Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
19. antelope

There are at least two airlines.

Qatar Airways
South African Airways
(technicality: Frontier Airlines, N209FR, one of a series of aircraft with animals on the tail. N209FR had an antelope)
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
19. antelope

There are at least two airlines.

Qatar Airways
South African Airways
(technicality: Frontier Airlines, N209FR, one of a series of aircraft with animals on the tail. N209FR had an antelope)
Forgot QR. Bonus question: name the type of antelopes for the respective airlines

Prefer to stay with widely-used logos rather than one-offs. But here's a

Bonus Question along those lines

This airline has at least one special livery aircraft that features a cartoon character of a predatory animal responsible for killing billions of birds every year. Name the character too.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Forgot QR. Bonus question: name the type of antelopes for the respective airlines

One easy, one hard

South African Airways: springbok

Qatar Airways: ?. My guess is an ornx, whatever that is. If not, then an onrx or an onxk or an oryx.
YVR Cockroach likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
One easy, one hard

South African Airways: springbok

Qatar Airways: ?. My guess is an ornx, whatever that is. If not, then an onrx or an onxk or an oryx.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
10- hummingbird — Caribbean Airlines (Trinidad and Tobago; it’s the successor to British West Indian Airways)
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:57 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
11 - LH, JL, LO (that does not look like a crane, but it is the 1930's design used till today).
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TPJ
11 - LH, JL, LO (that does not loo
Supposedly LOT does hae a crane in the "O". Have to say I don't think I ever noticed it before and not sure I've ever seen a LOT plane in real life)

Originally Posted by jrl767
10- hummingbird — Caribbean Airlines (Trinidad and Tobago; it’s the successor to British West Indian Airways)
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks for the questions, YVR!!

6. just a cartoon beak

Nok Air - Thailand

16. Marsupial

Gee Chumley... um... Qantas
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:58 am

13. This airline uses a mythological bird diety. Name the god too.
EgyptAir - Horus, the Egyptian God of the sky, who is part man and part falcon
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Thanks for the questions, YVR!!

6. just a cartoon beak

Nok Air - Thailand

16. Marsupial

Gee Chumley... um... Qantas

Originally Posted by dfw88
EgyptAir - Horus, the Egyptian God of the sky, who is part man and part falcon
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:35 am

1. This airline has at least one special livery aircraft that features a cartoon character of a predatory animal species responsible for killing billions of birds every year. Name the character too.
You're certainly not referring to EVA Air and Hello Kitty, are you? Because Hello Kitty is a human girl in a cat costume, apparently: https://time.com/3197794/hello-kitty-not-a-cat/ and https://www.sanrio.com/character/1970/hello-kitty

Edit: Not that it makes one bit of difference to me, I just remember the collective internet shock a few years ago when this "revelation" became common knowledge.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dfw88
You're certainly not referring to EVA Air and Hello Kitty, are you? Because Hello Kitty is a human girl in a cat costume, apparently: https://time.com/3197794/hello-kitty-not-a-cat/ and https://www.sanrio.com/character/1970/hello-kitty

Edit: Not that it makes one bit of difference to me, I just remember the collective internet shock a few years ago when this "revelation" became common knowledge.
Yes I was (didn't know until now) and am surprised as you were/are. and not that I care, either.

Still consider it the right answer.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

63. (Winter of 1975) Based solely upon schedules found in the North American OAG, identify the longest nonstop flight of a Lockheed L-188 Electra found therein.
This service was not flown north of the 49th parallel. It was not flown in the U.S. or the Caribbean either...
63. Hmmmm....not flown in the U.S. or the Caribbean but somewhere south of the 49th parallel in North America....

So time for a wild guess.....perhaps this was Nordair operating between Montreal Dorval (YUL) and Val D'Or (YVO).

BTW, Lady K and I are now back home following a big Mardi Gras weekend in New Orleans. Aside from experiencing absolute traffic gridlock in the downtown area (and we walked as much as possible in the French Quarter as our hotel was nearby), it was a truly wonderful experience to include music, dancing, excellent cuisine with superb wine and, of course, the parades.

Laissez bon temps rouler, ya'll, and Happy Mardi Gras!
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
63. (Winter of 1975) Based solely upon schedules found in the North American OAG, identify the longest nonstop flight of a Lockheed L-188 Electra found therein.
This service was not flown north of the 49th parallel. It was not flown in the U.S. or the Caribbean either...

Hmmmm....not flown in the U.S. or the Caribbean but somewhere south of the 49th parallel in North America....

So time for a wild guess.....perhaps this was Nordair operating between Montreal Dorval (YUL) and Val D'Or (YVO).

Interesting, but no - here's a big hint: This flight stayed entirely within one country, but was not in the U.S. or Canada. Hmm...

BTW, Lady K and I are now back home following a big Mardi Gras weekend in New Orleans. Aside from experiencing absolute traffic gridlock in the downtown area (and we walked as much as possible in the French Quarter as our hotel was nearby), it was a truly wonderful experience to include music, dancing, excellent cuisine with superb wine and, of course, the parades.

I wish I could say my weekend was as fun but alas - instead of spending it at the aviation fair in Amsterdam, I spent it holed up in a Super 8 outside O'Hare suffering from the flu. And that First Class seat on a British Airways 787-9 into Phoenix instead became an aisle seat in the third row from the back aboard a Southwest 737. Sigh... On a positive note, it's 70 degrees and beautiful in the Valley of The Sun with more of the same forecast throughout the week. Tomorrow you'll find me 14 rows up above 1st base as my A's take on the San Diego Padres in spring training ball.

Laissez bon temps rouler, ya'll, and Geaux A's!
Ah, c'mon JL - it was a Mexican airline operating over a route well over 1500 miles long! Entonces, ¿quién era?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 27, 2020 at 12:11 am
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

8. Swallow

I believe the bird depicted on China Eastern's tails is a swallow

12. Two airlines used waterfowl (name the type of birds too, one of the birds apparently had a name so give that name)

North Central/Republic immediately come to mind with the mallard on the tail, which dates back to Wisconsin Central Airlines. The bird's name was "Herman"

Canadian Airlines had a stylized Canadian goose in the tail if that counts

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 25, 2020 at 7:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.