Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old May 24, 20, 6:33 pm
  #19081  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Ester, Alaska
Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Posts: 9,349
Thank goodness for those K class fares. Back in the early 1970s they allowed a poor high school student like me to afford a roundtrip ticket from LA down to to San Diego for $13.72 or about $79.23 at today's prices. As such, I logged my first flight on National Airlines aboard a DC-10 named "Phyllis" and my first flight on Delta as well as my first flight aboard DC-8-61 on the return leg.
Seat 2A is offline  
Old May 24, 20, 6:59 pm
  #19082  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 14,649
my father had a business trip to Livermore National Laboratories when we were living in LA in the early 1960s

an uncle (my momís brother-in-law) was finishing up his Ph.D. at Berkeley, so my mom and sister and I spent the week there ... I insisted on paying the $8 childís fare for my own ticket on the Electra going up (WA408)
jrl767 is offline  
Old May 24, 20, 7:16 pm
  #19083  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 14,649
speaking of 1962, I found an interesting transcontinental flight with a piston-powered aircraft ... it made a dozen stops between NYC and California —

1- identify the departure airport, airline, equipment, and all stops in sequence
2- identify which three stops were NOT served on the eastbound return

Last edited by jrl767; May 24, 20 at 7:30 pm
jrl767 is offline  
Old May 25, 20, 9:24 am
  #19084  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 8,433
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post

So, a Bonus Question. Where we lived our nearest airport geographically was Liverpool, which at the time had a substantial multi-daily service to Heathrow, although a somewhat convoluted drive to get there. His father travelled regularly to London, but liked to go from another airport which had a convenient twice-daily flight to Heathrow and back, one which has not had scheduled services for more than 50 years now, but is still very much in use. So, airline and aircraft type.

I do not think anyone ever responded to this. I meant to but never got around to it. So here we go.....

British Eagle operating Vickers Viscount service from the airport located near Chester (which most likely has a name but I'm not sure what it is).

Meantime, Happy Memorial Day to everyone! We were hoping to have a flyover here by a pair of LANG F-15C aircraft from JRB Belle Chasse; however, we have tropical thundershowers moving over us from the Gulf this morning so our WX will probably preclude any military air activity in honor of not only our servicemen and women but our doctors, nurses, other medical personnel and first responders as well.

Last edited by jlemon; May 25, 20 at 9:38 am
jlemon is offline  
Old May 25, 20, 1:45 pm
  #19085  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Wanting First. Buying First.
Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Posts: 6,433
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
Thank goodness for those K class fares. Back in the early 1970s they allowed a poor high school student like me to afford a roundtrip ticket from LA down to to San Diego for $13.72 or about $79.23 at today's prices. As such, I logged my first flight on National Airlines aboard a DC-10 named "Phyllis" and my first flight on Delta as well as my first flight aboard DC-8-61 on the return leg.
So Phyllis was your first?


Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
my father had a business trip to Livermore National Laboratories when we were living in LA in the early 1960s

an uncle (my momís brother-in-law) was finishing up his Ph.D. at Berkeley, so my mom and sister and I spent the week there ... I insisted on paying the $8 childís fare for my own ticket on the Electra going up (WA408)
I've heard stories that UA has diverted jets to Livermore (LVK) over the years when SFO was fogged in. Even less probable, stories exist of UA SFO diversions to Half Moon Bay (HAF). I'd love to see proof of the latter. LVK makes sense as the "Tri-Valley" area is much less foggy and the airport there has a 5,000+ ft. runway with an ILS approach. Some Asian airlines have used LVK for ab initio pilot training. HAF on the other hand makes no sense as it's usually every bit as foggy there as at SFO, if not worse, and there's nothing but a non-precision VOR approach available from what I can remember.

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
speaking of 1962, I found an interesting transcontinental flight with a piston-powered aircraft ... it made a dozen stops between NYC and California ó

1- identify the departure airport, airline, equipment, and all stops in sequence
2- identify which three stops were NOT served on the eastbound return
UA still had DC-6s until the late 1960s so a 1962 DC-6 milk run seems possible on the main line airway:
IDL-PHL-BAL-CLE-MDW-DSM-OMA-LNK-DEN-CYS-SLC-RNO-SAC-SFO
And let's guess that Cheyenne, Lincoln, and Baltimore were skipped eastbound.

(I'm thinking that in 1962 Sacramento's airport was still what is now Sacramento Executive and not the later Metropolitan (now International) airport that replaced it for airline service. Also UA had a split operation in Chicago for many years with flights at both MDW and ORD)

Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
I do not think anyone ever responded to this. I meant to but never got around to it. So here we go.....

British Eagle operating Vickers Viscount service from the airport located near Chester (which most likely has a name but I'm not sure what it is).
That must be the airport where early Hawker Siddeley 125s were built. Interestingly, even after Raytheon bought the HS125 bizjet line from BAe and continued to improve/upgrade it (Hawker 800XP, Hawker 900, etc.), fuselages were still built at Chester and shipped to Wichita for the rest of the aircraft to be assembled.

Meantime, Happy Memorial Day to everyone! We were hoping to have a flyover here by a pair of LANG F-15C aircraft from JRB Belle Chasse; however, we have tropical thundershowers moving over us from the Gulf this morning so our WX will probably preclude any military air activity in honor of not only our servicemen and women but our doctors, nurses, other medical personnel and first responders as well.
A very happy Memorial Day to you and all the OTAQD folks here, as well!
Herb687 is offline  
Old May 25, 20, 1:53 pm
  #19086  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 14,649
Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
UA still had DC-6s until the late 1960s so a 1962 DC-6 milk run seems possible on the main line airway:
IDL-PHL-BAL-CLE-MDW-DSM-OMA-LNK-DEN-CYS-SLC-RNO-SAC-SFO
And let's guess that Cheyenne, Lincoln, and Baltimore were skipped eastbound.
right aircraft, wrong origin, wrong airline — which means those should be pretty easy to guess

PHL as the first stop is correct
jrl767 is offline  
Old May 25, 20, 2:02 pm
  #19087  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Wanting First. Buying First.
Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Posts: 6,433
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
right aircraft, wrong origin, wrong airline ó which means those should be pretty easy to guess
PHL as the first stop is correct
Ok, maybe an AA southern transcon then:
LGA-PHL-DCA-CRW-CVG-MEM-LIT-DAL-FTW-ELP-TUS-PHX-LAX-SAN
(LIT, CRW, PHL skipped eastbound?)
Herb687 is offline  
Old May 25, 20, 2:38 pm
  #19088  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 14,649
AA is correct

LGA is correct as the origin; DCA is correct as the second stop; MEM, DAL, FTW, ELP, LAX, and SAN are correct but in the wrong places in the sequence; TUS and PHX are correct and in the proper sequence
jrl767 is offline  
Old May 25, 20, 3:08 pm
  #19089  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Wanting First. Buying First.
Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Posts: 6,433
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
AA is correct

LGA is correct as the origin; DCA is correct as the second stop; MEM, DAL, FTW, ELP, LAX, and SAN are correct but in the wrong places in the sequence; TUS and PHX are correct and in the proper sequence
I had to look at a map to figure out where a flight between ELP and TUS could possibly stop on a non-circuitous routing. Douglas, Arizona seems to be the answer.
LGA-PHL-DCA-TYS-MEM-DAL-FTW-MAF-ELP-Douglas-TUS-PHX-SAN-LAX is the revised guess.
Herb687 is offline  
Old May 25, 20, 3:16 pm
  #19090  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: London, England.
Programs: BA
Posts: 7,674
Originally Posted by jlemon
I do not think anyone ever responded to this. I meant to but never got around to it. So here we go.....
Originally Posted by jlemon

British Eagle operating Vickers Viscount service from the airport located near Chester (which most likely has a name but I'm not sure what it is).
Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
That must be the airport where early Hawker Siddeley 125s were built. Interestingly, even after Raytheon bought the HS125 bizjet line from BAe and continued to improve/upgrade it (Hawker 800XP, Hawker 900, etc.), fuselages were still built at Chester and shipped to Wichita for the rest of the aircraft to be assembled.
Both correct. The airport was known indeed by a couple of names, Chester (code CEG) being one of them, but that city is in a different country ... the border between England and Wales runs up the east side of the airfield. Often also known as Hawarden, or Broughton, two nearby towns.

It has an interesting and long history, built by the De Havilland company in early WW2, there was surplus labour there from a local coal mining industry in terminal decline. Many De Havilland types were built there, often shared with their traditional plant at Hatfield near north London. Many Dove and Heron feederliners came from there, also about half the Comets, as stated the HS125, and they did a lot of subcontract and component work as well. Eventually they got a significant part of Airbus work, and today every Airbus wing, plus all their advanced wing design work, is done there. The adapted Airbus A300 outsize transporters are a daily sight there, coming in over Liverpool airport by when they probably have the runway in sight, even though it's across two major estuaries. There's also a daily "scheduled" corporate flight to the Airbus plants in Hamburg and Toulouse, and probably elsewhere, which has been contracted out to a variety of airlines over time - a few years ago I took an Eastern Airways Saab 2000 from London City to Isle of Man, which was standing in for the normal BA liveried one, and in the seat pocket was a boarding card from the previous day for Hamburg to Chester.

Last edited by WHBM; May 25, 20 at 3:23 pm
WHBM is offline  
Old May 25, 20, 3:43 pm
  #19091  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 14,649
Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
I had to look at a map to figure out where a flight between ELP and TUS could possibly stop on a non-circuitous routing. Douglas, Arizona seems to be the answer.
LGA-PHL-DCA-TYS-MEM-DAL-FTW-MAF-ELP-Douglas-TUS-PHX-SAN-LAX is the revised guess.
all correct except for TYS — probably not worth another round of back-and-forth to realize that the right city was Nashville/BNA

the ICAO airport code for Douglas/Bisbee is DUG

now which three stops did the return flight skip?
jrl767 is offline  
Old May 25, 20, 11:08 pm
  #19092  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Florida
Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Posts: 1,160
14. If you wanted to arrive into Miami on board a Lockheed L-188 Electra nonstop from an international location in 1980, what airline would you call and where would you depart from? It wasn't Aerocondor, Ecuatoriana, Sunjet International, COPA or SAHSA. The flight originated in Honduras.

Let me try TAN (Transportes Aereos Nacional) airlines before they merged with SAHSA
teddybear99 is offline  
Old May 26, 20, 10:06 am
  #19093  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 8,433
Originally Posted by teddybear99 View Post
14. If you wanted to arrive into Miami on board a Lockheed L-188 Electra nonstop from an international location in 1980, what airline would you call and where would you depart from? It wasn't Aerocondor, Ecuatoriana, Sunjet International, COPA or SAHSA. The flight originated in Honduras.

Let me try TAN (Transportes Aereos Nacional) airlines before they merged with SAHSA
14. Transportes Aereos Nacionales (TAN) is correct.....however, we are still looking for the city in Honduras this flight departed from on its way nonstop to Miami.
jlemon is offline  
Old May 26, 20, 10:15 am
  #19094  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 8,433
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post

There's also a daily "scheduled" corporate flight to the Airbus plants in Hamburg and Toulouse, and probably elsewhere, which has been contracted out to a variety of airlines over time - a few years ago I took an Eastern Airways Saab 2000 from London City to Isle of Man, which was standing in for the normal BA liveried one, and in the seat pocket was a boarding card from the previous day for Hamburg to Chester.


I wonder how those folks are doing over there. I've not been in contact with them since I retired from Bristow nearly two years ago. Bristow Group has a controlling interest in Eastern Airways.
jlemon is offline  
Old May 26, 20, 10:42 am
  #19095  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 8,433
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post

14. If you wanted to arrive into Miami on board a Lockheed L-188 Electra nonstop from an international location in 1980, what airline would you call and where would you depart from? ANSWERED

22. In 1993, this air carrier operating nonstop service between Miami and two destinations in South America ran a print ad including these statements:

Offering First Class Service at Economy Fares! (Airline) daily schedule is served by a (equipment) specially configured as a one-class aircraft carrying 98 passengers in business class seats, two on each side. A host of trained cabin attendants serve the finest selection of complimentary champagne, wine and liqueurs accompanied by gourmet cuisine served on china and linen with a silverware setting. Other amenities include an open bar, in-flight movies and music, complimentary flight kit and gifts for the children.....

Identify the airline, the equipment and the two cities in South America served nonstop from Miami by this air carrier. ANSWERED
Last call for the above! And both now ANSWERED......

Last edited by jlemon; May 26, 20 at 1:30 pm Reason: answer update
jlemon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: