Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Aug 14, 19, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
The last one!
42. (1983)
Following a meeting with your client at the airport lounge in Philadelphia, you’ll continue on down to Raleigh, NC. Three airlines offer nonstop flights on this route but you’ll be traveling on the least expensive one – the only one to operate its aircraft in an all-Economy Class configuration while also still serving its cheapskate passengers a luncheon enroute. By now you surely know the drill – airline, aircraft, rank and serial number.
HINT: This is the smallest jet serving this route.
HINT: It was not flown by US Air or any other major US airline
saving the Best for last?

about the only small jets in the inventory in 1983 were the BAC One-Eleven, Fokker F.28, and DC-9-10 ... having already ruled out US Air (the One-Eleven) and other majors (DC-9-10 operators EA, OZ, SO, and TW; 737 operator PI), and being highly confident that F.28 operator Empire didn't serve RDU, I'm figuring this had to be Best Airlines with a baby DC-9

Last edited by jrl767; Aug 15, 19 at 10:53 am
Old Aug 14, 19, 9:29 pm

Programs: AS DL
3 posts up.

Oh, I did not read the question. Paramaribo could have been a stop but it is not in the Caribbean. I did not make this up. I looked online and saw it mentioned. Maybe correct, maybe not, maybe correct info but technically incorrect answer (non-Caribbean).
Old Aug 15, 19, 8:34 pm

42. (1983) Following a meeting with your client at the airport lounge in Philadelphia, you’ll continue on down to Raleigh, NC. Three airlines offer nonstop flights on this route but you’ll be traveling on the least expensive one – the only one to operate its aircraft in an all-Economy Class configuration while also still serving its cheapskate passengers a luncheon enroute. By now you surely know the drill – airline, aircraft, rank and serial number.

New York Air, DC-9-30

I'll keep guessing!
Old Aug 15, 19, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
42. (1983) Following a meeting with your client at the airport lounge in Philadelphia, you’ll continue on down to Raleigh, NC. Three airlines offer nonstop flights on this route but you’ll be traveling on the least expensive one – the only one to operate its aircraft in an all-Economy Class configuration while also still serving its cheapskate passengers a luncheon enroute. By now you surely know the drill – airline, aircraft, rank and serial number.
HINT: This is the smallest jet serving this route.
HINT: It was not flown by US Air or any other major US airline

Saving the Best for last? About the only small jets in the inventory in 1983 were the BAC One-Eleven, Fokker F.28, and DC-9-10 ... having already ruled out US Air (the One-Eleven) and other majors (DC-9-10 operators EA, OZ, SO, and TW; 737 operator PI), and being highly confident that F.28 operator Empire didn't serve RDU, I'm figuring this had to be Best Airlines with a baby DC-9

Excellent deduction, Detective 767! Best Air and the DC-9-10 are exactly, 100% correct!

Best Airlines IW 743 Philadelphia (PHL) 1230p-130p L Raleigh (RDU) DC-9-10 X6
Old Aug 15, 19, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post

New York Air, DC-9-30

New York Air might have worked had we been flying out of LGA, but not PHL. I was thinking some of you might've mentioned Altair with the Philly connection, but now you've got me thinking... Did Altair even fly to RDU?
Old Aug 15, 19, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Back in 1982, twin engine jets were not widely used on long predominantly over-water flights. Indeed, from the east coast of the United States, only one airline operated 737 flights to destinations in the Caribbean over 1000 miles away. Identify that airline, the U.S. gateway airport from which its 737 flights departed and the two Caribbean destinations so served.
HINT: It's a foreign airline

Herb
had mentioned the possibility of Bahamasair operating out of NYC down to NAS or FPO. I checked my mid-1982 schedules and as I suspected, Bahamasair was not yet serving the New York market. Nor were any twin-engine jets.
Old Aug 15, 19, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

During our brief break between questions, allow me to present a nice sunset photo I took while flying from Las Vegas up to Seattle earlier this year. I like the way the light reflected off the wing and engine cowling...

strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Here's a thought for some quick questions... I am going to present twelve photographs of an airline lounge, cabin or inflight service. See if you can match the photo with the airline and aircraft type. In order that all might have a chance to participate, please answer no more than ONE picture at a time. Thanks!

Picture 1:

Picture 2: A N S W E R E D Continental DC-10

Picture 3: A N S W E R E D BOAC VC10

Picture 4:

Picture 5:

Picture 6:

Picture 7:

Picture 8:

Picture 9: A N S W E R E D SAS Caravelle

Picture 10:

Picture 11:

Picture 12: A N S W E R E D PSA L-1011

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 18, 19 at 1:34 am
Old Aug 15, 19, 11:06 pm

New York Air, DC-9-30

New York Air might have worked had we been flying out of LGA, but not PHL. I was thinking some of you might've mentioned Altair with the Philly connection, but now you've got me thinking... Did Altair even fly to RDU?
---
Thanks for the answer. The game was slowing down and I wanted to guess. The wild guess was that New York had an odd flight out of PHL, which we now know is a wrong answer.

I learned something. Never heard of Best Airlines. What a horror that would be in search engines. What's the best airline to Europe? What's the best airline as far as delays? An obscure band used to be called "Gentleman" but it got lost in the search engines, causing them to change their name.

Altair? I believe they did fly to RDU but not in 1983. By then, they were bankrupt. That was my preliminary answer that I didn't give.
Old Aug 15, 19, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Picture 2, I will guess the lounge on a Continental Airlines DC-10.

Picture 7 has the airline copyright in the bottom left.
Old Aug 15, 19, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
Here's a thought for some quick questions... I am going to present twelve photographs of an airline lounge, cabin or inflight service. See if you can match the photo with the airline and aircraft type.

Picture 3:

Vickers VC-10. BOAC Cunard

First clue for me. The overhead bins are odd. Not a design on a Boeing.
Second clue for me. Hey, this looks familiar
Third clue for me. The roped off seats. It must be a museum piece. That narrows it down to a IL-62 or VC-10 or a few others.
Back to the second clue. I've seen the BOAC Cunard VC-10 at Duxford, near Cambridge, England. If I didn't, I wouldn't know about Cunard, other than they used to exist as an aircraft livery.
Old Aug 15, 19, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
\

Picture 7 has the airline copyright in the bottom left.
Ha ha, I didn't see that. But that's a clue for someone who rarely participates because they don't know where to begin to guess.
Old Aug 15, 19, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
Ha ha, I didn't see that. But that's a clue for someone who rarely participates because they don't know where to begin to guess.
True. Airline is obvious but the a/c is less so Picture 4 and 5, the a/c are so obvious but I can only guess the airline for 4.
Old Aug 16, 19, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
I’ll offer that Picture 9 is a Pan American World Airways Boeing 377 Stratocruiser
Old Aug 16, 19, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
I’ll offer that Picture 9 is a Pan American World Airways Boeing 377 Stratocruiser
I think otherwise but I have met my quota for today's answers. That uniform is sharp looking, I might add.

Search this Thread