Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I didn't realise the Speedbird was that old.
Although the "proper" Speedbird logo was removed from BA aircraft, when the London Underground was extended out to Heathrow in the 1970s the new stations along the line had the Speedbird incorporated quite prominently in their tile work. If you look out when riding along the line, you will see it up and down the platforms.

https://150greatthingsabouttheunderg...-hatton-cross/
jlemon likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
76. (1959) Your upcoming flight next week between San Diego and San Antonio is marketed as the “Silver Arrow” It’s actually an interchange flight with a change of airlines at the single enroute stop. Identify the two airlines involved the single enroute stop and the aircraft type.

Let's keep the "I'm fairly confident about the DC-7" theme going here ... American/Continental over El Paso (ELP)

You're on quite a roll here, J. You are indeed correct!

AC 960 San Diego (SAN) 1230p-330p El Paso (ELP) 400p-650p San Antonio (SAT) DC-7 AA-ELP-CO Daily

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 4, 2020 at 12:02 pm
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
67. (2001) It used to be that the Pittsburgh to Philadelphia market was dominated by Allegheny and TWA. In 2001 only two airlines served this route. Allegheny has long since morphed into US Airways and it is still a major presence on the route with 14 mostly daily flights. TWA no longer flies PIT-PHL. In its place is another airline that offers four daily flights. Identify that airline.

AirTran (operating DC9-30 and possibly B717-200 service)

Correct!.

83. (2001) Once upon a time there used to be a nonstop flight from Kahului, Maui to Chicago. Not anymore. These days the longest flight from Kahului to the mainland is a bit shorter. Identify the route, the airline that flies it and the aircraft type used.

American Trans Air (ATA) operating the B757-300 between Kahului (OGG) and Phoenix (PHX).

A good guess, JL - and one that at a different time might have been true. However, at this time in 2001 we're looking for a different airline, aircraft and route. Please, guess again!
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Please feel free to answer from any and all and as always please limit your response to no more than two questions per day so that all may participate. And of course, we are looking for complete answers here. Thanks!

40 . (1959) From San Diego you’ll continue on to Dallas, Texas. There’s a well-timed departure out of Lindbergh every Friday evening offering something called Royal Cavalier Service. Hmm. Sounds nice. Let’s book it. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.
This flight was operated by a supplemental carrier

62 . (1959) You’re flying on a domestic propeller driven flight to Miami, Florida. The service could not be finer and you can even have a drink in a galley/bar equipped lounge after lunch. Most airliners just have a few seats around a table in the back of the plane. Given the parameters, only one flight fits the bill. Identify the airline and which city you’re flying into Miami from.
A N S W E R E D

72. (1965) You need to fly from Boston to San Diego and you need to do it as inexpensively as possible. To that end, you’ve booked yourself a flight aboard an all economy-class configured aircraft that leaves Boston late at night and makes three enroute stops before arriving in San Diego early in the morning. Identify the airline, aircraft type and the three enroute stops.
A N S W E R E D

77. (1995) You’ve had a great winter operating fishing charters off of San Jose del Cabo, Mexico. Now however, it’s time to return home to Chicago, just in time for opening day at Wrigley Field for your Chicago Cubs. You’ve found a connection involving two nonstop flights, each operated by different airlines utilizing MD80s. Surprisingly, the connecting city is not in California. Identify the two airlines involved and the connecting city.

79 . (1959) Although thisairline operated multiple nonstop flights between Atlanta and New York, one single daily flight was marketed as a V.I.P. flight. The flight featured filet mignon steak, Champagne, flowers for the ladies and even Dictaphone recorders on request. Name the airline and the aircraft type utilized on this flight.
It was not Eastern nor an Electra

83. (2001) Once upon a time there used to be a nonstop flight from Kahului, Maui to Chicago. Not anymore. These days the longest flight from Kahului to the mainland is a bit shorter. Identify the route, the airline that flies it and the aircraft type used.
A N S W E R E D

YVR Cockroach's Set

Airline logos and birds

Name the airline given the clue, as well as bird name where appropriate. Answers are not all inclusive as I am sure there are defunct airlines I don't remember (or never even saw one of the a/c, e.g., many U.S. airlines).

2 name of the stylized raptor was part of the airline's name

7. stork

14. At least one airline of this country uses a mythological bird. Give the western and anglicized name of the bird too.

15. Two airlines use mythological birds. Name the birds and respective airlines (both bird names end with "a")

Other (winged) non-bird animals

18. Tiger (name two if not three airlines - all have a common lineage)
(partially answered - this one is for real old timers)

20. These two airlines (of the same country) featured a man with a raptor head dress
Partially answered (AeroMexico)

Bonus Questions

2. re: Question 18 above. One airline that is descended from two of the airlines and is parent to the other. It does not use a tiger but has a stylized and unnamed(?) bird. Name this airline

78B. What airline was serving New York with the Comet in 1965? Where did it fly into New York from?
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 14, 2020 at 5:04 pm
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA
Another mainstream UK airline has gone under this evening, Flybe, with a large Dash 8 fleet and also Embraer jets. Once upon a time it started off as Jersey European Airways, and expanded to run the majority of secondary and commuter services across the UK and into Europe. They even took over all the onetime BA routes to European centres from Birmingham and Manchester. Will make a hole at those places, but even more so at the likes of Southampton or Belfast City, from where they made up the vast majority of operations to a wide range of places. British Airways still had a 10% shareholding in them, but wrote the value of that down to GBP 1 in the BA balance sheet a good while ago.

Poor old purple planes. We will miss them here at London City and elsewhere.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

It's not ATA 757 to PHX...
R Cockroach'
83. Perhaps this was TWA operating a B767-300 nonstop between Kahului (OGG) and St. Louis (STL). I do remember seeing a TW 763 while visiting Maui back then. And if so, this may have been also around the time when TWA was in the process of being merged into American.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's not ATA 757 to PHX...

Perhaps this was TWA operating a B767-300 nonstop between Kahului (OGG) and St. Louis (STL). I do remember seeing a TW 763 while visiting Maui back then. And if so, this may have been also around the time when TWA was in the process of being merged into American.

Yep - that's the one. Here's the schedule...

TWA 8 Kahului (OGG) 540p-626a D St. Louis (STL) Boeing 767-300 Daily
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Another mainstream UK airline has gone under this evening, Flybe, with a large Dash 8 fleet and also Embraer jets. Once upon a time it started off as Jersey European Airways, and expanded to run the majority of secondary and commuter services across the UK and into Europe. They even took over all the onetime BA routes to European centres from Birmingham and Manchester. Will make a hole at those places, but even more so at the likes of Southampton or Belfast City, from where they made up the vast majority of operations to a wide range of places. British Airways still had a 10% shareholding in them, but wrote the value of that down to GBP 1 in the BA balance sheet a good while ago.

Poor old purple planes. We will miss them here at London City and elsewhere.
According to an article in today's electronic edition of Aviation Week, Flybe was operating nine Embraer 175 and three Embraer 195 jets as well as two ATR-72 and 53 Dash 8 Q400 turboprops when they ceased operations. At one point, I believe Flybe was the world's largest Q400 operator.....

https://aviationweek.com/flybe?utm_r...f95296780749bf
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

72. (1965) You need to fly from Boston to San Diego and you need to do it as inexpensively as possible. To that end, you’ve booked yourself a flight aboard an all economy-class configured aircraft that leaves Boston late at night and makes three enroute stops before arriving in San Diego early in the morning. Identify the airline, aircraft type and the three enroute stops.

78B. What airline was serving New York with the Comet in 1965? Where did it fly into New York from?
72. I seem to recall that United operated several of its aircraft types with one class service. There was the Caravelle, of course, but it was operated in all first class service and to the best of my knowledge was never operated any further west than Omaha. I believe UA also operated the B727-100 in one class service at one point; however, I do think the equipment we are looking for here was a 727. So let's go with United with a Boeing 720 flying a routing of Boston - Hartford - Chicago O'Hare - Los Angeles - San Diego.

78B. I believe Aerolineas Argentinas operated the Comet IV. So here's my guess: AR flying the Comet on a routing of Buenos Aires - Rio de Janeiro - Trinidad - New York.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
79. (1959) Although thisairline operated multiple nonstop flights between Atlanta and New York, one single daily flight was marketed as a V.I.P. flight. The flight featured filet mignon steak, Champagne, flowers for the ladies and even Dictaphone recorders on request. Name the airline and the aircraft type utilized on this flight.
79- how about Eastern with a brand-new Electra
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I seem to recall that United operated several of its aircraft types with one class service. There was the Caravelle, of course, but it was operated in all first class service and to the best of my knowledge was never operated any further west than Omaha. I believe UA also operated the B727-100 in one class service at one point; however, I do think the equipment we are looking for here was a 727. So let's go with United with a Boeing 720 flying a routing of Boston - Hartford - Chicago O'Hare - Los Angeles - San Diego.

Quite the recall there, JL You are of course spot on

United UA 119 Boston (BOS) 1100p-1134p Hartford (BDL) 1205a-117a Chicago (ORD) 215a-410a Los Angeles (LAX) 530a-600a San Diego (SAN) Boeing 720 X17

I believe Aerolineas Argentinas operated the Comet IV. So here's my guess: AR flying the Comet on a routing of Buenos Aires - Rio de Janeiro - Trinidad - New York.

It's a good thing you're around or some of these questions might never get answered. AR it is! The Argies would fly in from Port of Spain. Since I'm working from a North American OAG, I can't offer any more detail. Heres the POS-JFK schedule though...

Aerolineas Argentinas AR 350 Port of Spain (POS) 740a-1155a New York (JFK) Caravelle Mo Th Sa
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
79. (1959) [color=#000000]Although this airline operated multiple nonstop flights between Atlanta and New York, one single daily flight was marketed as a V.I.P. flight. The flight featured filet mignon steak, Champagne, flowers for the ladies and even Dictaphone recorders on request. Name the airline and the aircraft type utilized on this flight.

How about Eastern with a brand-new Electra?

I like it! I can just see myself reclining in one of those big, well cushioned Electra First Class seats as I type. Unfortunately, Eastern's flights between Atlanta and New York were not given any special service related appellations, so we're looking for a different airline operating a different type of equipment. Please, guess again!
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

78B. Ah.....a Caravelle or a Comet?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

78B. Ah.....a Caravelle or a Comet?
Comet. CM4 in OAG parlance
Old Mar 6, 2020, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
79- how about Capital Airlines, operating (of course) a Viscount

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.