Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

I am tasked with redesigning the entire Denali Transit schedule for this year and beyond, so more so than most I need to be up to date on road opening dates. As of yesterday, the word from operations is that there's a good chance we'll be open per normal as of the start of the season on May 20 and a much better chance that we'll achieve normal operations as of June 1st. Mind you, this year's fixes are temporary - just enough to get us through the season. A more permanent solution (bridge or road reroute) is considerably farther away.

Then again, if the Corona virus gains a good foothold in North America, there may be a lot less people around to enjoy the road since a significant percentage of our visitors are traveling on land package tours affiliated with the vacation cruise industry. I suspect cruise ship travel will not be nearly as popular a mode of transport should this happen. Air travel could also be affected.

Be it the road or the virus, there'll be a lot going in the eleven weeks leading up to opening day.
That's one heck of a bad place to have a landslide. And given the ongoing challenges the National Park Service has with regard to receiving federal funds for improvements, a long term solution involving a bridge or reroute could well be highly problematic. I remember the difficulty the NPS experienced concerning procuring funds for the rehabilitation of the Tioga Pass Road in Yosemite National Park back when I was overseeing the search and rescue helicopter contract in the park.

And as for the coronavirus, I am now taking a wait and see position concerning a trip I've already arranged to Austria this July.....
Old Mar 3, 2020, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
82. (1975) Over the years you’ve had a love / hate relationship with Northwest Airlines. At present you’re not feeling overly charitable toward Mr. Nyrop’s airline, so when business requires you to fly between Miami and Minneapolis next week, you book a seat aboard the only direct flight not operated by NW. Unfortunately that flight makes three enroute stops. On a positive note however, dinner and a snack will be served along the way. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops.

Take two! And let's jump on board an air carrier that perhaps was considered to be a bit more stylish than NW back in the mid 70's: Braniff International operating a B727-200 Miami - New Orleans - Kansas City - Omaha - Minneapolis/St. Paul.

That's the ticket. Here's the schedule...

Braniff BN 250 Miami (MIA) 325p-410p New Orleans (MSY) 440p-620p D Kansas City (MCI) 655p-730p Omaha (OMA) 800p-850p S Minneapolis (MSP) 727-200 Daily
Old Mar 3, 2020, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Please feel free to answer from any and all and as always please limit your response to no more than two questions per day so that all may participate. And of course, we are looking for complete answers here. Thanks!

40 . (1959) From San Diego you’ll continue on to Dallas, Texas. There’s a well-timed departure out of Lindbergh every Friday evening offering something called Royal Cavalier Service. Hmm. Sounds nice. Let’s book it. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

62 . (1959) You’re flying on a domestic propeller driven flight to Miami, Florida. The service could not be finer and you can even have a drink in a galley/bar equipped lounge after lunch. Most airliners just have a few seats around a table in the back of the plane. Given the parameters, only one flight fits the bill. Identify the airline and which city you’re flying into Miami from.

67. (2001) It used to be that the Pittsburgh to Philadelphia market was dominated by Allegheny and TWA. In 2001 only two airlines served this route. Allegheny has long since morphed into US Airways and it is still a major presence on the route with 14 mostly daily flights. TWA no longer flies PIT-PHL. In its place is another airline that offers four daily flights. Identify that airline.
A N S W E R E D

68 . (1959) Three airlines operate nonstop service between New York City and Mexico City. Each airline operates a different aircraft type on this route. One airline advertises that it offers the fastest service on this route. Identify each airline, the aircraft type each operates and which airline operates the fastest flight.
A N S W E R E D

72. (1965) You need to fly from Boston to San Diego and you need to do it as inexpensively as possible. To that end, you’ve booked yourself a flight aboard an all economy-class configured aircraft that leaves Boston late at night and makes three enroute stops before arriving in San Diego early in the morning. Identify the airline, aircraft type and the three enroute stops.

76 . (1959) You’re upcoming flight next week between San Diego and San Antonio is marketed as the “Silver Arrow” It’s actually an interchange flight with a change of airlines at the single enroute stop. Identify the two airlines involved the single enroute stop and the aircraft type.
A N S W E R E D

77. (1995) You’ve had a great winter operating fishing charters off of San Jose del Cabo, Mexico. Now however, it’s time to return home to Chicago, just in time for opening day at Wrigley Field for your Chicago Cubs. You’ve found a connection involving two nonstop flights, each operated by different airlines utilizing MD80s. Surprisingly, the connecting city is not in California. Identify the two airlines involved and the connecting city.

79 . (1959) Although thisairline operated multiple nonstop flights between Atlanta and New York, one single daily flight was marketed as a V.I.P. flight. The flight featured filet mignon steak, Champagne, flowers for the ladies and even Dictaphone recorders on request. Name the airline and the aircraft type utilized on this flight.

83. (2001) Once upon a time there used to be a nonstop flight from Kahului, Maui to Chicago. Not anymore. These days the longest flight from Kahului to the mainland is a bit shorter. Identify the route, the airline that flies it and the aircraft type used.
It's not ATA 757 to PHX...

R Cockroach's Set

Airline logos and birds

Name the airline given the clue, as well as bird name where appropriate. Answers are not all inclusive as I am sure there are defunct airlines I don't remember (or never even saw one of the a/c, e.g., many U.S. airlines).

1. has long used a scavenger (name the specific bird too) - note another airline uses the name of the bird but not always the logo, and another airlines has started using this bird in its logo. Name these two other airlines.
A N S W E R E D

2 name of the stylized raptor was part of the airline's name

3. eagle. At least one predecessor airline used an unnamed(?) bird. Name that predecessor. Note: Bird did not feature in any names (other than for a commuter brand - name that commuter brand too)
A N S W E R E D

5. a real bird European explorers first thought could not possibly be real so there were in p....... (name the type of bird too)
A N S W E R E D

7. stork

14. At least one airline of this country uses a mythological bird. Give the western and anglicized name of the bird too.

15. Two airlines use mythological birds. Name the birds and respective airlines (both bird names end with "a")

Other (winged) non-bird animals

18. Tiger (name two if not three airlines - all have a common lineage)
(partially answered - this one is for real old timers)

20. These two airlines (of the same country) featured a man with a raptor head dress
Partially answered (AeroMexico)

Bonus Questions

2. re: Question 18 above. One airline that is descended from two of the airlines and is parent to the other. It does not use a tiger but has a stylized and unnamed(?) bird. Name this airline

3. This airline and its descendant used a stylized bird logo. The name of the logo was also at least one of the two airline's ATC call-sign and is used by the airlines' current incarnation. Name the two airlines and the logo's name
A N S W E R E D

3A. Another airline merged with/into one of the airlines in question 3 used a winged lion as its logo. Name the airline
A N S W E R E D

78B. What airline was serving New York with the Comet in 1965? Where did it fly into New York from?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 4, 2020 at 1:55 pm
Old Mar 3, 2020, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
Sorry for the delay on this one. Internet connectivity was dismal yesterday afternoon.

86. (1965) You’re off to Montreal next week to watch your son play his first game since being drafted by the Montreal Canadiens last year. From your home airport of Chicago O’Hare, you find there are two airlines offering nonstop flights to Montreal. Identify each airline and the aircraft it operates on the ORD-YUL route.

Well, there weren't a lot of -40s out there ... Canadian Pacific and Alitalia are the only operators that come to mind, and as I recall CP's TATL flights came from Vancouver/Edmonton/Calgary rather than points farther east ... so I guess I'll guess AZ

Yep - that's the one. Here are the schedules. And, as noted earlier, it's quite likely BOAC also operated on this route. It's anybody's guess as to why its flight wasn't shown in the schedules.

Air France AF 30 Chicago (ORD) 500p-750p D Montreal (YUL) Boeing 707 X36
Alitalia Chicago (ORD) 655p-945p D Montreal (YUL) DC-8 Tu Th Sa
Old Mar 3, 2020, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
3. eagle. At least one predecessor airline used an unnamed(?) bird. Name that predecessor. Note: Bird did not feature in any names (other than for a commuter brand - name that commuter brand too)
I'm a bit embarrassed this is just now occurring to me, but... American Airlines? The eagle was prominent up until the last merger. The commuter brand, as indicated above, is obviously American Eagle.
As for a predecessor that used a bird... I'm drawing a blank on that one.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
68. (1959) Three airlines operate nonstop service between New York City and Mexico City. Each airline operates a different aircraft type on this route. One airline advertises that it offers the fastest service on this route. Identify each airline, the aircraft type each operates and which airline operates the fastest flight.
68- I'm confident of two -- Eastern with (most likely) a DC-7 and Aeronaves de Mexico with the faster Britannia; as far as other U.S. carriers, I know Pan Am didn't operate IDL-MEX, so I'm thinking that this was another Fifth Freedom operation, which would of course point to either a European or a South American airline ... while I suspect most of those operations flowed through Miami or the Caribbean (with Iberia perhaps serving Montreal, as I know they did in the 1970s), I'll offer that the third airline we're looking for was Air France, operating their flagship L-1649A Super Starliner
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
68. (1959) Three airlines operate nonstop service between New York City and Mexico City. Each airline operates a different aircraft type on this route. One airline advertises that it offers the fastest service on this route. Identify each airline, the aircraft type each operates and which airline operates the fastest flight.

I'm confident of two -- Eastern with (most likely) a DC-7 and Aeronaves de Mexico with the faster Britannia; as far as other U.S. carriers, I know Pan Am didn't operate IDL-MEX, so I'm thinking that this was another Fifth Freedom operation, which would of course point to either a European or a South American airline ... while I suspect most of those operations flowed through Miami or the Caribbean (with Iberia perhaps serving Montreal, as I know they did in the 1970s), I'll offer that the third airline we're looking for was Air France, operating their flagship L-1649A Super Starliner

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner! Well done, J You are correct on all counts with Aeronaves de Mexico's Whispering Giant being the fastest of the three. Perhaps I should say "¡Ganador! ¡Ganador! ¡Cena de pollo!" but it just doesn't carry the aural panache of the English version. Here's the schedules... (Fastest to least fastest)

Aeronaves de Mexico Britannia 630p-1159p

Air France Constellation 1100a-620p

Eastern DC-7 1030a-515p
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
76. (1959) Your upcoming flight next week between San Diego and San Antonio is marketed as the “Silver Arrow” It’s actually an interchange flight with a change of airlines at the single enroute stop. Identify the two airlines involved the single enroute stop and the aircraft type.
76- let's keep the "I'm fairly confident about the DC-7" theme going here ... American/Continental over El Paso (ELP)
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by dfw88
I'm a bit embarrassed this is just now occurring to me, but... American Airlines? The eagle was prominent up until the last merger. The commuter brand, as indicated above, is obviously American Eagle.
As for a predecessor that used a bird... I'm drawing a blank on that one.
But of course.

As for the predecessor. shall we put it that it was acquired by an airline that was in itself acquired (or really body snatched), and that body-snatching airline body snatched yet another airline (for now).

Link to question post
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:09 am

Programs: BA

3. This airline and its descendant used a stylized bird logo. The name of the logo was also at least one of the two airline's ATC call-sign and is used by the airlines' current incarnation. Name the two airlines and the logo's name

3A. Another airline merged with/into one of the airlines in question 3 used a winged lion as its logo. Name the airline
I think this refers to the Speedbird, emblem of Imperial Airways in the 1930s, then BOAC, then British Airways until the latest livery change when it was "restyled" and lost it's name . It is of course still the ATC callsign for many BA flights.

The winged lion could be that of Caledonian Airways, later British Caledonian, and under BA ownership back to Caledonian again. Or it could be that of the "original", independently-owned British Airways from the 1930s, who also used such branding.

The Speedbird was designed by Theyre Lee-Elliott, 1930s commercial artist, who had nevertheless done religion when at university in Oxford, and in between found time to be the British table tennis champion. When Alex Frater in the 1980s did his book "Beyond the Blue Horizon" we have referred to many times here, about flights from the UK to Australia comparing the 1980s to the 1930s, his flight attendant on the first stage in a BA Tristar from London to Paris mentioned that she lived in the same apartment block in Chelsea as the now elderly Lee-Elliott. And he also did that original British Airways, competitor of Imperial, flying lion as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theyre_Lee-Elliott

http://www.artnet.com/artists/theyre-lee-elliott/
jlemon likes this.

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 4, 2020 at 12:30 am
Old Mar 4, 2020, 9:08 am

1 has long used a scavenger (name the specific bird too) - note another airline uses the name of the bird but not always the logo, and another airlines has started using this bird in its logo. Name these two other airlines.
I'm thinking this one must be the condor. So we have:
  1. has long used a scavenger (name the specific bird too): Aerolineas Argentinas
  2. note another airline uses the name of the bird but not always the logo: Condor (the airline) which kept their name but not their logo during the Thomas Cook years
  3. another airlines has started using this bird in its logo: Avianca's condor appears to have been added the most recently of the three, so I'll guess it fits in here.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 9:12 am

5. a real bird European explorers first thought could not possibly be real so there were in p....... (name the type of bird too)
For my second of the day, I remember reading a book once that talked about the shock European explorers felt when learning of the existence of the bird-of-paradise, which features on the tail of Air Niugini, so I'll throw that out there.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

67. (2001) It used to be that the Pittsburgh to Philadelphia market was dominated by Allegheny and TWA. In 2001 only two airlines served this route. Allegheny has long since morphed into US Airways and it is still a major presence on the route with 14 mostly daily flights. TWA no longer flies PIT-PHL. In its place is another airline that offers four daily flights. Identify that airline.

83. (2001) Once upon a time there used to be a nonstop flight from Kahului, Maui to Chicago. Not anymore. These days the longest flight from Kahului to the mainland is a bit shorter. Identify the route, the airline that flies it and the aircraft type used.
R
Time for a couple of wild guesses.....

67. AirTran (operating DC9-30 and possibly B717-200 service).

83. American Trans Air (ATA) operating the B757-300 between Kahului (OGG) and Phoenix (PHX).

And a sure sign of spring here last evening: our first sighting of lightning bugs (a.k.a. fireflies) this year in our backyard.

Now if we can just avoid the severe weather threat that may possibly develop over southern Louisiana later today.......
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
I think this refers to the Speedbird, emblem of Imperial Airways in the 1930s, then BOAC, then British Airways until the latest livery change when it was "restyled" and lost it's name . It is of course still the ATC callsign for many BA flights.

The winged lion could be that of Caledonian Airways, later British Caledonian, and under BA ownership back to Caledonian again. Or it could be that of the "original", independently-owned British Airways from the 1930s, who also used such branding.
on all counts! I didn't realise the Speedbird was that old.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Mar 4, 2020 at 10:12 am
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For my second of the day, I remember reading a book once that talked about the shock European explorers felt when learning of the existence of the bird-of-paradise, which features on the tail of Air Niugini, so I'll throw that out there.

I'm thinking this one must be the condor. So we have:
  1. has long used a scavenger (name the specific bird too): Aerolineas Argentinas
  2. note another airline uses the name of the bird but not always the logo: Condor (the airline) which kept their name but not their logo during the Thomas Cook years
  3. another airlines has started using this bird in its logo: Avianca's condor appears to have been added the most recently of the three, so I'll guess it fits in here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.