Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Aug 6, 19, 12:40 am

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
32. (1982) You’re driving to work along I-70 through Kansas City when you notice a billboard. “KC’s only nonstop service to Orlando and Disney World!” it reads. Hmm… It would be nice to take the kids to Disney World this year, along with Sea World, Circus World, Baseball World and – for you and the wife – Liquor World. Maybe you can find that bottle of Chateau Neuf whatever it was out there. So, you quickly call the airline and book four seats – out and back. Identify the airline you’ll be flying upon along with the aircraft type please.

Pan Am, Boeing 727-200

Correct! Here's the eastbound schedule:

Pan Am PA 974 Kansas City (MCI) 745a-1104a B Orlando (MCO) 727-200 Daily

I'm flabbergasted! I wasn't going to guess the obvious answer, Eastern, because they didn't fly to Kansas City for a long time. Delta, too conservative. That left Pan Am and, a long shot, Air Florida.

Hmm... what if the big 3 US airlines were Pan Am (using the name but actually Delta), TWA (controlled by American and America West), and United (controlled by Continental and Texas International). But that was not to be. Instead, American, Delta, United.

You can't beat the experience. Pan Am.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
43. (1983) Right! After a productive two days in Raleigh, it’s time to head west to Kansas City, Mo. You fully expect to have to connect in Chicago on this segment but are pleased to discover that the RDU-MCI market is served by a single almost daily (X6) 2-stop direct flight. Well blow me down! Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the aircraft and of course the two enroute stops…

Both Seat 2A and jlemon are almost obsessive about mentioning the existence of First Class, so I tend to use the absence of that mention as a way to narrow the field . RDU-XXX-YYY-MCI on a D9S ... Eastern and Delta are certainly candidates, but for some reason I find both of them too obvious ... how about Ozark, stopping at St. Louis (STL) and Columbia (COU)

Ozark is correct, as is St. Louis as one of the stops. Columbia was not a stop however. We're looking for RDU - _____ - STL - MCI.

55. (1995) You’ve had a wonderful week enjoying the sand and surf (not to mention the rum and reefers) in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. Now it’s time to return home to West Elsdon, Illinois – a Chicago suburb located just one mile east of Chicago’s Midway International Airport. Unfortunately there was no direct or even convenient connecting service from Midway Airport and so you had to fly out of O’Hare where a jetway malfunction caused you to miss your connection in Miami and thus a full day of your vacation. Thankfully, one airline offers a single daily two-stop direct flight between Montego Bay and Chicago Midway. You’ve booked a pair of seats and look forward to a hassle-free return home. Please identify the airline, the two intermediate stops and the aircraft type.

Again, narrowing the field (again, unsuccessfully, but that’s half the fun of this Quiz) MBJ-XXX-YYY-MDW, not a D9S ... I’ll try Northwest via Tampa (TPA) and Detroit (DTW) on an A320

This sounds imminently reasonable, but no - we're still looking for a different airline that operated a different aircraft along a completely different routing... Pl-ease, guess again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 7, 19 at 10:44 am
Old Aug 6, 19, 10:46 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
Air Hawaii
(?)
Yep. Michael Hartley founded The Hawaii Express followed by Air Hawaii. The two DC-10-10 aircraft formerly operated by Western (N904WA & N905WA) were operated by both airlines. The Hawaii Express lasted just over a year and the subsequent Air Hawaii operation lasted about three months.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-...LytQ6fv6aK2ggA

While The Hawaii Express only flew LAX-HNL, Air Hawaii flew LAX-HNL and SFO-HNL. There were also two other air carriers which used the Air Hawaii name, the first in the late 1960's and the second in the early 1980's. Both were commuter operations flying interisland routes in Hawaii with small turboprop and prop aircraft (I think DHC-6 Twin Otter or Cessna 402).
Old Aug 6, 19, 10:59 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
43- both Seat 2A and jlemon are almost obsessive about mentioning the existence of First Class, so I tend to use the absence of that mention as a way to narrow the field....

Well, good Lord, you don't want us flying in coach, do you?

BTW, I'm on the requested upgrade list for all five of my upcoming flights on AA this coming week and next. Here's how it looks...

* LFT-DFW: Excellent chance
* DFW-LAX: Virtually no chance (but miracles do happen)
* LAX-STS: Excellent chance
* STS-DFW: Definitely maybe
* DFW-LFT: Excellent chance

And these flights will assure that I maintain my lowly Gold status with American next year.....although I really do not see much in the way of elite benefits these days.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
Well, good Lord, you don't want us flying in coach, do you?
I **REALLY** have to wonder how much of my F travel over the past 10 years (410 of 698 flights; 296 of 454 in the 5.5 years since I found the Quiz) is attributable to being on FT
Old Aug 6, 19, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Ozark is correct, as is St. Louis as one of the stops. Columbia was not a stop however. We're looking for RDU - _____ - STL - MCI.
43- well, that's a surprise, as I don't recall OZ running any short Atlantic seaboard segments except IAD<-->LGA ... Charlotte (CLT) is a geographically logical choice

55- MBJ-XXX-YYY-MDW; not TZ 72S, not NW 320 ... how about a USAir 737-400, stopping at their hubs in CLT and Pittsburgh (PIT)
Old Aug 7, 19, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by jrl767
Both Seat 2A and jlemon are almost obsessive about mentioning the existence of First Class, so I tend to use the absence of that mention as a way to narrow the field....
I think you might want to look up "obsessive" in the dictionary, J - when, that is, you can find time to break away from **REALLY** wondering how much of your F travel over the past 10 years has been attributable to being on FT. Now that sounds obsessive...

As to First Class travel in questions, its mention occasionally adds to the... ambiance of the scene we set as part of our questions. After all, you wouldn't want the questions to be presented in just sterile, black and white facts would you? That said, I also find that by mentioning First Class as part of the question, it can occasionally provide more detail than I care to give. As it is, our core participants - of which you are certainly one - are way too well versed in these things to give away too many clues.
jlemon and strickerj like this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 7, 19 at 12:30 pm
Old Aug 7, 19, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

43. (1983) After a productive two days in Raleigh, it’s time to head west to Kansas City, Mo. You fully expect to have to connect in Chicago on this segment but are pleased to discover that the RDU-MCI market is served by a single almost daily (X6) 2-stop direct flight. Well blow me down! Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the aircraft and of course the two enroute stops… We're looking for RDU - _____ - STL - MCI.

Well, that's a surprise, as I don't recall OZ running any short Atlantic seaboard segments except IAD<-->LGA ... Charlotte (CLT) is a geographically logical choice

Correct! Here's the schedule...

Ozark Airlines OZ 714 Raleigh (RDU) 1257p-152p Charlotte (CLT) 156p-230p S St. Louis (STL) 315p-410p Kansas City (MCI) DC-9-30 X6

55. (1995) You’ve had a wonderful week enjoying the sand and surf (not to mention the rum and reefers) in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. Now it’s time to return home to West Elsdon, Illinois – a Chicago suburb located just one mile east of Chicago’s Midway International Airport. Unfortunately there was no direct or even convenient connecting service from Midway Airport and so you had to fly out of O’Hare where a jetway malfunction caused you to miss your connection in Miami and thus a full day of your vacation. Thankfully, one airline offers a single daily two-stop direct flight between Montego Bay and Chicago Midway. You’ve booked a pair of seats and look forward to a hassle-free return home. Please identify the airline, the two intermediate stops and the aircraft type.

MBJ-XXX-YYY-MDW; not TZ 72S, not NW 320 ... how about a USAir 737-400, stopping at their hubs in CLT and Pittsburgh (PIT)?

Another imminently plausible choice, but no... it wasn't USAir either and of course the aircraft was not a 737-400 as I believe Alaska was the only operator at the time. I should imagine you'll get this one on your next attempt. Please, guess again!
Old Aug 7, 19, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

31. (1983) Yes!!! Your signature Blackened Tri-Tips BBQ Sandwich has earned you an invitation to compete in the American Royal World Series of Barbecue being held this year in Kansas City, MO. Better yet, your travel agent has informed you that there’s an airline that offers a direct two-stop flight from Los Angeles into Kansas City’s Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport, much more convenient than Kansas City International (MCI) which is located 20 miles out of town. Name the airline, enroute stops and aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.
A N S W E R E D

36. (1995) You commute regularly between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, a market served exclusively by US Airways. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a new airline offering five daily flights in each direction. You quickly book a seat on the evening departure out of Pittsburgh. Identify the airline and aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.
A N S W E R E D

37. (1988) Sheesh! You sure do travel out of Nassau a lot! This time you’ll need to find a flight between Nassau and Indianapolis. You envision a painful layover in Miami’s damp and outdated airport (that carpet smells really bad over on the F Concourse) but lookee here! There’s a single one-stop direct flight each day that even offers not one but two snacks enroute! Book it, Danno! And don’t forget to request the lacto-ovo vegetarian option, please. Airline, aircraft and enroute stop, please.

42. (1983) Following a meeting with your client at the airport lounge in Philadelphia, you’ll continue on down to Raleigh, NC. Three airlines offer nonstop flights on this route but you’ll be traveling on the least expensive one – the only one to operate its aircraft in an all-Economy Class configuration while also still serving its cheapskate passengers a luncheon enroute. By now you surely know the drill – airline, aircraft, rank and serial number. Now drop and give me twenty! Or a correct answer!

48. (1987) Only one airline operates between North America and London utilizing three different types of wide bodied aircraft on the same route – each built by a different manufacturer. Identify the airline and the city it serves London from with its three different types of widebodies. And what the heck - you might as well identify the aircraft types as well.
Wardair has been correctly identified with 747, DC-10 and A300 flights out of YYZ. This question remains open to other possibilities if you wish. I'm happy to check them out.

52. (1988) Normally you prefer to fly out of Houston’s William P. Hobby Airport, but since business this afternoon has you only two miles from Houston’s Intercontinental Airport, it makes sense to catch a flight from there to Albuquerque. As luck would have it, there’s a daily one-stop departure that afternoon that will put you into Albuquerque just in time for dinner at your favorite Mexican restaurant. Identify the airline, the one intermediate stop and the aircraft type, please.

53. (1988) You need to fly from your company headquarters in Sioux City, Iowa down to your westernmost field office in El Paso, Texas. You were sure you’d have to make a connection somewhere but lo and behold, the SUX-ELP market is served with a single 2-stop direct flight departing SUX every evening except Saturday at 625p. Please identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type to be flown.
A N S W E R E D

A N S W E R E D

57. (1988) Boy, you sure do miss Western Airlines and its convenient direct flight from Vancouver, BC down to your winter home down in Palm Springs, California. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that the YVR-PSP market is currently served via a single two-stop direct flight departing Vancouver every afternoon except Saturday. Why, there’s even a snack served enroute! Please identify the usual triumvirate of qualifiers.

60. (1982) Back in 1982, twin engine jets were not widely used on long predominantly over-water flights. Indeed, from the east coast of the United States, only one airline operated 737 flights to destinations in the Caribbean over 1000 miles away. Identify that airline, the U.S. gateway airport from which its 737 flights departed and the two Caribbean destinations so served.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 10, 19 at 12:55 am
Old Aug 7, 19, 5:20 pm

It's not NW or US
55. Very wild guess time....no doubt stimulated by the rum and the reefers (and I didn't know they had refrigerated railroad boxcars in Jamaica )......

Continental operating a B737-300 Montego Bay - Newark - Cleveland - Chicago Midway.
Old Aug 7, 19, 8:18 pm

Programs: AS DL
31. (1983) Yes!!! Your signature Blackened Tri-Tips BBQ Sandwich has earned you an invitation to compete in the American Royal World Series of Barbecue being held this year in Kansas City, MO. Better yet, your travel agent has informed you that there’s an airline that offers a direct two-stop flight from Los Angeles into Kansas City’s Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport, much more convenient than Kansas City International (MCI) which is located 20 miles out of town. Name the airline, enroute stops and aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.

Air 1, Boeing 727-100, stopping in Las Vegas and St. Louis before arriving at Kansas City Downtown Airport (only a space alien time traveler in 1983 would know about the name, Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport)
Old Aug 7, 19, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
36. (1995) You commute regularly between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, a market served exclusively by US Airways. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a new airline offering five daily flights in each direction. You quickly book a seat on the evening departure out of Pittsburgh. Identify the airline and aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.
I'm going to guess Nations Air with a 737-200
Old Aug 8, 19, 11:16 am

53. (1988) You need to fly from your company headquarters in Sioux City, Iowa down to your westernmost field office in El Paso, Texas. You were sure you’d have to make a connection somewhere but lo and behold, the SUX-ELP market is served with a single 2-stop direct flight departing SUX every evening except Saturday at 625p. Please identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type to be flown.
See Post 16159
53. I'll guess America West operating a B737-200 Sioux City - Omaha - Phoenix - El Paso.
Old Aug 8, 19, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon View Post

Very wild guess time....no doubt stimulated by the rum and the reefers (and I didn't know they had refrigerated railroad boxcars in Jamaica )...... Continental operating a B737-300 Montego Bay - Newark - Cleveland - Chicago Midway.

Not to wild at this point, as all of the other logical choices have been pretty much exhausted. Continental's 733 along the routing you've presented is correct! Here's the schedule:

Continental CO 442 Montego Bay (MBJ) 100p-550p L Newark (EWR) 750p-929p Cleveland (CLE) 1000p-1012p Chicago (MDW) 737-300 Daily

See Post 16159

I'll guess America West operating a B737-200 Sioux City - Omaha - Phoenix - El Paso.

I'm surprised this one stayed out there so long once we'd established the aircraft was a 737-200 and Frontier was no longer operating. You are almost 100% correct, Dr. Lemon, with the exception of Omaha as a stop. Here's what we know to be true so far...

HP XXX SUX - _____ - PHX - ELP 73S X6

Now then, where on earth could that other stop be?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 8, 19 at 12:17 pm
Old Aug 8, 19, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post

Air 1, Boeing 727-100, stopping in Las Vegas and St. Louis before arriving at Kansas City Downtown Airport (only a space alien time traveler in 1983 would know about the name, Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport)

Not a bad guess, but no - we're looking for a different airline operating a different aircraft type over a different routing. Please, deposit another quarter and guess again!

BTW, my sole flight with Air 1 was in 1984 between St. Louis and Kansas City aboard an ex-National 727-35. The airplane was configured in all-First Class and we flew into MCI. Thankfully the flight was on-time as I had to rush downtown to catch the westbound Southwest Chief to Albuquerque.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: