Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2012, 6:30 am

Programs: All of them!
4) Omaha/Las Vegas 1983-- Ozark with D9S aircraft
Old Oct 21, 2012, 6:54 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
8) What airline offered "Snow Club" on board service during ski season in the western U.S.?
That was Frontier Airlines -- here's a clip from a 1971 timetable:
http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/fl7110.htm
Old Oct 21, 2012, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
11) The original Frontier Airlines joined the jet-age back in 1966 when the carrier initiated service with new Boeing 727-100 aircraft to ten (10) different destinations. Name all ten cities that received this new B727 service operated by FL.

Strictly a guess here on my part but let's go with

Phoenix
Tucson
Albuquerque
Grand Junction
Las Vegas
Colorado Springs
Kansas City
Dallas
Oklahoma City
Lincoln
Old Oct 21, 2012, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
Sorry I haven't been here much lately been busy with my new short-term job. Here's a few.

1. Continental Airlines DC-9 service.

4. Ozark Airlines DC-9 service. Just 3 years later they'd be part of TWA.

6. Wouldn't this one be Northeast International Airways with a DC-8????

12. Cheyenne (This would have been a REALLY REALLY short CYS-DEN flight, did you ever fly it Seat 2A?), Casper (in 1983 a Frontier 737 landed w/o it's landing gear down) http://fyv.tripod.com/FL_737CPRincident.jpg , Riverton, Jackson, Laramie & Cody

13. Billings, Bozeman, Kalispell, Great Falls, Missoula, Miles City & Butte.

Dinner must be ready since the Dog is going postal & just got a call from my boss saying I may not have to go in tomorrow
1) Correct! It was good old CO with a DC-9-30. I believe the routing with the D9S was BFL-LAS-IAH.

4) Correct again! OZ flew OMA-LAS nonstop with a DC-9-30 daily except on Tuesdays.

6) Northeastern International (QS) is correct! However, the equipment was a Boeing 727-100.....but QS did operate DC-8s on other routes as well.

12) The six (6) destinations in Wyoming served by Frontier with Boeing 737-200 jet service were....

Casper (CPR) - BTW, WA operated the 73S into CPR back in the day....

Cheyenne (CYS) - BTW, WA flew the 73S into CYS at one point as well.....

Jackson (JAC)

Laramie (LAR)

Riverton (RIW)

Rock Springs (RKS)

So you did pretty well with your answers!

13) The seven (7) cities in Montana served by Frontier with the B737-200 were.....

Billings (BIL)

Bozeman (BZN)

Great Falls (GTF)

Helena (HLN)

Kalispell (FCA)

Missoula (MSO)

West Yellowstone (WYS) - BTW, WA served WYS as well on a seasonal basis with the 73S at one point.....
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I'm gonna go with United on this, operating a 727-100
Ah, it was Ozark with a DC-9-30.......
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cs57
4) Omaha/Las Vegas 1983-- Ozark with D9S aircraft
Correct!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
That was Frontier Airlines -- here's a clip from a 1971 timetable:
http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/fl7110.htm
Correct! And thanks for the link!

I'll also venture the observation that the irish coffee and the blonde lady enjoying it were both "out of sight"! Those were the days, folks!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

11) The original Frontier Airlines joined the jet-age back in 1966 when the carrier initiated service with new Boeing 727-100 aircraft to ten (10) different destinations. Name all ten cities that received this new B727 service operated by FL.

Strictly a guess here on my part but let's go with

Phoenix
Tucson
Albuquerque
Grand Junction
Las Vegas
Colorado Springs
Kansas City
Dallas
Oklahoma City
Lincoln
Excellent guesses, sir!

Well, there were actually eleven (11) initial destinations served by Frontier with their new B727-100 aircraft.....

Albuquerque (ABQ)
Colorado Springs (COS)
Denver (DEN) - always the primary hub for the original FL, of course.....
El Paso (ELP)
Grand Junction (GJT)
Lincoln (LNK)
Kansas City (MKC) - the old airport.....
Phoenix (PHX)
Salt Lake City (SLC)
St. Louis (STL)
Tucson (TUS)

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 21, 2012 at 1:30 pm Reason: I forgot ELP!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's some additional information concerning Frontier's then new Boeing 727-100 service.....

FL was flying the 727 on the following daily routings:

DEN-ABQ-TUS-PHX-COS-DEN

DEN-COS-PHX-TUS-ABQ-DEN

STL-DEN-GJT-SLC (two round trips per day)

STL-MKC-DEN-GJT-SLC (one round trip)

STL-MKC-DEN-ABQ-ELP (one round trip)

STL-MKC-LNK-DEN (one round trip)

STL-MKC-DEN (one round trip)

So FL was operating four (4) daily round trip flights with the B727-100 STL-MKC and was also operating several additional flights between these two cities with Convair 580 and 600 turboprops. The CV-600 aircraft were formerly operated by Central Airlines which Frontier had acquired.

Braniff International Airways was active as well in the STL-MKC market at this time with flights operated with BAC One-Eleven and Convair recips (which I think were CV-340 aircraft although there may have been a CV-440 in the mix as well).....and there was also a daily Continental Airlines Vickers Viscount round trip flying STL-MKC that was operated by Braniff as part of a BN/CO code share route STL-MKC-DEN.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
LSU did pull it out!

Now for my excuses for the poor answers: How quickly schedules change. I was using a January 1983 OAG (assuming incorrectly that it was close enough to summer) for the answers to 2 and 3 -- Republic and Air Nevada (LW) operated nonstops between LAS and PSP, but LW was using Cessnas.
For the OKC-LAS route DL had a one-stop at DFW, and I guessed they improved the service to non-stop -- but obviously was wrong.

Number 9: Time Air was certainly the major carrier to serve Lethbridge for a long time, but later it and other carriers operating as Air Canada Express or Canadian Airlines Express also provided scheduled service. I'll try again with Air BC (ZX in 1987) operating as Air Canada Express, using a British Aerospace Jetsream 31. I might as well keep beating my head against this one. It might also be Air Georgian (currently ZX) or Integra Air, which also uses a J31 between YQL and YEG. Maybe this buckshot approach will hit something.

14) Another demonstration of the quick changes in schedule -- my source was the July 15, 1987 OAG for the AA flight ORD-TVL. So who else? How about AirCal (using 737-300S) before it was acquired by AA. I finally tracked down an AirCal timetqble for March 2, 1987 and found the answer -- ORD-SFO-SNA-TVL. I think I finally got it right. [oops -- I see cs57 already solved this one]

I will retire for the day, embarrassed and bruised, but not beaten, to look at some other questions.
And the Saints pulled it out this afternoon against Tampa! That was one heck of a game, folks!

Time to answer question 9), I think.....

And the largest turboprop ever to operate scheduled passenger service into Lethbridge, Alberta (YQL) was......the Vickers Viscount.

And the airline? Air Canada.

AC completely pulled their mainline service out of Lethbridge back around 1967. I believe the only route they were flying at the time was YQL-YYC.

However, a new airline quickly jumped into the breech with service between Lethbridge and Calgary: Lethbridge Air Service which then became Time Air.

In February of 1976, Time Air (KI) was flying eight (8) round trips every weekday YQL-YYC with a mix of Fokker F.27 and de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter turboprops.

By November of 1979, Time Air was operating ten (10) round trips every weekday YQL-YYC with a mix of Shorts 330 and DHC-6 Twin Otters.

In April of 1981, KI was flying nine (9) round trips every weekday YQL-YYC with a mix of de Havilland Canada DHC-7 Dash 7 and Shorts 330 turboprops.

By February of 1985, Time Air was down to five (5) round trips every weekday YQL-YYC with all Dash 7 service.

And in October of 1991, Time Air was now a "Canadian Partner" operator for Canadian Airlines using the CP code and flying four (4) round trips every weekday YQL-YYC with de Havilland Canada DHC-8 Dash 8 turboprops.....plus one flight a week on Friday afternoons with a Fokker F.28 Fellowship. There was also competition to contend with for the first time in many years: Air BC (ZX) was flying several round trips every weekday YQL-YYC with a mix of Dash 8 and BAe Jetstream 31 turboprops on behalf of Air Canada using the AC code.

I've always wondered why WestJet has never attempted to serve Lethbridge....however, perhaps they'll try to do so when they start operating their new Q400s under the "WestJet Encore" banner....

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 21, 2012 at 4:14 pm
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I believe these picture questions remain unanswered. Can you determine the aircraft type and the airline in each of the photographs below? In some cases the aircraft type will be obvious such as a 747 upstairs lounge, so the real test will be if you can recognize the airline. Those of us like myself who've flown upon these aircraft do have a bit of an advantage...

After a month on the road, I'll be back home next week and hope to have a few new questions out for those who might be interested. Of course, feel free to come up with your own questions if you like. For now at least, the big question facing myself and perhaps miniliq and jlemon is who will win the big game Sunday evening? Broncos are favored by six but with Brees' arm and our secondary, victory is hardly in the bag... Then again, our secondary is improving...

Happy contrails, all... My flight boards in twenty minutes. It's a beautiful day here in San Diego. I just flew in from Orlando and am bound for Seattle and Portland. Trip report to follow sometime in the next couple of weeks...

Question 26

Question 27

Question 28

Question 30

Question 33

Question 34

Question 35

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 28, 2012 at 8:51 pm
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I'll take a wild guess at image #35.....

This sure looks like Delta to me but I'm unsure of the equipment.....

Upper deck of a B747-100, perhaps?

BTW, I was able to receive a confirmed first class seat this morning with regard to an upcoming flight from IAH to LAX.

The airline is United and the aircraft is a brand new Boeing 787-8 "Dreamliner"! :-:

Needless to say, I'm very much looking forward to my first flight on this airplane!

And I should have some more quiz items by this weekend......
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:42 am

I believe these picture questions remain unanswered. Can you determine the aircraft type and the airline in each of the photographs below? In some cases the aircraft type will be obvious such as a 747 upstairs lounge, so the real test will be if you can recognize the airline. Those of us like myself who've flown upon these aircraft do have a bit of an advantage...

After a month on the road, I'll be back home next week and hope to have a few new questions out for those who might be interested. Of course, feel free to come up with your own questions if you like. For now at least, the big question facing myself and perhaps miniliq and jlemon is who will win the big game Sunday evening? Broncos are favored by six but with Brees' arm and our secondary, victory is hardly in the bag... Then again, our secondary is improving...

Happy contrails, all... My flight boards in twenty minutes. It's a beautiful day here in San Diego. I just flew in from Orlando and am bound for Seattle and Portland. Trip report to follow sometime in the next couple of weeks...

Question 27 Eastern Airlines L1011

Question 28 TWA B707-131B Coach Lounge

Question 30 United B747 1st Class Lounge

Question 33 Braniff B747 1st Class Lounge

Question 34 Continental B747 1st Class Lounge
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Right on, Mr. Roboto! You got them all right!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
BTW, I was able to receive a confirmed first class seat this morning with regard to an upcoming flight from IAH to LAX.

The airline is United and the aircraft is a brand new Boeing 787-8 "Dreamliner"! :-: Needless to say, I'm very much looking forward to my first flight on this airplane!
Congratulations, Mr. Lemon! I hope you have a great flight on this exciting new airplane. I hope to log my first in Business aboard LAN sometime next year...

Well, I'll take a wild guess at image #35..... This sure looks like Delta to me but I'm unsure of the equipment..... Upper deck of a B747-100, perhaps?
Well... Delta did operate the aircraft type in that photo at one time, but it wasn't a 747 (You may recall Delta's upper deck was divided into a public lounge and a private penthouse) and the airline in #35 is not Delta. This information alone mmight provide enough hints for you to figure out the answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.