Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
BONUS QUIZ ITEM: What airline served Red Deer in 1976 and what type of equipment did they operate into YQF at that time?
It wasn't Pacific Western operating a Convair 640
Time Air with a...DH-6?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Time Air with a...DH-6?
Yes, indeed, it was the mighty Twin Otter operated by Time Air with not one but two departures every weekday from the gigantic Red Deer Airport. Here are the complete southbound and northbound scheds....

KI 301: Grande Prairie (YQU) 7:00a - 8:30a Edmonton Industrial (YXD) 8:45a - 9:25a Red Deer (YQF) 9:30a - 10:00a Calgary (YYC)
Freq: Daily except Sat. & Sun.
Service class: Y
Equip: DTO

KI 314: Calgary (YYC) 12:15p - 12:45p Red Deer (YQF) 12:50p - 1:30p Edmonton Industrial (YXD) 1:45p - 3:15p Grande Prairie (YQU)
Freq: Daily except Sat. & Sun.
Service class: Y
Equip: DTO
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wonder why the stop in Red Deer was for. Not at all remote and especially not very far to YYC or even YXD and the drive isn't difficult or challenging at all. And in that era, competing PWA was owned by the (conservative (lower case and upper case "c") provincial government so it wasn't a mandate.

I never saw Time Air operate the DHC-6, just Shorts and DHC-8s. Never logged a flight in DHC-2s, 3s and 6s though fortunately where I am, it isn't very difficult if I decide to.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Wonder why the stop in Red Deer was for. Not at all remote and especially not very far to YYC or even YXD and the drive isn't difficult or challenging at all. And in that era, competing PWA was owned by the (conservative (lower case and upper case "c") provincial government so it wasn't a mandate.

I never saw Time Air operate the DHC-6, just Shorts and DHC-8s. Never logged a flight in DHC-2s, 3s and 6s though fortunately where I am, it isn't very difficult if I decide to.
Time Air has an interesting history. They started out as small air carrier based in Lethbridge, Alberta founded by Walter Ross and took up the slack at YQL after Air Canada ceased operating Vickers Viscount service nonstop to Calgary and direct to Edmonton from Lethbridge. I believe they were also operating the Fairchild F-27 back in the mid 1970's besides the Twin Otter. The Short 330 was then added to their small fleet. Time Air then acquired several other small air carriers in western Canada. In 1981, Time Air reportedly started a Medicine Hat - Lethbridge - Kelowna - Vancouver route operated with a Dash 7. It appears that Pacific Western took a 40% stake in Time Air in 1983. I think other aircraft operated by Time Air included the Convair 580, Convair 640, Short 360, Swearingen Metro and Dash 8 series 100 and 300. The airline also operated Fokker F.28 jet equipment and at one point appears to have been one of the largest F.28 operators in the world. Time Air eventually became a Canadian Airlines Partner air carrier and I believe it was eventually completely taken over by Canadian Airlines and integrated into Canadian Regional Airlines.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Hey gang - just a heads up. I am flying out of here on Thursday evening, then flying most of the day Friday from Seattle to Amsterdam. Let's try and finish off these questions by Thursday if possible. At that point, if any of you would care to submit some questions, please do. I will not get home until late February and will look forward to kickin' back and trying to solve your queries. In the meantime, I'll be at the Amsterdam Aviation Collector's Fair on Sunday, then flying from AMS to PHX via LHR where WHBM has kindly offered to drive out to Heathrow and meet up with me during my 2.5 hour layover. Then it's on to Arizona in First Class aboard BA's 787-9 after which I'll attend a couple of spring training Cactus League games with my Oakland A's (who have a decent chance to win the AL West this season, especially with the Astro's recent scandal having come to light.) So then, I look forward to your responses sooner than later.

I should also add that I've recently come across a large amount of old Airliner World magazines. My hope is to peruse them in the coming months and then come up with questions that are based more on airline and airport history as opposed to the schedule based questions that have thus far dominated this thread.

40 . (1959)
From San Diego you’ll continue on to Dallas, Texas. There’s a well-timed departure out of Lindbergh every Friday evening offering something called Royal Cavalier Service. Hmm. Sounds nice. Let’s book it. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.
It was not Delta or a DC-7. It is also a supplemental airline...

62 . (1959) You’re flying on a domestic flight to Miami, Florida. The service could not be finer and you can even have a drink in a galley equipped lounge after lunch. Only one flight fits the bill. Identify the airline and which city you’re flying into Miami from.
National 707 (via Pan Am) identified.
Bonus Question: Same parameters as above, but this time a propeller driven aircraft.

63. (Winter of 1975) Based solely upon schedules found in the North American OAG, identify the longest nonstop flight of a Lockheed L-188 Electra found therein.
This service was not flown north of the 49th parallel. It was not flown in the U.S. or the Caribbean either...
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Short filler quiz (apologies if it has been done before) until the next set of real questions.

Airline logos and birds

Name the airline given the clue, as well as bird name where appropriate. Answers are not all inclusive as I am sure there are defunct airlines I don't remember (or never even saw one of the a/c, e.g., many U.S. airlines).

1 has long used a scavenger (name the specific bird too) - note another airline uses the name of the bird but not always the logo, and another airlines has started using this bird in its logo. Name these two other airlines. answered
Spoiler

2 name of the stylised raptor was part of the airline's name

3. eagle. At least one predecessor airline used an unnamed(?) bird. Name that predecessor. Note: Bird did not feature in any names (other than for a commuter brand - name that commuter brand too) - partially answered
Spoiler

4. two airlines have a falcon as a logo - answered
Spoiler

5. a real bird European explorers first thought could not possibly be real so there were in p....... (name the type of bird too) answered
Spoiler

6. just a cartoon beak answered
Spoiler

7. stork answered
Spoiler

8. Swallow answered
Spoiler

9. swallows - answered
Spoiler

10. Bird that western explorers thought was impossible and an insect because of the way it flew. Name the airline's predecessor too answered
Spoiler

11.Two three airlines use cranes answered
Spoiler

12. Two airlines used waterfowl (name the type of birds too, one of the birds apparently had a name so give that name)
answered
Spoiler

13. This airline uses a mythological bird diety. Name the god too. answered
Spoiler

14. At least one airline of this country uses a mythological bird. Give the western and anglicised name of the bird too.

15. Two airlines use mythological birds. Name the birds and respective airlines (both bird names end with "a")

Other (winged) non-bird animals

16. Marsupial answered
Spoiler

17. Sea horse answered
Spoiler

18. Tiger (name two if not three airlines - all have a common lineage) (partially answered - this one is for real old timers)
Spoiler

19. Two airlines use antelopes (though only one is winged): name the airlines and the type of antelope answered
Spoiler

20. These two airlines (of the same country) featured a man with a raptor head dress answered
Spoiler

21. This engine manufacturer used an eagle as its engine logo answered
Spoiler

Bonus Questions

1. This airline has at least one special livery aircraft that features a cartoon character of human dressed as a predatory animal species responsible for killing billions of birds every year. Name the character too. answered
Spoiler

2. re: Question 18 above. One airline that is descended from two of the airlines and is parent to the other. It does not use a tiger but has a stylised and unnamed(?) bird. Name this airline answered
Spoiler

3. (modified) This airline and its descendants used a stylised bird logo. The name of the logo was also at least one of the two airline's ATC callsign and is used by the airlines' current incarnation. Name the two three airlines and the logo's name answered
Spoiler

3A. Another airline merged with/into one of the airlines in question 3 used a winged lion as its logo. Name the airline answered
Spoiler

4. Two airlines (one is actually a family of airlines) used winged lions, one is linked with the airline in question 3 answered
Spoiler

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Mar 19, 2020 at 9:47 am
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
these are **great** questions!

4- Eastern for sure (1950s/60s “Golden Falcon” service); I want to say Gulf Air as well
9- Ozark (three green stylized green swallows)
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:44 am

21. This engine manufacturer used an eagle as its engine logo
Pratt & Whitney "Dependable Engines"
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:48 am

18. Tiger (name two if not three airlines - all have a common lineage)
Tiger airways
currently in Australia and Taiwan.
The Singapore operation merged into Scoot.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
these are **great** questions!

4- Eastern for sure (1950s/60s “Golden Falcon” service); I want to say Gulf Air as well
9- Ozark (three green stylized green swallows)
4. I was thinking Gulf Air but will EA is an answer too. Never figured out if EA logo was a just a bird.
9. Ozark swallows are silver but they are multiple (3) swallows at any rate

Originally Posted by KT550
Yep. Do they still have logos? Can't remember the last time I flew on a large (or any) jet with a P&W engines though.

Tiger airways
currently in Australia and Taiwan.
The Singapore operation merged into Scoot.
1 right. Hint: the answer are 2nd and 3rd level predecessors
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
9. Ozark swallows are silver but they are multiple (3) swallows at any rate
two of the three in the logo on the aircraft are green (not my pic, but N4218 was my only flight on OZ)

Can't remember the last time I flew on a large (or any) jet with a P&W engines though.
any 727-100/200, 737-100/200, DC-9-10/20/30/40/50, MD-80; AC’s 767s (also AA, UA, TW among early customers)
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:04 am

Programs: BA
I remember a print ad in the late 1970s, probably when competition for 747 engines was starting. One side had a pastiche of the P&W logo, as close as could be got without breaching trademarks. It had the "Dependable Engines" bit in the outer circle, same font, but not the P&W name, and a different bird in the middle on the blue background, though nothing silly. The text above this read "Some manufacturers have to tell you that their engines are reliable". Above the right hand side was"With us, our name is sufficient".

Roll-Royce logo underneath.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
two of the three in the logo on the aircraft are green (not my pic, but N4218 was my only flight on OZ)
Question duly amended.(nevr saw an Ozark liveried plane in real life)

any 727-100/200, 737-100/200, DC-9-10/20/30/40/50, MD-80; AC’s 767s (also AA, UA, TW among early customers)

Any JT8D (or derivative) engine has been over 10 years for me. I think my earliest P-W memory is JT-3s on QF 707s, and then on various 747s. I think my last wide-body P-W-powered flights for sure were on NW (DC10, 742 and 744). Most recent (and common) would be turboprops (DH8s and ATRs). You just don't see the engine maker's logo displayed so much these days.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/6951499
QF 707 engine with QF V-jet and P-W logo

NW 744 with no engine maker logo
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
17. Seahorse

Air France?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
17. Seahorse

Air France?
Yes. Not on the tail fin but certainly on the fuselage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.