Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Aug 17, 19, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
Picture 4 seems to be a classic mid 70s interior 707 (there was a cabin refresh at that time which got rid of those hanging boxes which housed, IIRC, lights, vent and seat belt/no smoking signs. I remember those very well. Airline? I will have to guess it was Kenya Airways.
You're right about pic 4 being a Boeing, but in this instance it was not the 707. The airline in question did however fly 707s, though I'm not sure if any of them benefited from the widebody cabin kit as depicted in this picture. The airline's flight attendants in this picture wore uniforms designed by a famous European fashion designer... Please, guess again!
Old Aug 17, 19, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS DL
The man in picture 6 has a creepy smile. Yuckkkk.
Old Aug 18, 19, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
Picture 5: This is a Lockheed L-1011 Tristar. The overhead bins are distinctive. Unfortunately, the middle section has no bins. The middle section was almost always 5 across but this early version has 4 and a divider. The blue seats are classic Eastern. In its time, it was the most modern airliner flying, perhaps into the mid-1980's. Eastern Airlines, Lockheed L-1011 Tristar
Correct! I got to fly on this early version of Eastern's TriStar on a couple of occasions in the late 1970s. The 2-4-2 seating was supremely comfortable with generous legroom and great inflight service back in the day. I remember steak and double baked potatoes with delicious fruit tarts for dessert.
Old Aug 18, 19, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Picture 4 — this is the “wide-body-look” interior on a 727-200; the color scheme on the upholstery and the FAs’ uniforms clearly show that the operator’s advertising about “The end of the plain plane” covered more than just the seven (?) exterior paint colors that they introduced ~1968 — Braniff
Old Aug 18, 19, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
Picture 4 — this is the “wide-body-look” interior on a 727-200; the color scheme on the upholstery and the FAs’ uniforms clearly show that the operator’s advertising about “The end of the plain plane” covered more than just the seven (?) exterior paint colors that they introduced ~1968 — Braniff
Well J - you're correct about Braniff but a wee bit off on your aircraft and year. "“The end of the plain plane” campaign was commenced in 1965 with the "jelly bean" pastel fuselages. The new widebody look interiors were implemented on Braniff International Boeing 727 aircraft in 1971 and were dubbed the "High Wide and Handsome Wide Body Look". It was a first in the industry and gave Braniff's narrow body 727 interiors the look and feel of the new larger wide body jumbo jets. 727 Braniff Place featured high and sculpted ceilings with enclosed overhead luggage bins in light and soothing colors. Interior seat fabrics and drapes were designed by textile designer Jack Lenor Larsen who supplied similar embellishment for 747 Braniff Place and Braniff's Terminal of the Future at Dallas Love Field that opened in 1968.

The picture depicts a Braniff 727-100 with passengers of the era - quite a departure from the Walmart crowd that populates steerage on U.S. flights these days... )
Old Aug 18, 19, 4:03 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Seat 2A;31425369]Here's a thought for some quick questions... I am going to present twelve photographs of an airline lounge, cabin or inflight service. See if you can match the photo with the airline and aircraft type. In order that all might have a chance to participate, please answer no more than ONE picture at a time. Thanks!

Picture 1: A N S W E R E D Air India L-1011
Picture 2: A N S W E R E D Continental DC-10
Picture 3: A N S W E R E D BOAC VC10
Picture 4: A N S W E R E D Braniff International 727-100
Picture 5: A N S W E R E D Eastern Airlines L-1011

Picture 6:

Picture 7: A N S W E R E D Air New Zealand DC-8-53

Picture 8: A N S W E R E D Qantas A380

Picture 9: A N S W E R E D SAS Caravelle

Picture 10:

Picture 11:

Picture 12: A N S W E R E D PSA L-1011

Picture 13: A N S W E R E D Alaska 727-100

Picture 14:

Picture 15:

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 20, 19 at 11:25 am
Old Aug 18, 19, 1:47 pm

[QUOTE=Seat 2A;31428584]
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
Here's a thought for some quick questions... I am going to present twelve photographs of an airline lounge, cabin or inflight service. See if you can match the photo with the airline and aircraft type.

Picture 13:

Looks Russian but it isn't. It looks fake Russian. In that case, it would be Alaska Airlines, which had fake Russian service and fake 1890's brothel service along with live banjo music at times.

Alaska Airlines, Boeing 727

Even in coach, they had free meals including, at times, lobster stew.
Old Aug 18, 19, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA, BA, DL, UA
Saudia L-1011
Old Aug 18, 19, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Picture 8 -- the window proportions point to an A380; the fact that the IFE startup screen is in English says it's either BA or Qantas ... I'm going with the latter
Old Aug 18, 19, 9:19 pm

Picture 8 -- the window proportions point to an A380; the fact that the IFE startup screen is in English says it's either BA or Qantas ... I'm going with the latter
I agree. Look at the flight attendant's arm near the shoulder. That's a boomerang. Which is more likely? A British Airways boomerang or a Qantas boomerang?
Old Aug 18, 19, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nice catch
Old Aug 19, 19, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
Picture 13: Looks Russian but it isn't. It looks fake Russian. In that case, it would be Alaska Airlines, which had fake Russian service and fake 1890's brothel service along with live banjo music at times. Alaska Airlines, Boeing 727. Even in coach, they had free meals including, at times, lobster stew.
Alaska's 727 is correct. I don't know if I would use the word "fake" so much as I might say the service was "Russian inspired". Additionally, I suspect not all saloons were brothels back in the day. The live banjo music was from a few years earlier when Charlie Willis (Alaska's president) used to make occasional appearances aboard Alaska's Convair 880s (or was it DC-6s) and play banjo in the mid-cabin bar. One thing's for sure - flying sure was a lot more fun back then - a far cry from the comparatively uptight and rigid product that passes as "service" these days.
jlemon and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 19, 19, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KT550 View Post
Picture 14: Saudia L-1011
L-1011 yes. Saudia no.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 19, 19 at 2:14 am
Old Aug 19, 19, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Picture 8: The window proportions point to an A380; the fact that the IFE startup screen is in English says it's either BA or Qantas ... I'm going with the latter
Dang, J ! You are such a detective! Qantas it is . I had the good fortune to fly aboard Qantas' A380 in First Class roundtrip between Dallas and Sydney back in 2017. It offered what just might be the most comfortable inflight bed I have ever slept in.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 19, 19 at 10:54 am
Old Aug 19, 19, 12:33 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
Picture 10:
This one looks like a Swissair Convair 990 to me.

Last edited by strickerj; Aug 19, 19 at 12:41 pm Reason: Fixed quote tag

Search this Thread