Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
15- now this is a real stumper ... besides United, I think Western was the only other US major carrier serving YVR, with 727-200 service from Los Angeles (LAX) and Portland (PDX) ... I doubt they went to DEN from either; even if they operated a Salt Lake City (SLC) flight that continued to DEN, I can’t place them in TPA

that said, Frontier with a 737-200 fits for YVR-XXX-DEN, with Spokane (GEG) being the intermediate stop, but I think TPA was too far afield for them ... on the basis that that’s a memory glitch, how about a DEN-TPA route that also served St. Louis (STL) and Birmingham (BHM)
15. A great guess as Spokane (GEG) was indeed the first stop and we already know that Denver (DEN) was the second stop.

However, the air carrier in question wasn't Frontier, the equipment wasn't a B737-200 and stops were not made at St. Louis (STL) or Birmingham (BHM).
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
15- well then ... GEG-DEN points to Continental, and Houston (IAH)-TPA is completely credible, so we’re left with DEN-XXX-IAH ... the equipment was probably a 727-200; how about Austin (AUS) for the third stop
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
15- well then ... GEG-DEN points to Continental, and Houston (IAH)-TPA is completely credible, so we’re left with DEN-XXX-IAH ... the equipment was probably a 727-200; how about Austin (AUS) for the third stop
15. You're almost there as it was indeed CO operating a 72S. However, Austin wasn't the third stop. And we await the tap in.....
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
19- re-engaging on this one (PIA-LAX on a 72S — not TW — with three stops) ... how about United via Omaha (OMA), Denver (DEN), and Ontario (ONT)
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
41. Correct! Here's the round trip sched operated by LTU.....
Gosh. I was more confident about TWA from Peoria than this one.

LTU was the fundamentals behind the merger and expansion of Air Berlin across Europe and then the world, all now lost.

5. Nope, it wasn't Indianapolis (IND) or Memphis (MEM). Please guess again!
What about St Petersburg ? The Electra certainly had the legs to do Chicago to Florida.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
5. It's 1960 and you are in Minneapolis. You're off to Miami and will be flying in first class with this daily flight making two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the aircraft type.
It was Eastern operating an L-188 Electra. First stop was Chicago Midway. Still looking for the second stop which wasn't SDF or ATL.

Alright then... let's go with... Nashville!
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

19- re-engaging on this one (PIA-LAX on a 72S — not TW — with three stops) ... how about United via Omaha (OMA), Denver (DEN), and Ontario (ONT)
19. Nope, it wasn't United. However, you are making excellent progress here as the first stop was Omaha and the second stop was Denver....although the third stop wasn't Ontario.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Gosh. I was more confident about TWA from Peoria than this one.

LTU was the fundamentals behind the merger and expansion of Air Berlin across Europe and then the world, all now lost.

5. What about St Petersburg ? The Electra certainly had the legs to do Chicago to Florida.
5. A great guess! Alas, it wasn't St. Petersburg (PIE...or LED )......
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
5. It's 1960 and you are in Minneapolis. You're off to Miami and will be flying in first class with this daily flight making two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the aircraft type.
It was Eastern operating an L-188 Electra. First stop was Chicago Midway. Still looking for the second stop which wasn't SDF or ATL.

Alright then... let's go with... Nashville!
5. Ah, it wasn't the home of the Grand Ole Opry (BNA).......

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 22, 2019 at 6:05 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 22, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

15- my mental flip of a coin between Dallas (DFW) and San Antonio (SAT) came up heads —DFW

19- PIA-OMA-DEN-XXX-LAX, not UA ... surely (again ) it’s Continental; how about Orange County (SNA) for the last stop
Old Sep 22, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

15- my mental flip of a coin between Dallas (DFW) and San Antonio (SAT) came up heads —DFW

19- PIA-OMA-DEN-XXX-LAX, not UA ... surely (again ) it’s Continental; how about Orange County (SNA) for the last stop
15. Your coin toss is most fortuitous....and it is also correct! Here's the sched....

CO 90: Vancouver (YVR) 7:55a - 9:00a Spokane (GEG) 9:35a - 12:43p Denver (DEN) 1:25p - 4:15p Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) 5:00p - 6:00p Houston Intercontinental (IAH) 6:45p - 9:50p Tampa (TPA)
Op: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Breakfast snack in F only YVR-GEG, breakfast in F/Y GEG-DEN, snack in F/Y DEN-DFW, dinner in F & snack in Y IAH-TPA
Equip: B727-200

19. Yep, it was good old Continental. However, the third stop wasn't made at Orange County (SNA). And in fact, I cannot remember any airline ever operating B727-200 service into Orange County....but I'd love to see a schedule involving the 72S at SNA if anyone can find one.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
19. ... I cannot remember any airline ever operating B727-200 service into Orange County...
19- yeah, that’s probably true; SNA was a quick geography-based guess made without a pause to reflect on the operational situation ... keeping with the theme of a short tag to LAX, how about Palm Springs (PSP)
Old Sep 22, 2019, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

19- yeah, that’s probably true; SNA was a quick geography-based guess made without a pause to reflect on the operational situation ... keeping with the theme of a short tag to LAX, how about Palm Springs (PSP)
19. Yet another great guess.....but nope!

And now to finish the weekend's yard work followed by a cool drink featuring rum from Barbados mixed with freshly squeezed orange juice to be enjoyed out on the back deck (where I shall admire my handiwork)......

P.S. - Good Lord, the Saints actually won this afternoon without QB Drew Brees....against of all teams the Seahawks in a game at Seattle. Mr. Brees is out for at least a month following surgery for a hand injury sustained during a recent game with the L.A. Rams. And I really did not give the Saints much of chance against the Seahawks without Drew.

But the boys from N.O. won anyway!

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 22, 2019 at 6:00 pm Reason: added a rum commentary & P.S. - The Saints
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: BA
Alas, Thomas Cook Airlines in the UK and Europe has gone under

https://www.pprune.org/airlines-airp...l#post10576687

The merging together in recent times of so many European holiday airline names, including several of the onetime subsidiaries of national carriers. BEA Airtours, later British Airtours, later again Caledonian, from BA. Condor, from Lufthansa. Scanair, from SAS. And a whole host of other names that had been rolled into the organisation.

Unfortunately, as with a number of other merged corporations in recent times, buying up all these companies was with borrowed money that somehow has to be paid back, with interest. So while the basic business can be rolling along with airline operations and hotel contracts, it gets swamped with the ability, or inability, to pay those financing loans back.

Last edited by WHBM; Sep 22, 2019 at 6:53 pm
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Problem re-posting this update so will re-post again....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.