Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
Terrific job, WHBM!
We're still waiting for an answer on the last stop of FL 91/104, which goes MOT-BIS-RAP-DEN-ABQ-TUS-PHX-DEN-???
I'll admit that I cheated with GCMap, but it's probably time to RAP this one up (sorry, bad pun). How about OMA?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Please limit your response to no more than two questions per day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers here. Thanks!

37. It's 1977 and you are in Winnipeg. You need to travel to Phoenix and are surprised to find there's a direct flight from YWG to PHX. Of course, it makes five stops en route but so much the better! Identify the airline, all five stops in order and the equipment. Frontier operating a B737-200. The first stop was MOT and the second stop was BIS. This flight also stopped at DEN and ABQ.....but it did not stop at RAP or CPR.

39. Ah, you still love a good multi-stop flight....and you've found an interesting one. Your location is Oklahoma City in 1982 and you're off to New York City. Your flight will make three stops en route. Identify the airline, all three stops, the equipment and the airport you will arrive into in the New York City area.

The next two quiz items both have a time line of 1983.....

41. You're now back in Houston in 1983 and it's still unbelievably hot and humid. So how about a getaway with friends featuring a backpacking trip in the Desolation Wilderness in the Sierra Nevada mountains near Lake Tahoe? Perfect! Now all you have to do is get there. Of course, there are no direct flights from either Houston airport to Lake Tahoe (TVL).....but you have found a direct flight to Reno which fits your schedule and makes two stops en route. Identify the airport you will depart from in Houston, the airline, both stops and the equipment. Western operating a B727-200 departing from IAH. This flight stopped in SLC.....but it did not stop at SAT.

42. You are in Port-au-Prince and need to travel to Caracas for a meeting that will be held on Monday morning. Ah, here's a direct flight which only operates once a week on Sundays from PAP to CCS. You'll make three stops en route. Name the air carrier, all three stops and the aircraft.

43. Now it's 1986 and you are in Madison, Wisconsin. Your old sailing buddy has his catamaran moored near La Jolla and needs your help to sail up to Santa Barbara. So that means flying to San Diego. You've found a daily direct flight with an excellent schedule departing MSN in the mid morning hours which will get you into SAN by mid afternoon with this service making two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the equipment. It wasn't Northwest or Ozark, the aircraft wasn't a B727-100 or DC9-30 and stops were not made a RST, MSP, CID or STL.

45. If you wanted to depart from Palm Springs on board a DC9-10 in 1987, what airline would you call and where would you fly to nonstop? And there was only one nonstop destination served by the airline in question from PSP at this time.It wasn't Sunworld or Republic and the destination wasn't LAS or PHX

The next three quiz items have a time line of 1989.......

46. This airline was operating three daily direct one stop flights from Toronto to Houston at this time. All three flights stopped at the same city with the same aircraft type being operated on every one of these flights. Identify the air carrier, the stop, the equipment and the airport in Houston these flights arrived into. It wasn't Air Canada or Continental and the stop wasn't DFW or CLE. These flights served IAH and were operated with B727-200 equipment.

48. You are in Detroit and are heading back to Phoenix. Your flight will make one stop en route. Name the airline, the stop and the equipment. It wasn't American, United or TWA, the aircraft wasn't a DC-10, B727-200 or B737-300 and the stop was not made at DFW, DEN or STL.

53. Your meeting in L.A. has gone well and you've even had time to visit with family in Pasadena. But now it's time to get back to work and that means flying to New York City. You've found a convenient flight which departs from Burbank (BUR) and makes two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops, the aircraft and the airport you will arrive into in the New York City area. It was America West operating a B737-300. The first stop was PHX and the flight arrived into LGA. Still looking for the second stop..... which wasn't OMA, CMH, LAS, DEN, MCI or BWI.

55. You're in Chicago in 1991 and it's time to head back to Los Angeles. Now you could catch a nonstop.....but where's the fun in that?! Especially when you've found an interesting direct flight which makes three stops en route and operates six days a week to LAX. Identify the airport you will depart from in Chicago, the airline, all three stops and the aircraft. It wasn't Southwest or United, the equipment wasn't a B737-300 or B737-500 and this flight did not stop at BNA, HOU, PHX, DSM, DEN or SMF....but it did depart from ORD.

The next quiz item has a time line of 1995.....

56. If you wanted to fly into Summerside (YSU) on Prince Edward Island on board a jet at this time, what airline would you call and what type of aircraft would you travel on?

The next two quiz items both have a time line of 1996.....

58. Time to head back to Los Angeles one more time....and you are in Colorado Springs. Of course, you're in no hurry....and you've found a direct flight which operates six days a week that makes three stops en route. Identify the airline, all three stops and the aircraft. It wasn't Reno Air or Western Pacific, the equipment wasn't an MD-80 or B737-300 and stops were not made at RNO, TUS, DEN or SAN. The second stop was LAS.

59. "Hey man, I'm in Bermuda and we are going to sail the cat to Barbados! Come on over, amigo!" Well, here you go again....and your present location is Chicago. Quick research reveals a direct one stop flight which operates three days a week that fits your schedule, so off you go! Name the airport you will depart from in Chicago, the air carrier, the stop and the equipment.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 25, 2020 at 9:27 am
Old Jan 10, 2020, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon

40. It's a hot and humid day in Houston. The phone rings and the request is made: can you attend a meeting in Milan? Well, of course you can! But how to get there? Quick research reveals there are no nonstop or direct flights from Houston to anywhere in Italy. So a connection will be required although you'll be on the same airline all the way through with each flight being operated by a different aircraft type. Your first flight will make one stop en route. You'll then have a connecting time of just under two hours and your second flight will be nonstop. Name the air carrier, the stop made by the first flight, the connecting city, and the two different aircraft types you'll be flying on board.on board.
40- how about TWA:
a 727-200 to JFK with a stop in New Orleans (MSY), followed by a 747 to MXP
Old Jan 10, 2020, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
40- how about TWA:
a 727-200 to JFK with a stop in New Orleans (MSY), followed by a 747 to MXP
40. Ah, it wasn't TWA, the aircraft types in question did not include the 72S or 747, the first flight did not stop in New Orleans and the connection was not made at New York JFK.

Please guess again!
Old Jan 10, 2020, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
40- I have a slight connection to the TW 747 JFK-MXP from that summer ... my sister was booked on that flight, and weather caused her to misconnect from DCA-JFK; they rebooked her in F the next day ... I had given her a couple of my TWA Frequent Flight Bonus program stickers (that had my account number printed on them) to put on her flight coupons, and wound up getting the miles as well as the F bonus miles for her flights

I don't think any other U.S. carrier (besides Pan Am, who would have also run a 747 out of JFK) operated to MXP ... CP Air didn't have transborder service into Toronto (YYZ), and a domestic-to-international connection at Montreal would have involved an airport change from Dorval (YUL) to Mirabel (YMX); how about Air Canada with a DC-9-30 to YYZ via Dallas (DFW), thence a long-range L-1011-500

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 10, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Old Jan 10, 2020, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

40- I have a slight connection to the TW 747 JFK-MXP from that summer ... my sister was booked on that flight, and weather caused her to misconnect from DCA-JFK; they rebooked her in F the next day ... I had given her a couple of my TWA Frequent Flight Bonus program stickers (that had my account number printed on them) to put on her flight coupons, and wound up getting the miles as well as the F bonus miles for her flights

let's try this: Ozark DC-9-10 out of Hobby (HOU) to Chicago (ORD) via St Louis (STL), thence Alitalia on a DC-10
40. Please note this quiz item states "you'll be on the same airline all the way through"!
Old Jan 10, 2020, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

40. Please note this quiz item states "you'll be on the same airline all the way through"!
I'll resubmit my prior guess if you edit your response with the appropriate answer :/
Old Jan 10, 2020, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

40- .....how about Air Canada with a DC-9-30 to YYZ via Dallas (DFW), thence a long-range L-1011-500
40. Nope, nope, nope and nope!
Old Jan 10, 2020, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

40- oddball try ... Lufthansa DC-10-30 to Frankfurt (FRA) with a stop in Atlanta (ATL), connecting to a 737
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:00 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
44. In 1987 this airline was operating direct one stop service four days a week from Vancouver to Maui. Name the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft type.
60. In 2003, Aloha Airlines was operating five different nonstop services with Boeing 737-700 equipment between U.S. cities that were not located in the state of Hawaii. Identify all five of these city pairs by their airport codes.
44. I seem to recall my dad telling me he was on this route, albeit some years earlier - I’m going to say a Western DC-10 via LAX.

60. IIRC Aloha served OAK, BUR, and SNA nonstop from Hawaii, and SMF, RNO, LAS, and PHX with stops. I’d say SNA flights continued on to PHX and RNO, BUR continued to LAS and SMF, and OAK probably also went to RNO.

I was in high school then and followed airline schedules closely. I was intrigued by the prospect of a flight that long (over water no less) in a 737-700.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:24 pm

Programs: BA
a time line of 1983.....

40. It's a hot and humid day in Houston. The phone rings and the request is made: can you attend a meeting in Milan? Well, of course you can! But how to get there? Quick research reveals there are no nonstop or direct flights from Houston to anywhere in Italy. So a connection will be required although you'll be on the same airline all the way through with each flight being operated by a different aircraft type. Your first flight will make one stop en route. You'll then have a connecting time of just under two hours and your second flight will be nonstop. Name the air carrier, the stop made by the first flight, the connecting city, and the two different aircraft types you'll be flying on board
My hunch is a European carrier. If making one stop on the way, lets go for longstanding Houston stalwart KLM (they had been there from early DC8 days) with a 747, stopping at … maybe Atlanta. Connect at Amsterdam onto a DC9-30 to Milan. Did the 747 come through from Mexico City ?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
And here's my final set of new quiz items for awhile......

Please limit your response to no more than two questions per day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers here. Thanks!

The next four quiz items have a time line of 1983.....

42. Speaking of Houston, if you wanted to arrive at IAH on board a Boeing 747SP at this time, what airline would you be flying with?

42. South African Airways, on a flight from Sal, Cape Verde Island that originated at JNB Jan Smuts, which is the name used in 1983. Bonus points that it used Terminal B at IAH?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whoops! I was getting to respond to all of you when we received a Very Urgent NWS Alert to Batten Down The Hatches, Huddle Up and Prepare For The Possible End of The World.

Well.....this proclamation certainly got my interest.......I mean, good Lord......the end of the world?

So I rung up an old friend who just happens to be the NWS Warning Meteorologist over there in (God forsaken) LCH and said..........

"Roger, what the heck is this!? I mean, good Lord....is this really the end of the bloody world?" (I knew that Roger had written and issued this dire communique as the Major Weather Service Dude on duty at the KLCH forecast office this evening......)

And good old Roger (who really is a good guy) responded: "Ah, Mr. (JLemon).....our preeminent storm spotter in LFT who knows a thing or two about microbrewed beers not to mention red wine from California........"

I raised my right hand and said, "Guilty....."

Roger: "Well, quite frankly, this is the worst severe weather scenario I've ever seen in January in south Louisiana....and I've been stationed at this NWS forecast office for a number of years....." (I said "Yep".....). "I mean, if you look at the upper air dynamics, the jet stream orientation, the abundant GOM moisture at the surface and the very high dew points for this time of year.....I mean (s&%t), man, the atmospheric recipe is there for tornadoes not to mention intense straight line winds associated with super cell thunderstorms with wind gusts north of 70 knots...." (I said I understood.....)

So now, just when I was enjoying a particularly nice (and properly aged) Cab from Paso Robles, I now have to get up off the couch and go outside and pick up every bloody thing that might conceivably get airborne when the possibly rather intense squall line and cold front blast through the LFT area in the not so distant future.

Talk to ya'll tomorrow......
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 10, 2020 at 10:28 pm
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmmmm......winds now gusting in excess of 60 knots here at the house in LFT.....and just in time, thank goodness, I secured everything that might possibly get airborne or ripped off the exterior of our home or blown over.....

Looks to be an interesting night here, weather-wise.......
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL

60. In 2003, Aloha Airlines was operating five different nonstop services with Boeing 737-700 equipment between U.S. cities that were not located in the state of Hawaii. Identify all five of these city pairs by their airport codes.
OAK
BUR
SNA
now I have to piece it with RNO LAS PHX SMF, at least that's my plan. I think they wanted O&D traffic so OAK-SMF wouldn't make sense.

1. OAK-LAS
2. BUR-LAS
3. BUR-SMF
4. SNA-RNO
5. OAK-PHX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.