Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Jan 11, 20, 1:42 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
40. DC-9-30 via MIA?
40. Ah, VIASA did not operate this flight with a D9S and it did not stop at Miami.
Old Jan 11, 20, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
a time line of 1989.......
50. Four different air carriers were serving Bratislava (BTS) at this time and they all had one thing in common. What was it?
OK, having embarrassed myself with getting the wrong continent last time (!), this could be more in my area.

Bratislava was the second city of Czechoslovakia at the time, but had little (probably none) service to the "west". So with four carriers there, I'll say the common factor was they all used Soviet equipment. CSA used to use everything from IL-62s to Yak-40s on the Prague shuttle (often nothing like the timetable showed), so it won't be a given type, just all Soviet aircraft.
Old Jan 11, 20, 2:26 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
40- Iíll posit a DC-8, and the only place on a map that looks reasonable for an intermediate stop (since I donít recall VA having service to the ABCs from IAH) would be Maracaibo
40. Yep, the nonstop VIASA service from Houston to Maracaibo was an oil route. And the DC8 operated on the flight was actually a stretched Super DC-8-63 which VIASA called "El Coloso". Here's a VA DC-8-63 at Houston....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Vias...gjEJvaCCj4Edh2

And here are the scheds.....

VA 837: Houston (IAH) 11:30a - 5:10p (est.) Maracaibo (MAR) 5:55p (est.) - 6:55p Caracas (CCS)
Freq: Wednesdays and Fridays only
Service classes: F/Y
Equip: DC-8-63

Connecting to......

VA 722: Caracas (CCS) 8:45p - 12:20p+1 Milan (MXP)
Freq: Wednesdays and Fridays only
Service classes: F/Y
Equip: DC-10-30
Old Jan 11, 20, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
OK, having embarrassed myself with getting the wrong continent last time (!), this could be more in my area.

Bratislava was the second city of Czechoslovakia at the time, but had little (probably none) service to the "west". So with four carriers there, I'll say the common factor was they all used Soviet equipment. CSA used to use everything from IL-62s to Yak-40s on the Prague shuttle (often nothing like the timetable showed), so it won't be a given type, just all Soviet aircraft.
50. Correct!

Here are the four air carriers and the equipment they were operating into Bratislava at this time according to the OAG.....

* Aeroflot Soviet Airlines - Tupolev TU-134

* Balkan-Bulgarian Airlines - Tupolev TU-134

* Czechoslovak Airlines (CSA) - Ilyushin IL-18, Ilyushin IL-62, Tupolev TU-134, Tupolev TU-154, Yakolev Yak-40

* Interflug - Tupolev TU-134
Old Jan 11, 20, 7:56 pm

Programs: AS DL
52. Now you are in Milwaukee and need to travel to Los Angeles for a meeting the next morning. There's a flight departing MKE in the mid afternoon that will get you into LAX by early evening with one stop being made en route. Name the air carrier, the stop and the equipment.
---
Very interesting. I think Northwest flew that route non-stop then, after it discontinued it, Midwest Express flew it in the 1990's.

Answer: Northwest Airlines, stop in LAS, Boeing 727-200
Old Jan 11, 20, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Greetings and felicitations from Portland, Oregon! I just detrained from the Coast Starlight after a 3 day journey from Colorado that included a ride on my favorite Amtrak train, the California Zephyr. In any event, nice to see things percolating along so nicely here. Thanks to all for the great questions and answers. I''m about to head off to Seaside, Oregon but I'll have a quick go at a couple here...

47. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Hamilton, Ontario in Canada to a destination in Florida at this time, you could do so but only twice a week. What airline would you call, what would be your destination in Florida and what type of aircraft would you be flying on?

Let's go with Nordair, routing via Montreal into Ft. Lauderdale

52. Now you are in Milwaukee and need to travel to Los Angeles for a meeting the next morning. There's a flight departing MKE in the mid afternoon that will get you into LAX by early evening with one stop being made en route. Name the air carrier, the stop and the equipment.

Let's try Midwest Express with an MD-80 via Las Vegas
Old Jan 11, 20, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
---
Very interesting. I think Northwest flew that route non-stop then, after it discontinued it, Midwest Express flew it in the 1990's.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post

Let's try Midwest Express with an MD-80 via Las Vegas
That's a very good answer, far more likely than mine.

I can say that early in my career, I had to fly MKE-LAX. My competitor was also flying that route at around the same day. It was later than the year in this quiz.

I flew Midwest Express non-stop. The competitor was probably chasing miles and flew Delta with a connection possibly in SLC or MSP. I got there quicker and refreshed!

I don't think the MD-80 had the 2+2 economy class seating like the DC-9's. Still, non-stop was better than a connection. I also got the experience of flying Midwest Express. I also flew that airline one way for another flight making it twice on YX.

The experience alone was worth it but I also didn't forfeit miles. I remember transferring Midwest Miles to Amtrak then somehow getting benefit on Continental. Years later, I flew on Virgin America for one round trip for the experience (and also the low airfare). Those miles were not wasted as they were later transferred to Alaska Mileage Plan along with a 10,000 mile bonus when VX was eaten by AS. Moral of the story, live life and don't always chase after frequent flyer miles. Those orphan miles might turn out not to be orphan miles.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by Toshbaf; Jan 11, 20 at 11:15 pm
Old Jan 12, 20, 12:52 am

a time line of 1989.......

49. You are in Greenwich in England and need to travel to Atlanta. The closest airport to your location is London City and just for fun, wouldn't it be nice to catch a flight from LCY rather than from Heathrow or Gatwick? A connection will be required, of course....and so, you will fly from London City nonstop to your connecting city where your connection time will be just under one hour. Plus, your flight from LCY will be operated by an air carrier flying feeder service in association with the airline that will be taking you to Atlanta, although the flight to ATL will make one intermediate stop en route. So with all this in mind, identify the air carrier you will be flying with from LCY as well as the aircraft type, the connecting city, the second airline which will fly you to Atlanta, the stop made by this flight and the aircraft type.
This should be straightforward, as there were very few services from LCY in 1989, in fact just Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam, plus a couple of minor points. The airport had been open only just over a year. No jets. But I believe Air France never served Atlanta for the longest time (ironically it's one of their few A380 routes now - how times change). KLM didn't codeshare with anyone into LCY. That seems to leave Brussels, where Sabena did codeshare with the British Midland subsidiary that changed its name every year - started in 1987 as Eurocity Express, changed to London City Airways (same livery), which it probably was in 1989, changed again to British Midland, then gave up altogether.

So, London City AW Dash 7 to Brussels, codeshared with SN, and onto an SN DC-10 to Atlanta, stopping at - let's go for Montreal Mirabel. If the sky was clear you likely got a good view down of the LCY runway from altitude, about 3 hours after leaving there ...

Bonus question : Getting from Greenwich to LCY is easy, the DLR train serves both points. But it went to neither in 1989. Nor does the Jubilee Line underground exist. So what's the quickest way to do that initial hop, using only 1989's public transport ? No cabs
Old Jan 12, 20, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Bonus question : Getting from Greenwich to LCY is easy, the DLR train serves both points. But it went to neither in 1989. Nor does the Jubilee Line underground exist. So what's the quickest way to do that initial hop, using only 1989's public transport ? No cabs
unless there was a helicopter service, that’s not in any way an airline/airliner question !!
Old Jan 12, 20, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
unless there was a helicopter service, thatís not in any way an airline/airliner question !!
LCY bans helicopters.

I know someone that flew BA business class JFK-LHR and LHR-JFK. Actually, two people were traveling together. One did not have Global Entry, which is expedited passport checks into the US. The one that did complained about having to wait for the one that didn't.

They didn't know better. They should have experienced LCY and flown LCY-SNN (with US preclearance)-JFK. No waiting. Also, they should have considered the daytime JFK-LCY, since discontinued.
Old Jan 12, 20, 1:22 am

Greenwich to Silvertown then bus?

Or walk using the tunnel under the river then bus, changing at Silvertown.
Old Jan 12, 20, 1:24 am

Greenwich to Silvertown then bus?

Or walk using the tunnel under the river then bus, changing at Silvertown.
Bit more direct Ö
Old Jan 12, 20, 1:32 am

The next nine quiz items all have a time line of 1989.......

46. This airline was operating three daily direct one stop flights from Toronto to Houston at this time. All three flights stopped at the same city with the same aircraft type being operated on every one of these flights. Identify the air carrier, the stop, the equipment and the airport in Houston these flights arrived into.
Air Canada, YYZ-DFW-IAH, DC-9-30. My guess is that AC didn't start non-stops between YYZ and IAH until around 1993 or so using A320-200's. The question asks about 1989.
Old Jan 12, 20, 7:19 am

They should have experienced LCY and flown LCY-SNN (with US preclearance)-JFK. No waiting. Also, they should have considered the daytime JFK-LCY, since discontinued.
The LCY service never operated as a daytime eastbound. When the two aircraft were operating it, the first overnight flight arrived soon after 0645 (as now), just as the airport opens, and departed at 0930. The second came in at 0945, and left just after lunch. Both were thus able to use the same gate, with all the snacks etc laid out, at LCY. There was a special arrangement if the 0930 departure was delayed in leaving.

The killer for the second one westbound was the closure of the preclearance at Shannon in the afternoon, meaning normal border controls on arrival at JFK started to apply, apparently facilitated by lobbying of a US carrier in Washington that US border costs were supporting a rival airline.
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:13 am

---

52. A great guess! However, it wasn't Northwest, the stop was not made in Las Vegas and the equipment wasn't a B727-200.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: