as well. I was fortunate to log a few flights on an ID90 and remember trolley service and hors d'oeuvres on my SEA-ANC flight. Here's the Mexico schedule...

Delta DL 254 Phoenix (PHX) 1051a-1250p L Mazatlan (MZT) 737-200 Mo Th Fr

26. (1979) Now you’re in Denver and you need to get to Baltimore. You’ve got a sheaf of paperwork to go over before you get to Baltimore, so the three stop flight you’ve booked will allow you to get plenty of work done. Identify the airline, the three stops in order and the aircraft type.

This sure sounds like an interesting route operated by Ozark being Denver - Sioux City - Peoria - Champaign - Baltimore with OZ flying a DC9-10 on the service.

Yep, that's the one. Here's the schedule...

Ozark OZ 528 Denver (DEN) 925a-1139a S Sioux City (SUX) 1158a-1253p Peoria (PIA) 110p-134p Champaign (CMI) 155p-425p Baltimore (BAL) DC-9-10 Daily
Old Aug 1, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

Well, as much as I had a similar first thought, I think it'll still be a DC9 ... Aero California, with a Series 10

Please see jlemon's response above. Additionally, did Aero California ever actually fly into Phoenix? I remember them flying into SAN and LAX, but that's it. My lone experience with Aero California was back in 1994 aboard a colorful little DC-9-10 flying Tijuana-Loreto-Mazatlan-Mexico City. We were served a decent hot meal and drinks were served from the trolley, poured to taste from 750ml bottles.

4. (1970) Your University of Syracuse Orangemen are playing the University of Miami Hurricanes this weekend. You love a good football game almost as much as you love the sunshine, beaches and bronze skinned girls down in South Florida. A call to your travel agent reveals a single nonstop flight operating between Syracuse and Miami each day. Book it, please. Name the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

Gotta think this would have been Eastern, most likely with a 727-200

A lot of the upstate New York to Florida market was United territory but in this instance, Eastern was offering the only nonstop out of SYR. The aircraft however was a 727-100

Eastern EA 177 Syracuse (SYR) 1225p-311p L Miami (MIA) 727-100 Daily
Old Aug 1, 2020, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aero California did serve Phoenix at one point with its DC9-10 aircraft. During the late 1980's I believe this Mexican air carrier was operating nonstop service from PHX to Loreto and Los Cabos in Baja California. In addition, Aero California was operating nonstop DC9 service from Tucson to Los Cabos back at this same time. I also recall that some of their DC9 aircraft were not in very good shape.

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 1, 2020 at 4:00 pm Reason: added TUS comment
Old Aug 1, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA
... details concerning the centreline gear on the DC-10-30 (and I would assume on the DC-10-40 as well).
The DC-10-40 even more so. Japan Air Lines had 20 of them, divided into two fleets, domestic configuration (with no centre gear) and international (full gear). They used to rotate the aircraft between the two setups long term, probably changing them over at major check time, to even out cycles and hours.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Aero California did serve Phoenix at one point with its DC9-10 aircraft. During the late 1980's ...
and from MZT in early 1991
Old Aug 1, 2020, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Interesting stuff on AeroCal. The DC-9 I flew on looked very nice inside and out. That said, looks can be deceiving... Thankfully everything about my flight went well.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

The airplane we're looking for was not built in California or Washington...
Rules out any U.S.-made aircraft. Not an Airbus or probably Russian a/c. Not a VC-10 or Comet, so a probably BAe 146. ~3 U.S. airlines but have no idea how the cabins were configured. I'll start by guessing an AL (USAir / ex-PS) a/c.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.