Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2020, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
30. (1990) “Whaaaat?! You’re tellin’ me that all of Northwest’s flights between Kansas City and Minneapolis are sold out today? Even in First Class?!” Identify the mystery airline and the aircraft type it operated from MCI up to MSP.

MCI-MSP, 1990: do we have yet another instance of a reincarnation of Braniff ... perhaps operating a 727-200 ?

Good guess - this is after all an historic Braniff route. But NO! It's not Braniff though the aircraft is a 727-200
Old Jun 4, 2020, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

Back in the late '90s, PR was serving the NYC market from EWR with a M11 routing MNL<=>YVR<=>EWR (and IIRC got banned by the FAA sometime after this). BR was pretty much regional carriers then and I don't think either operated 742s (and neither did my previous guess of CA who only appeared to have operated -200s in the -200F flavour). I always thought SQ served NYC either non-stop SIN to/from EWR (345 and now A350?) or with 744s through Europe, and I am sure SQ would not have operated 742s in 1995. Don't think it was TG (used 345s later) (or MH or GA which I don't recall going to NYC). CX (ruled out) I know either operated to NYC (JFK specifically either with 744s (and later 77Ws) via YVR or N/S with 77Ws.

Doesn't leave too many choices. I will submit Asiana (OZ) though I don't think it ever operated 742s.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
10. (1985) You were going to make a road trip of it and drive from your home in Sparks, NV to Albuquerque NM but alas, a late spring blizzard has made getting out of the Reno area an unsafe proposition. A quick check of the schedules shows a single daily direct flight from Reno to Albuquerque that makes two stops but will get you into ABQ in perfect time to have lunch with your beloved Abuela at the El Pinto Restaurant and Cantina, home to the best New Mexican cuisine in the Rio Grande Valley. When your mouth stops watering, go ahead and identify the airline, aircraft and the two stops in order.
10- I have zero expectation that this is correct, but that's half the fun of the Quiz ... PSA, MD-80, San Jose (SJC) and Los Angeles (LAX)
Old Jun 5, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
23. (1995) One of the benefits or working the late night shift at Anchorage International is a chance to see some of the 747s that still stop at ANC for refueling. Gone are those halcyon days when all of the European airlines stopped in ANC to refuel on their flights to the Orient. That all disappeared with the advent of longer range 747-400s combined with Russia opening its skies to flyover traffic. European passenger airliners no longer stopover in Anchorage, but three Asian airlines – each of which still utilize the older 747-200 model – come calling in the early morning hours. Each of these flights originate in New York. Identify the three airlines we’re looking for. By the way, you guys are all so good that I’m going to make this one a little more difficult. If one of the airlines you’ve submitted is incorrect, I won’t say which ones are right or wrong – just that one or more are incorrect. Good Luck!

Back in the late '90s, PR was serving the NYC market from EWR with a M11 routing MNL<=>YVR<=>EWR (and IIRC got banned by the FAA sometime after this). BR was pretty much regional carriers then and I don't think either operated 742s (and neither did my previous guess of CA who only appeared to have operated -200s in the -200F flavour). I always thought SQ served NYC either non-stop SIN to/from EWR (345 and now A350?) or with 744s through Europe, and I am sure SQ would not have operated 742s in 1995. Don't think it was TG (used 345s later) (or MH or GA which I don't recall going to NYC). CX (ruled out) I know either operated to NYC (JFK specifically either with 744s (and later 77Ws) via YVR or N/S with 77Ws.

Doesn't leave too many choices.
I will submit Asiana (OZ) though I don't think it ever operated 742s

Asiana is the one I was looking for, YVR Also, I stand corrected as to OZ operating a 747-200. Looking back at the OAG I referenced for this question, the equipment for the OZ flight is designated "747" and I made the assumption in error that it was a 747-200. So, thank you for making that known. For the record, OZ has operated 18 747s over its existence - all of them the -400 variant.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

10. (1985) You were going to make a road trip of it and drive from your home in Sparks, NV to Albuquerque NM but alas, a late spring blizzard has made getting out of the Reno area an unsafe proposition. A quick check of the schedules shows a single daily direct flight from Reno to Albuquerque that makes two stops but will get you into ABQ in perfect time to have lunch with your beloved Abuela at the El Pinto Restaurant and Cantina, home to the best New Mexican cuisine in the Rio Grande Valley. When your mouth stops watering, go ahead and identify the airline, aircraft and the two stops in order.

I have zero expectation that this is correct, but that's half the fun of the Quiz ... PSA, MD-80, San Jose (SJC) and Los Angeles (LAX)

Well, you're right - it isn't PSA but I nonetheless admire your willingness to wade in and take a swing. It's worth noting that this flight did route through Los Angeles. I see a home run in your future on this one. Keep in mind we're also looking for an aircraft type.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here are a few more schedule based questions for your consideration. All schedules are from North American OAGs. As always, please limit your response to no more than two questions per day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers here. Thanks!

1. (1990) It’s been a great week of sun and fun in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina but now it’s time to return home to Rhode Island. You drove your sister’s car down from Providence but will be flying back home. Surely this will involve a connection somewhere. Imagine then your surprise and delight to learn that one airline offers a direct one stop flight from MYR back to Providence. Right on! Airline, aircraft and enroute stop please.
A N S W E R E D

2. (1985) Imagine yourself comfortably ensconced in a window seat and enjoying a delicious hot dinner while flying high above Vermont’s Green Mountains aboard a Hawker Siddeley HS748. What airline and route are you flying? (Direction does not matter as dinner is also served on the 748 flight operating in the opposite direction as well)

3. (1995) Per schedules reflected in the OAG I’ve employed to reference this question, I’ve found four airlines that operate Lockheed L-1011s in the Caribbean. Can you identify each of these four airlines? By the way, you guys are all so knowledgeable about this stuff that I’m going to make this one a little more difficult. If one of the airlines you’ve submitted is incorrect, I won’t say which one(s) are right or wrong – just that one or more are incorrect. You have to determine which one. Good Luck! BTW, Eastern was no more per these schedules.
BW, DL & TW identified so far... The other airline is not from the U.S.

5. (1990) Canada is becoming a very attractive place to make movies. As president of the BC Film Commission, you’re flying down to California to meet with the head of Warner Brothers regarding an upcoming movie starring Harrison Ford and Annette Bening. Two airlines offer direct flights between Vancouver and Burbank – one making two stops and the other with just a single stop. You book a First Class seat aboard the one stopper. Identify the airline, aircraft and the enroute stop.

8. (1988) You live in Buffalo, NY and need to arrange a flight for your elderly parents to come up and visit from their home in St. Petersburg, Florida. Your travel agent calls back with good news that there’s a direct one-stop flight to Buffalo from St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport. Really! That’s only a mile from their home. Not having to head across the bay to Tampa International will be a big plus. Book it, please! Identify the airline, the aircraft and the single enroute stop.

9. (1990) By 1990 good milkruns are pretty much a thing of the past. Rather amazingly however, you’ve stumbled across a four stop doozie between Wilmington, NC and Boston, MA. So, after alighting from Amtrak’s Palmetto in nearby Fayetteville, NC, you catch a bus over to Wilmington and enjoy a couple of days fishing on the Carolina coast before catching your flight back up to Boston. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the four enroute stops.

A N S W E R E D

11. (1970) If ever there were a state made for intra-state milk-runs, Florida is it! To wit, you’ve booked a three stopper between Jacksonville and Miami. Identify the airline, aircraft and the three enroute stops in order.

13. (1990) As chair of the Paleontology Department at the University of Montana, you’ve been chosen to be the keynote speaker at the American Fossil Society’s convention in Portland, Oregon next month. Three airlines offer direct flights out of Missoula to Portland, but only one of those flights offers First Class, albeit with two intermediate stops. Being as you stand 6’5” in your stocking feet, that’s the flight you want. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two enroute stops.

15. (1990) When business calls for a visit to your Vancouver, BC affiliate from your home office in Milwaukee, you usually expect to have a connection or two to deal with. Not any more, apparently. The company travel office has advised you that there’s now a direct two-stop flight departing Milwaukee each afternoon at 4:25pm. Right on! Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

17. (1990) The last time you had to fly between New Orleans and Miami was twenty years ago. Back then, National Airlines was the only way to go. Now, you’ve got a choice of four airlines. Identify each of those four airlines.
AA, CO & PA identified. Need one more. It's not DL or Carnival

19. (1988) You’ve had a great week of sailboarding around the Bahamas and now it’s time to return home to Nashville. Your trip out to Nassau involved a couple of connections, but on the way home you’ll be on a direct flight – albeit one that makes two enroute stops. That’s fine by you – there’ll be less chances to damage or lose your rad sailboard. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops in order please.

21. (1985) As an avid Green Bay Packers fan, the thought of going to your obnoxious cousin’s wedding in Pittsburgh is not a pleasant one. Still, he is family even if he is an insufferable Steelers fan made worse by the fact that the Steelers have eaten the Packer’s lunch over the past 15 years. Sigh… You dutifully call the travel agency and take some solace in the fact that a one stop direct flight between Green Bay and Pittsburgh is available. Name the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.

22. (1990) What’s got two jet engines and represents the only type of air transport available between Midland/Odessa and Lubbock – albeit twice each day? Identify the airline and aircraft please.

25. (1979) You need to fly from Fairbanks, Alaska out to St. Paul Island, but were hoping to spend the night with old friends down in Anchorage before continuing on to St. Paul the next morning. As fate would have it, you’ve found the perfect schedule involving two airlines, both of which operate the same equipment. Identify the airlines and the equipment in question.

26. (2003) By 2003, the once ubiquitous 727 has become a rare bird over North American skies. Even so, you’ve managed to find a seat aboard one for next week’s trip from Detroit out to Las Vegas. Identify the airline and 727 variant you’ll be flying upon.
It's not Sun Country but it is a 727-200

27. (1990) It’s been said that you have to be from Bismarck, North Dakotato enjoy living there. You’re not from Bismarck, so when an opportunity comes up fly to Seattle to attend next weekend’s Pacific Northwest Dry Cleaner’s Symposeum, you break out in your Happy Dance. Now it used to be that if you wanted to fly from Bismarck to Seattle you were looking at four or five stops along the way. Not anymore. Now the only service to Seattle is via a single almost daily one-stop flight. Identify the airline, the single stop and the aircraft.

28. (1970) You’ve just completed the fall semester at Notre Dame University. Now you’re flying home to Chicago for Thanksgiving. Normally you fly on United but this time you’ll be flying home on a different airline. Identify the airline and the aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.

30. (1990) “Whaaaat?! You’re tellin’ me that all of Northwest’s flights between Kansas City and Minneapolis are sold out today? Even in First Class?!”

“I’m sorry, Sir” replied the agent with a half-hearted shrug. “There’s nothing until tomorrow afternoon”

Sigh… You should’ve known this might be the case when you decided to make a last minute trip to the Twin Cities to watch your Kansas City Chiefs take on the Minnesota Vikings in a rematch of Superbowl IV. Despite being in different conferences, quite a regional rivalry has built up between the two teams and this year your Chiefs were looking to even the series. As you sat in the airport bar pondering your options over an ice cold Boulevard Ale, you heard you name being paged over the airport PA system. It was the Northwest agent. After you’d left, he’d taken a moment between customers to check further and found that one other airline operated a single daily flight departing in an hour and twenty minutes. Who knew? Especially since Northwest had operated exclusively on the MCI-MSP market for some time now. The other airline had space in Coach though and operated out of Terminal A next door. You thanked the NW agent profusely and asked if he was a Vikings fan.

“Nah. Gophers, ya know”

“Gophers! Yaaah… oh sure, you betcha! Go Gophers!”

Identify the mystery airline and the aircraft type it operated up to MSP.
It's not Midwest Express or Braniff. It is a 727-200

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 6, 2020 at 6:52 pm
Old Jun 5, 2020, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
10- I have zero expectation that this is correct, but that's half the fun of the Quiz ... PSA, MD-80, San Jose (SJC) and Los Angeles (LAX)
Well, you're right - it isn't PSA but I nonetheless admire your willingness to wade in and take a swing. It's worth noting that this flight did route through Los Angeles. I see a home run in your future on this one. Keep in mind we're also looking for an aircraft type.
10- harumph -- what's "MD-80" if not an aircraft type

next guess: Western, with a 737-200 that made its initial stop at Sacramento/SMF
Old Jun 5, 2020, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. (1990) It’s been a great week of sun and fun in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina but now it’s time to return home to Rhode Island. You drove your sister’s car down from Providence but will be flying back home. Surely this will involve a connection somewhere. Imagine then your surprise and delight to learn that one airline offers a direct one stop flight from MYR back to Providence. Right on! Airline, aircraft and enroute stop please.
1- I'm in about the same state of mind for this one as for the recent ISP-HSV question ... based on hubs in the mid-Atlantic region, there are three solid possibilities for the airline, and it's a pretty safe bet that we can eliminate United and IAD as redundant to the other answer ... how about USAir, operating a 737-300 via ... hmmmmmm, actually three options here as well; let's stick with the legacy PI hub at Charlotte/CLT
Old Jun 5, 2020, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
26. (2003) By 2003, the once ubiquitous 727 has become a rare bird over North American skies. Even so, you’ve managed to find a seat aboard one for next week’s trip from Detroit out to Las Vegas. Identify the airline and 727 variant you’ll be flying upon.
It's not Sun Country
And my previous guess of a 727-200 wasn't ruled correct so that must indicate it was a 727-100. My crazy new guess is UPS operating a 727QC with the Rolls-Royce Tay engine conversion.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
17. (1990) The last time you had to fly between New Orleans and Miami was twenty years ago. Back then, National Airlines was the only way to go. Now, you’ve got a choice of four airlines. Identify each of those four airlines.

Additional airline: Carnival
Old Jun 6, 2020, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Harumph -- what's "MD-80" if not an aircraft type

Right you are - Somehow it just melted into your prose, like "Where's Waldo"

Next guess: Western, with a 737-200 that made its initial stop at Sacramento/SMF

Now we're cookin'. Western and the 737-200 are correct! However, Sacramento was not the initial stop. Tap in on home, J -

I'm in about the same state of mind for this one as for the recent ISP-HSV question ... based on hubs in the mid-Atlantic region, there are three solid possibilities for the airline, and it's a pretty safe bet that we can eliminate United and IAD as redundant to the other answer ... how about USAir, operating a 737-300 via ... hmmmmmm, actually three options here as well; let's stick with the legacy PI hub at Charlotte/CLT

A most reasonable guess, but alas - it won't work for this particular scenario. We're looking for a different airline operating different equipment along a different route.

Please - guess again!
Old Jun 6, 2020, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
It's not Sun Country

And my previous guess of a 727-200 wasn't ruled correct so that must indicate it was a 727-100. My crazy new guess is UPS operating a 727QC with the Rolls-Royce Tay engine conversion.

Herb, I owe you an apology, especially as it's resulted in your wasted response thinking it might be a -100. The aircraft of record is indeed a 727-200. Additionally, the airline used to operate Vegas charters for a large Denver based tour company so I was surprised to see them listed as operating scheduled flights out of DTW. Anyway, here's hoping that this additional bit of information might help a bit - at least toward discounting any of the majors. Better luck with your next response

P.S. Did UPS actually operate any scheduled flights with its TAY powered 727s?
Old Jun 6, 2020, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf

Additional airline: Carnival

Nope - it wasn't Carnival. To be honest, I was a bit surprised to see this airline operating this route as it's a bit off its historic route map. It was an airline that operated more than two types of jets...
Old Jun 6, 2020, 2:31 am

UPS Passenger Operations 1997-2001

I noticed this short 3 minute video which shows the work involved converting a 727 from freight to passenger.
The whole process took around 4 hours.

The comments tell that the UPS charter flights were mainly for cruise ship passengers, sporting events etc.
Apple Vacations gets a mention as being one of their customers.

KT
Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Good Morning All!

Currently sitting in the departure area at the Asheville Regional Airport in the beautiful mountain country of North Carolina preparing to head home to LFT via AA and connections at CLT and DFW. And it’s been an interesting week: Last Monday I departed from Shell Beach, CA behind the wheel of a brand new Honda Passport Elite AWD SUV with my friends from Shell Beach bound for Asheville, their new home. We arrived here yesterday after yours truly drove 2,514 miles via San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, Bakersfield, Barstow, Needles, Kingman, Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Amarillo, Oklahoma City, Fort Smith, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville and Knoxville. I was also towing a large, fully loaded and thus very heavy U-haul trailer which had the habit of fish tailing from side to side at speeds above 65 mph. So it was life in the slow lane, mostly via Interstate 40, across the country. I’m glad we made it safely as several times I thought that trailer was going to kill us as the SUV was descending and picking up speed on downgrades. The trailer also had a tendency to start fish tailing on rough pavement which can be found quite often on I-40. I could not use the cruise control while pulling the trailer and had to be very vigilant most of the time during this long trip in order to maintain control. But we made it!

Meantime, AVL is an interesting little airport with one runway located in a valley. Besides AA, other airlines serving Asheville include DL, G4, NK, UA and 7Q. Back in the mid 70’s, AVL was served by Piedmont and United B737-200s as well as by Delta DC9-30s. Located very close to the airfield is the magnificent Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. operation featuring a cathedral-like restaurant/brewpub set in a beautiful forest environment. I highly recommend a visit to this establishment to include a brewery tour followed by lunch.

So I’m about to head home in F on board an AA Eagle CRJ900 followed by an AA A321 and then an AA Eagle CRJ900....and just in time as Tropical Storm Cristobal spins toward Louisiana.

Never a dull moment, folks! 😎
Seat 2A and strickerj like this.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 6, 2020 at 6:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.