Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
32. (2001) Over the years, a number of different airlines have tried their hand at offering low cost single class nonstop service between Chicago (ORD, MDW) and Los Angeles (LAX). In mid-2001, just two airlines offer such flights – one out of Midway and one out of O’Hare. Identify each airline and the aircraft type it operates on its respective route.

American Trans, MDW-LAX, Boeing 757
North American, ORD-LAX, Boeing 757 (code share with El Al)

OMG! What're you guys doing up at this hour?! Well Mr. T - you're clearly halfway awake as ATA's 757 between Midway and LAX is correct! Alas, North American is not. In fact, does anybody here know if North American was allowed to sell tickets for U.S. domestic travel or did they exist solely to operate on behalf of EL AL for "conditional stopover traffic only" on U.S. routes? Anyway, we need one more airline here, operating out of O'Hare.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
24 . (1988) In the years since deregulation, a lot of airlines have offered nonstop service from Long Island’s Macarthur Airport to Florida. By mid-1988 however, only one airline still provides nonstop service from Florida into ISP. Identify the airline and the two Floridian cities served.

I have two possibilities, both of which operated the 737-300; the mental coin flip came up tails ... as in “golden tails” ... as in Continental

Sorry, J - it wasn't Continental. As to aircraft type, remember - same model, different variants - really a moot point though as they weren't a required part of the answer. That said, awareness of such may provide a hint as to the airline of record...
Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
1. What is the aircraft in the top picture (Star Alliance)? What airline did it last fly for, which is probably a Star Alliance airline. My guess is probably Scandinavian, less likely Spanair.

Underneath the C and E of ALLIANCE you can make out the red and yellow of the Spanish flag. I vote for Spanair.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 3, 2020 at 2:12 am
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:14 am

Programs: BA
does anybody here know if North American was allowed to sell tickets for U.S. domestic travel or did they exist solely to operate on behalf of EL AL for "conditional stopover traffic only" on U.S. routes? Anyway, we need one more airline here, operating out of O'Hare.
North American was a US airline and quite able to sell tickets within the US in the deregulated world. However, I understand that the flights they operated for El Al, who had some shareholding in the carrier, were under the terms of their contract with El Al only available to those who had purchased El Al tickets to/from Israel, and been subject to El Al's own security procedures.

However the El Al contract didn't use the aircraft full time, or even all the aircraft, and they did the usual US charter stuff of holiday flights to the Caribbean and services for the US military.

Irish short-lived holiday airline Eirjet was short of aircraft at the time discussed, and operated a chartered North American 757, still in its full livery, from Dublin and Cork to the Mediterranean resorts. I was going to Cork a lot in 2004-5 and regularly saw it there, thinking at first it was doing charters to the USA, it turned out to be nothing as exotic.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

9. (1995) In a perusal of the OAG preparatory to your flight from Phoenix to Las Vegas, you are surprised to find that only one airline operates flights with aircraft built in neighboring California. Identify that airline and the aircraft type it operates on the PHX-LAS route.

17 . (1988) Your daughter’s just completed her junior year at the University of Illinois. You all lived in nearby Joliet when she started school, but since then you’ve moved to Coral Gables, Florida. A call to your travel agent reveals a pleasant surprise – there’s a one stop direct flight from Champaign to nearby Miami International. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft and the single intermediate stop.
9. Hmmmmm.....perhaps this was a tag route operated by a major air carrier. So let's try TWA operating an MD-80 from Phoenix to Las Vegas.

17. Ah, it wasn't TWA operating a former Ozark route. Well, then.....I believe Piedmont was still operating a hub in Dayton at this time. If so, the equipment may have been a B737-200 operating from Champaign to Miami via DAY.

And congratulations to the Kansas City (Super) Chiefs! The Chiefs last won a Super Bowl way back in 1970 against the Minnesota Vikings and the game was played at Tulane Stadium in New Orleans (which was before the New Orleans Superdome had been completed).

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 3, 2020 at 11:00 am Reason: Congrats to the KC Chiefs
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
24- well, the other ISP-MCO/FLL airline I had thought of also operated the 737-400 ... US Airways

as for the TWA TriStar at Kingman ... zooming in, it looks to me like the last character is basically vertical; a bit of research showed that a handful of TW jets with a registration meeting that criterion are listed as "Scrapped at IGM" (N15017, N31031, N7036T)

and btw that's a **GREAT** pic of the Joshua tree in silhouette, esp with the contrail in the distance
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
9. (1995) In a perusal of the OAG preparatory to your flight from Phoenix to Las Vegas, you are surprised to find that only one airline operates flights with aircraft built in neighboring California. Identify that airline and the aircraft type it operates on the PHX-LAS route.

Hmmmmm.....perhaps this was a tag route operated by a major air carrier. So let's try TWA operating an MD-80 from Phoenix to Las Vegas.

Sounds good to me, but NO! We're looking for a different airline that did not operate an MD80. Please, guess again!

17 . (1988) Your daughter’s just completed her junior year at the University of Illinois. You all lived in nearby Joliet when she started school, but since then you’ve moved to Coral Gables. A call to your travel agent reveals a pleasant surprise – there’s a one stop direct flight from Champaign to nearby Miami International. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft and the single intermediate stop.

Ah, it wasn't TWA operating a former Ozark route. Well, then.....I believe Piedmont was still operating a hub in Dayton at this time. If so, the equipment may have been a B737-200 operating from Champaign to Miami via DAY.

I believe you're right, JL Here's the schedule:

Piedmont PI 464 Champaign (CMI) 210p-354p Dayton (DAY) 434p-708p D Miami (MIA) 737-200
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

24 . (1988) In the years since deregulation, a lot of airlines have offered nonstop service from Long Island’s Macarthur Airport to Florida. By mid-1988 however, only one airline still provides nonstop service from Florida into ISP. Identify the airline and the two Floridian cities served.

Well, the other ISP-MCO/FLL airline I had thought of also operated the 737-400 ... US Airways

It was not US Airways. For what it's worth, the airline we're looking for did not operate 737s.

And btw that's a **GREAT** pic of the Joshua tree in silhouette, esp with the contrail in the distance

Thanks! It's hard to take bad picture at sunset in the Mojave. Truth be told however, I used my laptop's rudimentary photo editing abilities to enhance the color just a wee bit.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The questions are falling like dominos here, gang! Following jlemon's lead with his questions, I am going to request that you please limit your response to no more than two questions per day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers here. Thanks!

2 . (1988) You’ve recently relocated to a new job in Ft. Myers, Florida and you now have your first travel assignment – a trip to San Diego. A check of your pocket flight guide reveals lots of connection possibilities, but what’s this? There’s a single direct flight that will put you into San Diego in perfect time for a late dinner with colleagues flying in from the Pacific Northwest. The flight makes three stops enroute, but hey – it sure beats connecting in Atlanta or Dallas. Name the airline, aircraft and the three enroute stops.

A N S W E R E D

10 . (1959) Back in 1959, two airlines operated nonstop flights from Seattle to Fairbanks. Unfortunately for you, they’re all sold out on the weekend you need to travel. Thankfully, there are still three seats left on a three-stopper departing Sunday morning. It’ll take 8:45 to get to Fairbanks, but at least you won’t be faced with any long layovers. Name the airline, the three enroute stops in order and the aircraft type involved.
A N S W E R E D

11 . (1988) You’ve just received an invitation for your granddaughter’s wedding, to be held in San Antonio, Texas late this spring. Normally you’d drive because you don’t like to fly – in fact it’s been 20 years since you last flew – but you’re getting up there in years and the drive to south Texas is a bit farther than you’d like these days. You call Continental airlines – the one you flew last time from Wichita to Texas – and are disappointed to hear that Continental no longer offers a direct flight to San Antonio. A second call to a local travel agent does however reveal a single daily direct flight out of Wichita that makes one enroute stop. You’ll take one seat, please. Identify the usual triumvirate – airline, aircraft and enroute stop.

12. (2001) Summer is not the best time to be visiting the Dominican Republic, but if you want a chance at winning the contract to supply air-conditioning for a new 310 room resort outside of Santo Domingo, then off you go. Logging in on your new laptop, you access aa.com only to discover that all of AA’s flights into SDQ are sold out in both First Class and Coach. What the – alright then, who else flies down there? I mean, outside of AA, there aren’t a lot of options these days. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover another airline operating a single daily nonstop flight between Boston and Santo Domingo. Even American has never flown nonstop on this route. You quickly book a First Class seat. Identify the airline and the aircraft type operated here.

16. (2001) It’s been an unusually hot summer in Dallas, so when business calls in the form of a weekend conference in Freeport, Bahamas, you couldn’t be happier. In fact, you’re positively ecstatic upon learning you won’t have to make a connection because there’s a one-stop direct flight between DFW and FPO. You quickly book yourself a seat in the forward cabin and start packing your bag. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.
It's not US Air or TWA, not a 737 or MD80 and the flight did not route via CLT or JFK

18 . (1959) Your little sister is finally getting married and you can’t wait to go to the wedding. Problem is, she’s getting married in San Francisco and you live outside of St. Louis, MO. This is gonna be an expensive trip. And a long one. You’ll probably have a couple of stops enroute. Imagine then your surprise when you discover a flight operating nonstop between St. Louis and Oakland. It leaves St. Louis at 9:00pm, arriving Oakland at 1:25am so you’ll have to overnight at OAK and then catch the ferry across to San Francisco the next day. Identify the airline and aircraft operating this flight.The aircraft was a DC-6 and the airline was Trans- something or other...

It was not US Air, United or Continental and the airline of record did not fly 737s

32. (2001) Over the years, a number of different airlines have tried their hand at offering low cost single class nonstop service between Chicago (ORD, MDW) and Los Angeles (LAX). In mid-2001, just two airlines offer such flights – one out of Midway and one out of O’Hare. Identify each airline and the aircraft type it operates on its respective route.
ATA has been identified, operating out of Midway. Still looking for the other.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 3, 2020 at 9:13 pm
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

It's not TWA and the aircraft is not an MD80
9. I'll try this once again. Back around this time there was a small, rather obscure air carrier by the name of Grand Airways. They operated DC9-30 aircraft between LAS and both DFW and IAH. And I think they flew between LAS and PHX as well before ceasing operations.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
10 . (1959) Back in 1959, two airlines operated nonstop flights from Seattle to Fairbanks. Unfortunately for you, they’re all sold out on the weekend you need to travel. Thankfully, there are still three seats left on a three-stopper departing Sunday morning. It’ll take 8:45 to get to Fairbanks, but at least you won’t be faced with any long layovers. Name the airline, the three enroute stops in order and the aircraft type involved.
10- I think we've mentioned these flights once or twice in the 5+ years that I've been participating here ... Pan Am with a DC-6B via Ketchikan (KTN), Juneau (JNU), and Whitehorse (YXY)
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
It's not TWA and the aircraft is not an MD80

I'll try this once again. Back around this time there was a small, rather obscure air carrier by the name of Grand Airways. They operated DC9-30 aircraft between LAS and both DFW and IAH. And I think they flew between LAS and PHX as well before ceasing operations.

That's the one we're looking for. The OAG lists all of the flights as being operated with "DC9" equipment, but so far as I know, Grand operated only the DC-9-30s.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I think we've mentioned these flights once or twice in the 5+ years that I've been participating here ... Pan Am with a DC-6B via Ketchikan (KTN), Juneau (JNU), and Whitehorse (YXY)

Good (re)call, J - Pan American it was via the exact routing you've submitted. However, we're looking for a different aircraft than the DC-6. Tap in time...
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10- seriously? not a DC-6? it surely wasn’t a jet, but there wasn’t anything else in Pan Am’s fleet besides the Boeing 377 Stratocruiser which I’m surprised was still in service in 1959
Old Feb 3, 2020, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

10- seriously? not a DC-6? it surely wasn’t a jet, but there wasn’t anything else in Pan Am’s fleet besides the Boeing 377 Stratocruiser which I’m surprised was still in service in 1959
Yep, the Strat was the aircraft of record. Certainly it had been pulled off Pan Am's mainline international routes, but my guess is the "milkrun" up to Alaska was a good run for its last days with PA. I wish I'd been around to have ridden it back in the day. Day after tomorrow I'll be flying SEA-FAI on yet another nameless 737-900.

So then, question 10 having been fully answered, let's put that schedule out:

Pan American PA 905 Seattle (SEA) 1000a-1240p L Ketchikan (KTN) 105p-225p Juneau (JNU) 310p-310p Whitehorse (YXY) 335p-445p S Fairbanks (FAI) Boeing 377 Stratocruiser Su Th

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.