Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Bonus Question: Of the state capitals INCORRECTLY listed below, identify which airline(s) and jet(s) served each one.
Important Note:
We're still missing some states whose capitals do not have jet service per my 1970 OAG

Augusta, ME Correct!
Concord, NH Correct!
Montpelier, VT Correct!
Dover, DE Correct!
Annapolis, MD Correct!
Frankfort, KY Correct!
Topeka, KS Correct!
Pierre, SD Incorrect! WA 737 & NC D9S Correct .
Bismark, ND Incorrect! NW 727 & FL 737 Correct
Helena, MT Incorrect! NW 727 & WA 737 Correct
Cheyenne, WY Incorrect! WA 737 Correct
Carson City, NV Correct!
Olympia, WA Correct!
Juneau, AK Incorrect!.AS 727 & WA 720B Correct
Harrisburg, PA Incorrect!
Salem, OR Incorrect!
Jefferson City, MO Incorrect!
Lincoln, NE Incorrect!
Okay, I'm going to throw in a few here... Trenton NJ and Santa Fe NM
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Bonus Question
:

Of the state capitals INCORRECTLY listed below, identify which airline(s) and jet(s) served each one.
Important Note:
We're still missing some states whose capitals do not have jet service per my 1970 OAG

Augusta, ME Correct!
Concord, NH Correct!
Montpelier, VT Correct!
Dover, DE Correct!
Annapolis, MD Correct!
Frankfort, KY Correct!
Topeka, KS Correct!
Carson City, NV Correct!
Olympia, WA Correct!
Salem, OR Incorrect!
Lincoln, NE Incorrect!
I will add:
Tallahassee, FL
Providence, RI
Little Rock, AS
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
presuming we are still taking bids/bets on the jets that served the state capitols, herewith a few guesses:
  • Harrisburg (MDT) - Allegheny DC-9-30
  • Salem (SLE) - United 737, possibly Air West DC-9-10
  • Lincoln (LNK) - United 737, Frontier 737
I also believe Jefferson City was actually served through Columbia even though it has its own airport - COU probably saw Ozark DC-9-10/30
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
12. (1985) This is the year you finally take the family to Disney World! Disneyland is closer to your home in Portland, Oregon but Orlando also offers SeaWorld, Baseball World and Circus World. Though it’s always a challenge flying anywhere with three young children, you’re pleased to discover that between Portland and Orlando there’s a single daily one stop direct flight. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stops. Routing via DEN verified. Not UA or Frontier Horizon
12- Continental, MD-80

17. (1989) You’ve got some old air miles sitting around in your frequent flyer account and you’ve just received notice from the airline that they’re due to expire in three months. From your home in Seattle, you’ve got just enough miles for a domestic roundtrip within the continental U.S., so a ski vacation in Utah on the powdery slopes of Alta might be nice. Unfortunately, your airline doesn’t fly nonstop from Seattle to Salt Lake, but it does offer a single daily one-stop direct flight. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the intermediate stop.
17- let's start with United, running a 727-200 via San Francisco (SFO)

Last edited by jrl767; Apr 30, 2020 at 9:54 am
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
Okay, I'm going to throw in a few here... Trenton NJ and Santa Fe NM
Good call, Bluehen1! I'll add them to the list. So, by my count we're missing just one more state capital. It sits on a major waterway...

Bonus Question: Of the state capitals INCORRECTLY listed below, identify which airline(s) and jet(s) served each one.
Important Note:

Augusta, ME Correct!
Concord, NH Correct!
Montpelier, VT Correct!
Dover, DE Correct!
Annapolis, MD Correct!
Frankfort, KY Correct!
Topeka, KS Correct!
Carson City, NV Correct!
Olympia, WA Correct!
Salem, OR Incorrect!
Lincoln, NE Incorrect!
Trenton, NJ Correct!
Santa Fe, NM Correct!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 30, 2020 at 1:56 pm
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by teddybear99
Re. Bonus Question: Of the state capitals INCORRECTLY listed below, identify which airline(s) and jet(s) served each one.

I will add:
Tallahassee, FL
Providence, RI
Little Rock, AS
By 1970 all of the above capitals you've listed had enjoyed jet service for some time which leads me to believe you may have misunderstood the question, especially given your header titled Bonus Question. To wit, the Bonus Question asks of the state capitals INCORRECTLY listed, identify which airline(s) and jet(s) served each one. As such, we're looking for airlines and aircraft that served Harrisburg, PA, Salem, OR, Jefferson City, MO and Lincoln, NE. Care to have another go at this one?

Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
Presuming we are still taking bids/bets on the jets that served the state capitols, herewith a few guesses:
  • Harrisburg (MDT) - Allegheny DC-9-30 Correct! However, we're still looking for one more airline and aircraft that served Harrisburg...
  • Salem (SLE) - United 737, possibly Air West DC-9-10 United's 737 is Correct! As to your other submission, I need a definitive answer. I don't deal in "possibly"s. It either is or it isn't. Since I haven't specified this in the "terms of engagement" as it were, I shall do so henceforth so there is no confusion. For the record, RW did not serve Salem.
  • Lincoln (LNK) - United 737, Frontier 737 Correct! on both counts. However, one of these airlines operates another jet aircraft type into Lincoln.
I also believe Jefferson City was actually served through Columbia even though it has its own airport - COU probably saw Ozark DC-9-10/30

You are correct! I didn't catch this because both Columbia and Jefferson City have their own listings in the OAG I used to reference these questions. So, good call, J! Technically speaking, I'll have to relist Jefferson City as NOT being served given that Columbia is 22 miles away and an entirely different airport. I am presently investigating when (if ever) JEF may have received jet service. I flew through there on an Ozark DC-9-30 in 1980 and have it listed as JEF when in truth I may have flown through COU. I'll letcha'll know....

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 30, 2020 at 2:37 pm
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MDT: I certainly can't place AA, BN, CO, DL, EA, MO, or UA there, so that leaves TWA with a DC-9-10
LNK: both FL and UA operated the 727-100, but I think you would have been more likely to see an ArrowJet than a Mainliner
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

12. (1985) This is the year you finally take the family to Disney World! Disneyland is closer to your home in Portland, Oregon but Orlando also offers SeaWorld, Baseball World and Circus World. Though its always a challenge flying anywhere with three young children, youre pleased to discover that between Portland and Orlando theres a single daily one stop direct flight. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stops.
Routing via DEN verified. Not UA or Frontier Horizon

Continental, MD-80

Alas, the airline was not Continental and the aircraft was not an MD80. You were much closer on an earlier guess...

17. (1989) Youve got some old air miles sitting around in your frequent flyer account and youve just received notice from the airline that theyre due to expire in three months. From your home in Seattle, youve got just enough miles for a domestic roundtrip within the continental U.S., so a ski vacation in Utah on the powdery slopes of Alta might be nice. Unfortunately, your airline doesnt fly nonstop from Seattle to Salt Lake, but it does offer a single daily one-stop direct flight. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the intermediate stop.

Let's start with United, running a 727-200 via San Francisco (SFO)

An extremely plausible guess, one that may have been realistic in a different time, but no - it wasn't United. On a side note, back in September of 1979 I flew United nonstop between Salt Lake and Seattle aboard a 727-100 (Ship N7001U no less, the prototype 727!!!) Additionally, the aircraft was not a 727-200. I'm sure I speak for many when I say we look forward to your next guess!
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Good call, Bluehen1! I'll add them to the list. So, by my count we're missing just one more state capital. It sits on a major waterway...

Important Note:

Augusta, ME Correct!
Concord, NH Correct!
Montpelier, VT Correct!
Dover, DE Correct!
Annapolis, MD Correct!
Frankfort, KY Correct!
Topeka, KS Correct!
Carson City, NV Correct!
Olympia, WA Correct!
Salem, OR Incorrect!
Lincoln, NE Incorrect!
Trenton, NJ Correct!
Santa Fe, NM Correct!
Okay, so sitting on a major waterway being a capital leaves me with a few choices but the only one that would seem to be reasonably right is St. Paul MN
Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Bonus question update

Important Note:
The only thing we're still missing is what aircraft type TWA served Harrisburg with

Augusta, ME Correct!
Concord, NH Correct!
Montpelier, VT Correct!
Dover, DE Correct!
Annapolis, MD Correct!
Frankfort, KY Correct!
Topeka, KS Correct!
Carson City, NV Correct!
Olympia, WA Correct!
Harrisburg, PA Incorrect! AL D9S is Correct. TWA also served MDT with a jet, but not a DC9
Salem, OR Incorrect! UA 73S is Correct
Jefferson City, MO Correct! (Jefferson City does have its own airport, but was served commercially through Columbia, MO (COU). Thanks to jrl767 for this update
Lincoln, NE Incorrect! FL 73S and United 727 & 73S are Correct.
Trenton, NJ Correct!
Santa Fe, NM Correct!
St. Paul, MN Correct!

All we need to finish this question off is the aircraft type TWA flew into Harrisburg. Good luck, men!

ADDITIONAL BONUS QUESTION!!! Of the above state capitals listed that DID NOT receive jet service in 1970, which ones went on to later be served by jets? Identify the capital, the airline(s) and the aircraft type(s)

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 30, 2020 at 5:40 pm
Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

MDT: I certainly can't place AA, BN, CO, DL, EA, MO, or UA there, so that leaves TWA with a DC-9-10

TWA is correct, however the aircraft type was not a DC-9-10. Since there are a couple other plausible possibilities, I'll leave this one open.

LNK: Both FL and UA operated the 727-100, but I think you would have been more likely to see an ArrowJet than a Mainliner

Actually, I would agree with you and I would've been wrong. Since the correct answer is now so glaringly obvious, I'll go ahead and close LNK out. UA 727 is the plane we're looking for.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bluehen1

Important Note
: We're still missing ONE state whose capital did not have jet service per my 1970 OAG

Okay, so sitting on a major waterway being a capital leaves me with a few choices but the only one that would seem to be reasonably right is St. Paul MN

Right on, Bluehen. That's the one we're looking for!

See post 18611 for updated Bonus Question answers.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

12. (1985) This is the year you finally take the family to Disney World! Disneyland is closer to your home in Portland, Oregon but Orlando also offers SeaWorld, Baseball World and Circus World. Though it’s always a challenge flying anywhere with three young children, you’re pleased to discover that between Portland and Orlando there’s a single daily one stop direct flight. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stops.
Routing via DEN verified. Not UA or Frontier Horizon
12- Continental, MD-80
Alas, the airline was not Continental and the aircraft was not an MD80. You were much closer on an earlier guess...
12- well, dang, gotta be plain ol' ordinary Frontier, which means a 737-200, which imo means it would feel like a very LOOOOOOOONG day

17. (1989) You’ve got some old air miles sitting around in your frequent flyer account and you’ve just received notice from the airline that they’re due to expire in three months. From your home in Seattle, you’ve got just enough miles for a domestic roundtrip within the continental U.S., so a ski vacation in Utah on the powdery slopes of Alta might be nice. Unfortunately, your airline doesn’t fly nonstop from Seattle to Salt Lake, but it does offer a single daily one-stop direct flight. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the intermediate stop.
17- let's start with United, running a 727-200 via San Francisco (SFO)
​​​
An extremely plausible guess, one that may have been realistic in a different time, but no - it wasn't United. On a side note, back in September of 1979 I flew United nonstop between Salt Lake and Seattle aboard a 727-100 (Ship N7001U no less, the prototype 727!!!) Additionally, the aircraft was not a 727-200. I'm sure I speak for many when I say we look forward to your next guess!
17- Alaska (Horizon) operated 37-seat de Havilland DHC-8 turboprops between SEA and Sun Valley (SUN), and I'm pretty sure they also ran SUN-SLC in ski season ... "daily" strikes me as odd, but there's nothing odd about this sort of question and answer here
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

12. (1985) This is the year you finally take the family to Disney World! Disneyland is closer to your home in Portland, Oregon but Orlando also offers SeaWorld, Baseball World and Circus World. Though its always a challenge flying anywhere with three young children, youre pleased to discover that between Portland and Orlando theres a single daily one stop direct flight. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stops.
Routing via DEN verified. Not UA or Frontier Horizon or CO

Well, dang, gotta be plain ol' ordinary Frontier, which means a 737-200, which imo means it would feel like a very LOOOOOOOONG day

Frontier with a 737-200 is correct! DEN-MCO at 1540 miles would have to have been one of the longer 737-200 flights out there, though right up to the People Express takeover, Frontier's 737s retained the quality seat pitch for which the airline was well known.Frontier FL 176 Portland (PDX) 630a-956a B Denver (DEN) 1040a-411p L Orlando (MCO) 737-200 Daily

17. (1989) Youve got some old air miles sitting around in your frequent flyer account and youve just received notice from the airline that theyre due to expire in three months. From your home in Seattle, youve got just enough miles for a domestic roundtrip within the continental U.S., so a ski vacation in Utah on the powdery slopes of Alta might be nice. Unfortunately, your airline doesnt fly nonstop from Seattle to Salt Lake, but it does offer a single daily one-stop direct flight. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the intermediate stop.
Alaska (Horizon) operated 37-seat de Havilland DHC-8 turboprops between SEA and Sun Valley (SUN), and I'm pretty sure they also ran SUN-SLC in ski season ... "daily" strikes me as odd, but there's nothing odd about this sort of question and answer here

You're right about that, J, and Horizon Air with the Dash 8 is a very reasonable guess. Unfortunately, it's not the correct answer though. The airline we're looking for operated a jet with a First Class cabin, making a brief stop at a hub airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.