Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
The original incarnation of Frontier, stopping in BOI and GEG?

Canadian Pacific. 747-200 YVR, HNL?
Two great guesses here....

49. The first stop was indeed Boise (BOI). However, the second stop wasn't Spokane....and the air carrier in question wasn't good old Frontier.

50. Ah, it wasn't CP Air, the equipment wasn't a 747 and stops were not made in Vancouver or Honolulu. I also believe that Kahului (OGG) on Maui never received 747 service due to runway constraints but was, of course, served with the DC-10 and L-1011.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Herb687
I missed that it was three stops rather than two. Let's try ORD-ERI-IPT-ELM-LGA on that AL DC-9-30.

AA D10 LAX-DFW-SJU-SXM?
44. You are getting closer! The third stop was made in New York state and was indeed Elmira (ELM). However, the second stop was not made at Williamsport (IPT).....but it was made at a small city in Pennsylvania.

56. Correct! Here's the sched....

AA 606: Los Angeles (LAX) 7:00a - 12:00n Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) 1:10p - 7:20p San Juan (SJU) 8:15p - 8:58p St. Maarten (SXM)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Breakfast LAX-DFW, Lunch DFW-SJU
Equip: DC-10

Many years ago back at this time, I boarded American 606 at LAX in first class bound for San Juan. It was my first trip outside of the continental U.S. and my very first trip to the Caribbean. At SJU, I met up with a good friend who was a pilot at the time for Eastern Express flying the DHC-6 Twin Otter and flew with him over to St. Croix where he lived. I spent almost a month in that part of the Caribbean exploring St. Croix, St. Thomas and St. John as well as Tortola and Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands. I had also yet to set foot on a sailboat which I did during this trip for the first time as well.
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
44- the only other small PA airport between ERI and ELM that I can remember AL serving was also associated with a nearby NY city — Bradford PA / Olean NY (BFD)
Old Oct 17, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
44- the only other small PA airport between ERI and ELM that I can remember AL serving was also associated with a nearby NY city — Bradford PA / Olean NY (BFD)
44. Nice tap in! Here's the sched....

AL 966: Chicago O'Hare (ORD) 1:57p - 4:05p Erie (ERI) 4:25p - 4:53p Bradford (BFD) 5:13p - 5:42p Elmira (ELM) 6:01p - 6:45p New York LaGuardia (LGA)
Service class: S
Equip: DC-9-30

A 1976 Allegheny route map identifies BFD as Bradford/Warren/Olean while the OAG does not mention Warren, PA or Olean, NY. The airport is located about 10 miles south of Bradford, about 32 miles from Warren and about 35 miles from Olean. The population of Bradford in 2017 was reported to be 8,305 while at the same time Warren was 9,710 and Olean was 13,711....so it appears Bradford was one of the smallest places, population-wise, ever to receive jet service operated by Allegheny. And this jet service did not last very long. AL was operating one daily round trip D9S service on a routing of ORD-ERI-BFD-ELM-LGA in addition to three Convair 580 flights a day between Pittsburgh and Bradford and one Convair 580 flight a day between Buffalo and Bradford. However, by 1979 the D9S and CV-580 services were gone with Allegheny Commuter operating all flights into Bradford on behalf of AL with the Short 330 on the PIT-BFD route and the Beechcraft 99 on the BUF-BFD route.

And that engenders an old question: What's a Short 330? Well, it's the box the Twin Otter came in.....
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Allegheny lost a pair of CV-580s at BFD less than two weeks apart (24 Dec 1968 and 6 Jan 1969) ... both flights were making approaches in blowing snow and low-visibility conditions; approximately half the passengers survived each accident

a significant outcome of the investigations was that AL revised their company procedures for approaches at airports without an Instrument Landing System to require minimum visibility of 1000 feet vertical and three miles horizontal
Old Oct 18, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
And thanks for the beautiful photos! Are we talking New England here or perhaps upper New York State? I was initially planning a road trip this month up to Great Smoky Mountains National Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway in order to catch the fall colors....but then the Tahiti trip came up and we will depart in just a couple of weeks to Papeete instead.
The first photo is from the Winnepesaukee & Pimegewasset Valley RR in New Hampshire. The second is from Vermont's Green Mountain RR and the last is from the Delaware & Ulster Railway in Arkville, NY. Today it's on to the Newport & Narragansett Bay Railroad Co in Rhode Island.

Ten days until Tahiti... I can only imagine the excitement!

strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Seat 2A! Definitely a beautiful part of the world up there in the northeast US during the fall season....

And yep, we are looking forward to our upcoming trip to Tahiti and other islands in French Polynesia. This will be our second trip down that way and it will be great to be back on board a sailboat once again. Plus there are still ten seats open in Polaris Business Class on our B787-8 nonstop flight from SFO to PPT and we are on the list for possible upgrades. So we shall see if the UA upgrade gods smile in our favor......
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

49. In 1984 this air carrier was operating a direct two stop flight on weekdays from Salt Lake City (SLC) to Reno (RNO) with jet equipment. A snack followed by breakfast was served on this flight. Identify the airline, both stops and the aircraft type. It wasn't United, America West or Frontier and stops were not made at ELY, EKO, PHX, LAS or GEG. Aircraft was a Boeing 737-200 and the first stop was BOI. Hint: This flight then continued to head to the northwest before heading south.
The original incarnation of Frontier, stopping in BOI and GEG?
... great guess.....
49. The first stop was indeed Boise (BOI). However, the second stop wasn't Spokane....and the air carrier in question wasn't good old Frontier.
Please guess again, sir!
49- who else besides Air Cal -- who iirc didn't serve SLC -- ran 737s in the Northwest in 1984?
Wien transited Seattle (SEA) ... SLC-BOI-SEA-RNO would be a weird routing for a carrier with "Alaska" in its name, but I suppose they might have turned one flight south instead of going "home"

Last edited by jrl767; Oct 18, 2019 at 3:04 pm
Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

49- who else besides Air Cal -- who iirc didn't serve SLC -- ran 737s in the Northwest in 1984?
Wien transited Seattle (SEA) ... SLC-BOI-SEA-RNO would be a weird routing for a carrier with "Alaska" in its name, but I suppose they might have turned one flight south instead of going "home"
49. Actually, Wien had dropped "Alaska" from its name by this time in 1984 and was operating as Wien Airlines....and you are correct! Here's the complete sched....

WC 89: Salt Lake City (SLC) 7:00a - 8:00a Boise (BOI) 8:25a - 8:45a Seattle (SEA) 9:15a - 10:45a Reno (RNO) 11:10a - 12:40p Phoenix (PHX)
Freq: SLC-SEA daily except Sat. & Sun., SEA-PHX daily
Service class: Y
Meal services: Snack SLC-BOI, Breakfast BOI-SEA, Lunch RNO-PHX
Equip: B737-200
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

50. You've just completed project work in Toronto and have been invited by friends to visit with them at their beachfront residence in Kapalua, Maui. You've found a direct flight from YYZ to OGG which makes two stops en route and operates daily. The flight arrives into Kahului in time for you to join your friends for dinner at the Sea House Restaurant in Napili just down the beach from their home. Name the airline you'll be flying with, both stops and the equipment. Hint: Aircraft was a wide body jet but wasn't a 747. It wasn't CP Air and stops were not made a YVR or HNL.
50- well, it wasn't a TriStar either -- TWA didn't serve YYZ; Air Canada and Eastern didn't serve OGG; Delta may have, but it's moot since they only ran narrow-body jets into YYZ

so we're left with a DC-10, which means it's the two usual suspects, which of course means the first stop in common ... Chicago (ORD)

so there's a 50-50 chance that I'll get the airline right, and there's a 50-50 chance that I'll get the stop right, which in all likelihood means jlemon will either reveal the correct answer in his reply or set someone else up for an easy tap-in

so here we go: United, San Francisco (SFO)
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

50- well, it wasn't a TriStar either -- TWA didn't serve YYZ; Air Canada and Eastern didn't serve OGG; Delta may have, but it's moot since they only ran narrow-body jets into YYZ

so we're left with a DC-10, which means it's the two usual suspects, which of course means the first stop in common ... Chicago (ORD)

so there's a 50-50 chance that I'll get the airline right, and there's a 50-50 chance that I'll get the stop right, which in all likelihood means jlemon will either reveal the correct answer in his reply or set someone else up for an easy tap-in

so here we go: United, San Francisco (SFO)
50. Yep, the equipment was a DC-10 and the first stop was Chicago O'Hare. However, the air carrier in question wasn't United and the second stop wasn't San Francisco. Please guess again!

P.S. - Delta definitely served OGG with the L-1011. I flew with DL on the L10 a number of times over to Maui and back. Delta also operated the TriStar LAX-HNL-OGG in addition to LAX-OGG and sold seats on the hop between Honolulu and Maui.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 19, 2019 at 6:11 pm Reason: a Delta P.S.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
50. You've just completed project work in Toronto and have been invited by friends to visit with them at their beachfront residence in Kapalua, Maui. You've found a direct flight from YYZ to OGG which makes two stops en route and operates daily. The flight arrives into Kahului in time for you to join your friends for dinner at the Sea House Restaurant in Napili just down the beach from their home. Name the airline you'll be flying with, both stops and the equipment. Hint: Aircraft was a wide body jet but wasn't a 747. It wasn't CP Air and stops were not made a YVR or HNL.
So if it wasn't UA via SFO but was a DC-10, AA via LAX?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So if it wasn't UA via SFO but was a DC-10, AA via LAX?
50. Correct! Here's the sched....

AA 181: Toronto (YYZ) 7:45a - 8:13a Chicago O'Hare (ORD) 9:05a - 11:05a Los Angeles (LAX) 1:00p - 4:40p Kahului (OGG)
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Breakfast YYZ-ORD & ORD-LAX, Lunch LAX-OGG
Equip: DC-10

BTW, this was one of only two flights a day operated by American into Maui at the time. AA was also operating nonstop DC-10 service from Dallas/Fort Worth. United on the other hand was operating four daily flights from the west coast to OGG plus one nonstop from Chicago O'Hare with the latter service being flown with a DC-10. There were two UA flights a day from LAX, one with a DC-10 and the other with a Super DC-8-71 (and this latter flight operated with the same departure and arrival times as the AA service) plus one flight a day from both San Francisco and Seattle both operated with Super DC-8-71 equipment. And that sums up the nonstop service to Maui from the mainland in early 1985.

And also BTW, I highly recommend The Sea House restaurant (established back in 1963) on the beach at Napili. Great food and service with gorgeous views of the neighbor islands of Molokai and Lanai plus it's just a short walk away from a beautiful little cove where one can snorkel with sea turtles.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 20, 2019 at 12:57 pm Reason: additional info concerning AA & UA service into OGG and a good word for The Sea House
Old Oct 20, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please limit your response to two quiz items per day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete and specific answers here. Thanks!

The next four quiz items have a time line of 1985.....

51. This airline introduced a new front cabin service it called "Preferred Service" featuring "extra-wide, first class, two-by-two leather seating" with 37 inch seat pitch in "the entire front half of every plane". And as a introductory promotion, the air carrier in question offered its passengers "Preferred Service" at no extra charge on a first-come, first-serve basis until June 4 of 1985 when it was officially introduced. A senior executive with the airline made this statement concerning the new front cabin service: "Introducing everything you'd expect from a first class seat. Except the stupid price." Identify the airline as well as its executive who made this statement. It wasn't Midwest Express and Mr. Tim Hoeksema did not make this statement. Hint: The airline in question was operating two different twin engine jet aircraft types at this time.

53. Now you are in Miami and need to travel to Atlanta for a dinner meeting. Ah, here's an interesting flight which makes one stop en route and operates daily except on Saturdays. Hmmm......there's no first class available on this flight as the aircraft is in an all-coach configuration. What the heck, you book a seat anyway. Identify the airline, the stop and the equipment. ANSWERED - Atlantic Gulf operating a BAC One-Eleven with a stop at TLH

55. You're now on your way direct to San Diego from Tulsa and your flight which operates six days a week will be making two stops en route. What airline are you traveling on, what are the locations of the two stops and what is the equipment? Aircraft was a B737-200. Hint: the second stop was made in California. It wasn't Western and stops were not made at SLC or ONT.

57. At this time in 1985, this airline was operating flights with DC-9-30 equipment from seven different cities nonstop to LAX. Identify the air carrier and all seven cities. ANSWERED - Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA) with service from LAS, OAK, SAN, SFO, SJC, RNO and SCK
And just four three two left to go here.....

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 22, 2019 at 10:39 am Reason: answer update
Old Oct 20, 2019, 10:16 am

53. Now you are in Miami and need to travel to Atlanta for a dinner meeting. Ah, here's an interesting flight which makes one stop en route and operates daily except on Saturdays. Hmmm......there's no first class available on this flight as the aircraft is in an all-coach configuration. What the heck, you book a seat anyway. Identify the airline, the stop and the equipment. Hint: Aircraft was a twin engine jet and the stop was made in Florida.
Atlantic Gulf Airlines, BAC One-Eleven stopping at St. Petersburg (PIE) on the way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.