Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Jan 12, 20, 9:23 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
Greetings and felicitations from Portland, Oregon! I just detrained from the Coast Starlight after a 3 day journey from Colorado that included a ride on my favorite Amtrak train, the California Zephyr. In any event, nice to see things percolating along so nicely here. Thanks to all for the great questions and answers. I''m about to head off to Seaside, Oregon but I'll have a quick go at a couple here...

47. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Hamilton, Ontario in Canada to a destination in Florida at this time, you could do so but only twice a week. What airline would you call, what would be your destination in Florida and what type of aircraft would you be flying on?

Let's go with Nordair, routing via Montreal into Ft. Lauderdale

52. Now you are in Milwaukee and need to travel to Los Angeles for a meeting the next morning. There's a flight departing MKE in the mid afternoon that will get you into LAX by early evening with one stop being made en route. Name the air carrier, the stop and the equipment.

Let's try Midwest Express with an MD-80 via Las Vegas
Howdy Seat 2A! Sounds like you are on the mend and back in the saddle! And that is certainly good news!

47. Nope, it wasn't Nordair (and you probably meant to include a B737-200 as the equipment.....but the flight in question wasn't operated with a 73S) and this service did not make an intermediate stop en route. And on the plus side of the column, this flight did operate nonstop between Hamilton (YHM) and Fort Lauderdale (FLL).

52. Nope, it wasn't Midwest Express, the stop was not made at LAS and the aircraft wasn't an MD-80.....but you are on the right track concerning the equipment.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:34 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post

I don't think the MD-80 had the 2+2 economy class seating like the DC-9's. Still, non-stop was better than a connection. I also got the experience of flying Midwest Express. I also flew that airline one way for another flight making it twice on YX.
I only traveled on Midwest Express twice as well, from SFO to MKE and then a few days later from MKE to LAX. Both flights were nonstops operated with the MD-80 and the entire cabin was configured with 2+2 seating and marketed as coach, although it was more like "business class lite". Very nice service and I'm glad I had to opportunity to fly with YX.
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
This should be straightforward, as there were very few services from LCY in 1989, in fact just Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam, plus a couple of minor points. The airport had been open only just over a year. No jets. But I believe Air France never served Atlanta for the longest time (ironically it's one of their few A380 routes now - how times change). KLM didn't codeshare with anyone into LCY. That seems to leave Brussels, where Sabena did codeshare with the British Midland subsidiary that changed its name every year - started in 1987 as Eurocity Express, changed to London City Airways (same livery), which it probably was in 1989, changed again to British Midland, then gave up altogether.

So, London City AW Dash 7 to Brussels, codeshared with SN, and onto an SN DC-10 to Atlanta, stopping at - let's go for Montreal Mirabel. If the sky was clear you likely got a good view down of the LCY runway from altitude, about 3 hours after leaving there ...
49. You are just about completely correct! I say "just about" because the stop made by the Sabena DC-10 wasn't Montreal....it was made at a city in the U.S.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:52 am

iN

Air Canada, YYZ-DFW-IAH, DC-9-30. My guess is that AC didn't start non-stops between YYZ and IAH until around 1993 or so using A320-200's. The question asks about 1989.
46. Indeed, this service was being operated in 1989. And nope, it wasn't Air Canada, the stop wasn't Dallas/Fort Worth and the equipment wasn't a DC9-30. However, these flights did serve IAH and thus not HOU.
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:56 am

The killer for the second one westbound was the closure of the preclearance at Shannon in the afternoon, meaning normal border controls on arrival at JFK started to apply, apparently facilitated by lobbying of a US carrier in Washington that US border costs were supporting a rival airline.
Surprise, surprise......the wonderful world of the airline biz.
Old Jan 12, 20, 10:12 am

Bonus question : Getting from Greenwich to LCY is easy, the DLR train serves both points. But it went to neither in 1989. Nor does the Jubilee Line underground exist. So what's the quickest way to do that initial hop, using only 1989's public transport ? No cabs
I remember arriving at Greenwich not too long ago on board a river vessel (and we were greeted on the quay by none other than the illustrious WHBM).

So perhaps one could begin the short journey from Greenwich over to London City via a boat ride on the Thames.....
Old Jan 12, 20, 11:50 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
So perhaps one could begin the short journey from Greenwich over to London City via a boat ride on the Thames.....
Indeed. In those early LCY days they mounted their own boat service on the River Thames into London. It would stop at a few places along the way if requested, effectively as a flag stop, including Greenwich. Unfortunately, despite charging fares and being subsidised by both LCY and the Canary Wharf developers, it still managed to go bankrupt in 1993 after a few years, whereupon a bus into London had to suffice for quite some time until the DLR train came to the airport. Despite much belief, LCY is not actually on the river, so a shuttle bus linked the airport terminal to the riverside.

RIVERBUS - www.simplonpc.co.uk

I saw it many times but never got a ride on it. The current river operation, which has never served LCY, is much more recent.
Old Jan 12, 20, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA
a time line of 1989.......

47. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Hamilton, Ontario in Canada to a destination in Florida at this time, you could do so but only twice a week. What airline would you call, what would be your destination in Florida and what type of aircraft would you be flying on? It wasn't Nordair and the equipment wasn't a B737-200. This nonstop service was operated between YHM and FLL.
Nationair with a DC8-61 ?
Old Jan 12, 20, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
(1989) ... 53- Your meeting in L.A. has gone well and you've even had time to visit with family in Pasadena. But now it's time to get back to work and that means flying to New York City. You've found a convenient flight which departs from Burbank (BUR) and makes two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops, the aircraft and the airport you will arrive into in the New York City area.
53- let’s try a TWA MD-80 into JFK, via St. Louis (STL) and Washington National (DCA)
Old Jan 12, 20, 5:27 pm

Programs: AS DL

The next nine quiz items all have a time line of 1989.......

51. If you wanted to fly into Chicago O'Hare on board a Boeing 707 at this time, what airline would you call?
Reasonably certain that I'll have to try again but there's always a first...

TAROM
Old Jan 12, 20, 5:59 pm

Nationair with a DC8-61 ?
47. Unfortunately, nope!
Old Jan 12, 20, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
53- let’s try a TWA MD-80 into JFK, via St. Louis (STL) and Washington National (DCA)
53. The scorecard, please....

TWA: Nope!

MD-80: Nope!

Stops - STL & DCA: Nope!

Arrival airport - JFK: Nope!

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 12, 20 at 6:12 pm Reason: arrival airport comment
Old Jan 12, 20, 6:02 pm

Reasonably certain that I'll have to try again but there's always a first...

TAROM
51. Please try again!
Old Jan 12, 20, 6:36 pm

Programs: AS DL
The next nine quiz items all have a time line of 1989.......

51. If you wanted to fly into Chicago O'Hare on board a Boeing 707 at this time, what airline would you call?

This is a trip that I will be running from terminal to terminal. Terminal 1 (United) was fairly new by 1989. I'll skip that. I am running to the parking garage, which is Terminal 4.....

Avianca Colombia.
Old Jan 12, 20, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
53- United to Newark on a 737-300, via DEN and CLE

Search this Thread
Search Engine: