Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Jan 23, 20, 8:37 pm

Programs: AS DL
59. "Hey man, I'm in Bermuda and we are going to sail the cat to Barbados! Come on over, amigo!" Well, here you go again....and your present location is Chicago. Quick research reveals a direct one stop flight to BDA which operates three days a week that fits your schedule, so off you go! Name the airport you will depart from in Chicago, the air carrier, the stop and the equipment.

--
light bulb!

Kiwi International, MDW-EWR-BDA, 727-200

I think Kiwi used Terminal A in EWR. They were supposed to be a classy airline, not a low cost torture-the-passengers airlines, with many pilots from Eastern
Old Jan 23, 20, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
43. Now it's 1986 and you are in Madison, Wisconsin. Your old sailing buddy has his catamaran moored near La Jolla and needs your help to sail up to Santa Barbara. So that means flying to San Diego. You've found a daily direct flight with an excellent schedule departing MSN in the mid morning hours which will get you into SAN by mid afternoon with this service making two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the equipment. It wasn't Northwest, the aircraft wasn't a B727-100 and stops were not made at RST or MSP
43- Air Wisconsin hadnít yet expanded as a United Airlines affiliate beyond Chicago (and Denver?), and Iím struggling to think of another major airline with mainline service into MSN ... that said, though, before its 1987 acquisition by TWA, Ozark was spreading its wings westward from its St. Louis (STL) hub ... how about Cedar Rapids (CID) for the first stop on this DC-9-30 trip
Old Jan 24, 20, 10:08 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
59. "Hey man, I'm in Bermuda and we are going to sail the cat to Barbados! Come on over, amigo!" Well, here you go again....and your present location is Chicago. Quick research reveals a direct one stop flight to BDA which operates three days a week that fits your schedule, so off you go! Name the airport you will depart from in Chicago, the air carrier, the stop and the equipment.

light bulb!

Kiwi International, MDW-EWR-BDA, 727-200
59. Correct! Here's the sched....

KP 2: Chicago Midway (MDW) 6:30a - 9:30a New York Newark (EWR) 10:45a - 2:05p Bermuda (BDA)
Freq: MDW-EWR daily except Sat. & Sun, EWR-BDA Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays only
Service class: Y
Meal services: Breakfast MDW-EWR, Snack EWR-BDA
Equip: B727-200
Old Jan 24, 20, 10:15 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
43- Air Wisconsin hadn’t yet expanded as a United Airlines affiliate beyond Chicago (and Denver?), and I’m struggling to think of another major airline with mainline service into MSN ... that said, though, before its 1987 acquisition by TWA, Ozark was spreading its wings westward from its St. Louis (STL) hub ... how about Cedar Rapids (CID) for the first stop on this DC-9-30 trip
43. That is a really great guess as I believe Ozark indeed expanded service to San Diego in 1983 with SAN being its only destination in California at the time. In fact, I think San Diego was the only west coast city ever served by OZ and the airline was definitely doing so in 1986.

However.....

It wasn't Ozark, the stops were not made at Cedar Rapids or St. Louis and the aircraft type wasn't a DC9-30.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 24, 20 at 2:03 pm
Old Jan 25, 20, 9:32 am

43. Now it's 1986 and you are in Madison, Wisconsin. Your old sailing buddy has his catamaran moored near La Jolla and needs your help to sail up to Santa Barbara. So that means flying to San Diego. You've found a daily direct flight with an excellent schedule departing MSN in the mid morning hours which will get you into SAN by mid afternoon with this service making two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the equipment. ANSWERED - Frontier operating a B737-200 MSN - MKE - DEN - SAN

55. You're in Chicago in 1991 and it's time to head back to Los Angeles. Now you could catch a nonstop.....but where's the fun in that?! Especially when you've found an interesting direct flight which makes three stops en route and operates six days a week to LAX. Identify the airport you will depart from in Chicago, the airline, all three stops and the aircraft. ANSWERED - Delta operating a B727-200 ORD - SLC - RNO - FAT - LAX

58. It's 1996 and time to head back to Los Angeles one more time....and you are in Colorado Springs. Of course, you're in no hurry....and you've found a direct flight which operates six days a week that makes three stops en route. Identify the airline, all three stops and the aircraft. ANSWERED - Air21 operating a Fokker F.28 Fellowship COS - GJT - LAS - FAT - LAX
And all three of the above now ANSWERED.............

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 26, 20 at 7:31 pm Reason: answer update & removed the hint as # 58 has now been correctly answered
Old Jan 25, 20, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)

Last call ...Plus here's a hint...

A different aircraft type was operated on each of the above flights.....and only one of these aircraft was powered by Rolls-Royce engines.
55. You're in Chicago in 1991 and it's time to head back to Los Angeles. Now you could catch a nonstop.....but where's the fun in that?! Especially when you've found an interesting direct flight which makes three stops en route and operates six days a week to LAX. Identify the airport you will depart from in Chicago, the airline, all three stops and the aircraft.
It wasn't Southwest or United, the equipment wasn't a B737-300 or B737-500 and this flight did not stop at BNA, HOU, PHX, DSM, DEN or SMF....but it did depart from ORD.
55- RR powerplants most likely means a TriStar —Delta L-1011 via Atlanta (ATL), New Orleans (MSY), and Dallas/Ft Worth (DFW)

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 25, 20 at 12:03 pm
Old Jan 25, 20, 11:59 am

Last call ... Plus here's a hint......

A different aircraft type was operated on each of the above flights.....and only one of these aircraft was powered by Rolls-Royce engines.

55. You're in Chicago in 1991 and it's time to head back to Los Angeles. Now you could catch a nonstop.....but where's the fun in that?! Especially when you've found an interesting direct flight which makes three stops en route and operates six days a week to LAX. Identify the airport you will depart from in Chicago, the airline, all three stops and the aircraft. It wasn't Southwest or United, the equipment wasn't a B737-300 or B737-500 and this flight did not stop at BNA, HOU, PHX, DSM, DEN or SMF....but it did depart from ORD.

55- RR powerplants most likely means a TriStar —Delta L-1011 via Atlanta (ATL), New Orleans (MSY), and Dallas/Ft Worth (DFW)
55. Well, you've correctly guessed the airline: Delta.

However, the aircraft wasn't an L-1011 and stops were not made at Atlanta, New Orleans or Dallas/Ft. Worth.
Old Jan 25, 20, 12:43 pm

58. It's 1996 and time to head back to Los Angeles one more time....and you are in Colorado Springs. Of course, you're in no hurry....and you've found a direct flight which operates six days a week that makes three stops en route. Identify the airline, all three stops and the aircraft. It wasn't Reno Air or Western Pacific, the equipment wasn't an MD-80 or B737-300 and stops were not made at RNO, TUS, DEN or SAN. The second stop was LAS.
I was perusing some old timetables with this question in mind and stumbled upon the answer. I figured I'd hold onto it until the last call so as to not ruin the fun for anyone who was still guessing. Now that last call has been made, however, I present the fruits of my research:

Air21, on a Fokker F-28 (not listed on the timetable anywhere I can see it. I had to Google that one separately). The stops were made at GJT, LAS, and FAT.
Old Jan 25, 20, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by dfw88 View Post
I was perusing some old timetables with this question in mind and stumbled upon the answer. I figured I'd hold onto it until the last call so as to not ruin the fun for anyone who was still guessing. Now that last call has been made, however, I present the fruits of my research:

Air21, on a Fokker F-28 (not listed on the timetable anywhere I can see it. I had to Google that one separately). The stops were made at GJT, LAS, and FAT.
58. Correct! Here's the Air21 schedule with the flight being operated with a Rolls-Royce Spey powered aircraft....

A7: Colorado Springs (COS) 1:10p - 2:05p Grand Junction (GJT) 2:40p - 3:05p Las Vegas (LAS) 3:35p - 4:35p Fresno (FAT) 5:10p - 6:05p Los Angeles (LAX)
Freq: COS-FAT Daily, FAT-LAX Daily except Sat.
Service classes: C/Y (I believe "Silver Service" was offered in the C cabin)
Equip: Fokker F.28 Fellowship

Air21 - ALL JET SERVICE
ONE LOW FARE....
Every Coach Seat, Every Flight, Every Day.

And here are a couple of BONUS quiz items....

Bonus #1: Air21 was based in Fresno and operated all flights with the Rolls-Royce powered F.28. In 1996, another airline was serving FAT with a Rolls-Royce powered jet aircraft.....but it wasn't an F.28. Name this R-R powered equipment and the air carrier that operated it into Fresno at this time.

Bonus #2: Another engine type manufactured by a different company was proposed for the Fokker F.28 Fellowship. However, in the end, Fokker went with the Rolls-Royce Spey. Identify the other jet engine manufacturer that was proposing its engine for the F.28.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 25, 20 at 4:07 pm Reason: correction concerning service classes & added bonus quiz items
Old Jan 25, 20, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nicely done ... and that clears up the Rolls-Royce engines issue as well

55- Delta, three stops between ORD and LAX ... how about a 727-200 via Cincinnati (CVG), San Antonio (SAT), and Salt Lake City (SLC)
Old Jan 25, 20, 1:36 pm

nicely done ... and that clears up the Rolls-Royce engines issue as well

55- Delta, three stops between ORD and LAX ... how about a 727-200 via Cincinnati (CVG), San Antonio (SAT), and Salt Lake City (SLC)
55. You are closing in here....

Delta B727-200: Yep!

Stop in Cincinnati: Nope!

Stop in San Antonio: Nope!

Stop in Salt Lake City: Yep!
Old Jan 25, 20, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

55- well, you didn’t identify SLC as being other than the third stop, so the challenge is to find two stops between ORD and there (even though I suspect it would be easier to identify two that are west of SLC, or one on either side) ... since we’ve already ruled the hubs out, let’s try Orlando (MCO) and Tampa (TPA)
Old Jan 25, 20, 4:48 pm

55- well, you didn’t identify SLC as being other than the third stop, so the challenge is to find two stops between ORD and there (even though I suspect it would be easier to identify two that are west of SLC, or one on either side) ... since we’ve already ruled the hubs out, let’s try Orlando (MCO) and Tampa (TPA)
55. Nope, the flight in question did not stop in Orlando or Tampa. And I did not specify whether Salt Lake City was the first, second or third stop - I simply meant to convey that it was one of the stops. So in the interests of moving forward, let it be known that SLC was the first stop.
Old Jan 25, 20, 7:24 pm

Programs: AS DL
58. Correct! Here's the Air21 schedule with the flight being operated with a Rolls-Royce Spey powered aircraft....

A7: Colorado Springs (COS) 1:10p - 2:05p Grand Junction (GJT) 2:40p - 3:05p Las Vegas (LAS) 3:35p - 4:35p Fresno (FAT) 5:10p - 6:05p Los Angeles (LAX)
Freq: COS-FAT Daily, FAT-LAX Daily except Sat.
Service classes: C/Y (I believe "Silver Service" was offered in the C cabin)
Equip: Fokker F.28 Fellowship

Air21 - ALL JET SERVICE
ONE LOW FARE....
Every Coach Seat, Every Flight, Every Day.

And here are a couple of BONUS quiz items....

Bonus #1: Air21 was based in Fresno and operated all flights with the Rolls-Royce powered F.28. In 1996, another airline was serving FAT with a Rolls-Royce powered jet aircraft.....but it wasn't an F.28. Name this R-R powered equipment and the air carrier that operated it into Fresno at this time.

Bonus #2: Another engine type manufactured by a different company was proposed for the Fokker F.28 Fellowship. However, in the end, Fokker went with the Rolls-Royce Spey. Identify the other jet engine manufacturer that was proposing its engine for the F.28.
1. American, 757

2. CFM International (GE and SNECMA, now GE and Safran)
Old Jan 25, 20, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

55- last guess for the day: ORD-SLC-Reno(RNO)-Fresno(FAT)-LAX

Search this Thread
Search Engine: