Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Dec 11, 19, 4:02 pm
  #16981  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: London, England.
Programs: BA
Posts: 7,799
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
Would this be in the 8-abreast 763s?
I believe it would
WHBM is offline  
Old Dec 11, 19, 4:51 pm
  #16982  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Programs: statusless these days
Posts: 19,914
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
I believe it would
Speaking of U.K. newspaper Sunday magazines, I nearly fell over when I saw a full page ad for some tour that detailed the a/c (with seat chart) in the late 1990s. If it ever came down to a choice between flying a BY 763 and staying a home, I'd know which one I'd choose,
YVR Cockroach is offline  
Old Dec 11, 19, 5:29 pm
  #16983  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Programs: statusless these days
Posts: 19,914
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
7C- SK incorrect, JFK incorrect ...
this guess would have actually been for the original candidate routing, as we know that involved a 747 from Europe to JFK

so herewith some additional hints:
** FOR THE ORIGINAL CANDIDATE ROUTING **
7A, 7B -- the airline was from eastern Europe

** FOR THE AS-FLOWN ROUTING **
7A, 7B -- the two aircraft types are derivatives of the same basic model
7B, 7C -- the connecting point between these two legs was not JFK
Lots of confusion here. I've been guessing the As-Flown itinerary .

So currently, we have:
O for Original
7.O A SU Moscow (unfamiliar it f it would be DME or SVO) IL-62
7.O B SU IL-62
7.O C JFK 747
7.O D TW JFK-STL-ABQ Equipment: 727

Lets try fitting in the 74Ls

F for As-Flown
7.F A Saudia 747 JED
7.F B China Airlines 74L TPE
7.F C CI 74L LAX
7.F D HP 737 ABQ
YVR Cockroach is offline  
Old Dec 11, 19, 5:30 pm
  #16984  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: London, England.
Programs: BA
Posts: 7,799
If it ever came down to a choice between flying a BY 763 and staying a home, I'd know which one I'd choose,
Interesting discussion from a few years ago, some by the participating crews, over on PPRuNe about the Britannia 767 charters to Australia.

https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/434...australia.html

It makes the notable point that it's much more straightforward and cheaper to operate such flights from the intermediate point, like Emirates from Dubai, than airlines from one end or the other. Way back in BOAC days they used to lodge crews in Sydney on a 3-month stint to run flights from there. Qantas still have a UK cabin crew base - the recently much publicised London to Perth nonstop 787 is handled by British flight attendants.

Last edited by WHBM; Dec 11, 19 at 5:37 pm
WHBM is offline  
Old Dec 12, 19, 8:50 am
  #16985  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: London, England.
Programs: BA
Posts: 7,799
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
AS-FLOWN
7A- AUH – XXX
7B- XXX – YYY
7C- YYY – ZZZ
7D- ZZZ – ABQ


** HINTS **
7A, 7B -- the two aircraft types are derivatives of the same basic model
7B, 7C -- the connecting point between these two legs was not JFK
It's 1983. 7A and 7B are variants of the same type. 7B is a twin jet (thus 7A is as well).The carrier is from Eastern Europe.

It ought to be a Tu134 but I can't see any of the Eastern airlines using something that small. However, Tarom had the BAC One-Eleven instead, and Bucharest is pretty close range (when flying London to Dubai nowadays you tend to pass over it. So let's say :

7A - Tarom BAC One-Eleven 500 Abu Dhabi to Bucharest
7B - Tarom BAC One-Eleven 400 Bucharest to Amsterdam
7C - KLM B747 Amsterdam to Chicago
7D - TWA 727 Chicago-Kansas City-Albuquerque
WHBM is offline  
Old Dec 12, 19, 5:16 pm
  #16986  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 15,013
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
Lots of confusion here. I've been guessing the As-Flown itinerary .

So currently, we have:
O for Original
7.O A SU Moscow (unfamiliar it f it would be DME or SVO) IL-62
7.O B SU IL-62
7.O C JFK 747
7.O D TW JFK-STL-ABQ Equipment: 727

Lets try fitting in the 74Ls

F for As-Flown
7.F A Saudia 747 JED
7.F B China Airlines 74L TPE
7.F C CI 74L LAX
7.F D HP 737 ABQ
yes, I probably should have separated these

7.OA- SU incorrect, Moscow incorrect, IL6 incorrect
7.OB- SU incorrect, IL6 incorrect

7.FA- SV incorrect, JED incorrect, 747 correct
7.FB- CI incorrect, TPE incorrect, 74L correct
7.FC- CI incorrect, LAX incorrect, 74L incorrect
7.FD- HP incorrect, 737 incorrect

you're headed in the right direction for most of this guess, though
jrl767 is offline  
Old Dec 12, 19, 5:26 pm
  #16987  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 15,013
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
It's 1983. 7A and 7B are variants of the same type. 7B is a twin jet (thus 7A is as well).The carrier is from Eastern Europe.

It ought to be a Tu134 but I can't see any of the Eastern airlines using something that small. However, Tarom had the BAC One-Eleven instead, and Bucharest is pretty close range (when flying London to Dubai nowadays you tend to pass over it. So let's say :

7A - Tarom BAC One-Eleven 500 Abu Dhabi to Bucharest
7B - Tarom BAC One-Eleven 400 Bucharest to Amsterdam
7C - KLM B747 Amsterdam to Chicago
7D - TWA 727 Chicago-Kansas City-Albuquerque
well now! progress is being made ...

however, as noted above, the "variants" hint applies to the as-flown routing, and TW/JFK appear on the original routing

7.OA: RO correct, BAC One-Eleven incorrect, BUH correct
7.OB: RO correct, BAC One-Eleven correct (variant is not specified in the reference OAG), AMS incorrect
7.OC: KL incorrect, ORD incorrect (we already know this was JFK)
7.OD: 727 incorrect, MCI incorrect (we already know this was STL)

Last edited by jrl767; Dec 12, 19 at 5:36 pm
jrl767 is offline  
Old Dec 12, 19, 5:54 pm
  #16988  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: London, England.
Programs: BA
Posts: 7,799
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post

however, as noted above, the "variants" hint applies to the as-flown routing, and TW/JFK appear on the original routing

7.OA: RO correct, BAC One-Eleven incorrect, BUH correct
7.OB: RO correct, BAC One-Eleven correct (variant is not specified in the reference OAG), AMS incorrect
Sat here watching the TV progress of the UK election, which is all counted in the traditional way once voting closes, on through the night as the results trickle in one by one, though you get a good idea pretty early on.

If Abu Dhabi to Bucharest is not a One-Eleven as well, it will be one of the others in their fleet, where they had a few each of various types; Tu154, Ilyushin 62 and Boeing 707. I'll guess a 707.

We used to see all of these turn up all through the 1980s, not on the infrequent schedule from Heathrow to Bucharest, but on holiday flights from a range of UK airports to Constanta on the Romanian Black Sea coast, which came out cheaper than Spain. You might find on summer Saturdays Tarom Il-62s at Manchester, or a Tu154 at East Midlands. Apparently the sun was the same but accommodation and food left something to be desired.
WHBM is offline  
Old Dec 12, 19, 5:59 pm
  #16989  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 15,013
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
... If Abu Dhabi to Bucharest is not a One-Eleven as well, it will be one of the others in their fleet, where they had a few each of various types; Tu154, Ilyushin 62 and Boeing 707. I'll guess a 707. ...
7.OA 707 correct
jrl767 is offline  
Old Dec 13, 19, 11:33 am
  #16990  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 336
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
Hello again all after what seems an extended interval.

I've gone on for so long there's no time to look at the quiz questions. Best regards from a still grey, still wet, Limerick Junction. Everyone getting in looks soaked, and out on the platform that lady's umbrella has just been blown inside-out. The notable thing about the passing Irish farmscape in winter is the otherwise ubiquitous cows have been taken inside. Apart from a few we just passed, still outside, huddled up against the windward side hedge trying to take shelter. If you can imagine fed-up looking cows, that was them.
After an even more extended interval away from this thread due to my job and volunteer obligations, I decided to check back in today, too.

My most recent trip was to the heart of Seat 2A country: Alamosa, Colorado. I flew there in October, on a Boutique Air Pilatus PC-12 from Denver, to visit Great Sand Dunes National Monument.

I took an 8 mile hike in the morning on the park's Mosca Pass trail through the Sangre de Cristos, which was beautiful because the aspens were at their peak, and in the afternoon I clawed my way up to the top of the 700 foot high sand dunes, much of it through sand up to my shins.

The next day, I had some free time before my flight back, so I drove out to the Monte Vista National Wildlife Refuge, and saw several Sandhill Cranes.

I've missed the quizzes and stories on this thread, and I'll try to check in more often in 2020. I recently purchased a July, 1977 OAG on EBay, and I might even use it to write a new quiz.
JoeDTW is offline  
Old Dec 13, 19, 3:41 pm
  #16991  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Programs: statusless these days
Posts: 19,914
7.FA- Cathay Pacific xHKG, 747
7.FB- Pan AM SFO 74L
7.FC- UA xDEN 727
7.FD- UA 727
YVR Cockroach is offline  
Old Dec 14, 19, 9:29 am
  #16992  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Ester, Alaska
Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Posts: 9,611
Originally Posted by JoeDTW View Post
My most recent trip was to the heart of Seat 2A country: Alamosa, Colorado. I took an 8 mile hike in the morning on the park's Mosca Pass trail through the Sangre de Cristos, which was beautiful because the aspens were at their peak, and in the afternoon I clawed my way up to the top of the 700 foot high sand dunes, much of it through sand up to my shins.

The Sangre de Cristos are beautiful. Early October is a great time to be there. I used to fly into Alamosa aboard Frontier Convair 580s - a bit more spacious and comfortable than the Pilatus.

I recently purchased a July, 1977 OAG on EBay, and I might even use it to write a new quiz.

There've been some really good deals on late 1970s OAGs of late. I encourage everyone here to have a look at eBay's offerings. And Joe, I'm sure I speak for many when I say we eagerly anticipate any questions you may care to come up with.
Seat 2A is offline  
Old Dec 14, 19, 10:36 am
  #16993  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 15,013
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
7.FA- Cathay Pacific xHKG, 747
7.FB- Pan AM SFO 74L
7.FC- UA xDEN 727
7.FD- UA 727
ah, very much closer ...

7.FA - CX incorrect, HKG correct, 747 correct
7.FB - PA correct, 74L correct
7.FC - UA incorrect, DEN incorrect, 727 incorrect
7.FD - UA incorrect, 727 incorrect

C and D -- airline and aircraft are only off by one character each
jrl767 is offline  
Old Dec 14, 19, 12:39 pm
  #16994  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, minuscule UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 8,697
Originally Posted by JoeDTW View Post
After an even more extended interval away from this thread due to my job and volunteer obligations, I decided to check back in today, too.

My most recent trip was to the heart of Seat 2A country: Alamosa, Colorado. I flew there in October, on a Boutique Air Pilatus PC-12 from Denver, to visit Great Sand Dunes National Monument.

I took an 8 mile hike in the morning on the park's Mosca Pass trail through the Sangre de Cristos, which was beautiful because the aspens were at their peak, and in the afternoon I clawed my way up to the top of the 700 foot high sand dunes, much of it through sand up to my shins.

The next day, I had some free time before my flight back, so I drove out to the Monte Vista National Wildlife Refuge, and saw several Sandhill Cranes.

I've missed the quizzes and stories on this thread, and I'll try to check in more often in 2020. I recently purchased a July, 1977 OAG on EBay, and I might even use it to write a new quiz.
Welcome back, JoeDTW! And I have been absent for the most part here on the OTAQ&D recently as well; however, in my case it's been due to illness as I was stricken with a very bad cold, the worst I've experienced in years. The good news is I'm now on the mend and am expected to live.....

During your visit to Great Sand Dunes National Monument, you most likely took note of a very high mountain summit located just to the south: Blanca Peak which has an elevation of 14,345 feet and is the highest peak in the Sangre de Cristo range. In fact, Blanca Peak is only around 90 feet less in summit elevation than the tallest mountain in Colorado, being Mt. Elbert which is 14,433 feet high. Blanca Peak also previously had a small glacier on its north slope until around the year 1900. I've driven by Blanca Peak several times on U.S. 160 between Alamosa and Walsenberg and have also flown over it a number of times while en route nonstop between IAH and SEA.

And just a bit further south in Colorado is the Spanish Peaks region comprised of 13,626 foot West Spanish Peak and 12,683 foot East Spanish Peak. The Spanish Peaks are quite dramatic when viewed from Interstate 25 as the peaks are not connected to any other mountain range but stand alone together instead. I hope to visit the Spanish Peaks this spring as part of a road trip to New Mexico and southern Colorado.

Meantime, between Seat 2A, you and yours truly, it certainly appears we will have some interesting new quiz items in the future.....
strickerj likes this.
jlemon is offline  
Old Dec 14, 19, 10:36 pm
  #16995  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Programs: statusless these days
Posts: 19,914
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
ah, very much closer ...

7.FA - CX incorrect, HKG correct, 747 correct
7.FB - PA correct, 74L correct
7.FC - UA incorrect, DEN incorrect, 727 incorrect
7.FD - UA incorrect, 727 incorrect

C and D -- airline and aircraft are only off by one character each
So 7.FB SFO is correct?
7 FC WA SLC 737
7 FD WA 737
YVR Cockroach is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: