Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old May 13, 2020, 2:52 pm

Shortest scheduled trip for me was British International Helicopters Sikorsky S-61N, between Scilly Isles (St. Mary's) (ISC) and Tresco Heliport (TSO) at 3 miles,
though this was part of a longer trip from Penzance (PZE).

Like dfw88, I've also done O&D trips with Aer Arann Islands on their Britten-Normans Islanders.
Connemara (NNR) to Inishmore (IOR) and Inisheer (INQ) are both listed as 12 miles.

New England Airlines, again with a BN Islander from Westerly, RI (WST) to Block Island, RI (BID) a distance of 17 miles.

Shortest mainland trip would be Skywest/Delta Connection Fairchild Metro from LAX to Burbank (18 miles).

Shortest by jet would be Paris CDG to Paris ORY at 21 miles on an Air Inter Caravelle but that was a diversion and took 25 minutes.

Scheduled jet would be Pacific Western 737-200 from Vancouver to Victoria, 39 miles.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Plus my shortest flight on board a B727-200 in first class: Alaska Airlines from Ontario to Burbank which is around 41 miles (but I was a through passenger from Seattle).
Old May 13, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Originally Posted by KT550
... Shortest mainland trip would be Skywest/Delta Connection Fairchild Metro from LAX to Burbank (18 miles )...
ha! forgot about that one ... it was on a foggy morning in Oct 1989, and we must have gone more than halfway to ONT to get sequenced on the ILS; needless to say, my connection to SEA was toast, but DL rebooked me on AS in F

Originally Posted by jlemon
... shortest flight on board a B727-200 in first class: Alaska Airlines from Ontario to Burbank which is around 41 miles (but I was a through passenger from Seattle).
for my two shortest F trips I can point to LGA-PHL (95 miles) on an AA 727 in Apr 1976 (had flown ITH-LGA on an AL BAC 1-11, so the thru Y fare booked into FN) and JFK-PHL (94 miles) on a TW 72S in Aug 1988 (part of a redeye SFO-JFK-PHL trip, with an upgrade to F on the TriStar as well)
Old May 13, 2020, 5:52 pm

In 1996 I was on a BA 747 scheduled for JFK-LGW which made an intermediate stop at LHR (26 miles). OK, that doesn't really count, because we couldn't land at Gatwick only because of traffic congestion and running out of fuel. And I have another pseudo-claim: BA 747 in 1981 Delhi-Delhi because of engine malfunction. I'm afraid the only legitimate claims I have are Las Vegas-Oakland-San Francisco (11 miles) in 1977 on a Hughes Air West DC-9 (model?) and New Orleans - Baltimore - Washington-National (30 miles) on a Delta 727 in 1977. Zurich-Frankfurt (177 miles) on a Singapore 747 in 1982 (I was the only passenger who boarded in Zurich) and JFK-Philadelphia (94 miles)- San Juan in a Pan Am 747 in 1974 are, I admit, pretty sorry short trips, compared to some of the ones posted here.

Last edited by Track; May 13, 2020 at 10:49 pm
Old May 13, 2020, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
53. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, what was the shortest flight in the U.S. operated with a 747?
Did PA perhaps run their 747 IAD-LHR flight via JFK prior to extending it to ATL on the interchange?

If they did, given that we're talking 1970 - eight years before deregulation - the IAD-JFK segment wouldn't have been eligible for public sale except as a CONDITIONAL STOPOVER TRAFFIC flight. Indeed, the only "domestic" PA flights eligible for unrestricted public sale would be West Coast to Hawaii, Seattle to Fairbanks, Houston to Mexico City or a variety of Caribbean airports to/from the U.S.

The airline and flight we're looking for was actually mentioned - albeit incorrectly - in response to question 35, which had identical parameters but was in 1988.

Please, guess again!
Old May 13, 2020, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
32. (1989) Your family loves to ski. Unfortunately quality ski opportunities are difficult to come by in Minnesota so this year you’ve headed off to Killington, Vermont. Unfortunately, getting back home to the Twin Cities will not be as easy as it was getting to Vermont. Your flight from Burlington to Minneapolis makes 2 enroute stops. At least a snack is served along the way. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two enroute stops.

Wild guess time.....Continental via stops at Newark (EWR) and Cleveland (CLE). If so, the equipment may have been a B737-200....or possibly a B737-100 which might have been inherited from People Express.

Correct. So far as I know, the OAG did not differentiate between 737-100 and -200 schedules. I've seen "737" which seems to be variant neutral, and 73S generally indicating 737-200. In this case, the OAG indicated 73S.

Continental CO 265 Burlington (BTV) 850a-1000a Newark (EWR) 1050a-1226p Cleveland (CLE) 110p-201p S Minneapolis (MSP) 737-200 X6

39. (1979) Between San Juan, PR and Miami, almost all of the mostly daily flights are operated with wide-bodied equipment. Only one airline serves this route exclusively with narrow-bodied equipment (2 daily flights). Identify that airline as well as the aircraft type it utilizes

Eastern was the big player in this market with its San Juan hub back then....and if I recall correctly, Delta was also operating flights between MIA and SJU with EA and DL both flying L-1011 aircraft on the route. I also believe National was operating MIA-SJU back then with the B727-200....however, I am going to go with another airline which was beginning to make its presence felt in the Caribbean back in the late 1970's from Miami: American flying the B707 on the MIA-SJU route.

AA all the way. Here are the two flights...

American AA 683 San Juan (SJU) 920a-1058a B Miami (MIA) 707 Daily
American AA 627 San Juan (SJU) 400p-538p S Miami (MIA) 707 Daily
Old May 13, 2020, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

43. (1989) It used to be that the only airline offering flights between Albuquerque and Tucson was Frontier. You still have fond memories of dressing up to fly to Tucson aboard a new 727 Arrow Jet back in 1967. These days Frontier has passed into history and the ABQ-TUS market is now served by two airlines, each offering two daily nonstop flights. Identify those airlines and the aircraft each operates on its flights.

I think one was a US Air 737-300 (which actually originated in Pittsburgh/PIT); not a clue as to the other, so herewith a random guess -- Delta operating a 727-200

US Air with its 737-300 is correct. As is the 727-200 for the other airline - which was not Delta. Hmm... which one was it?
Old May 13, 2020, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
53. (1970)Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, what was the shortest flight in the U.S. operated with a 747? ...
The airline and flight we're looking for was actually mentioned - albeit incorrectly - in response to question 35, which had identical parameters but was in 1988.
53- having re-examined the Q35 history, I will offer AA operating DTW-ORD
Old May 13, 2020, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wink

Alright then - we've covered each other's shortest flights. How about our most medium range flights? I was once on a 591 mile flight aboard a Western 720B between Denver and Phoenix.

Okay, okay - so perhaps a compilation of our most mediocre distance flights might not be such a good idea. How about a listing of our LONGEST flights? Surely one of you must have flown the EWR-SIN marathon or perhaps even the Doha to Auckland flight?

Here are my top ten:

Dallas to Sydney - Qantas A380 - 8580 miles
Dubai to Houston - Emirates A380 - 8150 miles
Dubai to San Francisco - Emirates A380 - 8090 miles
New York JFK to Hong Kong - Cathay Pacific 777-300 - 8050 miles
Brisbane to Dubai - Emirates A380 - 7440 miles
San Francisco to Sydney - United 747-400 - 7420 miles
Seattle to Dubai - Emirates 777-200 - 7410
Melbourne to Dubai - Emirates A380 - 7230 miles
Los Angeles to Hong Kong - Cathay Pacific 747-400 - 7230 miles
Buenos Aires to Frankfurt - Lufthansa 747-400 - 7140 miles

The best thing about the above ten flights is that with the exception of the United flight between SFO and SYD, all of the others were in First Class. Thank goodness for airline mileage programs that allow me to be the only person in First Class who drives a bus for a living and lives in a cabin without running water. (And yet I'm often amongst the best dressed people on board... thanks to thrift shops )
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 14, 2020 at 1:18 pm
Old May 13, 2020, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

53. (1970)Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, what was the shortest flight in the U.S. operated with a 747? ...

Having re-examined the Q35 history, I will offer AA operating DTW-ORD

An excellent guess, but no - the flight was not operated by AA and it was just a bit longer than ORD-DTW...
Old May 13, 2020, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We're making good progress here. For any of you new to the festivities, please limit your response to no more than two questions per day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers here. Ready? Set? Go!

36. (1979) It’s been a great weekend in Las Vegas but now duty calls in Baltimore. You’ve got a late afternoon appointment in Glen Burnie and it just so happens that there’s a one-stop redeye that’ll get you into Baltimore mid-morning. Your ability to sleep on airplanes is legendary, so this flight will be perfect! Identify the airline, aircraft and the stop.
A N S W E R E D

38. (1998) You’re seated aboard the only flight between New York and Las Vegas that markets a Business Class or “C” class seat. Well what the heck – it’s cheaper than everyone else’s First Class so you’ve decided to splurge! Identify the airline and aircraft you’re flying aboard.

40. (1988) From your home outside St. Louis, MO you need to fly back to Long Island for your 10th high school reunion at Connetquot High School. These days there’s a lot more service into nearby Long Island MacArthur Airport than there used to be, though you’re disappointed to find none from hometown airline TWA. Thankfully, the STL-ISP route is served by a single daily two-stop flight, so you quickly book a seat before pondering which clothes will make you look thinnest at the reunion. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops in order.

43. (1989) It used to bethat the only airline offering flights between Albuquerque and Tucson was Frontier. You still have fond memories of dressing up to fly to Tucson aboard a new 727 Arrow Jet back in 1967. These days Frontier has passed into history and the ABQ-TUS market is now served by two airlines, each offering two daily nonstop flights. Identify those airlines and the aircraft each operates on its flights.
A N S W E R E D

44. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, what was the longest Convair 880 flight in North America?
A N S W E R E D

45. (1995) Duty calls in the form of a sales call next week out in Albuquerque, New Mexico. From your home office in New Orleans, you figure you’ll probably have to connect in Houston or Dallas but are pleased to find a one stop direct flight that departs New Orleans each morning and arrives in Albuquerque with plenty of time left in the day to complete your business. You ask your secretary to book you a seat and then return your attention to the Metairie project.
It's not Southwest, America West or Continental

47. (1988) It had been a nice ride thus far – as buses go. You’d boarded the Grey Dog in Wilmington, DE earlier this evening and were headed to Scranton, PA when suddenly the driver came on over the PA and announced that there was some kind of a problem with the engine and he’d have to get off the road. Thankfully he was able to do so at a Sunoco Travel Plaza just off I-95 on the outskirts of Philadelphia. He then contacted dispatch on his radio only to be informed that a replacement bus wouldn’t be available until sometime after 11:30pm. Whaaat? No way! You need to be in Scranton before midnight! Maybe you could fly there. You call US Air whose agent informs you that their last flight of the night between Philly and AVP departs in 12 minutes. However, she’s kind enough to let you know that another airline has a flight departing Philly in about an hour and half, with a jet no less. Calls to that airline and then a taxi company prove fruitful and soon you’re on your way to AVP in First Class no less, courtesy of the FN/YN designated flight. Identify the airline and aircraft you’re flying upon.

49. (1989) Your old college buddy from Carnegie Mellon University has called to let you know he’s recently come upon a pair of tickets to this weekend’s Steelers game against the Patriots. Wanna go?! Hmm… A quick check of the schedules shows a single airline offering two daily direct flights between your hometown airport in Melbourne, FL and Pittsburgh. Both flights make the same two stops along the way, and in terms of total travel time either one would time out about the same as if you’d made a 1.5 hour connection in Atlanta. You decide to book a seat on the early evening flight and call your buddy with the good news. Name the airline, the aircraft and the two stops. And if you’re really up for it, the score of the game.
It's AA routing through RDU and one other airport with an MD80

53. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, what was the shortest flight in the U.S. operated with a 747?
A N S W E R E D

57. (1998) From your home in Scottsdale, Arizona you need to travel to Montreal, Quebec for a symposium on light rail options and operations hosted by Bombardier, one of the world's largest companies in the rail vehicle and equipment manufacturing and servicing industry. With plenty of time available to you before the symposium, you decide to have a bit of fun with your flights out to Montreal. To wit, you’ve found a combination of flights that will allow you to
  • Fly between PHX and YMX aboard a 727, 737 and 747 in that order
  • Both the 727 and 737 flights will be in all-economy configurations with only the 747 offering premium class seating
  • The 727 and 737 flights are not variant specific
It’s worth noting that given the departure point of the 747 into YMX, one and only one routing meets the specifications outlined above, especially given the use of single class configured aircraft. BTW, you will overnight at the final connection point though this shouldn’t have any bearing on the parameters described above. Good luck, men!

58. (1988) You’ve had a great week of sailboarding around the Bahamas and now it’s time to return home to Nashville. Your trip out to Nassau involved a couple of connections, but on the way home you’ll be on a direct flight – albeit one that makes two enroute stops. That’s fine by you – there’ll be less chances to damage or lose your rad sailboard. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops in order please.

60. (1979) Cleveland can be particularly dreary in the winter, so one can only imagine your excitement to be headed down to sunny Acapulco this weekend. Thankfully, you won’t have to make any connections either because there’s a single direct flight between Cleveland and Acapulco that makes two enroute stops. Name the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type.
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 16, 2020 at 3:40 pm
Old May 13, 2020, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

43- how about Continental for the other ABQ-TUS
53- Northwest, MSP-ORD (lost the mental coin flip)

Last edited by jrl767; May 13, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Old May 14, 2020, 12:28 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
45. How about America West via Phoenix on an Airbus A320-200?
Old May 14, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
My shortest trips are:
LAX - SNA 36 miles USAir
ONT - LAX 47 miles United
ORD - MKE 67 miles United
CLT - GSP 75 miles USAir
MRY - SFO 78 miles United
GSO - CLT 83 miles USAirways
SFO - SMF 86 miles United
LAX - SBA 88 miles United
CLT - CAE 89 miles USAir
BWI - PHL 90 miles American

My longest ones are:
SIN - SFO 8448 miles United
EWR - HKG 8062 miles United
JFK - JNB 7982 miles South African Airways (and v.v)
MEL - LAX 7936 miles United
HKG - ORD 7790 miles United (and v.v.)
LAX - SYD 7502 miles United (and v.v..)
SFO - SYD 7432 miles United (and v.v)
EWR - PVG 7378 United (and v.v.)
DXB - IAD 7063 miles United
ORD - PVG 7051 miles United (and v.v.)
Old May 14, 2020, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

44. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, what was the longest Convair 880 flight in North America?
TWA is the airline of record. It wasn't JFK-PHX or PIT-LAX
44- I think we're left with Cincinnati/CVG - LAX

45. (1995) Duty calls in the form of a sales call next week out in Albuquerque, New Mexico. From your home office in New Orleans, you figure you’ll probably have to connect in Houston or Dallas but are pleased to find a one stop direct flight that departs New Orleans each morning and arrives in Albuquerque with plenty of time left in the day to complete your business. You ask your secretary to book you a seat and then return your attention to the Metairie project.
It's not Southwest
Originally Posted by teddybear99
45. How about America West via Phoenix on an Airbus A320-200?
45- I don't recall that HP ever served MSY except via Continental code-share ... but speaking of CO, a 737-524 via Houston/IAH is a logical idea

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.