Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Singapore Changi - Seoul Gimpo - Vancouver, Airbus A340-300
Correct.

SQ apparently operated other equipment into YVR in the '90s and in the '00s. Any guesses?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
SQ apparently operated other equipment into YVR in the '90s and in the '00s. Any guesses?
doubtless the 747-400; not sure about others
Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
doubtless the 747-400; not sure about others
In the '00s, it was the a/c that made the 342 and 343 economically obsolete.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Correct.

Boeing 777-200ER
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Boeing 777-200ER
Corrrect.

The Singapore-Canada bilateral expired or was not renewed, with the result of no direct service between the two countries.

This last route had something to do with it (part of the BQ 3 discussion).
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:03 am
Suspended

Corrrect.

The Singapore-Canada bilateral expired or was not renewed, with the result of no direct service between the two countries.

This last route had something to do with it (part of the BQ 3 discussion).
I was under the impression that in the 1990's Singapore and Canada did not have a bilateral. Service was permitted because of a license but no treaty.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:24 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
Heli Air Monaco also had the following slogan at one point: "La Compagnie Rouge et Blanc" (The Red and White Company)
The Monaco flag, and the various government installations around town, are red & white. I believe The Crown Prince owned/owns the helicopter operator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Monaco
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WHBM
The Monaco flag, and the various government installations around town, are red & white. I believe The Crown Prince owned/owns the helicopter operator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Monaco
There better not be a shooting war between Monaco, Indonesia, Singapore, and/or Poland. The flags look too similar. The Polish flag looks like it's upside down to Monaco and vice versa.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM

Meanwhile, a bonus question. On taxying at London Gatwick we saw THIS. What type is it ?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ga...1!4d-0.1820629 (minimise the sidebar on the left if necessary)
Well, let's see here.....not counting the aircraft on static display at the nearby museum at Gatwick, I see three aircraft: a twin engine propeller aircraft, a somewhat whole wide body jet that appears to be currently used for ARFF training and a light single engine GA aircraft.

I'll guess we are talking about the wide body jet which appears to be a DC-10. But where is the center engine intake? It looks like it may have been removed.......
Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:46 pm

Well, let's see here.....not counting the aircraft on static display at the nearby museum at Gatwick, I see three aircraft: a twin engine propeller aircraft, a somewhat whole wide body jet that appears to be currently used for ARFF training and a light single engine GA aircraft.

I'll guess we are talking about the wide body jet which appears to be a DC-10. But where is the center engine intake? It looks like it may have been removed.......
Sorry all, I was afraid this would not work with different browsers, tablets etc. On mine it just focuses on the prop aircraft. What looks a bit like a DC-10 is actually a custom-built ARFF trainer, made out of heavy gauge steel so all the flames etc don't spoil it - it gets repainted about once a year. There are quite a few at UK airports now, the old days of using old fuselages are gone. And I didn't notice the GA aircraft. So that leaves ...
Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A fire training mock-up made of steel and iron, I bet. Stabiliser seems too close to the wing and the nose taper just doesn't look right? I bet it has the stretched upper deck of 747 too.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
using satellite view Google Map on iPhone, I see this twin-engine prop aircraft

the shadow of the vertical tail makes me think it’s a Handley Page Herald
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
using satellite view Google Map on iPhone, I see this twin-engine prop aircraft. The shadow of the vertical tail makes me think its a Handley Page Herald
Yes, Herald it is. Always a pleasant reminder of old times at Gatwick when passing. For years it was mounted in the spectator area on top of the terminal building, when that was expanded it was given to the fire teams, though they haven't touched it for years.

https://www.ukhat.org/herald-intro
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

Please limit your response to no more than two (2) quiz items per day so that all may participate. Thanks!

4. It's 1963 and you are in Toronto for the weekend. The phone rings and you are asked if you can be in Boston for a business dinner that same evening. You quickly ascertain there is flight that operates on Saturdays only from Toronto to Boston which makes one stop en route. You book a seat in first class. Identify the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

The next three quiz items have a time line of 1973.....

8. You are in Panama City, Panama. You need to travel to Chicago and have found a daily flight which makes two stops en route. You book a seat. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft type. It wasn't Braniff or Mexicana and stops were not made at IAH, DFW, MEX or SJO. The equipment was a 727.

9. Your visit to Chicago-land has gone well and now it's time to head down to Orlando. So how about a good old fashioned milk run?! Ah, here's a flight which fits the bill and makes five stops en route. Name the airline, all five stops in order and the aircraft. It wasn't Southern, the flight did not originate at MDW and MEM wasn't the first stop

10. Now you are in Kansas City. You once again need to attend a dinner meeting in Boston and have found a flight with an excellent schedule which makes two stops en route. Name the air carrier, both stops and the equipment. Delta operating MCI - ATL - PHL - BOS with a ________________ (aircraft wasn't a B727-100, B727-200, B737-200 or DC-9-30)

The next two quiz items have a time line of 1975......

16. You're in Burbank but not in southern California. So that means you are in Burbank, Illinois where the weather has been downright nasty with freezing rain and snow. So how about a getaway to warm and sunny Jamaica, mon?! And how about an itinerary which includes a milk run flight as well? Plus you'll also make a conection with two different airlines being involved with each air carrier operating its respective flight with the same aircraft type. Your first flight will depart from the closest airport to Burbank, IL and will make four stops en route. Your second flight will operate nonstop from the connecting city to Kingston, Jamaica. Name the airport you will depart from, the first air carrier, all four stops in order, the connecting city, the second air carrier, and the equipment. ANSWERED

17. Now you are in Albuquerque and need to travel to Sacramento for a dinner meeting. Hmmmm....there's no nonstop or direct service from ABQ to SMF. So you will have to make a connection with two different airlines being involved. Your first flight to the connecting city will be nonstop and you'll have just under one hour to make your connection to the second air carrier. Your second flight will make three stops en route. Identify the first airline, the equipment, the connecting city, the second airline, the three stops in order and the equipment, Hint: you will be flying on board two different aircraft types. ANSWERED
Still looking for answers for the above.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 8, 2020 at 12:17 pm Reason: answer updates
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

31. If you wanted to fly on board a Boeing 727-200 from Copenhagen nonstop to Nice in 1993, what airline would you call?
And just one more to go here as well......and now ANSWERED.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 6, 2020 at 11:07 am Reason: answer update

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.