Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Aug 8, 19, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
36. (1995) You commute regularly between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, a market served exclusively by US Airways. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a new airline offering five daily flights in each direction. You quickly book a seat on the evening departure out of Pittsburgh. Identify the airline and aircraft type youíll be flying upon.

I'm going to guess Nations Air with a 737-200

Right on, Oski! Here's the schedule of your evening departure...

Nations Air Express N5 226 Pittsburgh (PIT) 720p-825p Philadelphia (PHL) 737-200 Daily
Old Aug 8, 19, 1:25 pm

Programs: Once again lowly AA Gold. Lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios + some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post

53. (1988) You need to fly from your company headquarters in Sioux City, Iowa down to your westernmost field office in El Paso, Texas. You were sure you’d have to make a connection somewhere but lo and behold, the SUX-ELP market is served with a single 2-stop direct flight departing SUX every evening except Saturday at 625p. Please identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type to be flown.
See Post 16159 & 16184
53. One mo' time.....America West 73S operating Sioux City - Lincoln - Phoenix - El Paso.

And now to our lil' tractor lawn mower before tropical thundershowers possibly roll in this afternoon.....
Old Aug 8, 19, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
53. (1988) You need to fly from your company headquarters in Sioux City, Iowa down to your westernmost field office in El Paso, Texas. You were sure you’d have to make a connection somewhere but lo and behold, the SUX-ELP market is served with a single 2-stop direct flight departing SUX every evening except Saturday at 625p. Please identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type to be flown.
See Post 16159 & 16184

One mo' time.....America West 73S operating Sioux City - Lincoln - Phoenix - El Paso.

That's the ticket, Sir! Here's the sked...

America West HP 429 Sioux City (SUX) 625p-655p Lincoln (LNK) 720p-755p S Phoenix (PHX) 830p-1035p El Paso (ELP) 737-200 X6
Old Aug 8, 19, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
37. (1988) Sheesh! You sure do travel out of Nassau a lot! This time youíll need to find a flight between Nassau and Indianapolis. You envision a painful layover in Miamiís damp and outdated airport (that carpet smells really bad over on the F Concourse) but lookee here! Thereís a single one-stop direct flight each day that even offers not one but two snacks enroute! Book it, Danno! And donít forget to request the lacto-ovo vegetarian option, please. Airline, aircraft and enroute stop, please.
37- I'll offer US Air, operating a 737-200 that puts down at Baltimore (BWI) on the way
Old Aug 9, 19, 12:27 am

Programs: AS DL
31. (1983) Yes!!! Your signature Blackened Tri-Tips BBQ Sandwich has earned you an invitation to compete in the American Royal World Series of Barbecue being held this year in Kansas City, MO. Better yet, your travel agent has informed you that there’s an airline that offers a direct two-stop flight from Los Angeles into Kansas City’s Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport, much more convenient than Kansas City International (MCI) which is located 20 miles out of town. Name the airline, enroute stops and aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.

Air Midwest, Jetstream 31, stopping in Phoenix and Amarillo

I'll admit that I have a big feeling that the Jetstream 31 is not correct. The range is too short for Kansas City to Los Angeles without stopping about 3 times unless on a ferry flight carrying little or no cargo or passengers.

Last edited by Toshbaf; Aug 9, 19 at 1:12 am
Old Aug 9, 19, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
37. (1988) Sheesh! You sure do travel out of Nassau a lot! This time you’ll need to find a flight between Nassau and Indianapolis. You envision a painful layover in Miami’s damp and outdated airport (that carpet smells really bad over on the F Concourse) but lookee here! There’s a single one-stop direct flight each day that even offers not one but two snacks enroute! Book it, Danno! And don’t forget to request the lacto-ovo vegetarian option, please. Airline, aircraft and enroute stop, please.

I'll offer US Air, operating a 737-200 that puts down at Baltimore (BWI) on the way

I'm with you on this one, J - if I didn't know better, US Air would seem very reasonable. But NO! We're looking for a different airline, aircraft and route. Please guess again!
Old Aug 9, 19, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
31. (1983) Yes!!! Your signature Blackened Tri-Tips BBQ Sandwich has earned you an invitation to compete in the American Royal World Series of Barbecue being held this year in Kansas City, MO. Better yet, your travel agent has informed you that thereís an airline that offers a direct two-stop flight from Los Angeles into Kansas Cityís Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport, much more convenient than Kansas City International (MCI) which is located 20 miles out of town. Name the airline, enroute stops and aircraft type youíll be flying upon.

Air Midwest, Jetstream 31, stopping in Phoenix and Amarillo. I'll admit that I have a big feeling that the Jetstream 31 is not correct. The range is too short for Kansas City to Los Angeles without stopping about 3 times unless on a ferry flight carrying little or no cargo or passengers.

Whoa, Nellie! Serious thinking outside the box here, T I like it, but alas, we're looking for a different airline and equipment on this one. One of the stops for this flight was indeed Phoenix, however. Keep plugging away!
Old Aug 9, 19, 12:28 pm

Programs: Once again lowly AA Gold. Lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios + some UA miles, former CO Plat

57. (1988) Boy, you sure do miss Western Airlines and its convenient direct flight from Vancouver, BC down to your winter home down in Palm Springs, California. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that the YVR-PSP market is currently served via a single two-stop direct flight departing Vancouver every afternoon except Saturday. Why, thereís even a snack served enroute! Please identify the usual triumvirate of qualifiers.
57. I am unsure just when Alaska Airlines first began serving YVR (and I'm not talking about Horizon Air here). Were they doing so by late in 1988? If so, I'll then go with AS operating a B727-100 Vancouver - Seattle - San Francisco - Palm Springs.
Old Aug 9, 19, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
37- NAS-XXX-IND, not US via BWI ... let’s try Piedmont with a 733 over Charlotte (CLT)
Old Aug 9, 19, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS DL
31. (1983) Yes!!! Your signature Blackened Tri-Tips BBQ Sandwich has earned you an invitation to compete in the American Royal World Series of Barbecue being held this year in Kansas City, MO. Better yet, your travel agent has informed you that there’s an airline that offers a direct two-stop flight from Los Angeles into Kansas City’s Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport, much more convenient than Kansas City International (MCI) which is located 20 miles out of town. Name the airline, enroute stops and aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.

America West, Phoenix and Colorado Springs, Boeing 737-100
Old Aug 9, 19, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
57. I am unsure just when Alaska Airlines first began serving YVR (and I'm not talking about Horizon Air here). Were they doing so by late in 1988? If so, I'll then go with AS operating a B727-100 Vancouver - Seattle - San Francisco - Palm Springs.
Given this was pre-open skies, how would AS have gone about obtaining route authority in the day? Not sure how many U.S. airlines were allowed on a given route but UA had SEA-YVR in the day and WA had PDX-YVR s far as jet flight went. I think I flew QX between either or both PDX and SEA and YVR in the early '90s but can't remember if this was open skies or not.
Old Aug 10, 19, 1:46 am
Original Poster

57. (1988) Boy, you sure do miss Western Airlines and its convenient direct flight from Vancouver, BC down to your winter home down in Palm Springs, California. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that the YVR-PSP market is currently served via a single two-stop direct flight departing Vancouver every afternoon except Saturday. Why, there’s even a snack served enroute! Please identify the usual triumvirate of qualifiers.

am unsure just when Alaska Airlines first began serving YVR (and I'm not talking about Horizon Air here). Were they doing so by late in 1988? If so, I'll then go with AS operating a B727-100 Vancouver - Seattle - San Francisco - Palm Springs.

I too am unsure when Alaska started serving Vancouver but I know that whether they were or weren't, they weren't offering any direct service on this route per the 1988 schedule I referenced for this question. In what surely must be a dead giveaway though, I must admit that the airline we're looking for did indeed operate via the route you've submitted, i.e. YVR-SEA-SFO-PSP, albeit with a different aircraft than the 727-100. Please tap this one in at your leisure.
Old Aug 10, 19, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
37. (1988) Sheesh! You sure do travel out of Nassau a lot! This time you’ll need to find a flight between Nassau and Indianapolis. You envision a painful layover in Miami’s damp and outdated airport (that carpet smells really bad over on the F Concourse) but lookee here! There’s a single one-stop direct flight each day that even offers not one but two snacks enroute! Book it, Danno! And don’t forget to request the lacto-ovo vegetarian option, please. Airline, aircraft and enroute stop, please.
NAS-XXX-IND, not US via BWI ... let’s try Piedmont with a 733 over Charlotte (CLT)

Fair enough, but unfortunately it was not Piedmont either. We're looking for a different airline operating different equipment over a different routing. Please submit a different answer !
Old Aug 10, 19, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post

America West, Phoenix and Colorado Springs, Boeing 737-100

Was this a guess? If so, pretty good one there, T. Here's the schedule...

America West HP 12 Los Angeles (LAX) 750a-855a Phoenix (PHX) 920a-1142a Colorado Springs (COS) 1200n-228p Kansas City (MKC) 737-200 Daily
Old Aug 10, 19, 1:56 am
Original Poster

See Post 16191 & 16198 HINT: It's a twin-engine jet

42. (1983) Following a meeting with your client at the airport lounge in Philadelphia, you’ll continue on down to Raleigh, NC. Three airlines offer nonstop flights on this route but you’ll be traveling on the least expensive one – the only one to operate its aircraft in an all-Economy Class configuration while also still serving its cheapskate passengers a luncheon enroute. By now you surely know the drill – airline, aircraft, rank and serial number. Now drop and give me twenty! Or a correct answer!
HINT: This is the smallest jet serving this route

48. (1987) Only one airline operates between North America and London utilizing three different types of wide bodied aircraft on the same route – each built by a different manufacturer. Identify the airline and the city it serves London from with its three different types of widebodies. And what the heck - you might as well identify the aircraft types as well.
Wardair has been correctly identified with 747, DC-10 and A300 flights out of YYZ. This question remains open to other possibilities if you wish. I'm happy to check them out.

52. (1988) Normally you prefer to fly out of Houston’s William P. Hobby Airport, but since business this afternoon has you only two miles from Houston’s Intercontinental Airport, it makes sense to catch a flight from there to Albuquerque. As luck would have it, there’s a daily one-stop departure that afternoon that will put you into Albuquerque just in time for dinner at your favorite Mexican restaurant. Identify the airline, the one intermediate stop and the aircraft type, please.
A N S W E R E D

57. (1988) Boy, you sure do miss Western Airlines and its convenient direct flight from Vancouver, BC down to your winter home down in Palm Springs, California. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that the YVR-PSP market is currently served via a single two-stop direct flight departing Vancouver every afternoon except Saturday. Why, there’s even a snack served enroute! Please identify the usual triumvirate of qualifiers.
A N S W E R E D

60. (1982) Back in 1982, twin engine jets were not widely used on long predominantly over-water flights. Indeed, from the east coast of the United States, only one airline operated 737 flights to destinations in the Caribbean over 1000 miles away. Identify that airline, the U.S. gateway airport from which its 737 flights departed and the two Caribbean destinations so served.
HINT: It's a foreign airline

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 11, 19 at 3:22 pm

Search this Thread