Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:51 pm

Okay, while we wait for jlemon's next questions, I'll do part II of my earlier question:

After the Frontier 737 left ABQ, it made two more stops before returning to DEN, then continued onward to one city beyond DEN.

Name the two stops enroute from ABQ to DEN, and the stop after DEN before the flight ended. Hint: the final stop of the flight was 548 miles from Minot, where the flight began.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
Okay, while we wait for jlemon's next questions, I'll do part II of my earlier question:

After the Frontier 737 left ABQ, it made two more stops before returning to DEN, then continued onward to one city beyond DEN.

Name the two stops enroute from ABQ to DEN, and the stop after DEN before the flight ended. Hint: the final stop of the flight was 548 miles from Minot, where the flight began.
(a) I'm reasonably certain these were Tucson and Phoenix, although the sequence could obviously could be the reverse
(b) without resorting to GCMap, I think FL only served western Montana nonstop from SLC, so my first guess would be Cheyenne
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
(a) I'm reasonably certain these were Tucson and Phoenix, although the sequence could obviously could be the reverse
(b) without resorting to GCMap, I think FL only served western Montana nonstop from SLC, so my first guess would be Cheyenne
TUS and PHX are correct, in that order.

The next stop after PHX was DEN, not SLC, and there are a lot of places this aircraft could go from DEN for its final stop.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
my point was that FL didn’t serve places like BZN, MSO, GTF, etc that seem to meet the distance-from-MOT requirement from DEN ... so my guess was that the flight went ABQ-TUS-PHX-DEN-CYS
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:26 am

my point was that FL didn’t serve places like BZN, MSO, GTF, etc that seem to meet the distance-from-MOT requirement from DEN ... so my guess was that the flight went ABQ-TUS-PHX-DEN-CYS
Okay, now I understand.

However, CYS is not the flight's next stop - please keep guessing.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:38 am

I'll post one last question from the Sep 1972 OAG while we await jlemon's return, then I'll put the OAG in storage for a while and allow him to share his next batch of questions.

You arrive at SEA early in the morning, and see two CO 727-200s parked near each other. Both of the 727-200s are bound for MSY. One will make two stops enroute, and the other will stop at the same two airports, plus three additional airports. Please provide (1) the two stops that both aircraft will be making, and (2) the three additional stops one of the airplanes will make.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 5:10 am

Programs: BA
I'll post one last question from the Sep 1972 OAG while we await jlemon's return, then I'll put the OAG in storage for a while and allow him to share his next batch of questions.

You arrive at SEA early in the morning, and see two CO 727-200s parked near each other. Both of the 727-200s are bound for MSY. One will make two stops enroute, and the other will stop at the same two airports, plus three additional airports. Please provide (1) the two stops that both aircraft will be making, and (2) the three additional stops one of the airplanes will make.
I think at the time Continental had relatively recently got this overall routing, to Seattle from Denver and to New Orleans from Houston. That would give us the two-stopper, SEA-DEN-IAH-MSY. The other one could likely be going via Portland, and then meander through another two stops between Denver and Houston. That could be all sorts of places on their established network. Let's go for Wichita and Tulsa.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by WHBM
I think at the time Continental had relatively recently got this overall routing, to Seattle from Denver and to New Orleans from Houston. That would give us the two-stopper, SEA-DEN-IAH-MSY. The other one could likely be going via Portland, and then meander through another two stops between Denver and Houston. That could be all sorts of places on their established network. Let's go for Wichita and Tulsa.
Terrific job, WHBM!

Your two stop route is correct.

PDX and ICT are two of the three additional stops. The third stop is not TUL; it's OKC.

We're still waiting for an answer on the last stop of FL 91/104, which goes MOT-BIS-RAP-DEN-ABQ-TUS-PHX-DEN-???
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

These two quiz items both have a time line of 1973.....

8. You are in Panama City, Panama. You need to travel to Chicago and have found a daily flight which makes two stops en route. You book a seat. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

9. Your visit to Chicago-land has gone well and now it's time to head down to Orlando. So how about a good old fashioned milk run?! Ah, here's a flight which fits the bill and makes five stops en route. Name the airline, all five stops in order and the aircraft. ANSWERED
Just two to go here and we also await the last stop for the Frontier flight concerning the bonus quiz question posed by JoeDTW......and both now answered.

And I should have my final set of quiz items ready to go later today.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 10, 2020 at 12:58 pm Reason: answer updates
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:52 am

Just two to go here and we also await the last stop for the Frontier flight concerning the bonus quiz question posed by JoeDTW......

And I should have my final set of quiz items ready to go later today.
8. PA, via KIN and MBJ.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
8. PA, via KIN and MBJ.
8. Pan Am is correct! Here's the sched....

PA 244: Panama City (PTY) 8:30a - 10:05a Kingston (KIN) 11:00a - 11:30a Montego Bay (MBJ) 12:10p - 3:50p Chicago O'Hare (ORD)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Breakfast PTY-KIN, Lunch MBJ-ORD
Equip: 727
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We're still waiting for an answer on the last stop of FL 91/104, which goes MOT-BIS-RAP-DEN-ABQ-TUS-PHX-DEN-???
I'll guess Great Falls (GTF).
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:13 pm

I'll guess Great Falls (GTF).
GTF is not correct.

Because FL served so many cities out of DEN, I'll speed the guessing up a little bit by ruling out states. The flight's last landing was not in Colorado, Wyoming, or Montana.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9. Your visit to Chicago-land has gone well and now it's time to head down to Orlando. So how about a good old fashioned milk run?! Ah, here's a flight which fits the bill and makes five stops en route. Name the airline, all five stops in order and the aircraft. Delta flying a DC-9-30 departing from ORD and one of the stops was ATL while another stop only had mainline jet service for a relatively short period of time. This flight did not stop at IND, PAH, MEM or BHM.
9- how about the coast route out of ATL: Charleston (CHS), Savannah (SAV), Brunswick (SSI?) (the airport with little or no mainline jet service before or since), and Jacksonville (JAX)
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9- how about the coast route out of ATL: Charleston (CHS), Savannah (SAV), Brunswick (SSI?) (the airport with little or no mainline jet service before or since), and Jacksonville (JAX)
9. Close enough! This flight did not stop a Charleston....but its first stop was Cincinnati (CVG). And Brunswick was not served by Delta via the McKinnon St. Simons Island Airport (SSI) at this time as DL had moved its flights to Naval Air Station Glynco (NEA) with the advent of new mainline jet service. More on that in a moment. Here's the sched.....

DL 535: Chicago O'Hare (ORD) 1:40p - 3:36p Cincinnati (CVG) 4:00p - 5:06p Atlanta (ATL) 6:11p - 6:56p Savannah (SAV) 7:19p - 7:48p Brunswick (NEA) 8:08p - 8:35p Jacksonville (JAX) 8:55p - 9:30p Orlando (MCO)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Snacks ORD-CVG & CVG-ATL
Equip: DC-9-30
DL seating configuration for this version of the D9S at this time: F - 24 seats, Y - 65 seats

Delta served Brunswick from the mid 1940's to the late 1960's via the McKinnon St. Simons Airport (SSI) which it referred to in its timetables as Sea Island. In 1946, DL was operating daily DC-3 service on a multi-stop routing of Chicago Midway - Cincinnati - Knoxville - Asheville - Greenville, SC - Spartanburg, SC - Augusta - Savannah - Brunswick - Jacksonville - Miami. By 1969 Delta was operating nonstop Convair 440 flights from Brunswick Sea Island to ATL and JAX. It then retired its CV-440 aircraft and elected to serve Brunswick during the early 1970's with the DC-9-30 via Naval Air Station Glynco (NEA). However, the U.S. Navy then announced it would close NAS Glynco and by 1974 Delta was no longer serving Brunswick with mainline jet equipment.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.