Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2020, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
Bonus Question 23B: Identify two more airlines that served Pueblo (PUB) with jet equipment. Identify the airlines and the jet equipment type.

Funny how one remembers things....especially when one was collecting out of date OAGs back in the early 1970's. One of the airlines that operated jet service into Pueblo was the original Frontier and not only with the B737-200 but with the B727-200 as well. I also seem to recall that the first flight of the day from PUB to DEN was operated by FL with a 72S at one point. In addition, I believe Frontier was the first air carrier to operate mainline jet equipment into Pueblo. Now the other air carrier I'm not so sure about....but let's go with Allegiant and the MD-80.

Frontier with the 73S for sure, JL. On Allegiant however, no - perhaps because they served COS just 37.8 miles to the north. So, we're looking for just one more airline - one that with its flight into PUB was the subject of an OTAQ&D question a few years ago...

24. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, what was Northwest Orient’s longest nonstop domestic flight? What kind of aircraft did it employ?

And the memories continue....back in the early 1970's I remember walking around Chicago O'Hare while waiting for my Braniff International flight departing to Dallas via Kansas City, Wichita and Oklahoma City operated with a BAC One-Eleven. I passed by a Northwest Orient gate and noticed the NW flight would be departing nonstop to Anchorage. And I seem to recall the aircraft was a Boeing 707-320.

Great memories there, JL. Unfortunately, you apparently didn't pass by the gate being utilized for NW's longest domestic flight. Please, guess again!
Old Jul 28, 2020, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
2. (1985) You still can’t believe it! Your wife won a five day vacation on St. Thomas as a contestant on The Price is Right. She’s still swooning over having been hugged by Bob Barker! From your home in Cincinnati, the flight you’ve been assigned is a two-stop direct flight that’ll put you on St. Thomas in the mid-afternoon. Perfect! Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type.

Not confusing at all ... Air Florida had both types, but after they folded in 1984 Midway had picked up their operations ... the question explicitly refers to 1985 (the routing through the namesake hub rather than ORD should also be a giveaway )

Ah - my bad. So then, Midway and a 737-200 routing CVG-MDW-MIA-STT is correct! Here's the schedule:

Midway Airlines ML 511 Cincinnati (CVG) 800a-800a Chicago (MDW) 830a-1225p S Miami (MIA) 100p-335p St. Thomas (STT) 737-200 Daily

9. (1985) You’ve found a great opportunity to fly from Seattle to Las Vegas aboard a pair of baby DC-9s – the -14 models – each of which is operated by a different airline. You’ll have an hour and fifteen minutes at the connection point, well within minimum guidelines. Identify each airline as well as the connection point.

Hard pass ... I'm guessing the jets were leased, but haven't a clue as to the lessor

This is one that at this point I don't think anyone would fault you if you did any investigations outside of your personal recollections. The leased aircraft I flew upon was #4 off the assembly line

on to today's effort:

6. (1979) Over the years, only one airline has ever offered jet service into Cleveland’s Burke Lakefront Airport. So far as I know, that service was to to and from just one other airport. Identify the airline, the airport served from BKL and the aircraft type utilized for these flights.

Coincidentally, this was also Midway operating to the eponymous hub, but with a DC-9-10

That would be correct! Midway operated 5 mostly daily flights into MDW

35. (1985) Who’d have thought there’d ever be a direct flight from Omaha, NE to West Palm Beach, FL? Not you! For years your visits to your wife’s retired in-laws have always involved a connection somewhere. The tune “Happy Days are Here Again” dances through your head as you book a couple of seats and then call to inform your wife of the good news. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type.

Let's start the conversation with a TWA 727-200 via St Louis (STL) and Fort Lauderdale (FLL)

I'm going to employ one of your recommended techniques here and say "A portion of your answer is correct" and it's not the aircraft type I reckon you'll knock this one out of the park with your next response...
Old Jul 28, 2020, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
18. (1989) Per schedulesin the 1989 North American OAG I used to reference this question, Honolulu is well served by DC-10s and L-1011s. Each aircraft type is operated by five different airlines. Identify the five airlines operating each aircraft type.

DC10

United Correct
American Correct
Continental Correct
Aloha Incorrect
Canadian Correct

L1011
Pan Am Incorrect
Delta Correct
United Incorrect
Air Canada Incorrect
TWA Correct

Missing DC-10 operator
Northwest Correct

L-1011
Hawaiian Correct
ATA / American Trans Correct
Eastern Incorrect

Way to knock off three more here, YVR. The missing L-1011 operator was a short lived operation that utilized an all-economy class configuration...
Old Jul 28, 2020, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
13. (1988) It seems like only yesterday that if you wanted to fly between Ontario and Sacramento, you called Air California or Western. Now both airlines are gone and two other airlines provide eight mostly daily flights between them – one with five and the other with three. Identify these two airlines and match them to their flight totals.
It's not WN or US. One of the airlines is United w/ 3 daily flights

The other carrier must be AA then.

You got it, Herb! AA no doubt continued these flights off its acquisition of Air Cal and offered five mostly daily flights.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
3. (1995) Whoa! You don’t see this every day! What’s got four engines and flies in once weekly (with passengers) to Santo Domingo from Curacao?
Maybe a KLM 747 combi?
Old Jul 28, 2020, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
35. (1985) Who’d have thought there’d ever be a direct flight from Omaha, NE to West Palm Beach, FL? Not you! For years your visits to your wife’s retired in-laws have always involved a connection somewhere. The tune “Happy Days are Here Again” dances through your head as you book a couple of seats and then call to inform your wife of the good news. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type.

Let's start the conversation with a TWA 727-200 via St Louis (STL) and Fort Lauderdale (FLL)

I'm going to employ one of your recommended techniques here and say "A portion of your answer is correct" and it's not the aircraft type I reckon you'll knock this one out of the park with your next response...
35-
if the aircraft type is incorrect, that means that there is at least one correct item among the airline and the two stops; presuming I have the correct airline certainly implies that the first stop is also correct, but that's not necessarily a given ... I flew TW into PBI from Tampa/TPA in 1983 (the entire trip was SEA-STL-TPA-PBI), and I'm fairly certain that they were still operating that cross-state route a couple years later

that said, though, I'll attempt the simple tap-in and guess that the flight in question indeed operated OMA-STL-FLL-PBI with a MadDog (MD-80)

9- SEA-XXX-LAS, 1985, a pair of DC-9-10s and a pair of operators, one of which was Sunworld and the other was not Republic or Horizon
as far as other JW services from LAS, we have Reno/RNO, Oakland/OAK, and San Jose/SJC ...
This is one that at this point I don't think anyone would fault you if you did any investigations outside of your personal recollections. The leased aircraft I flew upon was #4 off the assembly line
9- I have done a fair bit of external research and drawn principally blanks, so here's a super-wild guess ... Great American over RNO

Last edited by jrl767; Jul 28, 2020 at 4:43 pm
Old Jul 28, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA
You are correct on almost all counts, Sir! There is one surprising exception plus a couple of others - not errors of omission but mostly of addition. The one standout to me would be Bahamas Airways. One of the reasons I employ the verbiage "Based upon schedules reflected in the XXXX OAG I used to reference these questions" is that sometimes the correct response might depend upon the time of year. The OAG I used to reference this question is from fairly late in the year and does not include any schedules from Bahamas Airways. Indeed, the only Bahamian outfit I came across was Out Island Airways (which did operate the 111 at some point but not per any schedules I have) and Bahamas to Miami schedules were operates by PA, EA and BA. Additionally, I double checked on Lanica and TACSA into New Orleans out of Merida or Cancun but nothing.

North American OAGs used to include Central American airports as far down as Panama City, but by 1970 that was no longer the practice. LACSA does show up operating out of the Caymans into Miami and I've no doubt Lanica and TACSA birds were also spotted on North American soil, though their flights likely originated from Central American airports at the time of my OAG's validity.

Finally, since your answer included operators from outside the US and Canada, there is one that got away. That would be LIAT although the schedules only indicated "JET" for its operations.
I've had a look, Bahamas Airways seems to have gone out of business on 9 October 1970, and the One-Elevens, all leased from UK airlines, were repossessed. Probably didn't make the November issue; is yours December ?

For us simple geographical souls who think that North American is the antonym of South American, it is just one of those things that OAG draws the line between Mexico and Guatemala. The ABC was more straightforward, the equivalent two big volumes were A-L and M-Z.

According to my Informed Sources the first LIAT One-Eleven didn't arrive until the end of the following year; ironically their longserving two were the same two principal ones from Bahamas Airways, which had been back with owner Court Line at London Luton in the meantime, I wonder what their "jet" was, possibly a shared BWIA 727.

http://www.bac1-11jet.co.uk/bac1-11j...0caribbean.htm
Old Jul 28, 2020, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
3. (1995) Whoa! You don’t see this every day! What’s got four engines and flies in once weekly (with passengers) to Santo Domingo from Curacao?

Maybe a KLM 747 combi?

Not a bad guess, Herb - especially given the origin at Curacao. However, were looking for something smaller and older. Please, guess again!
Old Jul 28, 2020, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If the aircraft type is incorrect, that means that there is at least one correct item among the airline and the two stops; presuming I have the correct airline certainly implies that the first stop is also correct, but that's not necessarily a given ... I flew TW into PBI from Tampa/TPA in 1983 (the entire trip was SEA-STL-TPA-PBI), and I'm fairly certain that they were still operating that cross-state route a couple years later. That said, though, I'll attempt the simple tap-in and guess that the flight in question indeed operated OMA-STL-FLL-PBI with a MadDog (MD-80)

Let's move things along here and acknowledge that one of your stops is correct (STL) but the airline, aircraft type and second stop still need to be correctly addressed. Good luck, J!9. (1985) You’ve found a great opportunity to fly from Seattle to Las Vegas aboard a pair of baby DC-9s – the -14 models – each of which is operated by a different airline. You’ll have an hour and fifteen minutes at the connection point, well within minimum guidelines. Identify each airline as well as the connection point.
SEA-XXX-LAS, 1985, a pair of DC-9-10s and a pair of operators, one of which was Sunworld and the other was not Republic or Horizon. I have done a fair bit of external research and drawn principally blanks, so here's a super-wild guess ... Great American over RNO

Reno is correct as the connecting city. As for the aircraft in question, its operator prior to the airline we're looking for was British Midland. After use for the airline we're looking for, it went on to Midwest Express.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
I've had a look, Bahamas Airways seems to have gone out of business on 9 October 1970, and the One-Elevens, all leased from UK airlines, were repossessed. Probably didn't make the November issue; is yours December ?

For us simple geographical souls who think that North American is the antonym of South American, it is just one of those things that OAG draws the line between Mexico and Guatemala. The ABC was more straightforward, the equivalent two big volumes were A-L and M-Z.

According to my Informed Sources the first LIAT One-Eleven didn't arrive until the end of the following year; ironically their longserving two were the same two principal ones from Bahamas Airways, which had been back with owner Court Line at London Luton in the meantime, I wonder what their "jet" was, possibly a shared BWIA 727.

MEXICO BERMUDA & THE CARIBBEAN
WHBM, the OAG I employed was from November 15th. It was one of the very first ones I acquired off eBay many years ago and is a joy to peruse what with all of the "exotic" schedules involving One-Elevens, 880s, Martin 404s and the like.

So far as I know, Central America is actually part of North America so I'm not sure why the folks that published the OAG chose to exclude it.

As to LIAT employing the term "JET" on it's schedules - I made the assumption that it was a BAC-111 as I was unaware LIAT had ever operated any other type. That said, from where I sit, to dare even question your "wondering" if it might have been a shared BWIA 727 would be akin to tugging on Superman's cape so I will defer to your insight on this with thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2020, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
35. one of your stops is correct (STL) but the airline, aircraft type and second stop still need to be correctly addressed.
35- that would pretty much limit the guess to a green-and-white DC-9-30 with three stylized swallows on the tail ... I obliquely mentioned Tampa/TPA as a potential TW stop but didn't officially guess it, so let's remedy that situation (Ozark; OMA-STL-TPA-PBI)
Old Jul 28, 2020, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That would pretty much limit the guess to a green-and-white DC-9-30 with three stylized swallows on the tail ... I obliquely mentioned Tampa/TPA as a potential TW stop but didn't officially guess it, so let's remedy that situation (Ozark; OMA-STL-TPA-PBI)

So far so good - except for Tampa. Pick a different city...
Old Jul 28, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am

Maybe a KLM 747 combi?

Not a bad guess, Herb - especially given the origin at Curacao. However, were looking for something smaller and older. Please, guess again!
Smaller and older, eh? Well I don't know what airline it would be but I will guess a de Havilland Heron this time.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seat 2A’s preferences notwithstanding, this is a situation where, in the interest of getting to the actual result without an excessive number of serve-and-volley exchanges, it’s **EXTREMELY** tempting to multi-guess

:/ so here we go

we know FLL and TPA are both out ... to my mind, there are four other candidates; I’m thinking OZ favored tagging a mid-size destination like PBI onto a smaller first stop, so I’ll offer Fort Myers (FMY) with Sarasota/Bradenton (SRQ) as a backup
Old Jul 28, 2020, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Re. Question 35: We know FLL and TPA are both out ... to my mind, there are four other candidates; I’m thinking OZ favored tagging a mid-size destination like PBI onto a smaller first stop, so I’ll offer Fort Myers (FMY) with Sarasota/Bradenton (SRQ) as a backup

Now you're talkin' - er - guessin' as the case may be. Here's theh schedule:

Ozark OZ 681 Omaha (OMA) 1212p-115p S St. Louis (STL) 220p-541p S Ft. Myers (RSW) 610p-639p West Palm Beach (PBI) DC-9-30 Daily

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.