Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Continental and we know it was not IAH-SEA or CLE-SFO. I will go with CLE-LAX then.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I could be mistaken, but I sure don’t remember many CO MadDogs at LAX ... how about BOS-DEN
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Herb687
Continental and we know it was not IAH-SEA or CLE-SFO. I will go with CLE-LAX then.

That's the ticket. One daily westbound flight...

Continental CO 459 Cleveland (CLE) 930a-1140a L Los Angeles (LAX)

2050 Miles
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
well I was obviously wrong on the MD-80 question, so lets give this one a go
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
1. (1985) Youve been reassigned to Naval Station Norfolk, the world's largest naval station. Youll be working the tower at the adjacent Chambers Field where Air Operations conducts over 100,000 flight operations each year. It should be an exciting assignment. Now then, how to get to Norfolk from your home in Santa Monica, CA Ah, whats this? Theres a direct one stop flight into ORF departing Los Angeles every morning. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft and the single enroute stop.
1- about the only one that comes to mind for something other than the historical TCON operators is Piedmont, probably operating a 727-200 via Charlotte
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
1. (1985) Youve been reassigned to Naval Station Norfolk, the world's largest naval station. Youll be working the tower at the adjacent Chambers Field where Air Operations conducts over 100,000 flight operations each year. It should be an exciting assignment. Now then, how to get to Norfolk from your home in Santa Monica, CA Ah, whats this? Theres a direct one stop flight into ORF departing Los Angeles every morning. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft and the single enroute stop.

About the only one that comes to mind for something other than the historical TCON operators is Piedmont, probably operating a 727-200 via Charlotte.

I like it, and, well, you've got the aircraft right but we're looking for a different airline and routing here. Please, guess again!
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
In 1985 I think the legacy three would have been all widebody or DC-8 from their primary hubs to LAX. So if it's a 727 maybe a secondary hub like CVG?
I will guess a Delta 722 ORF-CVG-LAX.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

1. (1985) You’ve been reassigned to Naval Station Norfolk, the world's largest naval station. You’ll be working the tower at the adjacent Chambers Field where Air Operations conducts over 100,000 flight operations each year. It should be an exciting assignment. Now then, how to get to Norfolk from your home in Santa Monica, CA… Ah, what’s this? There’s a direct one stop flight into ORF departing Los Angeles every morning. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft and the single enroute stop.

In 1985 I think the legacy three would have been all widebody or DC-8 from their primary hubs to LAX. So if it's a 727 maybe a secondary hub like CVG? I will guess a Delta 722 ORF-CVG-LAX.

Another good guess Herb, but nope - it wasn't Delta through any of their hubs either. I do look forward to your next guess though!
Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
In 1985 I think the legacy three would have been all widebody or DC-8 from their primary hubs to LAX. So if it's a 727 maybe a secondary hub like CVG?
I will guess a Delta 722 ORF-CVG-LAX.
You are departing LA and arriving in Norfolk. The 727-200 had a maximum range of more or less 2500 miles so I'm thinking maybe TWA through MCI
Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teddybear99

You are departing LA and arriving in Norfolk. The 727-200 had a maximum range of more or less 2500 miles so I'm thinking maybe TWA through MCI

Another good guess, although by 1985 I'm thinking any TWA service nonstop to Norfolk would likely have been out of St. Louis. But hey - what do I know? Well, I do know that unfortunately TWA is not the airline we're looking for here. I will say that the airline in question is a major carrier, not a post deregulation start-up.

Please, deposit another quarter and guess again!
Old Apr 18, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I'm going to guess US Air via PIT
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OskiBear

I'm going to guess US Air via PIT

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner! US Air via PIT is correct! Here's the schedule:

US Air AL 28 Los Angeles (LAX) 810p-325p B Pittsburgh (PIT) 420p-528p Norfolk (ORF) 727-200 Daily

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 18, 2020 at 2:21 pm
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And now let's sit back and see what jrl767's got in store for us...

Take it away, J !

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 18, 2020 at 2:10 pm
Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

we are masked up and headed to the grocery store, so I will post my six 1983 “fill-in-the-blank” questions when we get back home
Old Apr 18, 2020, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

better late than later ...

1983 “fill-in-the-gap” questions

34A: ANSWERED Friends have talked you into joining them for a long weekend of hiking near Pyramid Lake. Given the spur-of-the-moment nature of the trip, you’re not surprised to find the only direct flight to Reno from Atlanta is sold out. You’ll limit yourself to one airline and one connection, but you decide to cover as much distance as possible on a single jet. This means you’ll have one multi-stop flight, and a connecting point that’s not on a normal ATL-RNO routing.

Please identify the airline, all stops in order including the connecting point, and the two types of aircraft involved.

ATL-MCO EA AB3
MCO-IAH-LAS-RNO EA 72S

35A: ANSWERED There are dozens of possible flight combinations from Hartford’s Bradley International Airport (BDL) to the San Francisco Bay area, but if you’re interested in a wide-body flight into either Oakland or San Jose, you have exactly one option for each. Actually, it’s possible to travel entirely on wide-bodies, but neither routing is particularly convenient.
(1) BDL-XXX-OAK involves two airlines and a 10-hour layover.
(2) BDL-YYY-ZZZ-SJC involves a third airline and an online connection at YYY, followed by a 32-minute connection to yet another airline at ZZZ. Luckily that airport is small enough to where you shouldn’t have a problem getting between concourses.

As usual, we’re looking for each airline, equipment type, and connecting city, as well as other relevant information about any or all of the flights.

(1) BDL-EWR-OAK: EA AB3, WO D10
(2) BDL-ORD-CLE-(STL)-SJC: UA D10, UA 767, TW 767

36A: Well now! Here’s a very unusual morning flight from Chicago to San Francisco — it makes six stops, and it also involves a change of gauge! Since your final destination is Los Angeles, you’re glad to see you can also ignore the usual flights on 727s, 737s, and MD-80s for the final leg to LAX. A 30-minute connection to a different airline can be a risky proposition at SFO, but the forecast for Monday afternoon leads you to believe you can catch a wide-body departure that's traditionally been an easy upgrade for a walk-up passenger. If you don’t make it, another airline offers three flights — all on the same jet that until recently hasn’t been a common sight in California — in a 30-minute period starting an hour later. And if none of those pan out, you’ll have time for a drink or two with a leisurely dinner before a flight on a wide-body type not often seen on domestic routes.

The usual suspects please: the airline for the first flight, the departure airport in the Chicago area, all intermediate stops in order, and the airport where the change of gauge occurs; also, all candidate airlines and equipment types for the SFO-LAX segment.

37A: ANSWEREDNow you’re headed to a project kickoff in Galveston. Oops, not so fast ... after returning your rental car at Knoxville‘s McGhee Tyson airport, you notice the dreaded “See Agent” notation on the departures board line for your 410pm flight, as well as the next two for your connecting city. The counter agent says severe thunderstorms will cause rolling delays for the rest of the afternoon and evening, and offers you a routing through a different airport at 642pm that will put you into Houston at midnight. Once again, your pocket OAG comes to the rescue, revealing a 715pm connection on a different airline that arrives at 930pm, and the agent quickly endorses your ticket over.

We’re looking for the original airline, the original and alternate connecting cities, and the two equipment types (each routing involved the same aircraft on both legs). More importantly, we’re also looking for the other airline, the connecting city, and the two different aircraft types involved on the routing you’ll actually fly (a bonus point for relevant airport information as well).

as-booked: TYS-ATL-IAH is a pair of DL L10s

alternate: TYS-CVG-IAH is a pair of DL 72Ss

as-flown: TYS-MEM-HOU is Republic Airlines, DC9 and D9S

38A: ANSWERED You’ve arranged to rendezvous with a colleague for an early afternoon scenic flight to Grand Canyon before a dinner meeting in Boulder City. There’s a 1040am nonstop from SJC that lands at LAS at 1155am, but what’s the fun in that? Hmmmmm ... here’s a 733am departure that starts an intriguing three-segment itinerary featuring aircraft with two, three, and four engines. Can you change airlines at a major airport in 36 minutes? Sure; then you’ll spend about that much time in the air on the second segment, and you’ll still arrive into LAS at noon.

Please identify the airline and equipment on the nonstop, as well as the two connecting cities, three airlines, and three
equipment types on your less direct route.
SJC-SFO is a TWA 727-200
SFO-RNO is a United DC-8-61
RNO-LAS is a Pacific Express BAC One-Eleven

39A: ANSWERED Oh, those summer afternoon thunderstorms again! You and your partners are finalizing things at the project office in Quakertown so you can support the next day’s 7am client meeting in Loveland. A bit after 330pm, you get a message that your 615pm departure from Philadelphia has been delayed to where you’ll miss the last scheduled shuttle van trip from Denver’s Stapleton International to Fort Collins. The thought of a 70-some-mile late-night drive after four hours in that comfy first-class seat and an 11pm arrival is really unappealing, as is the thought of having to make it after a 430am hotel wakeup. No worries, though; your well-worn Pocket OAG reveals a 5pm connection that actually gets you into DEN a few minutes earlier than the nonstop.

We’re looking for the airline and equipment for the original flight; also the airline, routing, and equipment types that you’ll actually be taking.

Original flight: PHL-DEN, UA 767
Actual flights: ABE-PIT-DEN, AL 73S and 72S

Last edited by jrl767; Apr 26, 2020 at 11:47 pm Reason: answer updates
Old Apr 20, 2020, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
1983 fill-in-the-gap questions

39A: Oh, those summer afternoon thunderstorms again! You and your partners are finalizing things at the project office in Quakertown so you can support the next days 7am client meeting in Loveland. A bit after 330pm, you get a message that your 615pm departure from Philadelphia has been delayed to where youll miss the last scheduled shuttle van trip from Denvers Stapleton International to Fort Collins. The thought of a 70-some-mile late-night drive after four hours in that comfy first-class seat and an 11pm arrival is really unappealing, as is the thought of having to make it after a 430am hotel wakeup. No worries, though; your well-worn Pocket OAG reveals a 5pm connection that actually gets you into DEN a few minutes earlier than the nonstop.

Were looking for the airline and equipment for the original flight; also the airline, routing, and equipment types that youll actually be taking.
I seem to remember PHL-DEN being an early route for UA's 767s so depending on when in 1983 this happened, the delayed PHL-DEN nonstop could have been a UA 767. As a bonus, was the delayed nonstop I won't be taking flight 629? (I did not look this up. I just remember UA629 as a PHL-DEN flight number. There are some flight numbers I will always remember i.e. UA 32/33 SFO-PHL-SFO, UA 98/99 LAX-PHL-LAX. UA22 SFO-JFK, AA21 JFK-LAX, etc.)

Anyway, as for the alternate connecting flight instead of the delayed nonstop, it would have had to have been a pretty efficient routing with a 5pm departure and arrival around 8pm or so (assuming nonstop would be about a 4 hour block time). Let me guess that the backup plan is Delta via CVG with 727-200s operating both PHL-CVG and CVG-DEN.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.