Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Oct 20, 19, 11:27 am
  #16786  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: Once again lowly AA Gold. Lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios + some UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 7,764
Originally Posted by KT550 View Post
Atlantic Gulf Airlines, BAC One-Eleven stopping at St. Petersburg (PIE) on the way.
53. Yes sir, Atlantic Gulf operating a BAC One-Eleven is correct! However, this flight did not stop at PIE so please guess again!
jlemon is offline  
Old Oct 20, 19, 11:30 am
  #16787  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: LGW
Programs: AA, BA, DL, UA
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
53. Yes sir, Atlantic Gulf operating a BAC One-Eleven is correct! However, this flight did not stop at PIE so please guess again!
Tallahassee (TLH) for the stop.
KT550 is offline  
Old Oct 20, 19, 11:57 am
  #16788  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: Once again lowly AA Gold. Lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios + some UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 7,764
Originally Posted by KT550 View Post
Tallahassee (TLH) for the stop.
53. Excellent tap in and here's the sched.....

ZY 130: Miami (MIA) 1:50p - 3:00p Tallahassee (TLH) 3:20p - 4:10p Atlanta (ATL)
Freq: Daily except Sat.
Service class: Y
Equip: BAC One-Eleven
jlemon is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 9:13 pm
  #16789  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 13,229
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
55. You're now on your way direct to San Diego from Tulsa and your flight which operates six days a week will be making two stops en route. What airline are you traveling on, what are the locations of the two stops and what is the equipment? Hint: Aircraft was a twin engine jet and the second stop was made in California.
55- has anyone even thrown a dart at this one yet?
let’s try Western with a 737-247, stops at Salt Lake City (SLC) and Ontario (ONT)
jrl767 is online now  
Old Oct 22, 19, 9:37 am
  #16790  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 85
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
57. At this time in 1985, this airline was operating flights with DC-9-30 equipment from seven different cities nonstop to LAX. Identify the air carrier and all seven cities. It was Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA) with service from LAS, OAK, SAN, SFO, SJC, RNO and ___.And the last airport wasn't FAT, PHX or TUS. Hint: The airport in question was one of PSA's smaller stations.
Hi all,
I'm a longtime (okay, 6 months) follower of this discussion because it's absolutely fascinating to follow as a airline geek. I'm much too young to remember much of any of this (I vaguely remember flying on a DL L-1011 one time as a child... I think) and most of the questions posted relate to a time period before I was even born. I follow anyway because the wealth of knowledge on here is wonderful and it provides a fun format to learn more about commercial aviation history.

Every once in a while there's a question that can be solved by simple googling, but since I assume that's against the spirit of the thread I've never bothered putting forth any of the answers I've found. However, since this one has sat around for so long and since I'm dying to finally post something here I resorted to Wikipedia (since the airline is already known this was actually possible in this case) to submit my guess. So, hoping not to offend by my use of resources outside my own memory, I put forth my guess of SCK as the final piece of this puzzle.
strickerj likes this.
dfw88 is offline  
Old Oct 22, 19, 11:14 am
  #16791  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: Once again lowly AA Gold. Lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios + some UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 7,764
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
55- has anyone even thrown a dart at this one yet?
let’s try Western with a 737-247, stops at Salt Lake City (SLC) and Ontario (ONT)
55. Yep, it was a B737-200. However, the air carrier in question wasn't Western nor did this flight stop in Salt Lake City or Ontario. But you are on the overall right track here so please guess again!
jlemon is offline  
Old Oct 22, 19, 11:31 am
  #16792  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: Once again lowly AA Gold. Lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios + some UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 7,764
Originally Posted by dfw88 View Post
Hi all,
I'm a longtime (okay, 6 months) follower of this discussion because it's absolutely fascinating to follow as a airline geek. I'm much too young to remember much of any of this (I vaguely remember flying on a DL L-1011 one time as a child... I think) and most of the questions posted relate to a time period before I was even born. I follow anyway because the wealth of knowledge on here is wonderful and it provides a fun format to learn more about commercial aviation history.

Every once in a while there's a question that can be solved by simple googling, but since I assume that's against the spirit of the thread I've never bothered putting forth any of the answers I've found. However, since this one has sat around for so long and since I'm dying to finally post something here I resorted to Wikipedia (since the airline is already known this was actually possible in this case) to submit my guess. So, hoping not to offend by my use of resources outside my own memory, I put forth my guess of SCK as the final piece of this puzzle.
57. Welcome dfw88! Glad to have you on board with us! And Stockton (SCK) is correct!

Little ol' Stockton in the central valley of California east of the Bay Area had airline service provided by three air carriers in early 1985. Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA) was operating two daily nonstop flights round trip between SCK and LAX, one with a DC-9-30 and the other with a BAe 146 while the original Frontier was operating two daily flights from Denver with B737-200 equipment including a nonstop as well as a direct one stop via Reno. And if you wanted to fly into Stockton on board a Twin Otter, no problem as WestAir operating independently at this time was flying four times a day with the DHC-6 nonstop from SFO.
jlemon is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 2:11 am
  #16793  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: London, England.
Programs: BA
Posts: 7,424
Letter from Fuerteventura

It’s schools half-term holiday week in the UK, so hello all from the, possibly lesser known in the USA, Canary Island of Fuerteventura, where Family WHBM arrived on Saturday courtesy of a Jet2 737-800.

What relevance this has to the Old Airliners thread will become apparent in due course, but this was a trip on an almost new aircraft, on about the one holiday airline from the UK that seems to doing well and expanding. Fuerteventura airport didn’t even exist at the time we commonly discuss, it was built in the 1970s, before which the quite large island was a complete outpost of nothingness, just volcanic rock and sand, and the accommodation didn’t start to get built until well into the 1980s. I last came through here for a week 25 years ago, on an Air 2000 757 from Gatwick, and from what was then a pretty deserted place there’s been quite a build up at a few points, though it’s still mainly rock and sand. Tahiti it ain’t ! It’s only 60 miles across the sea to Saharan Africa, which is the same, though the island, like all The Canaries, is wholly Spanish, both today and in its background.


In 1963 it was one DC-3 a day from Las Palmas, landing on a gravel strip elsewhere, and has worked up through F-27s to ATRs today, quite a high frequency now, with several operators. But most of the use is holiday flights from Europe. Even those have changed, as we taxied in the first two aircraft noted were Easyjet and Ryanair. Although the UK and Germany might seem the principal sources, in fact the largest number of flights is from mainland Spain, from where the big operator to here is – Ryanair. It’s a whole new world.

In contrast, I don’t think there’s ever been a service here from the USA; the most practical route would seem to be by Iberia, connecting at Madrid onto their twice-daily A319 to the island.


Now I did say at the start that there was an Old Airliners link, and it came surprisingly at check-in at Stansted. Jet2 do their own handling which is extraordinarily efficient compared to the typical low cost/charter outsourced approach, so despite yards of Tensa barriers laid out it was straight up to the counter, where we got a notably senior gentleman, who worked through every step efficiently and effortlessly. At the end this occurred :

“There we are, through to departures. Have you been to Stansted before ?”
“Well yes. In fact I was through here the first week the new terminal here opened. 1990 was it ?”
“Hmm, do you remember which airline ?”
“Air UK. BAe146 to Edinburgh”.
“Really. I was here then. In fact I used to work at the old terminal, if you knew it, Transmeridian Air Cargo”.
“Ah, Mike Keegan’s lot”.
“Well … yes ! ”.


Now Keegan was involved with a whole string of 1950s-60s-70s airlines from this area, Transmeridian, BAF, and BKS – he was the K in those initials.

As Mrs WHBM said “what a shame he wasn’t coming off shift and you could go for a drink”.
Seat 2A, jlemon and strickerj like this.
WHBM is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 12:07 pm
  #16794  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Ester, Alaska
Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Posts: 8,742
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
55- Let’s try Western with a 737-247, stops at Salt Lake City (SLC) and Ontario (ONT)
I couldn't help but wonder... how do you know it was a -247? Western also operated the following 737-200s in 1985...

N4569N 2T4(A) 22701/868 Op. from 12/82 04/87
N4571M 2T4(A) 22793/892 Op. from 12/82 04/87
N70721 284(A) 21500/491 Op. from 05/83 04/87
N70722 284(A) 21501/492 Op. from 05/83 04/87

I know, I know... I couldn't resist!
Seat 2A is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 12:11 pm
  #16795  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Ester, Alaska
Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Posts: 8,742
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
It’s schools half-term holiday week in the UK, so hello all from the, possibly lesser known in the USA, Canary Island of Fuerteventura, where Family WHBM arrived on Saturday courtesy of a Jet2 737-800.

What relevance this has to the Old Airliners thread will become apparent in due course, but this was a trip on an almost new aircraft, on about the one holiday airline from the UK that seems to doing well and expanding. Fuerteventura airport didn’t even exist at the time we commonly discuss, it was built in the 1970s, before which the quite large island was a complete outpost of nothingness, just volcanic rock and sand, and the accommodation didn’t start to get built until well into the 1980s. I last came through here for a week 25 years ago, on an Air 2000 757 from Gatwick, and from what was then a pretty deserted place there’s been quite a build up at a few points, though it’s still mainly rock and sand. Tahiti it ain’t ! It’s only 60 miles across the sea to Saharan Africa, which is the same, though the island, like all The Canaries, is wholly Spanish, both today and in its background.


In 1963 it was one DC-3 a day from Las Palmas, landing on a gravel strip elsewhere, and has worked up through F-27s to ATRs today, quite a high frequency now, with several operators. But most of the use is holiday flights from Europe. Even those have changed, as we taxied in the first two aircraft noted were Easyjet and Ryanair. Although the UK and Germany might seem the principal sources, in fact the largest number of flights is from mainland Spain, from where the big operator to here is – Ryanair. It’s a whole new world.

In contrast, I don’t think there’s ever been a service here from the USA; the most practical route would seem to be by Iberia, connecting at Madrid onto their twice-daily A319 to the island.


Now I did say at the start that there was an Old Airliners link, and it came surprisingly at check-in at Stansted. Jet2 do their own handling which is extraordinarily efficient compared to the typical low cost/charter outsourced approach, so despite yards of Tensa barriers laid out it was straight up to the counter, where we got a notably senior gentleman, who worked through every step efficiently and effortlessly. At the end this occurred :

“There we are, through to departures. Have you been to Stansted before ?”
“Well yes. In fact I was through here the first week the new terminal here opened. 1990 was it ?”
“Hmm, do you remember which airline ?”
“Air UK. BAe146 to Edinburgh”.
“Really. I was here then. In fact I used to work at the old terminal, if you knew it, Transmeridian Air Cargo”.
“Ah, Mike Keegan’s lot”.
“Well … yes ! ”.


Now Keegan was involved with a whole string of 1950s-60s-70s airlines from this area, Transmeridian, BAF, and BKS – he was the K in those initials.

As Mrs WHBM said “what a shame he wasn’t coming off shift and you could go for a drink”.
I'm sure I've said it before but if not, I'll say again that should you ever publish a book of airline history and personal memories, I would hope to be amongst the first in line to purchase it.
Seat 2A is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 12:41 pm
  #16796  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: Once again lowly AA Gold. Lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios + some UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 7,764
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
I'm sure I've said it before but if not, I'll say again that should you ever publish a book of airline history and personal memories, I would hope to be amongst the first in line to purchase it.
And yours truly as well! Heck, I'll even attempt to contribute a bit here and there!
jlemon is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 12:48 pm
  #16797  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: Once again lowly AA Gold. Lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios + some UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 7,764
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post

Both of these quiz items have a time line of 1985......

51. This airline introduced a new front cabin service it called "Preferred Service" featuring "extra-wide, first class, two-by-two leather seating" with 37 inch seat pitch in "the entire front half of every plane". And as a introductory promotion, the air carrier in question offered its passengers "Preferred Service" at no extra charge on a first-come, first-serve basis until June 4 of 1985 when it was officially introduced. A senior executive with the airline made this statement concerning the new front cabin service: "Introducing everything you'd expect from a first class seat. Except the stupid price." Identify the airline as well as its executive who made this statement.
ANSWERED - It was Muse Air and the senior executive was M. Lamar Muse

55. You're now on your way direct to San Diego from Tulsa and your flight which operates six days a week will be making two stops en route. What airline are you traveling on, what are the locations of the two stops and what is the equipment?ANSWERED - Frontier operating a B737-200 TUL - DEN - PSP - SAN.

More to come when we return from Tahiti.....
And last call for the above! Should there be no takers, I shall then provide the answers tomorrow.....and both now ANSWERED.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 24, 19 at 11:52 am Reason: answer updates
jlemon is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 2:00 pm
  #16798  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Ester, Alaska
Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Posts: 8,742
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
And yours truly as well! Heck, I'll even attempt to contribute a bit here and there!
And you too, Mr. L! You've had quite the colorful and varied travel and professional history.

As for yours truly, I'm thrilled to see such vigorous participation in the OTAQ&D. Thanks to one and all for making it one of the longest running and most entertaining threads on FlyerTalk.

At present, I am rolling along through south Florida while corresponding via an excellent Wi-Fi connection aboard Virgin's wonderful new Brightline rail service. Lounges, snacks, drinks (including some fairly decent spirits) are complimentary and the 1-2 configured seating is very comfortable indeed. On Saturday I'll board an A321-Neo LR operated by Air Transat - my 202nd airline flown. (Maybe I'll catch up with KT550 one of these days!) On Sunday I'll settle into a comfy berth aboard ViaRail's famous streamliner The Canadian for the four day journey across Canada to Vancouver, there to board a Club Class mini-suite aboard the Star Princess for the three day cruise down the coast to LA. More to come after that, including an 8 day 7 night cruise down the Mississippi River aboard the 150 passenger paddle-wheeler Queen of the Mississippi to New Orleans. I expect to be visiting JL and Lady K during my extended stopover in Baton Rouge. And then... well, more on that later. Cheers from the roads, rails, runways and rivers of North America!
strickerj and KT550 like this.
Seat 2A is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 6:06 pm
  #16799  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Wanting First. Buying First.
Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Posts: 5,209
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
BTW, this was one of only two flights a day operated by American into Maui at the time. AA was also operating nonstop DC-10 service from Dallas/Fort Worth. United on the other hand was operating four daily flights from the west coast to OGG plus one nonstop from Chicago O'Hare with the latter service being flown with a DC-10. There were two UA flights a day from LAX, one with a DC-10 and the other with a Super DC-8-71 (and this latter flight operated with the same departure and arrival times as the AA service) plus one flight a day from both San Francisco and Seattle both operated with Super DC-8-71 equipment. And that sums up the nonstop service to Maui from the mainland in early 1985.
Playing the Halfway to Hawaii game aboard a UAL DC-8 while enjoying a mai tai or Trader Vic's Menehune juice: that's what I call flying!


Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
55. You're now on your way direct to San Diego from Tulsa and your flight which operates six days a week will be making two stops en route. What airline are you traveling on, what are the locations of the two stops and what is the equipment? Aircraft was a B737-200. Hint: the second stop was made in California. It wasn't Western and stops were not made at SLC or ONT.
How about Frontier TUL-DEN-PSP-SAN?


Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
I couldn't help but wonder... how do you know it was a -247? Western also operated the following 737-200s in 1985...

N4569N 2T4(A) 22701/868 Op. from 12/82 04/87
N4571M 2T4(A) 22793/892 Op. from 12/82 04/87
N70721 284(A) 21500/491 Op. from 05/83 04/87
N70722 284(A) 21501/492 Op. from 05/83 04/87

I know, I know... I couldn't resist!
I came close but ultimately resisted posting a similarly pedantic correction to a reference to UAL operating a certain flight with a 737-222 in the late 1980s/early 1990s. It might have been a 737-222. But it could have been a -291!

Last edited by Herb687; Oct 23, 19 at 6:36 pm Reason: multi-quote
Herb687 is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 7:10 pm
  #16800  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Ester, Alaska
Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Posts: 8,742
Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
Playing the Halfway to Hawaii game aboard a UAL DC-8 while enjoying a mai tai or Trader Vic's Menehune juice: that's what I call flying!
Here! Here! I thought then that you might appreciate more than most this photo I took from a United DC-8 back in the mid-eighties. United's First Class Mai Tais remain some of the finest I've ever imbibed. When served in combination with Mauna Loa macadamia nuts and a plate of pupu's they were - to me at least - one of flight's finest experiences




Originally Posted by Herb687
I came close but ultimately resisted posting a similarly pedantic correction to a reference to UAL operating a certain flight with a 737-222 in the late 1980s/early 1990s. It might have been a 737-222. But it could have been a -291!
I'll see your pedantics with this punctilious bit of information: United also operated two 737-2A1's inherited via the ex-Frontier a/c purchase in 1986. I only know because I flew upon both aircraft as operated by Frontier and then later flew aboard them both as operated by United. The -2A1 appendage would normally belong to Brazil's VASP, but it appears these aircraft were built for VASP but never taken up and instead delivered directly to Frontier.

N974UA 737-2A1(A) 21597/510 ex-N7340F
N976UA 737-2A1(A) 21598/512 ex-N7341F
strickerj likes this.
Seat 2A is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread