Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Aug 3, 19, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS DL
51. (1982) From your home in Rockford, Illinois, flying to your vacation home in Southern California means either driving to Chicago and flying to LAX from there or utilizing an interline connection through a variety of Midwestern cities. Recently however, Rockford became the beneficiary of a direct flight all the way through to Los Angeles. Okay, so it makes four stops but what the heck – let’s give it a try. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the four enroute stops in order.

In 1982, it was called Greater Rockford Airport. Now it's Chicago Rockford International Airport. It has minimal passenger service but is a focus city for UPS.

TWA, Boeing 727-200, RFD - ORD - STL - ABQ - PHX - LAX.

I do know that TWA had RFD-ORD-LGA service for a short time.
Old Aug 3, 19, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
I'm really surprised that this airline is proving to be so mysterious to you seasoned bunch of OAG (su)perusers.
I depend mostly on brain power and little hints. That's what makes it fun. Besides, I don't have any OAG's. I do admit use that timetable link mostly to remind me of airline names. However, their timetables mostly end by the 1960's.

With the Jet America question, I figured that the year was during the early years of deregulation when there were few upstarts. The upstarts didn't start flying until the mid and late 1980's.
Old Aug 4, 19, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
44. (1983) From Kansas City, you’re going to fly upon the only MD-80 operating in any direction other than east out of Kansas City. To make this even easier, it’s a one-stop flight direct to California – operating to an airport south of SFO, no less.

The two candidates that come immediately to mind are AA and CO, but they both ran few if any flights that made a substantial change in direction at their respective Texas hubs (DFW and IAH) ... so I’m drawn to an airline that really wasn’t known for a large MadDog operation — Frontier, via their Denver (DEN) hub, continuing to ... hmmmm ... let’s say San Diego (SAN)

A good bit of deduction there, J, and almost completely spot on. The airline was indeed Frontier operating through its Denver hub. The sole MD80 out of Kansas City continued on from Denver to Orange County.

Frontier Airlines FL 879 Kansas City (MCI) 658p-758p D Denver (DEN) 815p-927p S Orange County (SNA) DC-9-80 Daily

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 4, 19 at 12:19 am
Old Aug 4, 19, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
51. (1982) From your home in Rockford, Illinois, flying to your vacation home in Southern California means either driving to Chicago and flying to LAX from there or utilizing an interline connection through a variety of Midwestern cities. Recently however, Rockford became the beneficiary of a direct flight all the way through to Los Angeles. Okay, so it makes four stops but what the heck Ė letís give it a try. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the four enroute stops in order.

In 1982, it was called Greater Rockford Airport. Now it's Chicago Rockford International Airport. It has minimal passenger service but is a focus city for UPS.

TWA, Boeing 727-200, RFD - ORD - STL - ABQ - PHX - LAX.

You're off to a great start, T - TWA is correct but the aircraft was a 727-100 and you're routing is just a bit off. Here's what we know to be true...

RFD - ORD - STL - ____ - ____ - LAX.

Just trade out ABQ & PHX for the correct cities and Bob's your uncle!
Old Aug 4, 19, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
51- allow me to propose Tulsa (TUL) and Oklahoma City (OKC) as the stops between STL and LAX
Old Aug 4, 19, 2:24 am
Original Poster

51- Allow me to propose Tulsa (TUL) and Oklahoma City (OKC) as the stops between STL and LAX

So allowed - and with that we close out question 51. ^ Here's the schedule... along with a photo of what is - in my mind at least - one of the best airline liveries ever designed.

TWA 205 Rockford (RFD) 825a-901a Chicago (ORD) 945a-1053a S St. Louis (STL) 1215p-123p Tulsa (TUL) 224p-300p Oklahoma City (OKC) 330p-417p S Los Angeles (LAX) 727-100 X7

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 4, 19 at 3:07 am
Old Aug 4, 19, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
49. (1983) Between Honolulu and Los Angeles, there are just two airlines operating all-economy configured aircraft. Can you guess which two airlines they are? And while youíre at it, go ahead and have a try at which aircraft type each airline operates.
49- Iím making a withdrawal from the memory bank of past discussions here ... Pacific East Air with a stretch DC-8, and Transamerica (maybe 2x/week) with a 747
Old Aug 4, 19, 1:53 pm

49- I’m making a withdrawal from the memory bank of past discussions here ... Pacific East Air with a stretch DC-8, and Transamerica (maybe 2x/week) with a 747
My memory bank is that I gave an answer of Transamerica as all economy and it was a wrong answer to a different question.

I substitute Transamerica with World Airways, DC-10.

Years later, in fact, in recent years, World flew from Houston to Luanda, Angola as a wet lease.
Old Aug 4, 19, 1:59 pm

So allowed - and with that we close out question 51. ^ Here's the schedule... along with a photo of what is - in my mind at least - one of the best airline liveries ever designed.

TWA 205 Rockford (RFD) 825a-901a Chicago (ORD) 945a-1053a S St. Louis (STL) 1215p-123p Tulsa (TUL) 224p-300p Oklahoma City (OKC) 330p-417p S Los Angeles (LAX) 727-100 X7

I like that one but this one even more

Old Aug 4, 19, 2:10 pm

47. (1982) This airline offers the only one-stop no-change-of-plane direct flight between Oklahoma City and Mexico City. Identify the airline, the single enroute stop and the aircraft type flown.

Continental, IAH (Houston Intercontinental), DC-9
Old Aug 4, 19, 2:49 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, minuscule UA miles, former CO Plat

47. (1982) This airline offers the only one-stop no-change-of-plane direct flight between Oklahoma City and Mexico City. Identify the airline, the single enroute stop and the aircraft type flown.
47. Well, the answer may depend on when in 1982 the flight in question was being operated as Texas International (TI) was in the process of being merged into Continental that year. That being said, I'll go with TI operating a DC-9-30 OKC - IAH - MEX.
Old Aug 4, 19, 3:02 pm

49- Iím making a withdrawal from the memory bank of past discussions here ... Pacific East Air with a stretch DC-8, and Transamerica (maybe 2x/week) with a 747
Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
My memory bank is that I gave an answer of Transamerica as all economy and it was a wrong answer to a different question.

I substitute Transamerica with World Airways, DC-10.

Years later, in fact, in recent years, World flew from Houston to Luanda, Angola as a wet lease.
Just commentary and not the answer, around this time, there was a new airline, The Hawaii Express, not Hawaii Express, that flew a Boeing 747 LAX-HNL. The airline didn't last very long, maybe a year.
Old Aug 4, 19, 3:56 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
41. (1983) Youíve got a hectic week of business travel coming up. From your home in Provincetown, MA youíll first need to travel to Philadelphia. Youíve found a great connection through Boston (of course) that involves two aircraft built by the same manufacturer. One is the shortest model still currently flying while the other is the longest ever built by this manufacturer. Two airlines are involved. You already know the connection is via BOS. Identify both airlines and the respective equipment each flies.
I'm going with Provincetown Boston Airways (PBA, I can't remember their two letter code) operating a DC-3 PVC-BOS connecting to a Delta DC-8-71 BOS-PHL (probably a -71 by that time in 1983. I think the -61 to -71 conversions were done by then).

Eastern would have been the more obvious choice for BOS-PHL but I seem to think that all of EA's DC-8s were gone by 1983.

53. (1988) You need to fly from your company headquarters in Sioux City, Iowa down to your westernmost field office in El Paso, Texas. You were sure youíd have to make a connection somewhere but lo and behold, the SUX-ELP market is served with a single 2-stop direct flight departing SUX every evening except Saturday at 625p. Please identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type to be flown.
This seems like something UA would have done in the era when it was adding all sorts of dots on the map and bragging about being "first to fly all 50 states" (yes, they even flew to ILG for a period of time. Delaware is probably the state with the fewest scheduled airline departures in history. A lot of these UA flights to small markets were round-robins out of hubs. But I digress...

I will guess SUX-RAP-DEN-ELP on a UA 737.
Old Aug 4, 19, 5:17 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, minuscule UA miles, former CO Plat

45. (1983) With a successful conclusion to your business in Southern California, why not join some friends for a weekend of skiing at Jackson Hole, Wyoming? The deal is sealed upon discovering that thereís a once weekly nonstop from LAX straight to Jackson, Wyoming. Identify the airline and aircraft youíll be flying upon.
45. Another day, another wild guess......Western operating a B737-200 on a seasonal basis.
Old Aug 4, 19, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

49. (1983) Between Honolulu and Los Angeles, there are just two airlines operating all-economy configured aircraft. Can you guess which two airlines they are? And while you’re at it, go ahead and have a try at which aircraft type each airline operates.

Per jrl767: I’m making a withdrawal from the memory bank of past discussions here ... Pacific East Air with a stretch DC-8, and Transamerica (maybe 2x/week) with a 747My memory bank is that I gave an answer of Transamerica as all economy and it was a wrong answer to a different question.

Per Toshbaf: I substitute Transamerica with World Airways, DC-10.

Pacific East D8S is correct! However, TransAmerica and World are not correct. I know you'll get this one soon...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: