Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
86. (1965) You’re off to Montreal next week to watch your son play his first game since being drafted by the Montreal Canadiens last year. From your home airport of Chicago O’Hare, you find there are two airlines offering nonstop flights to Montreal. Identify each airline and the aircraft it operates on the ORD-YUL route.
Air France AF 30 Chicago (ORD) 500p-750p D Montreal (YUL) Boeing 707 X36

Other than IB and KL (which I mentioned obliquely as probably non-candidates), the only other TATL DC8 operator that comes to mind is Swissair

Good Lord, J - it seems you've hit the doldrums here. Neither IB, KL or SR is the airline we're looking for here, so here's a hint... Think Rolls Royce Conway powered variants of the DC-8...
Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA
80. (MISC)
What was the first Asian airline to become an intercontinental carrier?

I'll go for KNILM, the Indonesian carrier, part-owned by KLM, which started joint services with KLM on the Amsterdam-Jakarta-Sydney route in the 1930s. KNILM did the sector beyond Jakarta (called Batavia then) to Sydney. When Indonesia was invaded in 1941 they repositioned to Sydney and ran for the military from there for the rest of the war, returning home afterwards.

This sounds better than the answer I had in mind (Philippine Airlines commencing DC-4 service to San Francisco in 1946), and it certainly seems more plausible that an airline from Indonesia would be the answer to this question given the geographical proximity of Australia to the Indonesian archipelago.
Bonus question : When KNILM had to evacuate to Australia, they took as much of their notably modern fleet with them as hadn't been destroyed in the invasion. This includes a few of a (then) very modern type which, as far as I can recall, has not featured in this quiz before, What type of aircraft was that ?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
86- well, there weren't a lot of -40s out there ... Canadian Pacific and Alitalia are the only operators that come to mind, and as I recall CP's TATL flights came from Vancouver/Edmonton/Calgary rather than points farther east ... so I guess I'll guess AZ
Old Mar 2, 2020, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by WHBM
Bonus question : When KNILM had to evacuate to Australia, they took as much of their notably modern fleet with them as hadn't been destroyed in the invasion. This includes a few of a (then) very modern type which, as far as I can recall, has not featured in this quiz before, What type of aircraft was that ?

Came across this last week. The very rare DC-5 of which only less than half a dozen or so made it into civilian hands. I imagine no one on FT has ever flown on one in commercial service.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Mar 2, 2020 at 3:31 pm Reason: specifying where I even heard about the DC-5
Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach

Came across this last week. The very rare DC-5 of which only less than half a dozen or so made it into civilian hands. I imagine no one on FT has ever flown on one in commercial service.
Yes, that's what KNILM took with them in March 1942 to Australia, three of the five civil ones built, a few for the USAF too. One was left behind in Indonesia and seized by the Japanese, last seen in Tokyo in 1945. British Airways (the old pre-war independent carrier) ordered nine of them, to be delivered at the end of 1939, but although some parts were procured they were never built. The only Douglas high-wing airliner (well, if you exclude all the MD-11s that overturned on landing). There's a lengthy detailed article about the DC-5, by an Australian, here DOUGLAS DC-5 IN AUSTRALIA
Seat 2A and strickerj like this.

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 2, 2020 at 4:23 pm
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Yes, that's what KNILM took with them in March 1942 to Australia, three of the five civil ones built, a few for the USAF too. One was left behind in Indonesia and seized by the Japanese, last seen in Tokyo in 1945. British Airways (the old pre-war independent carrier) ordered nine of them, to be delivered at the end of 1939, but although some parts were procured they were never built. The only Douglas high-wing airliner (well, if you exclude all the MD-11s that overturned on landing). There's a lengthy detailed article about the DC-5, by an Australian, here DOUGLAS DC-5 IN AUSTRALIA
Fast forward almost 45 years later, and if one knew where to look at Miami International Airport back in 1989, one could see a Convair 340 in the faded livery of Braniff International Airways:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Bran...%2BGuPtTCMolxc

It appears this old airplane was still more or less operational at this time.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:39 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
69. (1995) From your home in Reston, Virginia, the closest airport is Washington’s Dulles. You’re looking forward to visiting your brother down in Hollywood, Florida next month and are surprised to find that only one airline offers nonstop service from IAD to FLL, albeit with just a single daily flight. Right. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft operating this flight.

Possibly Valujet with a DC-9-30?

What! Did you used to live around Dulles? Good call! Valuejet is correct!

ValueJet J7 463 Washington (IAD) 210p-440p Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) DC-9-30 Daily

73. (2001) Three airlines offer nonstop service between Cancun and Los Angeles, but only one does so with wide bodied equipment. Yep, that’s the one you want. Identify the airline and the equipment....

Alaska Airlines was one of the three, but with 737-700/900s, so not the answer you're looking for. I'm guessing the widebody would be a vacation airline - perhaps an ATA L-1011?

Whoa! Somebody ate their Wheaties this morning! Spot on with the ATA L-1011. The other two airlines were United and Mexicana as Alaska didn't start LAX-CUN until a couple of years later, but this is not a required part of the answer, so never mind. Here's the schedule:

American Transair TZ 786 Cancun (CUN) 355p-650p Los Angeles (LAX) Lockheed L-1011-500 Sat. only
Amazing, considering both of these were more or less lucky (albeit educated) guesses. I do recall being at LAX in 2001 and seeing an ATA L-1011 there. It was shortly after 9/11 and there was some sort of promo on Delta award tickets, so I cobbled together a day trip consisting of a 767-400 from ATL and an MD-11 back. Those were the emptiest widebody flights I've ever been on (and probably ever will be). The 764 continued on to OGG (without me, unfortunately) and the M11 arrived from NRT. As for Valujet, I never flew them, but I did fly their successor (AirTran) courtesy of a Wendy's promo when I was in college (2006).

Sorry to derail, but I seem to recall reading somewhere you live in Alaska and work at Denali National Park? We'll be there this spring... I'm anxiously keeping an eye on the road closure.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by strickerj
Amazing, considering both of these were more or less lucky (albeit educated) guesses. I do recall being at LAX in 2001 and seeing an ATA L-1011 there. It was shortly after 9/11 and there was some sort of promo on Delta award tickets, so I cobbled together a day trip consisting of a 767-400 from ATL and an MD-11 back. Those were the emptiest widebody flights I've ever been on (and probably ever will be). The 764 continued on to OGG (without me, unfortunately) and the M11 arrived from NRT. As for Valujet, I never flew them, but I did fly their successor (AirTran) courtesy of a Wendy's promo when I was in college (2006).

Sorry to derail, but I seem to recall reading somewhere you live in Alaska and work at Denali National Park? We'll be there this spring... I'm anxiously keeping an eye on the road closure.
Way to take advantage of those promos, strickerj I remember my first 747 flight as being one of the emptiest widebody flights I'd ever flown. It was a Continental 747 from Chicago to Denver in 1971 and there were only 3 of us in the Economy cabin (Micronesia Room) There weren't many more in regular coach.

As for Denali, please PM me when you get your dates in order. It'd be nice to meet up if we can. As to the road, I just spoke with operations today as I have been tasked with designing the new bus schedule for this season and beyond. I think we're gonna be okay there - especially if you're arriving after June 8th.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by strickerj
Denali National Park... I'm anxiously keeping an eye on the road closure.
We have a string of landslips on the railway network in the UK this week after an exceptionally wet period. I have some good contacts with the various contractors (the guys in orange here) who are tasked with fixing these - they would have that Denali slip sorted in a few days

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...yside-51702869
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
We have a string of landslips on the railway network in the UK this week after an exceptionally wet period. I have some good contacts with the various contractors (the guys in orange here) who are tasked with fixing these - they would have that Denali slip sorted in a few days
Well, of course they would and their work site warning sign for oncoming traffic would probably read "Mind The Slip".....

However, they would also tend to drive on the wrong side of the bloody road, of course.....

And should one be interested in seeing a real landslide.........

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/photo-...pic-landslide/

That's Highway One in Big Sur, California several years ago. You can slide the photos back and forth to see what the area looked like before the slide and after the slide. It took awhile for CalTrans to get this situation rectified and the Pacific Coast Highway back open. Lady K and yours truly will be driving on this stretch of very scenic (and sometimes rather unstable) road just over two weeks from today after we fly to SBP from LFT via DFW. This will also be the first time we've been able to fly nonstop from Dallas/Fort Worth to San Luis Obispo and we'll be on board an American Eagle CRJ700.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 3, 2020 at 9:21 am Reason: Added photo link
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

82. (1975) Over the years you’ve had a love / hate relationship with Northwest Airlines. At present you’re not feeling overly charitable toward Mr. Nyrop’s airline, so when business requires you to fly between Miami and Minneapolis next week, you book a seat aboard the only direct flight not operated by NW. Unfortunately that flight makes three enroute stops. On a positive note however, dinner and a snack will be served along the way. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops.
82. I posed a quiz question awhile back concerning Electra service operated by Eastern between MSP and MIA. So let's stick with Eastern here with this flight in question being operated with a DC9-30 on a routing of Miami - Atlanta - Louisville - Indianapolis - Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 3, 2020 at 10:31 am Reason: reversed the direction of travel
Old Mar 3, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
82- I was composing a response to this question and got sidetracked with a work call ... in returning, I see jlemon has provided much the same answer, except that mine is in the proper direction of the flight, viz
between Miami and Minneapolis the three stops were likely Atlanta (ATL), Nashville (BNA), and Indianapolis (IND)
Old Mar 3, 2020, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

82. (1975) Over the years you’ve had a love / hate relationship with Northwest Airlines. At present you’re not feeling overly charitable toward Mr. Nyrop’s airline, so when business requires you to fly between Miami and Minneapolis next week, you book a seat aboard the only direct flight not operated by NW. Unfortunately that flight makes three enroute stops. On a positive note however, dinner and a snack will be served along the way. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops.

Per jlemon: I posed a quiz question awhile back concerning Electra service operated by Eastern between MSP and MIA. So let's stick with Eastern here with this flight in question being operated with a DC9-30 on a routing of Miami - Atlanta - Louisville - Indianapolis - Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Per jrl767: I was composing a response to this question and got sidetracked with a work call ... in returning, I see jlemon has provided much the same answer, except that mine is in the proper direction of the flight, viz between Miami and Minneapolisthe three stops were likely Atlanta (ATL), Nashville (BNA), and Indianapolis (IND).....

Certainly plausible guys, but not in this instance. We're looking for a different airline, routing and aircraft type. Please, guess again!
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...yside-51702869
Here's a bit more detail on the Denali Road problem

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/scie...3gj1TO64ENIhek

And here's a picture of the area most affected at present...

The affected area is in the center of the photo where the rocks to the right of the road are dark orange

I am tasked with redesigning the entire Denali Transit schedule for this year and beyond, so more so than most I need to be up to date on road opening dates. As of yesterday, the word from operations is that there's a good chance we'll be open per normal as of the start of the season on May 20 and a much better chance that we'll achieve normal operations as of June 1st. Mind you, this year's fixes are temporary - just enough to get us through the season. A more permanent solution (bridge or road reroute) is considerably farther away.

Then again, if the Corona virus gains a good foothold in North America, there may be a lot less people around to enjoy the road since a significant percentage of our visitors are traveling on land package tours affiliated with the vacation cruise industry. I suspect cruise ship travel will not be nearly as popular a mode of transport should this happen. Air travel could also be affected.

Be it the road or the virus, there'll be a lot going in the eleven weeks leading up to opening day.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

82. Take two! And let's jump on board an air carrier that perhaps was considered to be a bit more stylish than NW back in the mid 70's: Braniff International operating a B727-200 Miami - New Orleans - Kansas City - Omaha - Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.