Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
70. (1965) For a small town,Amarillo, Texas is a hotbed of propliner activity. Four airlines serve AMA with propeller driven equipment. Three of them operate just one type into AMA while the fourth operates four different types. Identify each airline and the equipment each operates into Amarillo.

I think the three single-type carriers are Central (DC-3, and a tap-in if not), Continental (Viscount), and TWA (Constellation) ... the fourth airline was Braniff (Convair 340, DC-6, DC-7, and Electra)

Way to step up to the plate and get this one started, J Here's what we're looking at in list form:

Central DC-3 Correct!
Continental Viscount Correct!
TWA Constellation Incorrect
Braniff Convair 340, DC-6, DC-7, and Electra

If I didn't know better (I really don't, but then I'm the guy with the 1965 OAG) I'd have listed TWA with the Connie as well. As it is however, TWA served AMA with two daily Convair 880s. That's it. Good start with Braniff. You're very close with the missing propliner. The same manufacturer is involved. Tap it in, dude!
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by strickerj
69. (1995) From your home in Reston, Virginia, the closest airport is Washington’s Dulles. You’re looking forward to visiting your brother down in Hollywood, Florida next month and are surprised to find that only one airline offers nonstop service from IAD to FLL, albeit with just a single daily flight. Right. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft operating this flight.

Possibly Valujet with a DC-9-30?

What! Did you used to live around Dulles? Good call! Valuejet is correct!

ValueJet J7 463 Washington (IAD) 210p-440p Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) DC-9-30 Daily

73. (2001) Three airlines offer nonstop service between Cancun and Los Angeles, but only one does so with wide bodied equipment. Yep, that’s the one you want. Identify the airline and the equipment....

Alaska Airlines was one of the three, but with 737-700/900s, so not the answer you're looking for. I'm guessing the widebody would be a vacation airline - perhaps an ATA L-1011?

Whoa! Somebody ate their Wheaties this morning! Spot on with the ATA L-1011. The other two airlines were United and Mexicana as Alaska didn't start LAX-CUN until a couple of years later, but this is not a required part of the answer, so never mind. Here's the schedule:

American Transair TZ 786 Cancun (CUN) 355p-650p Los Angeles (LAX) Lockheed L-1011-500 Sat. only
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
86. (1965) You’re off to Montreal next week to watch your son play his first game since being drafted by the Montreal Canadiens last year. From your home airport of Chicago O’Hare, you find there are two airlines offering nonstop flights to Montreal. Identify each airline and the aircraft it operates on the ORD-YUL route.
BOAC is not one of them
86- well, the next logical European carrier would certainly be Air France with a 707

as for the other service ... part of me wants to say Trans-Canada Airlines using a Vanguard (or maybe a Viscount), but another part of me dissects the question a bit farther: TC would have probably offered more than 1x/daily service on such a route, and since Quiz questions generally make note of such things, I suspect we're looking for another airline operating ORD-YUL as the first leg of a TATL ... Iberia operated MAD-YUL-MEX, I think KLM ran AMS-YUL-HOU, and I really can't imagine Lufthansa on the routing ... how about SAS running a DC-8
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: BA
80. (MISC) What was the first Asian airline to become an intercontinental carrier?
I'll go for KNILM, the Indonesian carrier, part-owned by KLM, which started joint services with KLM on the Amsterdam-Jakarta-Sydney route in the 1930s. KNILM did the sector beyond Jakarta (called Batavia then) to Sydney. When Indonesia was invaded in 1941 they repositioned to Sydney and ran for the military from there for the rest of the war, returning home afterwards.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
70- "not TW" means it has to be Frontier, most likely with a Convair 580 ... and as for Braniff, I'm really surprised they still had DC-3s in the active fleet in 1965
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
89. (1965) Maybe it’s just your bad luck but you’ve had continually bad experiences with Trans-Canada and now Air Canada. For your upcoming trip from Montreal to Nassau, you decide to check out the other airline that offers nonstop service on this route. Identify that airline and the aircraft it operates on this route.

I'm going to have another shot here at BOAC, with (probably) a 707 operating London-Montreal-Nassau-other West Indies points.

Good call, Mr. M Back in the day BOAC offered an impressive variety of flights between the North American mainland and the Caribbean. Here's the schedule had we flown on this one...

BOAC BA 485 Montreal (YUL) 1000a-120p L Nassau (NAS) 707 Saturday only

As you also pointed out, this flight did indeed continue on to Montego Bay and Kingston

Nassau (NAS) 205p-325p Montego Bay (MBJ) 355p-425p Kingston (KIN)

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 2, 2020 at 12:07 pm
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KT550
80. (MISC) What was the first Asian airline to become an intercontinental carrier?

Japan Airlines

According to the information I have, we're looking for a different airline. Perhaps we can get together and compare notes about this someday. In the meantime, please submit different airline!
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

86. (1965) You’re off to Montreal next week to watch your son play his first game since being drafted by the Montreal Canadiens last year. From your home airport of Chicago O’Hare, you find there are two airlines offering nonstop flights to Montreal. Identify each airline and the aircraft it operates on the ORD-YUL route.
BOAC is not one of them

Well, the next logical European carrier would certainly be Air France with a 707. As for the other service ... part of me wants to say Trans-Canada Airlines using a Vanguard (or maybe a Viscount), but another part of me dissects the question a bit farther: TC would have probably offered more than 1x/daily service on such a route, and since Quiz questions generally make note of such things, I suspect we're looking for another airline operating ORD-YUL as the first leg of a TATL ... Iberia operated MAD-YUL-MEX, I think KLM ran AMS-YUL-HOU, and I really can't imagine Lufthansa on the routing ... how about SAS running a DC-8

Way to break it down, J! Over the years a nice variety of European airlines have exercised their 5th Freedom rights with flights between the U.S. and Canada, and the ORD-YUL route was a good one to enjoy such a flight. Per the 1965 schedule I reference for this question, you are correct with Air France and the 707. As for the second carrier, SAS is not the airline we're looking for. However, the airline in question did utilize a DC-8 on this route.

Carry on.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

86- other than IB and KL (which I mentioned obliquely as probably non-candidates), the only other TATL DC8 operator that comes to mind is Swissair
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dfw88
90. (MISC) This airline caused quite a controversy when it became the first in the world to charge passenger ticket prices based upon the weight of the passenger

I seem to remember that this was an airline from Samoa. Given that I can't name any other airlines from that country, I'll go with Samoa Airlines.

Your memory serves you well, DFW! Samoa Air is indeed the airline of record here. Below is a link to an article discussing this.

https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/samoa-...ry?id=18862095
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

70. (1965) For a small town,Amarillo, Texas is a hotbed of propliner activity. Four airlines serve AMA with propeller driven equipment. Three of them operate just one type into AMA while the fourth operates four different types. Identify each airline and the equipment each operates into Amarillo.
Central, Continental and Braniff have been identified. We need one more airline and additional equipment on BN (340, DC7 & LEC correctly ID'd so far)
70. Please allow me to conduct the tap-in here concerning Braniff and the missing equipment. I believe it was a Convair 440 and there may have been days when this aircraft was in the livery of Eastern Air Lines. Back in 1965, Braniff and Eastern were operating an interchange service with a CV-440 between Denver and Atlanta with a routing of DEN - COS - AMA - OKC - TUL - FSM - LIT - MEM - BHM - ATL. By 1967, this BN-EA interchange service was being operated with an Electra with a routing of DEN - AMA - OKC - TUL - LIT - MEM - BHM - ATL and by 1968 a B727-100 was being operated on this interchange flight with routing of DEN - MEM - ATL - MIA. In every case the interchange point was Memphis.

And while I'm at it, I'll guess the fourth airline was Trans-Texas operating a Convair 240.

P.S. - Since I've exceeded my quota for the day with the above, I shall limit myself to just one quiz item tomorrow (in the spirit of Lent).

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 2, 2020 at 12:43 pm Reason: P.S.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
73. (2001) Three airlines offer nonstop service between Cancun and Los Angeles, but only one does so wide bodied equipment. Yep, that’s the one you want. Identify the airline and the equipment.

I initially thought of Aerocancun with an A310; however, if memory serves me correctly, I do not think Aerocancun operated scheduled service, only charters (and BTW, Aerocancun did operate charter flights out of New Orleans back in the day with MD-80 equipment). So I'm now leaning toward Mexicana. The DC-10 may have been a bit too large for the LAX - CUN route, so let's go with a B767-300 instead.

I like it! But hey - what do I know? strickerj knows the real truth, as evidenced by his answer submitted a bit earlier. See post 17957 above.

74. (1975) It’s been years since you last flew out of the state of Vermont. In fact, the last time you left the state was aboard a bright yellow Northeast Airlines jet on a trip to Cleveland for Thanksgiving with Uncle Bernie and Aunt Elizabeth. This time you’re headed out to an electronics trade show in St. Louis. Rather surprisingly, you’ve found a direct flight that departs Burlington each morning and, after three enroute stops, will get you into St. Louis in the early afternoon. Name the airline, the three enroute stops in order and the aircraft type.

This sure sounds like an extension of a former Northeast route. Of course, I'm talking about Delta here operating the same type of aircraft on the service as NE: The DC9-30. And the routing would then have been Burlington - Cleveland - Detroit - Chicago O'Hare - St. Louis. Plus, knowing DL back then, I'm also willing to bet this flight was just one part of an extensive milk run.

That's the ticket, JL Here's the schedule:

Delta DL 651 Burlington (BTV) 915a-1038a B Cleveland (CLE) 1100a-1029a Detroit (DTW) 1100a-1155a Chicago (ORD) 1245p-141p S St. Louis (STL) DC-9-30 Daily

The routing for the entire flight was BGR-PWM-MHT-BTV-CLE-DTW-ORD-STL-MEM-ATL
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM

I'll go for KNILM, the Indonesian carrier, part-owned by KLM, which started joint services with KLM on the Amsterdam-Jakarta-Sydney route in the 1930s. KNILM did the sector beyond Jakarta (called Batavia then) to Sydney. When Indonesia was invaded in 1941 they repositioned to Sydney and ran for the military from there for the rest of the war, returning home afterwards.

This sounds better than the answer I had in mind (Philippine Airlines commencing DC-4 service to San Francisco in 1946), and it certainly seems more plausible that an airline from Indonesia would be the answer to this question given the geographical proximity of Australia to the Indonesian archipelago.

I've said it before, but it bears salutation once more...

WHBM, You Da Man!!!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 2, 2020 at 1:36 pm
Old Mar 2, 2020, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here's what we're looking at so far:

Central DC-3 Correct!
Continental Viscount Correct!
TWA Constellation Incorrect
Braniff Convair 340, DC-6, DC-7, and Electra

If I didn't know better (I really don't, but then I'm the guy with the 1965 OAG) I'd have listed TWA with the Connie as well. As it is however, TWA served AMA with two daily Convair 880s. That's it. Good start with Braniff. You're very close with the missing propliner. The same manufacturer is involved. Tap it in, dude!

"Not TW" means it has to be Frontier, most likely with a Convair 580 ... and as for Braniff, I'm really surprised they still had DC-3s in the active fleet in 1965

Alas, "Not TW" could also mean an airline other than Frontier as Frontier didn't start serving AMA until it acquired Central three years later. And, like you, I'd also be really surprised if Braniff were still flying DC-3s in 1965 - especially since BN retired the DC-3 in 1961.

Please, guess again!
Old Mar 2, 2020, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
Central, Continental and Braniff have been identified. We need one more airline and additional equipment on BN (340, DC7 & LEC correctly ID'd so far).

Please allow me to conduct the tap-in here concerning Braniff and the missing equipment. I believe it was a Convair 440 and there may have been days when this aircraft was in the livery of Eastern Air Lines. Back in 1965, Braniff and Eastern were operating an interchange service with a CV-440 between Denver and Atlanta with a routing of DEN - COS - AMA - OKC - TUL - FSM - LIT - MEM - BHM - ATL. By 1967, this BN-EA interchange service was being operated with an Electra with a routing of DEN - AMA - OKC - TUL - LIT - MEM - BHM - ATL and by 1968 a B727-100 was being operated on this interchange flight with routing of DEN - MEM - ATL - MIA. In every case the interchange point was Memphis.

And while I'm at it, I'll guess the fourth airline was Trans-Texas operating a Convair 240.

P.S. - Since I've exceeded my quota for the day with the above, I shall limit myself to just one quiz item tomorrow (in the spirit of Lent).

Correct! on all counts!

jlemon, you also Da Man!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.