Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
as did I, after following Seat 2A's direction to think about it
Well then.....you should have used upper case for sat. @:-)
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
hence the "" at the end ... but maybe subtlety is in the eye (brain) of the poster

(I briefly contemplated typing the entire post in caps, but figured that would generate some pushback also ...)
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
72. (1988) Eastern Airlines used to offer nonstop service between New Orleans and Mexico City. Sadly, that service is no more. These days, your only options are a connection in either Houston or Dallas OR a single direct two stop flight departing New Orleans each afternoon. You’ll book the direct flight, please. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
HINT: Think meatballs

So we know this was Continental and the first stop was IAH.....and I want to say the second stop was San Antonio. However, I cannot remember if CO ever flew SAT-MEX nonstop. So let's go with McAllen (MFE) as the second stop.

Should've gone with your first instinct, JL. Post deregulation, anything goes, and so San Antonio is correct! Here's the schedule...

Continental CO 449 New Orleans (MSY) 450p-555p Houston (IAH) 630p-732p San Antonio (SAT) 800p-845p S Mexico City (MEX) 737-300 Daily
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
hence the "" at the end ... but maybe subtlety is in the eye (brain) of the poster

(I briefly contemplated typing the entire post in caps, but figured that would generate some pushback also ...)
I have no idea what you two are going on about...
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Alright then, let's close these out...

77. (1988) This airline operated just two scheduled flights – one in each direction four days a week between just one city pair. The aircraft in question was narrow bodied and did not offer a First Class cabin. Can you identify the airline, aircraft and city pair?
HINT: One of the cities was in Florida. Flight time was about 3 hours... The airline we're looking for eventually operated widebody equipment (2 different widebodies) and a variety of Boeing jetliners...

The airline we're looking for here is American Trans Air.. Here are the only two scheduled flights shown to be operating in 1988...

American Trans Air TZ 21 Indianapolis (IND) 745a-1055a Ft. Myers (FMY) 727-100 Operates 1-3-5-6

American Trans Air TZ 22 Ft. Myers (FMY) 1130a-1255p Indianapolis (IND) 727-100 Operates 1-3-5-6

78. (1995) You’re flying from Ft. Lauderdale to Freeport, Bahamas. Most of the time you’re used to smaller jets or worse – props – on the short 30 minute flight. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that one airline actually operates a wide body aircraft on this route. Please identify the aircraft and the airline serving this route.
It's a central European airline that got its start as a charter airline. The flight operated just once weekly...

Dutch airline Martinair is the airline of record here.

Martinair MP 653 Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) 345p-425p Freeport (FPO) Boeing 767-300 Thu only
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for your participation over the past seventy some odd questions, everyone ^^ And now, let's settle in for an exciting new set of queries from quizmeister jlemon
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Thanks for your participation over the past seventy some odd questions, everyone ^^
as always, thanks to Seat 2A and all the participants for the entertaining history lessons ... and that said, adding a couple of commas works too, viz:
“... seventy, some odd, questions ...”
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Thanks for your participation over the past seventy some odd questions, everyone ^^ And now, let's settle in for an exciting new set of queries from quizmeister jlemon
Well, I was just getting ready to post my first round of new quiz items after spending several hours composing them when I received a system error message followed by my post being completely wiped out without a trace with apparently no way to retrieve it. Very frustrating!

I have reached out to the FT technical folks concerning this problem but I have a feeling I may have to start over from scratch.

Thanks for your patience.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Well, I was just getting ready to post my first round of new quiz items after spending several hours composing them when I received a system error message followed by my post being completely wiped out without a trace with apparently no way to retrieve it. Very frustrating!
For anything lengthy, t may be better to compose on an offline editor, then copy 'n paste. We've ll been through this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the few times I've submitted question sets, I've written them up in a separate Word document, then done a simple copy/paste into the FT post ... the only work involved thereafter was some formatting cleanup
Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
For anything lengthy, t may be better to compose on an offline editor, then copy 'n paste. We've ll been through this.
Of course, this assumes I'm actually computer literate.....which is a subject of debate concerning this old timer!

Update: I've now heard back from one of the FT technical folks and it appears the Restore Auto-Saved Content feature has been disabled following recent FT website maintenance. Hopefully, they will be able to restore this invaluable feature.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 12, 2019 at 2:06 pm Reason: Update
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Of course, this assumes I'm actually computer literate.....which is a subject of debate concerning this old timer!

Update: I've now heard back from one of the FT technical folks and it appears the Restore Auto-Saved Content feature has been disabled following recent FT website maintenance. Hopefully, they will be able to restore this invaluable feature.
Does this mean that it is still saved but you can't get it back
Typing into a simple text editor, as suggested above, is the way to go with anything that you invest a lot of typing in.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MADPhil
Does this mean that it is still saved but you can't get it back
Typing into a simple text editor, as suggested above, is the way to go with anything that you invest a lot of typing in.
It appears it has completely vanished into the deepest, darkest corner of cyberspace where most fear to tread.....
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I go back far but not as far as you. I do remember some 30 years ago someone I worked with spent all day intensely working on a computer spreadsheet (Lotus 1-2-3, for those who remember when there were spreadsheets other than MS Excel). Power went out very briefly in central London and....

Thankfully more-modern offline editors have autosave.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
... Lotus 1-2-3, for those who remember when there were spreadsheets other than MS Excel). ...
and Notes, and Symphony, and whatever the graphics function was called ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.