Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
48. (1975) What a great way to break up the winter blues. After driving down to Florida, you’ll be heading to St. Maarten for a week of sailing around the eastern Caribbean. Only one airline provides direct flights from Miami to SXM – a daily 2 stopper - and thankfully they’ve got plenty of seats available. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two enroute stops.

St. Maarten was still relatively undeveloped during the mid 1970s and I think the only major U.S. air carrier serving SXM back then was Eastern with service primarily from their San Juan hub and also from New York. However, I do not think this two stop service was operated by Eastern. So let's go with an air carrier that operated a milk run of sorts which we have discussed in the past between Miami and the French controlled islands further south: Air France. I'll guess the equipment was a B737-200, perhaps in all-coach configuration, and the two en route stops were Port au Prince (PAP) and San Juan (SJU). And I also wonder if this was back when the aircraft operated on this service was actually a Western Airlines 73S operated by WA flight crews under contract to AF.

There's no sneaking stuff like this past you, jlemon! I figured most people would go for Eastern or ALM but not you. And you are of course spot on! Here's the schedule:

Air France AF 351 Miami (MIA) 350p-435p S Port Au Prince (PAP) 505p-715p San Juan (SJU) 735p-820p S St. Maarten (SXM) Boeing 737-200 Daily

65. (1975) You’ve just received an invitation from an old business associate to join him and his wife on a ski trip in Park City, Utah. Can you make it? Oh, you betcha! For sure though, there’s nothing direct between your home in Fayetteville, Arkansas and Salt Lake City. A call to your travel agent reveals that there’s an excellent online connection (same airline all the way through) that’ll get you into Salt Lake City mid-afternoon on Saturday. It’ll involve a one stop flight to the connection city and then nonstop to SLC. Identify the airline, the connecting city, the one enroute stop on the first flight and the two different aircraft types involved here.
Frontier Airlines CVR/73S is correct. Still looking for the routing including connection point.

Let's see if I can complete this one: I know that Frontier operated nonstop service between Dallas/Fort Worth and Salt Lake City during ski season back then with the B737-200 although the nonstop flights may have been on the weekends only with one stop service on weekdays. So I'll guess this was indeed a 73S nonstop to SLC with DFW being the connection point. And as for the originating CV-580 flight from FYV (the old airport) down to DFW, it probably stopped in Ft. Smith (FSM) with this route being inherited from Central Airlines.

That's the ticket, JL. Here's the schedule:

Frontier Airlines FL 575 Fayetteville (FYV) 1141a-1159a Ft. Smith (FSM) 1213p-112p S Dallas (DAL) CVR Daily
Frontier Airlines FL 769 Dallas (DAL) 200p-329p Salt Lake City (SLC) 737-200 Sat. only
Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by strickerj
42. (MISC) What was the first US airline ever to purchase a foreign built airliner? What type of airliner was it?

I'm thinking that's United's Caravelle, around 1960.

A good guess, Mr. S, but no - we're looking for an aircraft type purchased a bit earlier than the Caravelle. Please, guess again!

58. (MISC) Identify the only airline to operate all five variants of the MD80.

AeroMexico?

An excellent guess! And you are close - very close! However, while Aeromexico operated the -82, -83, -87 and -88, it did not operate any -81s. Keep at it. I see success on this one in your future
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
42. (MISC) What was the first US airline ever to purchase a foreign built airliner? What type of airliner was it?
42- how about Capital Airlines, which I believe introduced the Vickers Viscount ~1955

(extra credit: the first North American operator of the Viscount was Trans-Canada Airlines ~1954)

53- hmmmmmmm ...iirc TWA ran 707s on HNL-LAX, but I think Western is a more likely candidate for the all-coach-configured jets, so I’ll speculate that TW also operated LAX-TUS
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

How about Capital Airlines, which I believe introduced the Vickers Viscount ~1955

Correct! As an added Bonus Question, can you identify the three U.S. airlines that ordered Viscounts fresh from the factory?

53. (1975) You need to fly from Guam to Tucson, AZ. You’ve found a routing that involves three flights – each operated by a different airline, but each utilizing the same aircraft type. On one of the flights, the aircraft is operated in an all-economy class configuration. In each case, connection time will be no more than 2 hours 15 minutes. Please identify the routing, each airline involved and the aircraft type.
Hmmmmmmm ...iirc TWA ran 707s on HNL-LAX, but I think Western is a more likely candidate for the all-coach-configured jets, so I’ll speculate that TW also operated LAX-TUS

Amidst your two attempts at answering this question, you've managed to correctly identify all three airlines involved. Now you just have to get them all in the right order. TWA was not the airline into Tucson. It should be a simple 9" tap-in from here on...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 8, 2020 at 6:05 pm
Old Feb 8, 2020, 6:50 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
42- how about Capital Airlines, which I believe introduced the Vickers Viscount ~1955
You beat me to this. My first flight was on a Capital Viscount, although by then it was under the UA banner.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
53- 707s: GUM-HNL PA F/Y; HNL-LAX TW Y; LAX-TUS AA F/Y

bonus: Capital, Continental, and Aloha were the U.S. carriers that ordered the Viscount

Last edited by jrl767; Feb 8, 2020 at 11:08 pm
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

53. (1975) You need to fly from Guam to Tucson, AZ. You’ve found a routing that involves three flights – each operated by a different airline, but each utilizing the same aircraft type. On one of the flights, the aircraft is operated in an all-economy class configuration. In each case, connection time will be no more than 2 hours 15 minutes. Please identify the routing, each airline involved and the aircraft type.

707s: GUM-HNL PA F/Y; HNL-LAX TW Y; LAX-TUS AA F/Y

OMG! I can't believe it! After being so close, you MISSED the 9" put. Well then, knowing what you now know, this should be more like a 3" tap-in. Good luck, J!

Bonus Question: Can you identify the three U.S. airlines that ordered Viscounts fresh from the factory?

Capital, Continental, and Aloha were the U.S. carriers that ordered the Viscount

Capitol and Continental are correct! Alas, the same cannot be said for Aloha which acquired its first two Viscounts secondhand from Austrian Airlines and its third from Northeast Airlines. Another tap-in awaits...
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

53- as witness this last “putt” it should be evident that I play golf backwards :/
LAX-TUS WA F/Y

42 (bonus)- I think you just handed me this one — Northeast
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

53- As witness this last “putt” it should be evident that I play golf backwards :/ LAX-TUS WA F/Y

OMG! MISSED again! I can't believe it! I'm pretty sure Western never few any 707s into Tucson. Historically, most of their flights went through PHX. You now have a 2" put. Take the blindfold off and do it! Get in the hole!!!

42 (bonus)- I think you just handed me this one — Northeast

Now we're cookin'! Northeast is correct - along with Capital and Continental
Old Feb 9, 2020, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

44. (1995) Per schedules reflected in the North American OAG, three airlines operate scheduled flights with 747s into Miami. One airline operates its 747 in a single class configuration (Classes: TQ), one operates in a two class configuration (Classes: J/YMBH) and one in a 3 class configuration (Classes: F/C/YBQ). Identify each of the three airlines.
44. I think Tower Air was operating 747 service into Miami at this time (probably from New York and perhaps Los Angeles as well) so there's my guess for the the single class service. I also remember seeing Air Canada 747 aircraft at MIA during the winter months and I seem to recall AC had a two class configuration with business and coach cabins (and I think their 747 flight was from Toronto). As for the three class 747 service, United had a significant presence at one point at MIA with flights to Latin America and the Caribbean as well as domestic service so I'll go with UA with a 747 flight from their ORD megahub.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 9, 2020 at 10:48 am
Old Feb 9, 2020, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

44. (1995) Per schedules reflected in the North American OAG, three airlines operate scheduled flights with 747s into Miami. One airline operates its 747 in a single class configuration (Classes: TQ), one operates in a two class configuration (Classes: J/YMBH) and one in a 3 class configuration (Classes: F/C/YBQ). Identify each of the three airlines.
Whoops....duplicate post.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 9, 2020 at 9:05 am Reason: duplicate post
Old Feb 9, 2020, 10:26 am

58. (MISC) Identify the only airline to operate all five variants of the MD80
It was not Aeromexico
A tricky one, given that it is possible to convert any of the 81, 82 or 83 variants to another.

Allegiant Air might be the answer
Old Feb 9, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond

(extra credit: the first North American operator of the Viscount was Trans-Canada Airlines ~1954)
Nice reminder -- I flew the Viscount with TCA in 1962, and with Capital in 1962 and 1963. I recall relatively large windows.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

53- I’m confused ... Pan Am is a given; LAX-TUS is AA, since both TW and WA have been explicitly eliminated; and I’ve guessed both WA and TW for LAX-HNL

first guess (post # 17721)
GUM-HNL: PA (F/Y)
HNL-LAX: WA (Y)
LAX-TUS: AA (F/Y)
reply (post # 17724) “two out of three”

second guess (post # 17733)
HNL-LAX: WA (Y)
LAX-TUS: TW (F/Y)
reply (post # 17734) “TW not into TUS”

third guess (post # 17736)
HNL-LAX: TW (Y)
LAX-TUS: AA (F/Y)
reply (post # 17737) “so close”

fourth guess (post # 17738)

HNL-LAX: TW (Y)
LAX-TUS: WA (F/Y)
reply (post # 17739) “WA not into TUS”
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

I think Tower Air was operating 747 service into Miami at this time (probably from New York and perhaps Los Angeles as well) so there's my guess for the the single class service. I also remember seeing Air Canada 747 aircraft at MIA during the winter months and I seem to recall AC had a two class configuration with business and coach cabins (and I think their 747 flight was from Toronto). As for the three class 747 service, United had a significant presence at one point at MIA with flights to Latin America and the Caribbean as well as domestic service so I'll go with UA with a 747 flight from their ORD megahub.

Good guess, JL! You're two-thirds the way there. Tower Air from New York and Air Canada from Toronto are correct. However, although United has in the past operated 747s into Miami from a variety of destinations including Cleveland, during the period reflected in the schedules I referenced for this question, United had deployed its 747s elsewhere. So then, we're looking for just one more airline. Go get 'em!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.