Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2020, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Herb687
Time to start taking a swing at the first part of question 3 in the 1969 quiz.

Direct Flight 1: AA Convair 990 BNA-DAL-SAN-LAX
Direct Flight 2: AA 727 BNA-MEM-LIT-GSW-LAX

990 is incorrect; DAL is partially correct; SAN is incorrect
727 is correct; MEM and LIT are both correct; GSW is incorrect

Flight 1: DL DC9 TYS-CHA-ATL
Flight 2: DL DC8 ATL-LAX
CHA is correct
as far as the aircraft, both are incorrect, but it’s a tap-in ... you just needed to think a bit bigger — D9S and D8S respectively

the 1962 AA DC6 TCON question is still open; of the 12 stops on the westbound flight, we’re looking for the two besides TUS that were not made on the eastbound

Last edited by jrl767; May 30, 2020 at 5:05 pm
Old May 30, 2020, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Direct flight:
  • Baltimore/BAL —Based upon my experience via two Unlimited Mileage Liberty Fares, let's try Newark/EWR
  • Hartford/BDL —Outside of Hartford, the only stop that seems feasible is Providence/PVD and since you mentioned it was partially correct, let's try it here
EWR is correct
PVD is correct
Old May 30, 2020, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by jrl767
990 is incorrect; DAL is partially correct; SAN is incorrect
727 is correct; MEM and LIT are both correct; GSW is incorrect
Did AA have nonstops from Oklahoma to California? I think so.

Going with a guess of BNA-MEM-LIT-OKC-LAX for the 727.
As for the two-stopper, how about a 707 routing BNA-TUL-DAL-LAX?
Old May 30, 2020, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did AA have nonstops from Oklahoma to California? I think so.

Going with a guess of BNA-MEM-LIT-OKC-LAX for the 727.
As for the two-stopper, how about a 707 routing BNA-TUL-DAL-LAX?
AA did indeed operate OKC-LAX nonstops, but this particular flight was not one of them — OKC is incorrect

As for the two-stopper, 707 is correct; TUL is incorrect

we’re probably in tap-in territory now for both flights
Old May 30, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: BA
Allegheny is
correct

Direct flight:
  • Convair 580 is correct
  • Pittsburgh/PIT is correct
  • Harrisburg/MDT is correct
  • Based upon my experience via two Unlimited Mileage Liberty Fares, let's try Newark/EWR
  • Outside of Hartford, the only stop that seems feasible is Providence/PVD and since you mentioned it was partially correct, let's try it here

Connecting itinerary: We'll have a go at this later.
Keep rolling there, S2A, my guesses were just that, I wouldn't get any further without looking things up somewhere/somehow.

If not a DC-9 then Allegheny also at the time had a Fairchild F-27 fleet, and the Nord 262. I suspect the latter is the less likely, so the alternative aircraft looks like it would be an F-27.
Old May 31, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
AA did indeed operate OKC-LAX nonstops, but this particular flight was not one of them — OKC is incorrect

As for the two-stopper, 707 is correct; TUL is incorrect

we’re probably in tap-in territory now for both flights
"Help me information. Get in touch with my Marie. She's the only one who'd call me here from Memphis, Tennessee." A little of Chuck Berry or Johnny Rivers at their best there. MEM must have been a stop on both of the AA BNA-LAX flights. And so too Dallas.
727 via MEM-LIT-DAL
707 via MEM-DAL
Old May 31, 2020, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Help me information. Get in touch with my Marie. She's the only one who'd call me here from Memphis, Tennessee." A little of Chuck Berry or Johnny Rivers at their best there. MEM must have been a stop on both of the AA BNA-LAX flights. And so too Dallas.
727 via MEM-LIT-DAL
707 via MEM-DAL
and you would be entirely correct on both flights
Old May 31, 2020, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
"Help me information. Get in touch with my Marie. She's the only one who'd call me here from Memphis, Tennessee." A little of Chuck Berry or Johnny Rivers at their best there.
We're talkin' Johnny Rivers from his song "Memphis"
Old May 31, 2020, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
... If not a DC-9 then Allegheny also at the time had a Fairchild F-27 fleet, and the Nord 262. I suspect the latter is the less likely, so the alternative aircraft looks like it would be an F-27.

well, the F-27 is
incorrect, which of course means that the Nord 262 is the aircraft we are looking for

we know that the CMH-BOS itinerary involved a total of four stops, the second of which was the connecting point

we know that the stops did NOT include PIT, PHL, BAL, BDL, or PVD; since the direct flight also transited MDT and EWR, logic would suggest that these are off the list of candidates
Old May 31, 2020, 5:34 pm

"Help me information. Get in touch with my Marie. She's the only one who'd call me here from Memphis, Tennessee." A little of Chuck Berry or Johnny Rivers at their best there.
Or The Beatles https://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/memphis-tennessee/
Old May 31, 2020, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Always been one of my favorite songs but I wasn't aware of The Beatles' cover of it.

This thread is all kinds of informative
Old May 31, 2020, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...This thread is all kinds of informative
many of us “old timers” have a few intriguing stories in our repertoires ... and some, obviously, have FAR more than a few
Old May 31, 2020, 6:59 pm

"Old Timer" - CHEEK !

The music business in the UK was very different back then, and (unlike the USA) extremely restrictive in what records could be played on the radio. This accounts for the multiple visits by The Beatles to the BBC radio studios to perform live, music which was often quite different to what was getting put out by the record companies. As here. You were lucky if the broadcast was actually by the band in question, and not a dreadful live cover version by "The BBC Northern Radio Orchestra"

the F-27 is incorrect, which of course means that the Nord 262 is the aircraft we are looking for
I just recalled that I did a little resume of Allegheny's turboprops, way back in the earlier times of this thread : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19851407-post2098.html . None of which unfortunately assists in knowing how to hop from Columbus to Boston.
Old May 31, 2020, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Well, the F-27 is incorrect, which of course means that the Nord 262 is the aircraft we are looking for

we know that the CMH-BOS itinerary involved a total of four stops, the second of which was the connecting point

we know that the stops did NOT include PIT, PHL, BAL, BDL, or PVD; since the direct flight also transited MDT and EWR, logic would suggest that these are off the list of candidates
This might take a routing across southern New York. Then again, that's all Mohawk country in 1969. With the Nords involved, maybe initially an old Lake Central routing of which I am clueless. But what the heck - just to get the ball rolling I'm looking at my pocket atlas here and guessing at what might make sense. Let's try the Nord 262 routing Columbus - Toledo - Detroit connecting with the Convair 580 routing Detroit - Cleveland - Erie - Allentown - Boston.

Hopefully one or more of those airports will stick...
Old May 31, 2020, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
This might take a routing across southern New York. Then again, that's all Mohawk country in 1969. With the Nords involved, maybe initially an old Lake Central routing of which I am clueless. But what the heck - just to get the ball rolling I'm looking at my pocket atlas here and guessing at what might make sense. Let's try the Nord 262 routing Columbus - Toledo - Detroit connecting with the Convair 580 routing Detroit - Cleveland - Erie - Allentown - Boston.

Hopefully one or more of those airports will stick...
  1. TOL
  2. DTW
  3. CLE
  4. ERI
  5. ABE
we‘re seeking a four-stop routing ... do you care to narrow down your choices before I actually respond to your very reasonable guess?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.