Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jun 1, 2020, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
7. Based upon the visual clues in this photo, can you identify the aircraft and the airline that operates it?

BOAC and the VC10 are Correct! How did you know? Were you lucky enough to have once flown upon the VC10?

16. (1988) It used to be if you lived on the peninsula and wanted to fly from San Francisco to Indianapolis, youd call TWA. These days TWA doesnt even offer direct flights out of SFO to Indy. In fact, only one airline offers a single daily nonstop flight. Thats the one you want. Identify the airline and aircraft youll be flying upon.

USAir, Boeing 727-200

US Air is correct! However, we're looking for a different aircraft type. Tap it in, Mr. T!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 1, 2020 at 10:33 pm
Old Jun 1, 2020, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
7. Based upon the visual clues in this photo, can you identify the aircraft and the airline that operates it?

BOAC and the VC10 are Correct! How did you know? Were you lucky enough to have once flown upon the VC10?

16. (1988) It used to be if you lived on the peninsula and wanted to fly from San Francisco to Indianapolis, youd call TWA. These days TWA doesnt even offer direct flights out of SFO to Indy. In fact, only one airline offers a single daily nonstop flight. Thats the one you want. Identify the airline and aircraft youll be flying upon.

USAir, Boeing

New answers. Boeing 737-300. Probably like the ones that flew CMH-LAX and crashed on top of a smaller plane at LAX in the early 90's. US Airways used to have a small hub at IND. That terminal was recently demolished. The replacement terminal is at a different part of the airport and is big and splashy. The new terminal dates back about 10 years ago.

I am unlucky enough never to have flown aboard a VC-10, Caravelle, or Mercure. However, I've seen possibly two VC-10's before and looked inside a former Gulf Air VC-10 in a museum. The overhead compartments look familiar. I once had a theoretical chance of flying aboard a Dassault Mercure but never booked a flight. Darn. I even knew about the schedule and the possibility but didn't act on it.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
23. (1995) One of the benefits or working the late night shift at Anchorage International is a chance to see some of the 747s that still stop at ANC for refueling. Gone are those halcyon days when all of the European airlines stopped in ANC to refuel on their flights to the Orient. That all disappeared with the advent of longer range 747-400s combined with Russia opening its skies to flyover traffic. European passenger airliners no longer stopover in Anchorage, but three Asian airlines each of which still utilize the older 747-200 model come calling in the early morning hours. Each of these flights originate in New York. Identify the three airlines were looking for. By the way, you guys are all so good that Im going to make this one a little more difficult. If one of the airlines youve submitted is incorrect, I wont say which ones are right or wrong just that one or more are incorrect. Good Luck!

Korean Airlines Correct!
Japan Airlines Incorrect
China Airlines Correct!

Did you used to work at ANC, Mr. C? You're off to a great start! Just switch out JAL for ______________ and Bob's Your Uncle!
Old Jun 1, 2020, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
16. (1988) It used to be if you lived on the peninsula and wanted to fly from San Francisco to Indianapolis, you’d call TWA. These days TWA doesn’t even offer direct flights out of SFO to Indy. In fact, only one airline offers a single daily nonstop flight. That’s the one you want. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

USAir, Boeing 737-300

That's the ticket, Mr. T! Here's the schedule:

US Air AL 106 San Franciisco (SFO) 745a-148p B Indianapolis (IND) 737-300 Daily

I am unlucky enough never to have flown aboard a VC-10, Caravelle, or Mercure. However, I've seen possibly two VC-10's before and looked inside a former Gulf Air VC-10 in a museum. The overhead compartments look familiar. I once had a theoretical chance of flying aboard a Dassault Mercure but never booked a flight. Darn. I even knew about the schedule and the possibility but didn't act on it.

Yeah - life's too short to take a lot of these things for granted. I could've booked myself on a VC10 back in the ate 70s (BDA-NAS or NAS-MEX) but put it off and suddenly, the VC10 was relegated to museums.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 4:58 am

Programs: BA
For example, in one book I read that Japan Air Lines' first aircraft was a DC-4, but the JAL website plus a couple of other resources indicate it was a Martin 202.
The DC-4 was the first actual Japan Air Lines aircraft, secondhand from USAF. However, before this they had leased several Martin 2-0-2 run for them by US carrier Transocean, who in turn had leased them from Northwest, to operate their first services. So really, either answer is correct depending on the detail of the question.

For further example, the "last BEA Comet service" was 31 October 1971, G-APMA Malaga to London, and appropriately celebrated on arrival. But the BEA Comet fleet was then mostly transferred on to holiday flight subsidiary BEA Airtours at Gatwick, and in the winter they quite often came back to Heathrow and stood in on BEA schedules when there was an aircraft shortage. Same livery, just with the word "Airtours" placed after the BEA logo. They turned up in 1972 and into 1973 doing this. So which date does one give for a "last service" ?

Last edited by WHBM; Jun 2, 2020 at 6:57 am
Old Jun 2, 2020, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
more recent example -- Alaska announced that the last flight of their 737-400 would be on 4 Nov 2017, the Inside Passage milk run JNU-PSG-WRG-KNT-SEA ... it was a clear and beautiful day, so Mrs767 and I took the morning flight up to JNU, got a rental car, and drove around to see the glacier and downtown and a few other scenic areas before meeting up with Seat 2A for the southbound trip (he was of course in his namesake seat; we had 1D/1F)

when we disembarked at SEA we noticed that the sign behind the podium showed a flight to Sacramento leaving an hour or so later; the agent indicated the originally assigned jet was delayed inbound, so Ops and Dispatch had commandeered N767AS ... it returned to SEA the next morning on its actual last flight, but we were on the last one that anyone could have knowingly booked in advance as a -400

some of our photos in this and the next few posts (79-81) in the "Views From Above The Wing" thread on the Alaska Airlines board

Last edited by jrl767; Jun 2, 2020 at 4:54 pm Reason: add links to photos
Old Jun 2, 2020, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
12- I have to presume that the A320 is the correct aircraft since you didn't state otherwise ... not too many other Airbus operators in the US at that time, so how's this ... United, in competition with NW out of DTW on the long haul, operating a tag from SFO to ONT
Old Jun 2, 2020, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
12. (1989) Amazingly, five different airlines offer daily direct flights between Detroit Metro and Ontario International Airport in California. Ontario! Whats up with that? Anyway, only one of these airlines operates its flight with a foreign built aircraft. Identify that airline and the aircraft it flies on this route. Brownie points if you can name the single enroute stopover city.
I'm going to go with a very off the wall guess here and say TW with an MD-83 via STL.

As for the 747s from the non-coastal cities, I was surprised that longtime flight number UA1 ORD-HNL was not a 747 in 1989. To the correct guess of HP out of PHX, let me add:
LAS, also on HP
and DEN on CO (if I guess IAH does Houston count as a "coastal" city? )
Old Jun 2, 2020, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
I'm going to go with a very off the wall guess here and say TW with an MD-83 via STL.
to some folks, Long Beach might be considered "foreign"

Originally Posted by Herb687
As for the 747s from the non-coastal cities, I was surprised that longtime flight number UA1 ORD-HNL was not a 747 in 1989. To the correct guess of HP out of PHX, let me add:
LAS, also on HP
and DEN on CO (if I guess IAH does Houston count as a "coastal" city? )
look at the top of this post
Old Jun 2, 2020, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
4. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, there were four transcontinental routes flown with 747s. Identify those four routes and the airlines that flew them.
4- I think we may have had a similar question a few years back, but I'm going to skip using the "Search This Thread" function
IAD-LAX -- TWA and American
IAD-SFO -- United
JFK-LAX -- American, TWA, and United
BOS-LAX -- TWA
Old Jun 2, 2020, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by jrl767
to some folks, Long Beach might be considered "foreign"
Shanghai even more so!

Which raises an interesting question. Based on the flight log file I now keep in Excel, I flew on an AA (former TW) MD-80 that was assembled in China. I didn't know it at the time so I didn't think to take a close look at the safety card. Should the safety card have said "Final assembly of this aircraft was completed in China."? and did TW/AA (or DL who I believe has/had some China-assembled MD-90s) actually print a batch of correct safety cards for these specific airframes or did they skirt that law?
Old Jun 2, 2020, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well, you got me on that technicality! *totally* forgot about the co-production birds

that said, was it their entire fleet of MadDogs?

Last edited by jrl767; Jun 2, 2020 at 11:05 am
Old Jun 2, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
23. (1995) One of the benefits or working the late night shift at Anchorage International is a chance to see some of the 747s that still stop at ANC for refueling. Gone are those halcyon days when all of the European airlines stopped in ANC to refuel on their flights to the Orient. That all disappeared with the advent of longer range 747-400s combined with Russia opening its skies to flyover traffic. European passenger airliners no longer stopover in Anchorage, but three Asian airlines each of which still utilize the older 747-200 model come calling in the early morning hours. Each of these flights originate in New York. Identify the three airlines were looking for. By the way, you guys are all so good that Im going to make this one a little more difficult. If one of the airlines youve submitted is incorrect, I wont say which ones are right or wrong just that one or more are incorrect. Good Luck!

Korean Airlines Correct!
Japan Airlines Incorrect
China Airlines Correct!

Did you used to work at ANC, Mr. C? You're off to a great start! Just switch out JAL for ______________ and Bob's Your Uncle!
I thought no clues as to which one(s) are wrong. Anyway if it wasn't JAL it must have been All Nippon.

Have actually never even flow through ANC let alone set foot. Just 3 panhandle airports (+ 1 cruise ship stop on a TPAC at one of the airport's host "cities").
Old Jun 2, 2020, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
well, you got me on that technicality! *totally* forgot about the co-production birds

that said, was it their entire fleet of MadDogs?
No, just a few of them. Five I think? I'm guessing TW via STL is not the correct answer because obviously from day to day there wouldn't have been any guarantee of getting one of the rare Chinese MD-83s. Just thought I'd stir the pot a bit on the thread!

The safety card disclosure is an interesting question though.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

big discussion on the Delta board as they are retiring both the MD-88 and MD-90 from the fleet today

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.