Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Jan 22, 20, 12:37 pm

In 2005, I flew from St Maarten to Saba, just to experience Saba's legendary approach.

After arriving in Saba, I made the steep uphill walk from the airport to Saba's main road, which is called "the Road", then did the even steeper ascent to the summit of Mt. Scenery. Although the hike was about as punishing as climbing a 3,000 foot high staircase, it was worth it because the scenery along the trail was so beautiful; I was surrounded by many flowering trees, and the occasional hummingbird and butterfly.

Another thing i liked about Saba was how friendly its residents are. Every driver that passed me on The Road waved at me. Because so few tourists visit Saba, the residents are more welcoming of visitors than residents of most other Caribbean islands are.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 22, 20, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
Back around late 1970 (I think), Pan Am brought a new B747-100 to Houston Intercontinental Airport as part of what I believe was a PR effort to promote the aircraft. It was parked at a gate adjacent to a Pan Am 707 which really illustrated how much larger the 747 was. I wanted to see the 747, of course, but I did not yet have my own car. No problem. I asked my Mom to drop me off at the Clear Lake City STOLport (CLC) near the NASA Space Center where we lived, hopped on board a Houston Metro Twin Otter and flew up to IAH to see the 747 which was the first I'd ever seen up close and personal. I was 17 years old at the time.
the father of one of my high school classmates had a Cessna 210 that he kept at Hyde Field, about three miles west of Andrews AFB ... one Saturday afternoon Steve called me and asked if I wanted to fly over to Dulles with him and his father, just to check out the 747s

at the time, as mentioned earlier, the jets parked out where the midfield concourses are now situated; much of the area between the terminal and the ramp was still grass, and was used for general aviation parking ... needless to say, the size contrast between the jumbos and the 707s/DC8s was remarkable, but the Cessnas and Pipers in the foreground REALLY looked like toys
JoeDTW and strickerj like this.

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 22, 20 at 1:10 pm
Old Jan 22, 20, 1:08 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by JoeDTW View Post
In 2005, I flew from St Maarten to Saba, just to experience Saba's legendary approach.....

Another thing i liked about Saba was how friendly its residents are. Every driver that passed me on The Road waved at me. Because so few tourists visit Saba, the residents are more welcoming of visitors than residents of most other Caribbean islands are.
Yes, we experienced this as well. It is indeed a very friendly place with very beautiful rain forests. Not much in the way of beaches (and locals informed us that the last hurricane to hit Saba several years ago mostly washed away what little sand there was) but it's a place I would love to visit once again. We can highly recommend the Queen's Gardens Resort as a place to stay. Claire Verbeke and her superb staff took very good care of us and the cuisine prepared by the resort's restaurant was outstanding. And one should not miss the opportunity to have dinner up in the "Bird's Nest" which is an outdoor dining table located up in a huge tree as the resort is located on the edge of the rain forest.
Old Jan 22, 20, 5:32 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post

Great photos! And besides the American and TWA B747-100 aircraft, I'll guess what we are looking at in the first photo includes an American B707-320, an American B720B, a Braniff International B720 and possibly an United Super DC8-61 in the background while several TWA 707 aircraft are visible in the second photo. Interesting to see the private GA airplanes in these shots as well.
Old Jan 22, 20, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
39. Pan Am is correct! And you are almost there.....all you have to do now is correctly identify the second stop made by the flight in question as it wasn't Tampa.
39- IAH-New Orleans (MSY) was a staple of the old National Airlines route system; I know NA never flew MSY-DCA, but I guess PA might have tried it on for JFK feed ...
Old Jan 22, 20, 5:42 pm

39- IAH-New Orleans (MSY) was a staple of the old National Airlines route system; I know NA never flew MSY-DCA, but I guess PA might have tried it on for JFK feed ...
39. Yep, the missing stop we were looking for here is New Orleans. Here's the Pan Am sched.....

PA 992: Oklahoma City (OKC) 11:40a - 12:52p Houston Intercontinental (IAH) 1:50p - 2:47p New Orleans (MSY) 3:30p - 6:51p Washington National (DCA) 7:45p - 9:00p New York Kennedy (JFK)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Dinner MSY-DCA
Equip: 727
Old Jan 23, 20, 8:11 am

37. It's 1977 and you are in Winnipeg. You need to travel to Phoenix and are surprised to find there's a direct flight from YWG to PHX. Of course, it makes five stops en route but so much the better! Identify the airline, all five stops in order and the equipment. Frontier operating a B737-200. The first stop was MOT and the second stop was BIS. This flight also stopped at DEN and ABQ.....but it did not stop at RAP or CPR.
This is a bit round-about, but could this flight have stopped at TUS between ABQ and PHX?

41. You're now back in Houston in 1983 and it's still unbelievably hot and humid. So how about a getaway with friends featuring a backpacking trip in the Desolation Wilderness in the Sierra Nevada mountains near Lake Tahoe? Perfect! Now all you have to do is get there. Of course, there are no direct flights from either Houston airport to Lake Tahoe (TVL).....but you have found a direct flight to Reno which fits your schedule and makes two stops en route. Identify the airport you will depart from in Houston, the airline, both stops and the equipment. Western operating a B727-200 departing from IAH. This flight stopped in SLC....but it did not stop at SAT, AUS, DFW or BOI. Hint: SLC was the second stop.
As long as I'm thinking about ABQ, how about that for the first stop here, between IAH and SLC?
Old Jan 23, 20, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by dfw88 View Post
This is a bit round-about, but could this flight have stopped at TUS between ABQ and PHX?

As long as I'm thinking about ABQ, how about that for the first stop here, between IAH and SLC?
Hello dfw88! And you are right on the mark concerning both of these.

37. Here's the Frontier sched.....

FL 71: Winnipeg (YWG) 6:15a - 7:00a Minot (MOT) 7:20a - 7:51a Bismarck/Mandan (BIS) 8:11a - 8:35a Denver (DEN) 9:15a - 10:18a Albuquerque (ABQ) 10:40a - 11:38a Tucson (TUS) 12:00n - 12:30p Phoenix (PHX)
Service class: S
Meal service: Breakfast BIS-DEN
Equip: B737-200

FRONTIER AIRLINES - First Class Legroom At Coach Prices

41. Here's the Western sched.....

WA 375: Houston Intercontinental (IAH) 7:15a - 8:15a Albuquerque (ABQ) 8:50a - 10:13a Salt Lake City (SLC) 11:13a - 11:28a Reno (RNO)
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Breakfast IAH-ABQ, Snack in F only ABQ-SLC & SLC-RNO
Equip: B727-200

Western Airlines - The Only Way to Fly
Old Jan 23, 20, 9:51 am

43. Now it's 1986 and you are in Madison, Wisconsin. Your old sailing buddy has his catamaran moored near La Jolla and needs your help to sail up to Santa Barbara. So that means flying to San Diego. You've found a daily direct flight with an excellent schedule departing MSN in the mid morning hours which will get you into SAN by mid afternoon with this service making two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the equipment. It wasn't Northwest or Ozark, the aircraft wasn't a B727-100 or DC9-30 and stops were not made at RST, MSP, CID or STL

55. You're in Chicago in 1991 and it's time to head back to Los Angeles. Now you could catch a nonstop.....but where's the fun in that?! Especially when you've found an interesting direct flight which makes three stops en route and operates six days a week to LAX. Identify the airport you will depart from in Chicago, the airline, all three stops and the aircraft. It wasn't Southwest or United, the equipment wasn't a B737-300 or B737-500 and this flight did not stop at BNA, HOU, PHX, DSM, DEN or SMF....but it did depart from ORD.

The next two quiz items both have a time line of 1996.....

58. Time to head back to Los Angeles one more time....and you are in Colorado Springs. Of course, you're in no hurry....and you've found a direct flight which operates six days a week that makes three stops en route. Identify the airline, all three stops and the aircraft. It wasn't Reno Air or Western Pacific, the equipment wasn't an MD-80 or B737-300 and stops were not made at RNO, TUS, DEN or SAN. The second stop was LAS.

59. "Hey man, I'm in Bermuda and we are going to sail the cat to Barbados! Come on over, amigo!" Well, here you go again....and your present location is Chicago. Quick research reveals a direct one stop flight to BDA which operates three days a week that fits your schedule, so off you go! Name the airport you will depart from in Chicago, the air carrier, the stop and the equipment. ANSWERED - Kiwi International Air Lines operating a B727-200 MDW - EWR - BDA
Just four three left to go here......

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 24, 20 at 10:21 am Reason: answer updates
Old Jan 23, 20, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

59. "Hey man, I'm in Bermuda and we are going to sail the cat to Barbados! Come on over, amigo!" Well, here you go again....and your present location is Chicago. Quick research reveals a direct one stop flight to BDA which operates three days a week that fits your schedule, so off you go! Name the airport you will depart from in Chicago, the air carrier, the stop and the equipment.
59- my initial thought was the reincarnated Midway Airlines, operating from the eponymous airport via their Raleigh-Durham (RDU) hub, but the 737-700 wasn't yet in service and I just can't see them running a Fokker 100 on that route

anything else would have been out of O'Hare (ORD); carriers and cities with BDA service that come to mind are American (JFK, possibly also RDU), Continental (Newark), Delta (Atlanta, Boston), and US Airways (Charlotte, possibly BWI) ... Air Canada via Toronto would probably work as a connection, but a single flight operating transborder-to-international is a real stretch of the imagination (plus I'm pretty sure ORD<->YYZ was all DC-9-30 service, and the overwater segment would have most likely been a 320) ... the fact that we're looking for a 3x/week service points to a larger aircraft, so I'll offer a US 757 over CLT
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 23, 20, 11:22 am

59- my initial thought was the reincarnated Midway Airlines, operating from the eponymous airport via their Raleigh-Durham (RDU) hub, but the 737-700 wasn't yet in service and I just can't see them running a Fokker 100 on that route

anything else would have been out of O'Hare (ORD); carriers and cities with BDA service that come to mind are American (JFK, possibly also RDU), Continental (Newark), Delta (Atlanta, Boston), and US Airways (Charlotte, possibly BWI) ... Air Canada via Toronto would probably work as a connection, but a single flight operating transborder-to-international is a real stretch of the imagination (plus I'm pretty sure ORD<->YYZ was all DC-9-30 service, and the overwater segment would have most likely been a 320) ... the fact that we're looking for a 3x/week service points to a larger aircraft, so I'll offer a US 757 over CLT
59. Well, your initial thought specifically with regard to Midway Airport (MDW) was right on target.....as that is where the flight in question originated from.

However, it wasn't US Airways, the equipment wasn't a B757-200 and the flight did not stop in Charlotte. Please guess again!
Old Jan 23, 20, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

59- Continental, 727-200 via Newark
Old Jan 23, 20, 2:35 pm

43. NW 727-51 via RST and MSP.
Old Jan 23, 20, 3:30 pm

59- Continental, 727-200 via Newark
59. Yep, the stop was made in Newark. And yep, the equipment was a B727-200. But nope, the air carrier in question wasn't Continental.
Old Jan 23, 20, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by JoeDTW View Post
43. NW 727-51 via RST and MSP.
43. A very logical guess! However, it wasn't Northwest, the aircraft wasn't a B727-100 and stops were not made at Rochester, MN or Minneapolis/St. Paul. Please guess again, sir!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: