Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
(1968) 16. If you wanted to fly direct from Chicago Midway (MDW) to Baltimore (BAL) on an evening flight with only one stop en route, what airline would you call and what type of equipment would you be flying on board? And here's a hint: the aircraft in question was configured with an all coach cabin. Please be sure to include the location of the stop with your answer.
16- my first inclination was to say United, but their only single-cabin jets were the all-F Caravelle and a handful of all-Y 727-200s dedicated to West Coast routes; as far as other operators of all-coach jets, neither Mohawk (BAC 1-11) nor Piedmont (737-200) brought them into BAL, and Allegheny's DC-9-30s wouldn't show up in Chicago at all until after the Lake Central acquisition in 1969 ... so this process of elimination says the subject aircraft was a TWA DC-9-10, and I'll guess that the intermediate stop was in Dayton (DAY)

(1968) 18. From Lubbock you've driven north with a business colleague on brand new Interstate 27 to Amarillo for a follow up meeting. Now you need to fly from Amarillo (AMA) to Memphis (MEM). Ah, here's a daily milk run flight which makes four stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all four stops and the aircraft.
18- this sounds suspiciously like the Braniff portion of the longstanding Denver-to-Atlanta interchange ... the Electra would have stopped at Oklahoma City (OKC), Tulsa (TUL), Fort Smith (FSM), and Little Rock (LIT) before continuing on to Atlanta on the EA-operated segment

that said, though, I'll be surprised if this is the right answer, as I doubt the arrangement was still extant in 1968
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:32 pm

I haven't read the first 1212 pages so I may be in the wrong forum. Checking todays load factors on United reminds me of my trips when National Airlines began flying the DC-10's from Houston to LAX with a stopover in LAS for and extra $1. Wide body cabins were a new experience to me and they were wide open with very few travelers for the first few months. And the Continental DC-10 lounges were pure joy. I think National was acquired by Pan Am and then capuk. I was fortunate enough to fly on National on their route from LHR to MIA and most destinations out of IAH before their demise. Anyone else remember the Orange Juice specials lol?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
16- my first inclination was to say United, but their only single-cabin jets were the all-F Caravelle and a handful of all-Y 727-200s dedicated to West Coast routes; as far as other operators of all-coach jets, neither Mohawk (BAC 1-11) nor Piedmont (737-200) brought them into BAL, and Allegheny's DC-9-30s wouldn't show up in Chicago at all until after the Lake Central acquisition in 1969 ... so this process of elimination says the subject aircraft was a TWA DC-9-10, and I'll guess that the intermediate stop was in Dayton (DAY)

18- this sounds suspiciously like the Braniff portion of the longstanding Denver-to-Atlanta interchange ... the Electra would have stopped at Oklahoma City (OKC), Tulsa (TUL), Fort Smith (FSM), and Little Rock (LIT) before continuing on to Atlanta on the EA-operated segment

that said, though, I'll be surprised if this is the right answer, as I doubt the arrangement was still extant in 1968
16. All correct except for the stop!

18. The Braniff-Eastern interchange route between Denver and the southeast U.S. was still around in 1968 with Memphis still being the interchange point.....however, it had far less stops and had also been expanded to Miami. Here's the sched....

BN/EA 981: Denver (DEN) 10:00a - 12:57p Memphis (MEM) 1:30p - 3:30p Atlanta (ATL) 4:20p - 5:53p Miami (MIA)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Lunch DEN-MEM, Snack in F only ATL-MIA
Equip: 727

So Braniff is correct and was operating the flight on the routing you have described but not as an interchange service.....and not with an Electra.

We await the tap-ins on both.......
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by TEBraniff
I haven't read the first 1212 pages so I may be in the wrong forum. Checking todays load factors on United reminds me of my trips when National Airlines began flying the DC-10's from Houston to LAX with a stopover in LAS for and extra $1. Wide body cabins were a new experience to me and they were wide open with very few travelers for the first few months. And the Continental DC-10 lounges were pure joy. I think National was acquired by Pan Am and then capuk. I was fortunate enough to fly on National on their route from LHR to MIA and most destinations out of IAH before their demise. Anyone else remember the Orange Juice specials lol?
Yep! And I also remember National DC-8 and Electra aircraft at Houston Hobby before Intercontinental opened in 1969 as our family was living in the Clear Lake area at that time.

NA was indeed acquired by PA and the rest is history. I had the opportunity to fly on board National Super DC-8-61 as well as DC-10 aircraft out of IAH.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
16- there are at least three candidates, but in keeping with Seat 2A's rules of engagement I'll only guess one at this time ... how about Indianapolis (IND)

18- this one is a tap-in ... BAC 1-11
Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

16- there are at least three candidates, but in keeping with Seat 2A's rules of engagement I'll only guess one at this time ... how about Indianapolis (IND)

18- this one is a tap-in ... BAC 1-11
16. Nope! Please guess again!

18. Yep! Here's the sched.....

BN 367: Amarillo (AMA) 10:15a - 11:05a Oklahoma City (OKC) 11:20a - 11:51a Tulsa (TUL) 12:10p - 12:42p Fort Smith (FSM) 12:57p - 1:29p Little Rock (LIT) 1:45p - 2:17p Memphis (MEM)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: None
Equip: JET One-11

BTW, Braniff International only flew this service in one direction specifically with regard to Amarillo as the return flight was operated MEM-LIT-FSM-TUL-OKC-DAL with the One-Eleven.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

16- moving eastward from IND, we have Louisville (SDF) and Cincinnati (CVG), but I don't recall eastbound TW service from either to anywhere besides New York ... DAY has been eliminated already, so the next city to the east is Columbus (CMH) ... that would certainly be viable for a flight into Washington National (DCA) (having taken TW jets in one or the other direction on that route half a dozen or so times in the 1984-1995 timeframe); as we're talking about an evening operation, though, DCA's jet curfew might have dictated running this trip into BAL ... so for now I'll stick with the state capital, figuring it's a simple tap-in if I'm wrong
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

back to shared model nomenclature ... are you going to accept numbers?
"2000" BMW (mid 60s / early 70s) and Saab

technically "340" also works for Saab and BMW if you disregard letters before (SF) and after (i)

Last edited by jrl767; Mar 27, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
back to shared model nomenclature ... are you going to accept numbers?
"2000" BMW (mid 60s / early 70s) and Saab
I thought it was the 2002, unless that came later.

Add a British pair
Meteor Rover & Gloster (latter was the only allied power jet to have seen combat service in WW-II).

Have we added
Arrow - Avro Canada and Plymouth yet?
KT550 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

16- moving eastward from IND, we have Louisville (SDF) and Cincinnati (CVG), but I don't recall eastbound TW service from either to anywhere besides New York ... DAY has been eliminated already, so the next city to the east is Columbus (CMH) ... that would certainly be viable for a flight into Washington National (DCA) (having taken TW jets in one or the other direction on that route half a dozen or so times in the 1984-1995 timeframe); as we're talking about an evening operation, though, DCA's jet curfew might have dictated running this trip into BAL ... so for now I'll stick with the state capital, figuring it's a simple tap-in if I'm wrong
16. Yep! Here's the sched....

TW 516: Chicago Midway (MDW) 6:55p - 8:46p Columbus (CMH) 9:15p - 10:14p Baltimore (BAL)
Freq: Daily except Saturdays
Service class: Y
Meal service: None
Equip: DC9
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please limit your response to two (2) quiz items per day so that all may participate. As always, we are looking for complete answers. Thanks!

1. It's 1956 and you are in Pittsburgh (PIT). You need to travel to Miami (MIA) and have found a direct flight that makes two stops. This service is also an interchange flight operated jointly by two different air carriers. The flight operated by the first airline from PIT operates nonstop to the interchange point while the continuing flight operated by the second airline makes one intermediate stop before arriving into MIA. Identify both air carriers, the airport which is the interchange point, the intermediate stop before MIA and the equipment.

2. What year did Continental Airlines begin operating its Vickers Viscount 812 aircraft and how many of this type was CO operating by the following year?

A two part question.....

3A. What U.S. air carrier was the first to order the Lockheed L-188 Electra and how many did they initially order? ANSWERED

3B. The air carrier in question above operated its new Electra aircraft in two class configuration. How many seats were there in first class and how many seats were there in coach on these airplanes?

4. In 1958, this airline was operating a daily round trip service it called "The Southernaire" from the New York City area. This flight operated nonstop to a city in the southern U.S. and then continued on to another southern U.S. city where the aircraft then remained overnight (RON). The service then departed northbound the next morning on a reverse routing back to New York. Identify the air carrier, the airport served by this flight in the New York area, the two cities it served in the south and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

7. Name the airline that ran this print ad in 1959:

SOON.......___(air carrier)___ JET POWER ELECTRA. Electra flight is the ultimate in travel comfort! You'll enjoy the utmost in relaxing quiet, panoramic views, and complete freedom from vibration. Cruising at almost 7 miles a minute, ___(air carrier's)___ELECTRA takes you farther faster....and gets you there "flight fresh".

20. Now it's 1969 and you are in Long Beach where you have not only visited a classic ocean liner that is permanently docked but also a very large seaplane on static display. You receive a message from friends who are in the Lake Tahoe area on a skiing trip: "Come on up! Conditions are excellent!" Well, why not....and you find there's a direct flight from Long Beach (LGB) to Lake Tahoe (TVL) which makes three stops en route but only operates once a week arriving into TVL just before lunch time which fits your schedule perfectly. And most fortunately, the day you need to travel is the day this flight operates. Name the airline, all three stops and the equipment. ANSWERED

23. It's 1970 and you are back in New Orleans. Now you are heading down to Panama and have found a flight which operates twice a week and makes three stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all three stops and the aircraft. Pan Am with a 727. The first stop was Merida and the third stop was Managua. Still looking for the second stop which wasn't Guatemala City.

25. You are in Sydney and it's 1972. You are booked in first class on a flight to London which will make six stops en route and also has an interesting flight number change from flight 785 to flight 785A at one of the stops. This particular flight operates this specific routing only once a week on Fridays. Identify the air carrier, all six stops in order and the aircraft. ANSWERED
Still looking for responses for the above..... and once they are answered, I shall then submit a follow-on set of new quiz items concerning the 1970's and 1980's.....

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 31, 2020 at 10:58 am Reason: answer updates
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I thought it was the 2002, unless that came later.....
I believe you are correct. And the BMW 2002 was an iconic sports sedan.....
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the photo is of a 1965 BMW 2000CS ... of course I found it on the internet, so have to take its veracity with a grain of salt ...

as long as I opened the door to numbers, though, Cessna and Airbus are well represented in both the Mercedes and BMW lines, from the 150 to the 380

Last edited by jrl767; Mar 28, 2020 at 10:50 am
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4. In 1958, this airline was operating a daily round trip service it called "The Southernaire" from the New York City area. This flight operated nonstop to a city in the southern U.S. and then continued on to another southern U.S. city where the aircraft then remained overnight (RON). The service then departed northbound the next morning on a reverse routing back to New York. Identify the air carrier, the airport served by this flight in the New York area, the two cities it served in the south and the aircraft type.
4- in mentally revisiting similar questions about “named” flights of this era, I can only associate a few airlines with the practice, and one of those (United) wasn’t flying to any southern states from NYC ... “Southernaire” doesn’t sound like anything that National would have chosen (iirc they favored monikers like “Flamingo”), so I’m going to guess that the operator was Capital Airlines ... which certainly implies that the aircraft was a Viscount

as for the route, perhaps Newark (EWR) - Birmingham (BHM) - New Orleans (MSY)
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the photo is of a 1965 BMW 2000CS ... of course I found it on the internet, so have to take its veracity with a grain of salt ...
Ah, I believe you are right and there indeed was a 1965 BMW 2000CS.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.