Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Alaska Airlines 737-200 Combi
2 pallets: 72 passengers (
This is the configuration I experienced most in my many flights aboard Alaska's combis)
3 pallets: 56 passengers
4 pallets: 32 passengers
5 pallets: 26 passengers

My source for this question was seat charts posted in a 1995 OAG. That 5th pallet must've been pretty small to only make a difference of 6 passengers.
I wonder what the capacity was when the overwing exit was just aft of the divider? 56 or 72? This was how it was during the two times I was on one. I needed to fly to Seattle but for the same number of Northwest miles, one could book an award to Nome with a stopover in SEA. Why not even though SEA was the bulk of the trip, not OME?!
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
51. (1965) In early 1965, the plane spotting at Phoenix’s Sky Harbor International Airport is pretty good with a nice variety of jets and props coming through each day. There are however two types of jet aircraft regularly seen at your old hometown airport in Cleveland that at present are not seen in Phoenix. Identify these two aircraft types, keeping in mind that it’s early 1965.
51- based on the carriers that I recall serving PHX at this time (American, Bonanza, Continental, Frontier, TWA, and Western), I’ll speculate that one was the DC-8 and the other was certainly United’s Caravelle
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
64. (MISC) Identify the first African airline to operate a fleet in excess of 100 aircraft (At the same time, not total)I presume this has to be Ethiopian, in the last few years. I seem to have seen them everywhere in recent times, all over Europe, Hong Kong, USA. Generally rather world-weary looking expat flight crews and creased dark green uniforms, all straight out of a Graham Green novel.

In June of 2018, Ethiopian took delivery of its 100th aircraft, a Boeing 787-900, becoming the first African airline to reach the milestone. It has five more Boeing 787-900s on order along with 16 Airbus A350s among others (737 MAX).

46 . (1959) Who’d have ever thought that there’d be a direct flight from Istanbul straight through to Buenos Aires? Not you! But sure enough, there is one operating every Thursday morning. Only thing is, eight stops are made enroute. Holy moly! Still, you’re up for an air tour, so you book yourself a seat. In First Class, of course. Identify the airline, all eight stops in order and the aircraft type.

I think this is one that had been running for several years, I noticed it in my old 1956 Bradshaws Air Guide. Panair do Brasil, a through flight all the way from Beirut in Lebanon to Rio, Sao Paolo, and BA. 8 stops; this is going to be guessing, but Beirut-Istanbul-Rome-Madrid-Lisbon, across Europe. Then probably Dakar in West Africa and the minimum run over to Natal in Brasil. RIO, SAO, BUE. That's 7. Eighth is a complete guess. Recife ? Probably a DC-6.

Spot on, Mr. M! And close enough on the routing (Let's clear this one off sooner rather than later!) although this flight did not route through Beirut or Natal and the flight was listed as operating with a DC-7. Panair also served Beirut but the return routing was slightly different. Here's the schedule for this flight:

Panair do Brasil PB 267 Istanbul (IST) 1140a-205p Rome (FCO) 300p-630p Madrid (MAD) 710p-735p Lisbon (LIS) 900p-325p Dakar (DAK) 410a-735a Recife (RCE) 835a-1235p Rio de Janeiro (RIO) 145p-300p Sao Paulo (SAP) 340p-555p Porto Allegre (PTA) 640p-859p Buenos Aires (BUE) DC-7 Th only

Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
51. (1965) In early 1965, the plane spotting at Phoenix’s Sky Harbor International Airport is pretty good with a nice variety of jets and props coming through each day. There are however two types of jet aircraft regularly seen at your old hometown airport in Cleveland that at present are not seen in Phoenix. Identify these two aircraft types, keeping in mind that it’s early 1965.

Based on the carriers that I recall serving PHX at this time (American, Bonanza, Continental, Frontier, TWA, and Western), I’ll speculate that one was the DC-8 and the other was certainly United’s Caravelle

Your memory serves you well, J. Although the Caravelle never served Sky Harbor, the DC-8 would have arrived with Delta and later United. I flew stretch 8s from both carriers into PHX in 1979 (DL) and 1988 (UA).
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well alrighty then, let's move right on to Round II. As always, please limit your response to no more than two questions per day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers here. Thanks!

36. (2001) Finally! Two direct flights between Austin and Chicago’s Midway Airport! Okay, so there’s a single enroute stop but since Midway’s located on Chicago’s south side, it’s far more convenient to your business needs than O’Hare. Identify the airline, the enroute stop and aircraft type operating these flights.
The airline was Vanguard and the flight stopped at MCI. Still need aircraft though...

37. (1975) Per schedules available in an early 1975 North American OAG, identify the easternmost, southernmost, westernmost and northernmost points in the North American region served by the Lockheed L-188 Electra. Additionally, Identify the airline that operates each flight.

38. (2001) After a month of beach combing along Mexico’s west coast, it’s time to return home to St. Louis. Imagine then your surprise and delight to learn that there’s a twice weekly nonstop flight from Puerto Vallarta direct to St. Louis! Woohoo! Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon!
It's neither AA not TW and it's not the MD80

39 . (1959) You’re flying from San Francisco to San Diego aboard a flight marketed as “The Coronado” One stop will be made enroute and a continental breakfast will be served on the first leg. Identify the airline you’re flying on, the enroute stop and the aircraft type.
A N S W E R E D

40 . (1959) From San Diego you’ll continue on to Dallas, Texas. There’s a well-timed departure out of Lindbergh every Friday evening offering something called Royal Cavalier Service. Hmm. Sounds nice. Let’s book it. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

41. (1995) For years you’ve enjoyed escaping the hustle and bustle of your home in Mexico City for your annual ski vacation in Vail, Colorado. The only downside is that for just as many years you’ve had to suffer the discomfort of economy class travel on Mexicana up to Denver connecting to a tiny turboprop into Eagle County Airport. At 6’5” and 230 lbs, you’d really appreciate a more spacious option. Well Seńor, that day has arrived – at least on the return flight – with a well-timed online connection offering First Class seats on both nonstop flights. Ay Chihuahua! Book it, Pedro! Identify the airline, the aircraft type and the connecting city.
A N S W E R E D

43. (1965) Per schedules published in a North American OAG from early 1965, this is the longest nonstop flight operated by a propeller driven aircraft. Identify the airline, the aircraft type and the route.
A N S W E R E D

49 . (1959) You’ve had a wonderful time sailing from Bermuda to Montego Bay, Jamaica. Too bad you can’t sail home to Chicago. Fortunately, one airline operates a direct two-stop flight from Montego Bay straight through to Chicago. You won’t have to connect in Miami! Woo Hoo! Name the airline you’ll be flying, the two enroute stops in order and of course the aircraft type.
A N S W E R E D

50. (1995) Mexico City is well served with flights from the Bay Area airports of San Francisco, Oakland and San Jose. San Francisco has a wide variety of nonstop or direct flights from multiple airlines. San Jose and Oakland are each served by a single airline offering direct flights to MEX. Identify each airline with direct service from SJC and OAK to MEX as well as the type of equipment each operated on its respective flights.
A N S W E R E D

54. (2001) For years it seems like the only places you could fly direct to out of Bangor, Maine were ex-Northeast Airlines routes down east. Things are looking up though with a new two-stop direct flight from Bangor to San Juan, Puerto Rico. Identify the airline, the enroute stops and the aircraft type to be used on this new service.

55 . (1959) You’re booked aboard a one stop flight between Montreal and Bermuda marketed per the schedule as the “Honeymoon Special” It’s a Saturday only departure which works perfectly for you and your wife who are celebrating your 8th wedding anniversary. Name the airline you’re flying upon, the enroute stop and the aircraft type.
A N S W E R E D

56. (1995) You’ve just been offered a chance to join the editorial staff of Milwaukee based Kalmbach
Publishing, publishers of your favorite monthly periodical, Trains Magazine. First however, you’ll have to fly to Milwaukee for an interview. From your home in Salt Lake City, you’re surprised to find that no airline offers nonstop flights to Milwaukee. In fact, only one airline even offers direct flights with two almost daily departures. You book a seat on the afternoon flight. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type.

61. (1975) You need to fly from San Juan, PR to Boston. Both of the nonstop flights are sold out but there is a single daily one-stop direct flight that does have space in both First Class and Coach. First Class, please. The flight also has an equipment change at the enroute stopover point. Identify the airline, the routing and the two aircraft types employed on this flight.

62 . (1959) You’re flying on a domestic flight to Miami, Florida. The service could not be finer and you can even have a drink in a galley equipped lounge after lunch. Only one flight fits the bill. Identify the airline and which city you’re flying into Miami from.

63. (Winter of 1975) Based solely upon schedules found in the North American OAG, identify the longest nonstop flight of a Lockheed L-188 Electra found therein.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 11, 2020 at 3:07 pm
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
39 . (1959) You’re flying from San Francisco to San Diego aboard a flight marketed as “The Coronado” One stop will be made enroute and a continental breakfast will be served on the first leg. Identify the airline you’re flying on, the enroute stop and the aircraft type.
39- I don’t recall either Western or United nicknaming their intra-state flights, and I don’t believe that Pacific Airlines served San Diego

that leaves PSA, which in 1959 would have been running the DC-6 throughout their system ... I suspect this flight routed via Burbank (BUR)
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I don’t recall either Western or United nicknaming their intra-state flights, and I don’t believe that Pacific Airlines served San Diego. That leaves PSA, which in 1959 would have been running the DC-6 throughout their system ... I suspect this flight routed via Burbank (BUR)

Your suspicions as well as your memory are 100% correct, J Here's the schedule:

PSA PS 902 San Francisco (SFO) 900a-1040a B Burbank (BUR) 1055a-1135a (SAN) DC-6 Daily
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Caravelle and BAC One-Eleven
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

49. (1959) You’ve had a wonderful time sailing from Bermuda to Montego Bay, Jamaica. Too bad you can’t sail home to Chicago. Fortunately, one airline operates a direct two-stop flight from Montego Bay straight through to Chicago. You won’t have to connect in Miami! Woo Hoo! Name the airline you’ll be flying, the two enroute stops in order and of course the aircraft type.
49- Delta had been operating between Jamaica and New Orleans for a while ... I was originally thinking an intermediate stop between MSY and Chicago, probably Memphis (MEM), but it occurred to me that we recently discussed southbound service from MSY that actually stopped in Havana (HAV) ... in 1959 MBJ-HAV-MSY probably featured Golden Crown DC-7B service, and most likely terminated at Chicago Midway (MDW)

38. (2001) After a month of beach combing along Mexico’s west coast, it’s time to return home to St. Louis. Imagine then your surprise and delight to learn that there’s a twice weekly nonstop flight from Puerto Vallarta direct to St. Louis! Woohoo! Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon!
38- this was right around the time of the AA/TW merger ... STL was of course TW's hub, which AA as the surviving carrier maintained for several more years; iirc TW never served Mexico, so it's far more likely that PVR<-->STL was an AA operation ... as far as the equipment, by 2001 the bare-metal 727s and 72Ss were fast disappearing from the AA fleet as the MD-80s came on line, so I'd guess they ran a MadDog on this route

Last edited by jrl767; Feb 10, 2020 at 10:23 am
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687

Caravelle and BAC One-Eleven

Ah... jrl767 beat you to it on this one, Herb. See post 17762 just above.

Since you mention the BAC-111 though - you've got me wondering if any airline ever served PHX with the iconic British twinjet. Pacific Express would have come somewhat close with service to PSP, but nothing else comes to mind...
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

49. (1959) You’ve had a wonderful time sailing from Bermuda to Montego Bay, Jamaica. Too bad you can’t sail home to Chicago. Fortunately, one airline operates a direct two-stop flight from Montego Bay straight through to Chicago. You won’t have to connect in Miami! Woo Hoo! Name the airline you’ll be flying, the two enroute stops in order and of course the aircraft type.

Delta had been operating between Jamaica and New Orleans for a while ... I was originally thinking an intermediate stop between MSY and Chicago, probably Memphis (MEM), but it occurred to me that we recently discussed southbound service from MSY that actually stopped in Havana (HAV) ... in 1959 MBJ-HAV-MSY probably featured Golden Crown DC-7B service, and most likely terminated at Chicago Midway (MDW)

Your memory serves you well, J - Delta it was along the routing you recalled. Here's the schedule:Delta DL 750 Montego Bay (MBJ) 1245p-216p L Havana (HAV) 250p-413p New Orleans (MSY) 545p-855p D Chicago (MDW) DC-7 Mo We Sa only

38. (2001) After a month of beachcombing along Mexico’s west coast, it’s time to return home to St. Louis. Imagine then your surprise and delight to learn that there’s a twice weekly nonstop flight from Puerto Vallarta direct to St. Louis! Woohoo! Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon!
This was right around the time of the AA/TW merger ... STL was of course TW's hub, which AA as the surviving carrier maintained for several more years; iirc TW never served Mexico, so it's far more likely that PVR<-->STL was an AA operation ... as far as the equipment, by 2001 the bare-metal 727s and 72Ss were fast disappearing from the AA fleet as the MD-80s came on line, so I'd guess they ran a MadDog on this route

A most logical supposition, J, but alas, it was neither AA nor TW and the MD80 was not the airliner of record. Please, guess again...
Old Feb 10, 2020, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

36. (2001) Finally! Two direct flights between Austin and Chicago’s Midway Airport! Okay, so there’s a single enroute stop but since Midway’s located on Chicago’s south side, it’s far more convenient to your business needs than O’Hare. Identify the airline, the enroute stop and aircraft type operating these flights.

55 . (1959) You’re booked aboard a one stop flight between Montreal and Bermuda marketed per the schedule as the “Honeymoon Special” It’s a Saturday only departure which works perfectly for you and your wife who are celebrating your 8th wedding anniversary. Name the airline you’re flying upon, the enroute stop and the aircraft type.
36. Wild guess time.....Continental operating B737-500 service via Houston Intercontinental (IAH).

55. I think this was Trans-Canada Air Lines (TCA) operating via Toronto (YYZ). If so, aircraft was probably a Canadair North Star, which was a DC-4 modified with Rolls-Royce Merlin engines. I believe the R-R engines increased the cruising speed of the airplane by around 100 knots or so.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

Wild guess time.....Continental operating B737-500 service via Houston Intercontinental (IAH).

Sounds reasonable to me, JL - but what do I know? Turns out we're looking for another airline that doesn't operate any 737-500s. Please guess again!!

I think this was Trans-Canada Air Lines (TCA) operating via Toronto (YYZ). If so, aircraft was probably a Canadair North Star, which was a DC-4 modified with Rolls-Royce Merlin engines. I believe the R-R engines increased the cruising speed of the airplane by around 100 knots or so.

Ah, but it was not TCA. Nope, we're looking for a different airline that never operated the Northstar. I suspect you'll get this one next time...
Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest

Wild guess time.....Continental operating B737-500 service via Houston Intercontinental (IAH).

Sounds reasonable to me, JL - but what do I know? Turns out we're looking for another airline that doesn't operate any 737-500s. Please guess again!!
Well, Southwest would be too obvious, but Delta flies to Midway and still had their DFW hub, so how about that? Aircraft would be their new (at the time) 737-800.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by strickerj

Well, Southwest would be too obvious, but Delta flies to Midway and still had their DFW hub, so how about that? Aircraft would be their new (at the time) 737-800.

Another good guess, and quite plausible. However, the airline we're looking for has never operated a 737-800 and the enroute stop was not in Texas. Please - guess again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.