Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by jlemon
39. Ozark with a DC9-30 is correct and the flight did stop at St. Louis and Indianapolis. However, the first stop wasn't Kansas City so please guess again, sir!
Well, Denver would be too short of a flight for breakfast (at about 3 am MST) so I will go with Omaha.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Herb687
Well, Denver would be too short of a flight for breakfast (at about 3 am MST) so I will go with Omaha.
39. Omaha it is. Here's the sched....

OZ 770: Las Vegas (LAS) 1:00a - 5:30a Omaha (OMA) 6:00a - 7:00a St. Louis (STL) 9:45a - 10:35a Indianapolis (IND) 10:57a - 1:25p Philadelphia (PHL)
Freq: Daily except Wednesdays LAS-STL, daily except Sundays STL-PHL
Service class: S
Meal services: Breakfast LAS-OMA, Lunch IND-PHL
Equip: D9S
Old Apr 15, 2020, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
knowing there was 2+45 ground time in STL, I would have willingly slept through the inflight service LAS-OMA
Old Apr 16, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
26. If you wanted to fly on board a Douglas DC-6 from Anchorage (ANC) in 1976, there was only one airline to call and only one route served nonstop by this aircraft with the flight only operating once a week. Name the air carrier and the destination. PARTIALLY ANSWERED - the air carrier was Reeve Aleutian. Still looking for the destination served nonstop from Anchorage and the flight in question actually operated a "triangle" routing of ANC - ___ - ___ - ANC. Hint: the first stop was also served with Lockheed L-188 Electra and NAMC YS-11 aircraft by Reeve Aleutian.
Time to close this one out.....and here's the sched.

RV 55 / 56: Anchorage (ANC) 8:55a - 10:25a Cold Bay (CDB) 11:35a - 1:05p St. Paul Island (SNP) 1:50p - 5:40p Anchorage (ANC)
Freq: Wednesdays only
Service class: A
Meal services: Snack ANC-CDB & SNP-ANC
Equip: DC6 (aircraft may have been a DC-6B)
Note: Flight number change at SNP from RV 55 to RV 56

As mentioned, Reeve Aleutian was also operating Lockheed L-188 Electra nonstop service from Anchorage to Cold Bay at this time. The Electra service operated as RV 1 on Mondays and Thursdays and the flight was 25 minutes shorter in duration than the DC-6 service. Reeve would eventually operate Electra service nonstop between Cold Bay and Seattle. Other Reeve service at this time into Cold Bay included NAMC YS-11 flights from ANC twice a week with one flight making one stop at King Salmon and the other flight making three stops en route via King Salmon, Port Heiden and Sand Point plus nonstop and/or direct YS-11 flights from Cape Sarifchef, Dutch Harbor, Nikolski and Port Moller. And Reeve was also operating Grumman Goose amphibian flights into Cold Bay at this time with service from such exotic locations as Akuatan, Driftwood Bay, Dutch Harbor, False Pass and King Cove. So Cold Bay was a very small hub for Reeve Aleutian at this time.

Thanks for participating and I hope everyone continues to be well.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 16, 2020 at 11:23 am
Old Apr 16, 2020, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
So I've got some questions ready to go but I'm willing to defer to jrl767 should y'all prefer that. It's now Thursday at 2:35pm ADT. If I don't hear anything by 800pm ADT tonight, I'll go ahead and defer to jrl767.

In the meantime, here are three sample questions to ponder...

1. (1985) Youve been reassigned to Naval Station Norfolk, the world's largest naval station. Youll be working the tower at the adjacent Chambers Field where Air Operations conducts over 100,000 flight operations each year. It should be an exciting assignment. Now then, how to get to Norfolk from your home in Santa Monica, CA Ah, whats this? Theres a direct one stop flight into ORF departing Los Angeles every morning. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft and the single enroute stop.
A N S W E R E D

2. (1989) Per the schedules in the 1989 OAG I used to reference this question, .what is the longest MD-80 flight in the United States?
A N S W E R E D

3. (1979) Its winter in Minneapolis and, with yet another winter storm warning looming for this weekend, now seems like an excellent time to take advantage of the one and only direct flight between Minneapolis and Corpus Christi, Texas. Two enroute stops will be made but at least dinner and a snack will also be served along the way. Identify the usual triumvirate of airline, aircraft and routing.
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 20, 2020 at 2:25 am
Old Apr 16, 2020, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
2. (1989) Per the schedules in the 1989 OAG I used to reference this question, .what is the longest MD-80 flight in the United States?
Maybe AA ORD-SFO?
Old Apr 16, 2020, 5:06 pm

Alaska Airlines, ANC-LAX
Old Apr 16, 2020, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3. (1979) Its winter in Minneapolis and, with yet another winter storm warning looming for this weekend, now seems like an excellent time to take advantage of the one and only direct flight between Minneapolis and Corpus Christi, Texas. Two enroute stops will be made but at least dinner and a snack will also be served along the way. Identify the usual triumvirate of airline, aircraft and routing.
3. Well, I want to say this was Braniff International with a 727 via DFW and IAH.....but that might be too obvious.

So let's go with Eastern with a B727-200 via ATL and IAH.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
2. (1989) Per the schedules in the 1989 OAG that I used to reference this question, what is the longest MD-80 flight in the United States?

Maybe AA ORD-SFO?

Nope, longer than that. Please give it another go!
Old Apr 16, 2020, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KT550
2. (1989) Per the schedules in the 1989 OAG I used to reference this question, what is the longest MD-80 flight in the United States?

Alaska Airlines, ANC-LAX

A good guess, but no. There were no nonstops in this market - at least not per the time period covered by the OAG I referenced. Please, guess again!
Old Apr 16, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

3. (1979) It’s winter in Minneapolis and, with yet another winter storm warning looming for this weekend, now seems like an excellent time to take advantage of the one and only direct flight between Minneapolis and Corpus Christi, Texas. Two enroute stops will be made but at least dinner and a snack will also be served along the way. Identify the usual triumvirate of airline, aircraft and routing.

Well, I want to say this was Braniff International with a 727 via DFW and IAH.....but that might be too obvious.

So let's go with Eastern with a B727-200 via ATL and IAH.

Good choice. Eastern is correct! Here's the schedule...

Eastern EA 649 Minneapolis (MSP) 355p-704p D Atlanta (ATL) 820p-917p S Houston (IAH) 952p-1034p Corpus Christi (CRP)
Old Apr 16, 2020, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back to the longest MD-80 flight, maybe CO operating CLE-SFO.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
So I've got some questions ready to go but I'm willing to defer to jrl767 should y'all prefer that. It's now Thursday at 2:35pm ADT. If I don't hear anything by 800pm ADT tonight, I'll go ahead and post some new questions.
just finalizing the last story lines; thanks for letting me drop these into the mix

In the meantime ...
2. (1989) Per the schedules in the 1989 OAG I used to reference this question, .what is the longest MD-80 flight in the United States.
Ill vote for Continental, operating Houston (IAH) to Seattle (SEA)
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2. (1989) Per the schedules in the 1989 OAG I used to reference this question, what is the longest MD-80 flight in the United States?

Back to the longest MD-80 flight, maybe CO operating CLE-SFO.

Well, it was Continental, but it wasn't the CLE-SFO route... You're getting closer, though...
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
Just finalizing the last story lines; thanks for letting me drop these into the mix

No worries. I'll put mine on hold for 2-3 weeks until we finish with yours. Thanks for the submissions!

Ill vote for Continental, operating Houston (IAH) to Seattle (SEA)

You've got the right airline, but alas, it was not the IAH-SEA route. Please, guess again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.